Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Cruise Ship/Ocean Liner Thread -2022

Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:43 pm

Disney has announced the acquisition of a partially completed ship has come to terms to acquire the unfinished 6,000-guest Global Dream that is sitting at MV Werften.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... dream.html

Some welcome news for the Global Dream . Will be interesting to see what Disney do to it .

jetwet1

Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:38 pm

That's a big step up from even the Wish for Disney, I have no doubts that can fill her, but at what price point?

johns624

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:17 pm

johns624 wrote:
Two more weeks and we'll be on Norwegian Pearl out of Boston, on our way to Bermuda for a short thawing...
It was a great cruise. I was a bit of a weather shock going from Bermuda to Bar Harbor, Maine.

OA260

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:41 pm

Spirit of Discovery was in Arrecife the other day. Its a ship I want to try but not yet old enough !

Im just back from a 5 nighter on MSC Seaview. There were some good points but a lot of bad. While some things have improved namely the staff attitude the food is still not there yet compared to other lines. Half of the bars were closed during the day meaning crowds and long waits for drinks at the ones that were open.

There were 2 good shows and the deluxe balcony cabin
I was in was pleasant enough even if the colour scheme was a bit naff. The clientele were a bit rough also and seem to have left their manners at home. Pushing and shoving and jumping queues. The elevators were a real pain also as no buttons inside and wait times were long.

I paid for two speciality restaurants but was disappointed with the quality. The staff were very
friendly though. As it stands its not a product for me. If you were a family with young kids and not bothered about the food then its a cheap cruise . The kids areas with splash zones / waterslides were very good though.

Another big issue for me was people smoking on balconies in full view of the bridge ! It seemed to be
ignored.

jetwet1

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:25 pm

Viking Polaris hit by rouge wave, 1 dead,4 injured.

https://news.trenddetail.com/news/266540.html

Sailing south of Cape Horn she was hit by a rouge wave at 10:40pm local time.

Passengers on other ships are reporting 25ft waves and hurricane force winds. While not a mega ship, this ship is not exactly small, 672 ft in length and 30,150 GT.

This is one area of the world personally I have on my bucket list,I do have to wonder if large picture windows low down on the hull in these areas is a good idea.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

This is one area of the world personally I have on my bucket list,I do have to wonder if large picture windows low down on the hull in these areas is a good idea.

Here is another article. Passengers described it as a major shock to the ship. I agree that the windows being below the freeboard could have contributed. That is normally a major no-no for ocean vessels. The windows are probably reinforced, but rogue waves have been known to tear off steel hatches.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/rogu ... -rcna59819

bananaboy

Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:55 am

The Star Cruises fleet continues to be scrapped. Superstar Libra (formerly Norwegian Sea) has just arrived at Aliaga, whilst Superstar Aquarius and Superstar Gemini (formerly Norwegian Wind / Norwegian Dream respectively) are at Alang, India.

https://www.cruisehive.com/former-norwe ... ping/89076

Sad to see the Libra scrapped as, as the Norwegian Sea, she at least had some charm. The other two though .. dated, horrible layout, pretty dark inside. The only notable thing about the Norwegian Dream was the party trick with the funnel to allow passage through the Kiel Canal.

Definitely not sad to see those two go.

northstardc4m

Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm

bananaboy wrote:
The Star Cruises fleet continues to be scrapped. Superstar Libra (formerly Norwegian Sea) has just arrived at Aliaga, whilst Superstar Aquarius and Superstar Gemini (formerly Norwegian Wind / Norwegian Dream respectively) are at Alang, India.

https://www.cruisehive.com/former-norwe ... ping/89076

Sad to see the Libra scrapped as, as the Norwegian Sea, she at least had some charm. The other two though .. dated, horrible layout, pretty dark inside. The only notable thing about the Norwegian Dream was the party trick with the funnel to allow passage through the Kiel Canal.

Definitely not sad to see those two go.

Lack of balconies made them undesirable for resale. The Libra was also due for emissions work apparently adding millions to any price tag if anyone wanted to sail her into the EU, US, Canada, etc.

ArchGuy1

Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:27 am

The Queen Mary partially reopened to the public today after being closed to the public since March 2020 due to COVID-19 and repairs required due to the structural condition of the ship. Only tours are avaliable at the moment, but the hotel and restaurants are due to reopen early next year. This is some good news for a historic ocean liner that has been shut down for a while. https://abc7.com/queen-mary-long-beach- ... /12575720/

Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:48 am

jetwet1 wrote:

Here is another article. Passengers described it as a major shock to the ship. I agree that the windows being below the freeboard could have contributed. That is normally a major no-no for ocean vessels. The windows are probably reinforced, but rogue waves have been known to tear off steel hatches.

Here is further news coverage of the Viking Polaris rogue wave incident, with video of the damage.

The wave did indeed shatter the windows below the freeboard. The wave penetrated the ship with considerable force, taking out interior walls and tossing passengers around, flooding rooms several levels into the ship.

https://abc7ny.com/antarctica-cruise-ro ... /12539133/

SQ22

Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:04 am

Please continue discussion in Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread -2023 which can be found here:

Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread -2023

Thread will be locked.