Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - Q1 2022

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
77Phoebe wrote:

AHH, you're one of those 'The only deaths that are directly caused by Covid-19 are important all the other problem caused by lockdowns and other pointless measures are utterly irrelevant.' people. Gotcha.

"Kid's will catch up if their parents and teachers help them." Dear God how utterly, utterly clueless. Of course the well off engaged kids in good schools will be fine, they always were going to be. What proportion of children in the US (for example) have parents that are unable or unwilling to help their children catch up? 25%? How's the US public school system? Robust? How are teachers meant to find time to 'help them out'?, it's just utter nonsense. And the most vulnerable will be the most affected.

If you think that we have not just caused massive, long term avoidable damage to our children by our actions over the last two years then I dispare. The loss of education will knock on to future generations. Jesus, kids don't even get it badly.

What kind of gotcha game are you playing ? We had a pandemic, and while you worry about kids education, the issue when we didn't have vaccines is that although kids are resillent, they are also the most socially interactive age group, and they can spread germs lighting quick. Saving lives and educating kids remotely was a good choice. As we have gone onwards to a time when vaccines are available, the kids have been in school with and without masks. And now due to that and a whole misinformed group of souls, we now have lighting quick transmission of a virus on it's 4th/'5th wave wreaking havoc though the world. Here locally we had to send schools remote, because their aren't enough teachers well enough to teach. Kids aren't getting to school because the bus drivers are sick, and teachers are quitting due to a host of issues.
So remote learning? Yes it was effective for all. And it was worthwhile to save lives and continue the education of the kids.

In person, always better, but the strains it is putting on the system will cause years of issues as their won't be enough teachers left.

I think the school closures made sense up until August/September 2021 when we didn't have vaccines widely available. Now they are not to protect the kids but to protect the much more fearful staff and if you are scared wear a mask and/or get the vaccine. A risk free environment doesn't exist and trying to create what isn't possible will only end in frustration. We can take steps to minimize risk but it can never be eliminated. If you are vaccinated and mask up there is literally nothing else you can do to protect yourself outside of living in a bubble.

Kids are low risk and vaccines are available for 5+ so what sense does isolating them have now. Bring the vaccines to the schools would be a good starting point which was what was done for many of the vaccines I got were at school.

Outside of the valid claim that the staff shortages are the issue that a school cannot function, fair point there but that is a school by school issue and not a general issue.

This is my opinion but I am concerned that we get so worried about illness with kids in general today. Maybe we were all abused in the past but I remember as a kid getting sick constantly, sometimes back to back flu's, chickenpox and cold after cold. (Chickenpox is a non-issue as there is a vaccine) but after time with the same interactions I stopped getting sick because our immune system has learned how to fight these things and you get less sick as you get older.

I understand the increased risk for Covid but these actions I hope aren't taken on a mass scale when flu outbreaks happen or even future covid ones as this will be endemic going forward. This is a reality of human life that isn't going away.

I don't know how it is stateside but there is a debate here in Canada as the pediatric society is pushing back against the general public health advice and pushing for the schools to be open. They cite the risk to Covid is less than the mental health and well being of children. Open the schools and bring the vaccines to the schools, if parents protest then give the parent the benefit of the doubt as the school. You will get 80% of the kids vaccinated. If a mandate is needed later implement that clear rationale.

https://www.cp24.com/news/pediatrician- ... -1.5732019

On a larger note we need to have a risk stratified approach going forward as we need to let those who are vaccinated and lower risk re-enter society with little to no restrictions. If you are scared or high risk then you don't have to interact. I actually think the US, Europe, Australia and Israel are moving in this direction.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5738198

This article states that 70% of the ICU beds in Ontario are taken up by unvaccinated people, hospitalizations are 55% unvaxxed to 45% vaxxed. This is despite a full non-essential lockdown and capacity restrictions before this. If it were 90%-10% or 99%-5% then the argument can be made that the vaccine is much more of a shield than it is. A significant amount of people getting admitted to the ICU have failing health and that is just the reality of life.

I am not sure that 100% vaccination rate would alleviate the strain on hospitals to a point where we can say that things are good.

We now generally accept that Covid will infect essentially everyone and if we took this a risk stratified approach and did what Sweden had been doing since the beginning would be have managed the same, better or worse? Had we invested more in early treatment would be further ahead?

Look, my kids have been back since the fall of 2020, with a brief break at the start of 2021. However in that time they were masked and distancing was followed. As of now, we can have all 5 and ups vaccinated, and classes are no issue. The problem being faced now is that we have so many unvaccinated, and we also have rules surrounding isolations. Schools are shutting down, not because teachers are afraid to teach, but because if anyone in their household is exposed, they have to isolate for 5-7 days. And repeat if the other members get sick.

This should be the last big deadly wave. Omicron is contagious enough and less severe enough to give a good push through the population.

However hundreds of thousands are dead because people pushed to keep masks off and remain unvaccinated, and that is where this original discussion started.

c933103

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
What kind of gotcha game are you playing ? We had a pandemic, and while you worry about kids education, the issue when we didn't have vaccines is that although kids are resillent, they are also the most socially interactive age group, and they can spread germs lighting quick. Saving lives and educating kids remotely was a good choice. As we have gone onwards to a time when vaccines are available, the kids have been in school with and without masks. And now due to that and a whole misinformed group of souls, we now have lighting quick transmission of a virus on it's 4th/'5th wave wreaking havoc though the world. Here locally we had to send schools remote, because their aren't enough teachers well enough to teach. Kids aren't getting to school because the bus drivers are sick, and teachers are quitting due to a host of issues.
So remote learning? Yes it was effective for all. And it was worthwhile to save lives and continue the education of the kids.

In person, always better, but the strains it is putting on the system will cause years of issues as their won't be enough teachers left.

Thing is what kids need, especially those age below 5, are less about learning knowledge, and more about interacting with other kids and engaging in a small society-like grouping, as well as be empowered to explore all sort of different things around them in a safely, guarded way. One more necessary thing to their parents are to have someone taking care of rhem, especially when they're working at lower-end, essential, non-office-job, that couldn't financially afford taking time off works mid-days to take care of them, nor would their work nature permit them to do so.
All three purposes as described above cannot be fulfilled by remote learning.
Of course, it will make infection cluster easy to occur, and in such environkent, it will probably immediately spread to everyone in those kindergartens, in addition to all the fanilies of those kindergartners. Yet, the pandemic have been going on for 2 years already. To those age below 5, that mean vast majority of their life are now living under such abnormal social-distant'ed setting, with limited chance to interact with others and have very few opportunity to explore the world around them. To themselves, might be even to their families, such risk to their future life is still higher than the risk of being infected and getting stuck into the bed a few weeks. As part of my current signature say, time in one's life can obly progress, and the kids nowadays will no longer be able to experience being a kids ib the future, and further keeping them off schools risk impairing their future development in mental and social capabilities. Watching people doing things over computer screen is hardly replacable by actually interacting in person, nor could they replace kids interacting and.playing with each others.

c933103

Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:24 pm

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOCC ... 1A2000000/
Shimane University and AsahiKasei in Japan to develop new organic vaccine using Hyaluronic Acid Nanogel, expected to cause less side effects and allow vaccinating kids, and is expected to be able to keep in room temperature for long time after dried into powder form.
Trial expected to start in 2024 with application expected from 2025 onward.

ElPistolero

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm

c933103 wrote:
Didn't NHS from UK deal with this by shortening off-duty time of infected staffs, and wasn't Germany having a relatively late start of Omicron wave and relatively early implementation of restrictions to flatten the curve? According to what I can recall from memory

Some Canadian provinces are considering making COVID positive (and, in some cases, symptomatic) healthcare workers continue to work, which is a tad more drastic than cutting off-duty time, I think.

“An internal document by The Ottawa Hospital dated Jan. 5 outlines its decision-making process for when health-care workers are allowed to work should they be exposed to or have COVID-19.

The hospital states that "if exceptionally critical to operations," workers who've tested positive for COVID-19 may be asked to come into work whether they're symptomatic or asymptomatic.“

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6309432

Quebec has been doing it for two weeks.

“In previous waves, we wanted to identify and remove at-risk employees as quickly as possible. With the current level of vaccination, we have to do otherwise — we have no choice,” he said, adding that 98 per cent of health workers are vaccinated.

“We made the decision that under certain conditions, positive staff will be able to continue working under a list of priority and risk management.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/8476807/queb ... -work/amp/

So, again, we’re witnessing a different level of overburdened and “stretch” here.

DeltaMD90

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:46 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Didn't NHS from UK deal with this by shortening off-duty time of infected staffs, and wasn't Germany having a relatively late start of Omicron wave and relatively early implementation of restrictions to flatten the curve? According to what I can recall from memory

Some Canadian provinces are considering making COVID positive (and, in some cases, symptomatic) healthcare workers continue to work, which is a tad more drastic than cutting off-duty time, I think.

“An internal document by The Ottawa Hospital dated Jan. 5 outlines its decision-making process for when health-care workers are allowed to work should they be exposed to or have COVID-19.

The hospital states that "if exceptionally critical to operations," workers who've tested positive for COVID-19 may be asked to come into work whether they're symptomatic or asymptomatic.“

“In previous waves, we wanted to identify and remove at-risk employees as quickly as possible. With the current level of vaccination, we have to do otherwise — we have no choice,” he said, adding that 98 per cent of health workers are vaccinated.

“We made the decision that under certain conditions, positive staff will be able to continue working under a list of priority and risk management.”

So, again, we’re witnessing a different level of overburdened and “stretch” here.

Would it be so crazy if they:

1. Are positive
2. Feel just fine
3. Work with COVID patients only (I'm sure there are a lot of them)
4. Double pay or something
5. Strictly voluntary

I can remember, back in the day, where we would sometimes get sick and our lives wouldn't be put on hold for weeks. Now that's not to say some people weren't inconsiderate (clearly very sick and spreading it everywhere) but if we want to move past this pandemic mindset, maybe we can go to work a little sniffly. If we cough we don't need to barricade ourselves for a couple weeks and contact everyone we were around in the proceding days.

I get COVID is a different beast, but it will be endemic one day (arguably it is now). We need to shift our thinking on sickness. I don't think this proposed policy is super crazy in the grand pre-2020 scheme of things (minus the supposed forced part)

lightsaber

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 pm

Well, my mom was doomed to catch this (a kidney patient) and has. The only solution is better vaccines, probably a nasal vaccine. However, she thus qualifies for the Pfizer pill, so we are arranging that.

ElPistolero wrote:
c933103 wrote:

I feel for the hospital workers. That is unfair and is to coverup management and government lack of planning, in my opinion.

What they should do is have family come in for "sanitary work" to offload the nurses. In particular for those that took no precautions.

The reality is staffing levels must be reduced to crisis levels. bummer for those who didn't take sensible precautions.

Lightsaber

art

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:02 pm

lightsaber wrote:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
The positivity rate of the USA is 38.8%.

OK, almost 40% of US population probably has COVID-19 at the moment. Given omicron's tranmissibility (R0 much greater than 1), surely just about everyone in the country who can get infected should be infected within a week or so - after which there should be a precipitate drop in new infections down to a very low level?

You can't get more than 100% of the population infected at any one time (with anything). And it is not likely that people infected with omicron can be reinfected just a few days after recovery. So there won't be many potential hosts available to infect pretty soon in the US, will there?

PS reported infections in UK continuing to drop very quickly - down from peak day 217K on Jan 4 to 81K reported today, Jan 15

Chemist

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:41 pm

That positivity rate is among people who go in to test. Not the same at all as 40% of the population having the virus.

art

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Chemist wrote:
That positivity rate is among people who go in to test. Not the same at all as 40% of the population having the virus.

Sorry, did not realise that it was not some kind of random candidate test result.

art

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:39 pm

Endemic Covid: Is the pandemic entering its endgame?

"We're almost there, it is now the beginning of the end, at least in the UK," Prof Julian Hiscox, chairman in infection and global health at the University of Liverpool, tells me. "I think life in 2022 will be almost back to before the pandemic."

Hope he is right. What do others think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59970281

Article refers to UK but could be valid for other similarly vaccinated countries. Beginning of the end for the UK?

casinterest

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:57 pm

art wrote:

"We're almost there, it is now the beginning of the end, at least in the UK," Prof Julian Hiscox, chairman in infection and global health at the University of Liverpool, tells me. "I think life in 2022 will be almost back to before the pandemic."

Article refers to UK but could be valid for other similarly vaccinated countries. Beginning of the end for the UK?

I think by the summer we go back to semi normal. Wit all the vaccinations, and now the pills/monoclonal injections we should hit a management point. Especially after Omicron has run it's pacing. The UK though is leading. Everyone else is still in the ramp up in the top 10. India and Brazil are looking to be getting ready for some bad weeks ahead.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ekly_table

lightsaber

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:58 pm

art wrote:

The UK is exceptionally well vaccinated. So yes, this applies to similarly well vaccinated countries, which does *not* include the USA. The UK is 53% boosted, the USA might hit 23% this weekend.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/co ... by+type%29

Unfortunately, Omicron needs an extra dose.

The best vaccinated areas of the USA will follow the UK pattern, the poorly vaccinated vaccinated will go through this for longer. Their hospitals will overflow for longer.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/us-c ... ~Wisconsin

That 53% boosted rate in the UK is amazing. Looking at the charts, the UK had a really rapid booster campaign until December 26th.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covi ... RL~GBR~FRA

The UK peaked January 6th, right about 2 weeks after all those boosters kicked in (recall vaccines take 2 weeks to be effective). Coincidence? We won't find out for weeks.
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/co ... ry=USA~GBR

Medicines, in particular vaccines, have a time delay until they work. Good on the UK for boosting so many.

Lightsaber

M564038

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:35 pm

Luckily Brazil is very well vaccinated, haven’t quite followed India closely.
In my country we have seen levels of infection at a level far, far above earlier in the pandemic. Hospitals and deaths are NOT following. They have been tracing everything and everyone and every case up until now, I got the bug last week, and when the tracers called me , they pretty much told me that pretty much no one they talk to at this point have symptoms worth panicking about. It has all changed. Remember these guys talk to EVERYONE infected. And this guy alone must have talked to thousands of infected people. He was looking forward to and expecting having a vacation shortly;-) Now, a few days later, they have stopped the tracing .
On a even more anecdotal note: My whole family has had Omicron over the last week(and a half), most if ua are still in isolation, but symptoms was over within hours. There was never even a question about thinking this was going to be very serious.

casinterest wrote:
art wrote:

I think by the summer we go back to semi normal. Wit all the vaccinations, and now the pills/monoclonal injections we should hit a management point. Especially after Omicron has run it's pacing. The UK though is leading. Everyone else is still in the ramp up in the top 10. India and Brazil are looking to be getting ready for some bad weeks ahead.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ekly_table

art

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:16 am

Good timing for Winter Olympics: first omicron case detected in Beijing. Source - BBC TV news.

c933103

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:49 pm

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... sc/031000c
Research claim the novel coronavirus acquire protective coating from human lung mucus called mucin to enable aerosolized transmission, and the protective coating acquired by Omicron is more effective than previous variants.

Toenga

Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:53 am

NZ is awaiting the inevitable spillage of Omicron from our border facilities into our general community,.
Today we have just over 1000 active cases, with marginally more from community transmission, all but one, delta, then in our border facilities, being very predominantly Omicron. As community cases continue to decline, border cases continue to rise so recently the border is by far the main source of cases, today 42 new community cases compared to 16 border cases. So the border is most definitely not closed. We are using this time to increase our vaccinations. Vaccinations for 5 to 11 year olds started this morning, and the booster vaccination program is continuing to ramp up to very high expected rates.

It is also helpful that existing low case numbers are giving medical staff considerable respite with opportunity for those summer holiday breaks after a tough late 2021. Also very helpful is the near local elimination of the more severe Delta varient.

But waiting for Omicron to land in the community is like awaiting the inevitable arrival of a cyclone. We know it is coming, we just don't know, the landing location, the arrival time, or the severity.
We know we will have to pivot away from comprehensive PCR testing, due to limitations of ultimate laboratory capacity, we just don't know whether we have adequate RAT test availability, or enough hospital surge capacity.
Most importantly we don't know the duration of the expected case surge and it's intensity.
The storm is coming but all is calm in the meantime (apart from the occasional tsunami!)
As Tonga is our nearest international neighbour and we have a significant Tongan community here, there is very considerable local concern for their welfare and safety.

Hopefully once Omicron has passed it's peak we will be able to much more clearly see a path to much more reintegrate with the rest of the world.

Toenga

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:22 am

Whoops
42 border cases versus 16 community cases.

yonahleung

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:38 am

Toenga wrote:
NZ is awaiting the inevitable spillage of Omicron from our border facilities into our general community,.
Today we have just over 1000 active cases, with marginally more from community transmission, all but one, delta, then in our border facilities, being very predominantly Omicron. As community cases continue to decline, border cases continue to rise so recently the border is by far the main source of cases, today 42 new community cases compared to 16 border cases. So the border is most definitely not closed. We are using this time to increase our vaccinations. Vaccinations for 5 to 11 year olds started this morning, and the booster vaccination program is continuing to ramp up to very high expected rates.

It is also helpful that existing low case numbers are giving medical staff considerable respite with opportunity for those summer holiday breaks after a tough late 2021. Also very helpful is the near local elimination of the more severe Delta varient.

But waiting for Omicron to land in the community is like awaiting the inevitable arrival of a cyclone. We know it is coming, we just don't know, the landing location, the arrival time, or the severity.
We know we will have to pivot away from comprehensive PCR testing, due to limitations of ultimate laboratory capacity, we just don't know whether we have adequate RAT test availability, or enough hospital surge capacity.
Most importantly we don't know the duration of the expected case surge and it's intensity.
The storm is coming but all is calm in the meantime (apart from the occasional tsunami!)
As Tonga is our nearest international neighbour and we have a significant Tongan community here, there is very considerable local concern for their welfare and safety.

Hopefully once Omicron has passed it's peak we will be able to much more clearly see a path to much more reintegrate with the rest of the world.

Now this is a well-planned transition from Covid-Zero to Endemic-Covid. At the rate Omicron is spreading it may be best for NZ to have it as soon as possible rather than have it over Southern Winter, which will make the peak even more difficult to handle.

Gavros33

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 am

Anyone know what to make of this on the World Health Organization website regarding the Pfizer vaccine and administering it in children? Kind of worrying as countries (including here in Australia) are vaccinating the under 12's.
They say under the subheading of Who Should Not Take This Vaccine "There are currently no efficacy or safety data for children below the age of 12 years. Until such data are available, individuals below 12 years of age should not be routinely vaccinated."

It's about a third of the way down the page. Link here...
https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-s ... 9--vaccine

c933103

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 am

Gavros33 wrote:
Anyone know what to make of this on the World Health Organization website regarding the Pfizer vaccine and administering it in children? Kind of worrying as countries (including here in Australia) are vaccinating the under 12's.
They say under the subheading of Who Should Not Take This Vaccine "There are currently no efficacy or safety data for children below the age of 12 years. Until such data are available, individuals below 12 years of age should not be routinely vaccinated."

FDA approved them with data they obtained according to my understanding? Probably WHO missed the note?

Kent350787

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:58 am

c933103 wrote:
Gavros33 wrote:

FDA approved them with data they obtained according to my understanding? Probably WHO missed the note?

The article linked is from early September 2021. Pfizer was approved in November 2021 by the US.

The WHO advice was updated in late November 2021. https://www.who.int/news/item/24-11-202 ... dolescents

Which the poster likely knew, having a look at their anti-vaccination post history

Gavros33

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:18 am

Kent350787 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Gavros33 wrote:

The article linked is from early September 2021. Pfizer was approved in November 2021 by the US.

The WHO advice was updated in late November 2021. https://www.who.int/news/item/24-11-202 ... dolescents

Which the poster likely knew, having a look at their anti-vaccination post history

Definitely not an anti-vaxxer. I'm fully vaccinated. Yes I was cautious and asked questions at the beginning, as any person should.
Same as this time, I was sent that article by a concerned parent and wanted clarification. Amazing how one gets shot down when asking a legitimate question.

But thank you for providing the answer I was seeking

ElPistolero

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Would it be so crazy if they:

1. Are positive
2. Feel just fine
3. Work with COVID patients only (I'm sure there are a lot of them)
4. Double pay or something
5. Strictly voluntary

I can remember, back in the day, where we would sometimes get sick and our lives wouldn't be put on hold for weeks. Now that's not to say some people weren't inconsiderate (clearly very sick and spreading it everywhere) but if we want to move past this pandemic mindset, maybe we can go to work a little sniffly. If we cough we don't need to barricade ourselves for a couple weeks and contact everyone we were around in the proceding days.

I get COVID is a different beast, but it will be endemic one day (arguably it is now). We need to shift our thinking on sickness. I don't think this proposed policy is super crazy in the grand pre-2020 scheme of things (minus the supposed forced part)

No, it’s not. I believe it’s the right thing to do, given that there are 30 year old Stage 4 cancer patients having their surgeries delayed.

It doesn’t change the fact that - two years into the pandemic - these healthcare systems are less capable of dealing with a surge than peer jurisdictions. And a big part of it is due to staffing idiosyncrasies and overly powerful medical associations that fought against foreign credentials in the past, and are now complaining about being understaffed.

Sad thing is - I don’t think they’re willing to admit their role/errors in this mess even now.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:44 pm

Gavros33 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Definitely not an anti-vaxxer. I'm fully vaccinated. Yes I was cautious and asked questions at the beginning, as any person should.
Same as this time, I was sent that article by a concerned parent and wanted clarification. Amazing how one gets shot down when asking a legitimate question.

Apologies if I misread your post history and found your answer in the first link on my Google search.

Circling back to what is now pandemic ancient history read like a classic anti-vax tactic to sow misinformation.

Vaxxed for 5-11yo where I am is now over 12%, starting from zero just a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully vax and other strategies will help as schools return in another couple of weeks.

M564038

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm

Meanwhile, Norwegian health authorities make vaccination available for 5-11 year olds, but ask parents to consider not vaccinating as children doesn’t get very ill, and current vaccines doesn’t stop transmission.

They say this group is better protected by getting Omicron.

I don’t know what to think of it, to be honest.

(Note: I have my 3 doses, the kids 12+ have their dose, and we have been infected but will continue to take any additional booster recommended by the authorities)

Kent350787 wrote:
Gavros33 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Apologies if I misread your post history and found your answer in the first link on my Google search.

Circling back to what is now pandemic ancient history read like a classic anti-vax tactic to sow misinformation.

Vaxxed for 5-11yo where I am is now over 12%, starting from zero just a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully vax and other strategies will help as schools return in another couple of weeks.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:17 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Gavros33 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

The Norwegian response is interesting, and it would be useful to see the data they have used to advise that uncontrolled infection is better for under 12s.

Just noting that I've seen from other forums that the now superseded WHO advice from September was circulating yestreday, and seems likely to have been part of some anti-vax "cause concern" talking points from yesterday.

ANd the plot thickens - there is a note on the WHO page from September indicating it was updated on 5 January 2022. Yet it doesn't include the advice on 24 November 2021. What a silly way to allow an opportunity for anti-vaxxers to sow doubt.

M564038

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 pm

This is the Health authority’s official press release in english: (their translation, which does give a slightly milder impression than some of the statements given in norwegian)

https://www.fhi.no/en/news/2022/offer-o ... -expanded/

The government press release actually puts it more clearly: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/v ... id2895513/

Kent350787 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
Gavros33 wrote:

The Norwegian response is interesting, and it would be useful to see the data they have used to advise that uncontrolled infection is better for under 12s.

Just noting that I've seen from other forums that the now superseded WHO advice from September was circulating yestreday, and seems likely to have been part of some anti-vax "cause concern" talking points from yesterday.

ANd the plot thickens - there is a note on the WHO page from September indicating it was updated on 5 January 2022. Yet it doesn't include the advice on 24 November 2021. What a silly way to allow an opportunity for anti-vaxxers to sow doubt.

c933103

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 am

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/20 ... 13275.html

North Korea reportedly only want Pfizer or Moderna vaccines

c933103

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:43 am

https://m.mingpao.com/ins/%E6%B8%AF%E8% ... 4%E5%87%BA
Honf Kong government decided to destroy all hamsters in all pet shops in Hing Kong after a pet shop have been found to be infected with Delta Plus AY4.2 variant and have 1 customer and some hamsters affected.

art

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:49 am

M564038 wrote:
Meanwhile, Norwegian health authorities make vaccination available for 5-11 year olds, but ask parents to consider not vaccinating as children doesn’t get very ill, and current vaccines doesn’t stop transmission.

I believe that omicron is seen as an exceptionally transmissible virus. If it made people as ill as delta its appearance would have had very serious consequences - same level of serious illness in infectees but many, many more. Fortunately its effects are relatively mild. I go along with the view of the Norwegian health authorities (partially) when they say that 5-11 year olds are better protected by getting omicron rather than being vaccinated.

I would like to champion the spread of omicron. I hope that all human beings are infected with this variant of COVID-19. I see the emergence of this variant as providing a window of opportunity, the opportunity for all people to catch it and thereby imbue everyone with a level of protection against future variants that may have far more serious effects on infectees (eg the pneumonia induced by some earlier variants). The window of opportunity for people to get this free form of innoculation may not be that wide - another mutation may appear that has far more serious effects - so I think we should be welcoming omicron into our countries, not trying to keep it out or trying to stamp it out (as I understand that China, for example, is trying to do).

I hope those Norwegian kids all get omicron ASAP.

Grizzly410

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:55 am

art wrote:
I go along with the view of the Norwegian health authorities (partially) when they say that 5-11 year olds are better protected by getting omicron rather than being vaccinated.

I have trouble understanding how it can be worse to get a vaxx protecting against getting covid and hard effects rather than getting covid without protection.

art

Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:12 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
art wrote:
I go along with the view of the Norwegian health authorities (partially) when they say that 5-11 year olds are better protected by getting omicron rather than being vaccinated.

I have trouble understanding how it can be worse to get a vaxx protecting against getting covid and hard effects rather than getting covid without protection.

I'm no medic and please, someone who knows correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it the vaccines produce an immune response to a part of the virus (the spike?) whereas infection induces an immune response to more parts or to all parts of the virus.

I guess that the people in Norway would not prefer infection by omicron to vaccination if there were data showing serious illness in 5-11 year old children who caught omicron.

Francoflier

Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm

art wrote:
I would like to champion the spread of omicron. I hope that all human beings are infected with this variant of COVID-19. I see the emergence of this variant as providing a window of opportunity, the opportunity for all people to catch it and thereby imbue everyone with a level of protection against future variants that may have far more serious effects on infectees (eg the pneumonia induced by some earlier variants). The window of opportunity for people to get this free form of innoculation may not be that wide - another mutation may appear that has far more serious effects - so I think we should be welcoming omicron into our countries, not trying to keep it out or trying to stamp it out (as I understand that China, for example, is trying to do).

Weird thing to say, but eventually they'll pretty much all get it anyway. We all will.

Omicron is more transmissible because it tends to concentrate in the airways rather than in the lungs. The very thing that makes it more transmissible also makes it less deadly. Even for viruses, there is no free lunch.

art

Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Francoflier wrote:
art wrote:

Weird thing to say, but eventually they'll pretty much all get it anyway. We all will.

I hope you are right - that we will all get omicron rather than some future variant that is more transmissible and produces more severe symptoms. That's my point - better to get a relatively innocuous form of COVID-19 which is currenly available than to risk a nastier form turning up, displacing omicron and removing the possibility of getting a fairly benign form of the virus.

lightsaber

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 pm

art wrote:
M564038 wrote:

I believe that omicron is seen as an exceptionally transmissible virus. If it made people as ill as delta its appearance would have had very serious consequences - same level of serious illness in infectees but many, many more. Fortunately its effects are relatively mild. I go along with the view of the Norwegian health authorities (partially) when they say that 5-11 year olds are better protected by getting omicron rather than being vaccinated.

Slow it down. The hospitals are in crisis levels of care.
https://news.yahoo.com/meritus-health-d ... 17079.html

I know all the hospitals my relatives and friends work in are doing that. That means when you hit the ER, they really try not to admit you to the hospital. It means, they cannot think about what is best for the patient, but rather what is best for the community.

There are also long haul symptoms. Less lung damage, but still the nerve damage. Let us hope for a lower prevalence of long covid. (I had to have an operation to fix my worst long covid symptoms.)
https://www.verywellhealth.com/omicron- ... ar-5215533

Lightsaber

Grizzly410

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:12 pm

art wrote:
Grizzly410 wrote:
art wrote:

I'm no medic and please, someone who knows correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it the vaccines produce an immune response to a part of the virus (the spike?) whereas infection induces an immune response to more parts or to all parts of the virus.

I guess that the people in Norway would not prefer infection by omicron to vaccination if there were data showing serious illness in 5-11 year old children who caught omicron.

OK, I don't dispute the fact that a infection can get you a futur better coverage. But we know being vaxx doesn't prevent getting infected (reduce odds) and reduce significantly the hard forms of covid then I don't see the benefit of exposing childs unprotected rather than just wait for them to get a milder form sometime after vaxx.

That's where I'm a bit lost on this position

Chemist

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:47 pm

I'm wondering out loud if while worse for hospitals in the near term, the rapid spread of omicron is better for society in the longer haul, as by getting many people immune quickly (especially those not vaxxed), it could mean a concurrent large population immunity that would suppress later infections and make the prevalence of the virus much lower.

casinterest

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 pm

Chemist wrote:
I'm wondering out loud if while worse for hospitals in the near term, the rapid spread of omicron is better for society in the longer haul, as by getting many people immune quickly (especially those not vaxxed), it could mean a concurrent large population immunity that would suppress later infections and make the prevalence of the virus much lower.

It is already bad in areas where the population has decided that is better to go unvaccinated.

https://www.newsweek.com/dozens-patient ... ut-1670139

"In the past 24 hours, we've had to deny 73 requests for a patient transfer to our hospitals," Integris said. "The total number of denied patient transfers to one of our hospitals for the last 7 days is 447."

https://www.wavy.com/news/health/corona ... pitalized/

Current hospitalizations: +136 patients (3,812 total currently and 3,871 7-day average, record average) ICU numbers at record high levels (676 patients), ventilator usage at record levels (377 patients)

StarAC17

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:33 pm

Chemist wrote:

It would fast track it to endemic status but you have to weigh this among many factors.

Is society willing to sacrifice people unnecessarily?
Are people dying because they are frail and would die anyways or is the hospitals flooded to the point where triaging will actually have to happen? When you have overloaded hospitals you have people that die unnecessarily. Some of that is acceptable but on a mass scale it largely isn't

Add in non-essential procedures postponed and non-essential isn't really the right term. Most times its not life threatening but needed and could be life threatening if postponed.

If an area is willing to do this go for it but that means losing people each and everyone care about.

The idea that even one death from covid is a failure is absurd but so is the let it rip attitude. There will be a balance and it should lie within risk stratification.

Mask up and stay away if you are high risk or simply scared.
If you are young and healthy you can take more risk but everyone should get the vaccine to give them the best odds that when you inevitably get this it is mild and you might not even notice.

The vaccines messaging needs to change as it is for individual protection and not community protection. With the US being an very individualistic society this might be a way to get some on the fence to actually get it.

M564038

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:40 am

You have to remember it is a small country, but: They simply haven’t seen any children at all hospitalized since at least Delta took over, but they have seen data on (very rare) health effects on younger people from the vaccine. As for right now they don’t have anyone at all in intensive care with omicron, and they believe it’s been here since mid-november. Everyone in intensive care are «left overs» from Delta. So even though they urge unvaccinated adults to get their shots, they simply don’t have the data to recommend it strongly for children <12.

Grizzly410 wrote:
art wrote:
Grizzly410 wrote:

OK, I don't dispute the fact that a infection can get you a futur better coverage. But we know being vaxx doesn't prevent getting infected (reduce odds) and reduce significantly the hard forms of covid then I don't see the benefit of exposing childs unprotected rather than just wait for them to get a milder form sometime after vaxx.

c933103

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:49 am

M564038 wrote:
You have to remember it is a small country, but: They simply haven’t seen any children at all hospitalized since at least Delta took over, but they have seen data on (very rare) health effects on younger people from the vaccine. As for right now they don’t have anyone at all in intensive care with omicron, and they believe it’s been here since mid-november. Everyone in intensive care are «left overs» from Delta. So even though they urge unvaccinated adults to get their shots, they simply don’t have the data to recommend it strongly for children <12.

Grizzly410 wrote:
art wrote:

Meanwhile the data from 2021Q4 thread from South Africa pointed to higher hospitalization rate among those age <5?

leader1

Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm

HK’s zero Covid hysteria continues. This time, they’re going after hamsters.

https://apnews.com/article/hong-kong-co ... 79e962fc35

Not only that, but those who bought hamsters after December 22nd have to quarantine.

Customers who bought hamsters in Hong Kong from Dec. 22 will be subject to mandatory testing and are urged not contact others until their tests have returned negative. If their hamsters test positive, they will be subject to quarantine.

Amazing times we live in.

lightsaber

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:15 pm

A pair of hospitals in Southbay San Diego went to disaster care. In other words, declared things were so bad that they turned away all ambulances.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... ?_amp=true

I wonder if our case peak is a lack of testing or real. What we know is hospitalizations lag infections. I have a friend in San Diego whose son occasionally has seizures and when they happen, there aren't many hospitals with the specialists to treat him and one was closed. Rhoo Rhoo.

Lightsaber

yonahleung

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:50 pm

leader1 wrote:
HK’s zero Covid hysteria continues. This time, they’re going after hamsters.

https://apnews.com/article/hong-kong-co ... 79e962fc35

Not only that, but those who bought hamsters after December 22nd have to quarantine.

Customers who bought hamsters in Hong Kong from Dec. 22 will be subject to mandatory testing and are urged not contact others until their tests have returned negative. If their hamsters test positive, they will be subject to quarantine.

Amazing times we live in.

The "quarantine" is in a detention centre in solitary confinement for 21 days. Who would hand over their hamsters when this will :1) guarantee the death of the hamsters; and 2) potentially end up in detention centre for 21 days for a flu-like virus is really beyond me.

STT757

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm

According to wastewater testing it looks like the Northeast US peaked two weeks ago, it's still going up in other parts of the US that are a couple weeks behind NY, NJ etc.. The US should be on the downward trajectory with COVID cases by early February although peak hospitalizations may last until March. We should see most protocols be stripped away by late Spring.

casinterest

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:03 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/health/c ... index.html
oth vaccination and prior infection help protect against new Covid-19 infections, but vaccination protects against hospitalization significantly more than natural immunity from prior infection alone, according to a study published Wednesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Although the epidemiology of COVID-19 might change as new variants emerge, vaccination remains the safest strategy for averting future SARS-CoV-2 infections, hospitalizations, long-term sequelae, and death," the researchers wrote.

Interesting study that pushes the vaccines. However we will have to see how this wave plays out around the world. At this point, Omicron is going to spread wide and far for awhile .We will have to see what the next variant brings.

Together, the totality of the evidence suggests really that both vaccination and having survived Covid each provide protection against subsequent reinfection, infection and hospitalization," said Dr. Eli Rosenberg, New York State Deputy Director for Science. "Having Covid the first time carries with it significant risks, and becoming vaccinated and staying up-to-date with boosters really is the only safe choice for preventing COVID infection and severe disease."

Here they are still pointing out the issues with long Covid, and I wonder if that might be a competing issue in the immunity question.

cpd

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:09 pm

Here even people triple vaccinated are getting long Covid as well, even those who are fit and healthy.

It seems random who gets it.

c933103

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:52 pm

c933103 wrote:
https://m.mingpao.com/ins/%E6%B8%AF%E8%81%9E/article/20220118/s00001/1642493274730/%E6%96%B0%E5%86%A0%E7%96%AB%E6%83%85-%E6%BC%81%E8%AD%B7%E7%BD%B2%E3%80%8C%E4%BA%BA%E9%81%93%E8%99%95%E7%90%86%E3%80%8D%E5%85%A8%E6%B8%AF%E5%AF%B5%E7%89%A9%E5%BA%97%E5%80%89%E9%BC%A0-%E4%BF%8312%E6%9C%8822%E6%97%A5%E5%BE%8C%E8%B2%B7%E5%80%89%E9%BC%A0%E5%B8%82%E6%B0%91%E4%BA%A4%E5%87%BA
Honf Kong government decided to destroy all hamsters in all pet shops in Hing Kong after a pet shop have been found to be infected with Delta Plus AY4.2 variant and have 1 customer and some hamsters affected.

And people are now abandoning their hamsters all across street, due to the way how government send out their message of them being a risk of source of infection without telling the people how to handle them.
This just ensure the virus is going to circulate within domestic animal community, I think
And apparently other small mammals like rabbits are also in the kist of animals that the government is going to kill

c933103

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:53 pm

cpd wrote:
Here even people triple vaccinated are getting long Covid as well, even those who are fit and healthy.

It seems random who gets it.

But is there any quantified number on them being similar or different levels amid vaccination and boosters?

lightsaber

Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:33 pm

The attitude locally seems to be "everyone will get it." I know people who are sick with coronavirus fully intending to go to the DMV and other public places because what can you do? These are responsible people who have seen everyone else be irresponsible and not care, so they have stopped caring.

I believe this is fatigue. In particular, "why should I behave when others are not "
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/a ... 469c16dd67

People have “heard or don’t believe” that the virus can be contained, Caplan said, and a part of that problem is messaging.

I've posted enough links in this thread on the hospital crisis. Meh, people don't care.

Lightsaber