Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luckyone
Topic Author

Re: Australian Open 2022

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:28 am

A101 wrote:
889091 wrote:
Spain is now investigating:

Fresh reports emerged on Thursday claiming Spanish authorities are investigating Djokovic over his arrival into the country.

The tennis star said his agent incorrectly ticked “no” on a form asking if he had travelled in the 14 days before leaving for Australia, when in fact he had gone from Serbia to Spain in that time, where he practised ahead of the year’s first grand slam.

Spanish publication COPE reports agencies are looking into whether he entered the country illegally.

Tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg revealed Spains’s policy stipulates “unvaccinated tourists” are not allowed to enter the country and he’d need to prove his work was “essential” to get in.

Fellow tennis reporter Gaspar Ribeiro Lanca tweeted: “Breaking news: COPE reports that the Spanish Government is now investigating whether unvaccinated Novak Djokovic entered the country illegally in late December.

“Since September 20, citizens from Serbia need a vaccine certificate OR a special exemption to enter Spanish territory but so far the authorities say they did not receive any request from Djokovic.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/li ... 5173853183

I hope he is barred from both Spain & Australia indefinitely

That Australian federal judge is looking like a goose now

The governmental and procedural michegoss aside, how many “whoopsies” can one dude realistically go make? You think you’re infected and you have some conflicting test results. You claim to socially distance but photographic evidence proves otherwise. You don’t cancel an interview nor do you tell the guy you tested positive. You don’t declare to the Spanish authorities you tested positive. You don’t check the right box on the visa form of a country you’ve been to over a dozen times. I’m not buying the whoopsie argument. We are TWO YEARS into a pandemic with subsequent rules and protocols. And this is not somebody who lives under a rock. This wouldn’t even have been his first infection or first trip (or dozenth) trip dealing with protocols. He held a big series of tournaments in Spring 2020 which ended up being a Superspreader event. This isn’t a momentary lapse in judgment. It’s a series of bad decisions made in real time, by a guy who’s made his living traveling the world for a better part of twenty years and has all the money in the world to pay the right people to get little things right. The more likely explanation is he and/or his people just did not care.

A101

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 am

I’m a bit confused here, reports are saying that if they cancel his visa he can go to the federal court to appeal, but the home affairs link says he cannot

What’s right what’s wrong ?

Appeals
If we refuse or cancel your visa, you might be able to request a review of our decision. You cannot appeal a decision if it was made by the minister personally.

The independent Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) is responsible for reviewing departmental decisions including visa cancellation decisions.

To seek a review by the AAT, you must lodge your application by the date specified in your decision notification letter.
For decisions that are to be reviewed by the AAT, the AAT cannot extend the time for making a valid review application. You must apply for review within the time period identified in the decision notification letter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/breenie9/sta ... 4f493dd959

T4thH

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 am

T4thH wrote:
art wrote:
Such a shame that Novak has bizarre opinions that jeopardise his ability to practise his skills internationally.

Should he be allowed to stay?

For
1. Current champion in Australia's leading tennis tournament
2. ?

Against
1. Not vaccinated
2. Possibly flouted COVID isolation rules in Serbia
3. Possibly failed to declare travel movements to border force
4. ?
+ politics (sounds like kicking him out would be a popular move with Australian citizens)

4: The positive test result is highly likely fabricated. The QR code of the positive test has a different date as the rest of the positive test certificate. The date of the QR code is from 26-Dec-2021, the date of the test on the print out is from 16-Dec-2021. The test ID number of the positive test is higher (official from 16-Dec-2021, according QR code from 26-Dec-2021, 7371999) than this one from the negative test result from 22-Dec-2021 (7320919).
I am really interested, how they will try to explain these interesting facts.
If they are not able....to be fair, a 2 years ban from the international tennis will be fine. And of course a several year travel ban to Australia, he has broken many different laws. And of course, for everyone else of his team, that was involved, a 2 to 4 years ban or even a livelong ban to be part of this tennis circus.

OK, perhaps, they are able to explain it, as example, the QR code date and the test ID number are every times "new calculated", when the test is printed or the print out is requested e.g. So perhaps they have printed the negative result on 22-Dec-2022...and the positive result print out was performed on 26-Dec-2021.

Should he be allowed to stay?
Depending on the result.
In the bad case.....as long as needed and in a small room with a locked door, till a seat in the next jet to Serbia or another airport with the connection flight to Serbia is available.

Source is in German, use the Google translator.
https://www.n-tv.de/sport/Wurde-der-PCR-Test-von-Djokovic-gefaelscht-article23051183.html

Hang this criminal guy higher. The positive test result from 16-Dec-2021 is pretty sure fabricated and I hope that this criminal and everyone involved in his crime will get a livelong ban for travel to Australia and a several years ban for participation in the tennis circus.

The QR code proves, the "positive" test result is from 26-Dec-2021 and the print out of the certificate was performed on the same date. Does anyone believe, the positive test result is from him? Get this corrupt guy in the laboratory, who has produced this faked test result for him. So no positive test on 16-Dec-2021, no second Corona infection. As said, hang this criminal higher.
https://zerforschung.org/posts/djokovic-pcr-test-en/
Last edited by T4thH on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

art

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 am

A101 wrote:
889091 wrote:
Spain is now investigating:

Fresh reports emerged on Thursday claiming Spanish authorities are investigating Djokovic over his arrival into the country.

The tennis star said his agent incorrectly ticked “no” on a form asking if he had travelled in the 14 days before leaving for Australia, when in fact he had gone from Serbia to Spain in that time, where he practised ahead of the year’s first grand slam.

Spanish publication COPE reports agencies are looking into whether he entered the country illegally.

Tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg revealed Spains’s policy stipulates “unvaccinated tourists” are not allowed to enter the country and he’d need to prove his work was “essential” to get in.

Fellow tennis reporter Gaspar Ribeiro Lanca tweeted: “Breaking news: COPE reports that the Spanish Government is now investigating whether unvaccinated Novak Djokovic entered the country illegally in late December.

“Since September 20, citizens from Serbia need a vaccine certificate OR a special exemption to enter Spanish territory but so far the authorities say they did not receive any request from Djokovic.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/li ... 5173853183

I think that Australian judge was making a decision on whether the border force followed correct procedure when they gave notice of their intention to cancel his visa. It is not the judge's fault if the border force did not follow correct procedure.

cpd

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:55 am

A101 wrote:
889091 wrote:

He wasn't ruling on the other stuff, just the procedures that the Australian Border Force followed. That was what was being heard, not the whereabouts of N.D. prior to his arrival.

If the latter had been the case then I'm sure he would have been sent home already. It looks like that will happen some time today. I had expected an announcement by 11:00am our time here, but nothing so far. It's nearly midday now.

Kent350787

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:03 am

cpd wrote:
A101 wrote:
889091 wrote:

He wasn't ruling on the other stuff, just the procedures that the Australian Border Force followed. That was what was being heard, not the whereabouts of N.D. prior to his arrival.

If the latter had been the case then I'm sure he would have been sent home already. It looks like that will happen some time today. I had expected an announcement by 11:00am our time here, but nothing so far. It's nearly midday now.

52 Minutes is what the judge ruled on, no more, no less. Had the border force idiots just sat down until the 8.30pm they had indicated their decision would have likely stood.

A101

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:59 am

Howard Stern thinks he should be banned from tennis

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.fox ... a106a1a656

He certainly bring the game into disrepute, don’t the generally get fined for that?

art

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:19 am

NOVAK DJOKOVIC'S visa is apparently set to be cancelled again tomorrow with Australia's immigration minister Alex Hawke set to give the Serb the boot. Australia's The Saturday Paper journalist Paul Bongiorno claims a decision is already made and the world No 1 will be deported.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/ ... Alex-Hawke

I have no idea if the reporter from The Saturday Paper has a reliable source.

In Novak's tennis shoes I would be considering jumping before I was pushed. If he is deported I understand that he will not be able to come back for the 2023 and 2024 championships.

cpd

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 pm

art wrote:
NOVAK DJOKOVIC'S visa is apparently set to be cancelled again tomorrow with Australia's immigration minister Alex Hawke set to give the Serb the boot. Australia's The Saturday Paper journalist Paul Bongiorno claims a decision is already made and the world No 1 will be deported.

In Novak's tennis shoes I would be considering jumping before I was pushed. If he is deported I understand that he will not be able to come back for the 2023 and 2024 championships.

On the previous page of this topic I mentioned Paul Bongiorno specifically as “veteran political journalist”.

He usually is very reliable, been doing this reporting for as long as I can remember. One of the old guard, of whom there are not many left, sadly.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 pm

art wrote:

He's an incredibly full of himself entitled person, he's not going to jump he will fight this to the end.

I just wonder if him being deported from Australia will also effect his ability to enter other countries in the near future.

zeke

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I just wonder if him being deported from Australia will also effect his ability to enter other countries in the near future.

It’s that gift the keeps giving, “have you ever been denied or refused entry” on every application going forward.

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm

zeke wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It’s that gift the keeps giving, “have you ever been denied or refused entry” on every application going forward.

"My agent forgot to fill that out correctly. I'm sorry. Whoopsie."

vrbarreto

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:21 pm

Oh Dear,

Looks like Novax might be in trouble in Spain as well

https://thewest.com.au/sport/tennis/nov ... -c-5289512

zeke

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:41 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
Oh Dear,

Looks like Novax might be in trouble in Spain as well

https://thewest.com.au/sport/tennis/nov ... -c-5289512

Not exactly compelling case for his lawyers to work with going forward.

There is also the small issue that there now is conflict in sworn affidavits submitted to the courts.

The system in Australia is based upon fairness, the reason the judge overturned the original decision. ABF failed to provide him until 8:30 as they originally said they would so the court ruled that was unfair.

However the courts will see it as being unfair to the governments case and possibly a crime if sworn affidavits submitted to the courts are not truthful.

art

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:51 pm

I have a non-Novak question. What happens during the championships if a player is identified as being infected with COVID-19 - is the player disqualified? I mean they can't turn up for the match if infected, can they? And if you don't turn up, you lose by default (I presume).

What happens if several players test positive during the championships? Imagine over the course of two weeks that dozens of players test positive - not inconceivable with omicron on the loose. Do they abandon the championship?

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:11 pm

art wrote:
I have a non-Novak question. What happens during the championships if a player is identified as being infected with COVID-19 - is the player disqualified? I mean they can't turn up for the match if infected, can they? And if you don't turn up, you lose by default (I presume).

What happens if several players test positive during the championships? Imagine over the course of two weeks that dozens of players test positive - not inconceivable with omicron on the loose. Do they abandon the championship?

An individual player who tests positive would be removed from the draw. That has happened a couple times over the past two years, most notably to my mind to Benoit Paire (not really a threat to win big titles anyway). I'm not sure what would happen if multiple players tested positive and how that could impact that draw.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:39 pm

Seeing that the draw has been finalised, and Novak is the top seed, if/when he does get deported, does he get any prizemoney for getting into Round 1? If he does, the most sensible thing to do would be to donate it to charity.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:14 pm

Spain is not investigating Novak after all.

https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-i ... -vaccines/

scbriml

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:30 pm

zeke wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Even if he is subsequently deported, he was granted access and presumably would be able to truthfully answer. “No”?

Of course, the downside to being a “global name” is that everyone will know if he is deported.

zeke

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:42 pm

art wrote:

I don’t see that any different to any other injury, illness, voluntary withdrawal.

A101

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:06 pm

Another Australian sportsman locked out of playing in Victoria for being unvaccinated

They must be shaking their heads at the hypocrisy of the whole situation

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nelson-aso ... bf751f58ba

https://www.9news.com.au/national/austr ... ce1d5c86e2
About time to stop this debacle': Lambie calls for Djokovic decision
By Adam Vidler07:44
Tasmanian Senator Jacqui Lambie has called for an urgent decision to be made on Novak Djokovic, agreeing with the tennis star's rival Stefanos Tsitsipas that the men's number one was making vaccinated players look like "fools".
"Why does this keep dripping out of the tap? Why hasn't the minister done anything about this?" Senator Lambie said on Today.
"If he's going to do him on character, because they believe that his submission has been lied on, then, you know, this is what we do when our kids play up at school. They get sent home.
"So maybe it's about time to stop this debacle, finish it once and for all without the tap keep dripping and make up your mind."
She asked why Immigration Minister Alex Hawke was "missing in action".
"If you can't make a decision on Novak Djokovic, goodness me, how are you guys running the country? This is an absolute shambles," she said.
"Let alone what it's making us look like to the rest of the world. It's absolutely a shocker."

A101

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:07 am

[photoid][/photoid]Not sure if anyone has seen this, here is the transcript from border force

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... rder-force

No news yet, I have my doubts it’s going to happen been too long

zeke

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:13 am

A101 wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]Not sure if anyone has seen this, here is the transcript from border force

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... rder-force

No news yet, I have my doubts it’s going to happen been too long

Couldn’t get that link to work, the transcript is in the public domain published on the court website, link below

https://www.fedcourt.gov.au/__data/asse ... he-ABF.pdf

This is his affidavit filed in the court

https://www.fedcourt.gov.au/__data/asse ... y-2022.pdf

A101

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:54 am

An interesting analysis in the novax case

Why Australia is paralyzed over deporting Novak Djokovic

https://www.politico.eu/article/austral ... ic-tennis/

A101

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:02 am

BREAKING: Djokovic visa cancelled
By Chris De Silva17:54
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has made the massive call to cancel Novak Djokovic's visa for a second time in the space of weeks.
BREAKING: Alex Hawke has cancelled Novak Djokovic’s visa. @9NewsAUS @2GB873
— Chris O'Keefe (@cokeefe9) January 14, 2022

More to follow

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/te ... 293b0a?amp

zeke

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 am

A101 wrote:
BREAKING: Djokovic visa cancelled
By Chris De Silva17:54
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has made the massive call to cancel Novak Djokovic's visa for a second time in the space of weeks.
BREAKING: Alex Hawke has cancelled Novak Djokovic’s visa. @9NewsAUS @2GB873
— Chris O'Keefe (@cokeefe9) January 14, 2022

More to follow

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/te ... 293b0a?amp

Fairly predictable, cancel it when the courts are closed and flights are open.

ABC news reporting the event also https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-14/ ... c_news_web

Virtual737

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am

"On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf as I told immigration officials on my arrival - and my agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia," widely reported days ago.

Does he not have a comms person on his team? "My agent sincerely apologises (while I don't give a flying f***)"

melpax

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:19 am

Virtual737 wrote:
"On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf as I told immigration officials on my arrival - and my agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia," widely reported days ago.

Does he not have a comms person on his team? "My agent sincerely apologises (while I don't give a flying f***)"

Even if he had someone prepare the paperwork for him, he's still the one signing it & therefore responsible for it's contents......

Aesma

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 am

Yeah at this stage he should go the contrite way while still blaming others : "I take full responsibility for the mistake made by...".

melpax

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:35 am

Court hearing to start at 8.45pm MEL time - around 10 minutes from now....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 59o7i.html

Edit - hearing now underway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-BcBnNeLA

A101

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:57 am

melpax wrote:

That was quick

scbriml

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 am

A101 wrote:
melpax wrote:

That was quick

This is just a hearing to clarify what the next steps should be.

Dutchy

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am

Aesma wrote:
Yeah at this stage he should go the contrite way while still blaming others : "I take full responsibility for the mistake made by...".

From a distance, I would say the blame is with just about everyone. But. foremost, one is responsible for one's own travel documents. And he also should have known: no vaccination, no entry. He and his entourage tried to fiddle the system for him to play, so probably a lot of wishful thinking with all the parties involved, but in the end, he has gotten: the computer says no.

So he gambled and he's lost. If you take the decision not to be vaccinated, deal with the consequences.

zeke

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am

So by the sounds of things he will be placed in detention tomorrow morning at 8am. No more preparation for the AO.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:05 am

zeke wrote:
So by the sounds of things he will be placed in detention tomorrow morning at 8am. No more preparation for the AO.

Perfect - precisely what should be happening.

Derico

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am

Dutchy wrote:
Aesma wrote:

From a distance, I would say the blame is with just about everyone. But. foremost, one is responsible for one's own travel documents. And he also should have known: no vaccination, no entry. He and his entourage tried to fiddle the system for him to play, so probably a lot of wishful thinking with all the parties involved, but in the end, he has gotten: the computer says no.

So he gambled and he's lost. If you take the decision not to be vaccinated, deal with the consequences.

My problem is not so much with the personal decision to not get vaccinated (or for example, directives that people do not gather). The unacceptable thing is when those same people think they are above the laws and do travel or hold big events (politicians all over the world),or think you can openly ignore or walk over the rules of other countries.

And this guy attended all kinds of events even after being positive. I don't blame people for having pandemic fatigue and I think most people at some point have tried to get around the rules, it's hard not to do, but when you do it repeatedly and then think other countries should take your attitude too, it goes too far in the arrogance category. No vaccination and yet you want more privileges than the vaccinated? (international travel is a privilege not a right, as much as I have been insisting it should be reopened, since border controls with no plan or strategy to go "all-in" are a colossal failure when dealing with epidemics).

Australia has been put into shame though with this. While all countries have this problem, it does highlight how two-faced the authorities are. They indeed apply one standard to the plebs and one to the Patris, and they were caught red-handed.

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Seems the Australian government is trying to win the fifth quarter. Understandably, they don't appreciate the position that they find themselves in (though some of it is their own doing, and some of it due to poor communication by Tennis Australia), and are going to make it as difficult as possible for Djokovic to get out of the gate. The AO can't hold his first round forever, and the government may try to run out that clock.

Kiwirob

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:39 pm

Now for the fallout, I wonder when some of his sponsors jump ship.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm

luckyone wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Seems the Australian government is trying to win the fifth quarter. Understandably, they don't appreciate the position that they find themselves in (though some of it is their own doing, and some of it due to poor communication by Tennis Australia), and are going to make it as difficult as possible for Djokovic to get out of the gate. The AO can't hold his first round forever, and the government may try to run out that clock.

Oh they're definitely going to have to clean this up on their end. But they also would have hell to pay from the Australian public if Djokovic were allowed to stay while Australian athletes traveling interstate are penalized. There had to be a penalty for his level of entitlement anyhow.

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Who knows. But somebody, somewhere on that team needs to take the long view and tell him that the best thing for him and for tennis is to cut his losses and voluntarily leave. IMHO he's blinded by the moment, specifically the numbers 10 and 21. He probably suspects that he'll have a hard time getting another visa to enter Australia, and wants that tenth Australian Open that will also make him the sole leader with twenty-one Grand Slams. Should he win, what's Tennis Australia going to do? Keep crowds out of his matches? How many people would refuse to watch his matches, thus impacting ratings?

cpd

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm

luckyone wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Who knows. But somebody, somewhere on that team needs to take the long view and tell him that the best thing for him and for tennis is to cut his losses and voluntarily leave. IMHO he's blinded by the moment, specifically the numbers 10 and 21. He probably suspects that he'll have a hard time getting another visa to enter Australia, and wants that tenth Australian Open that will also make him the sole leader with twenty-one Grand Slams. Should he win, what's Tennis Australia going to do? Keep crowds out of his matches? How many people would refuse to watch his matches, thus impacting ratings?

If I’m not mistaken unvaccinated crowds are not allowed to go to the tennis matches, so there is no way the government was going to allow him to stay. It would have been political suicide for them, the general public sentiment is overwhelmingly against Djokovic.

To let him stay would have been the icing on a cake of political blunders.

The 6pm timing of the announcement was probably to try and bury the story and to give Djokovic clan little time to prepare or respond, though that didn’t work. Surely N.D. Must realise that he is up against the Australian Government and if they want him gone, he will be gone one way or the other.

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm

cpd wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

If I’m not mistaken unvaccinated crowds are not allowed to go to the tennis matches, so there is no way the government was going to allow him to stay. It would have been political suicide for them, the general public sentiment is overwhelmingly against Djokovic.

To let him stay would have been the icing on a cake of political blunders.

The 6pm timing of the announcement was probably to try and bury the story and to give Djokovic clan little time to prepare or respond, though that didn’t work. Surely N.D. Must realise that he is up against the Australian Government and if they want him gone, he will be gone one way or the other.

Correct, unvaccinated are not permitted on the grounds (unless you're the number 1 player in the world). What I was referring to is Djokovic has been practicing behind closed doors. Tennis Australia has gone so far as to lock the doors on Rod Laver Arena and cut the live camera feed when he's been practicing. There's a very real concern that Djokovic could experience a problem related to security, so I was asking, what are they going to do with actual matches? Continue to lock the doors and hope that the crowd doesn't get aggro?

zeke

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:45 pm

luckyone wrote:

Watching the court proceedings last night there was a sense of urgency from the NJ side, and a sense of methodical advancement on the side of the government. They could not even decide last night which court would hear the matter, and if there is jurisdiction for the case.

The government have said they will allow NJ to stay where he wanted last night, turn up at immigration today where he will be placed in detention (as required by law for those with cancelled visas), and then taken by ABF to NJs lawyers office to prepare the case until lunch time (his lawyers suggest all day and the government said lunch time). Then whilst still in detention moved to immigration detention until he case starts on Sunday. It is going to be a very disruptive weekend for NJ, he will get no practice, and simple things like sleep and food will be disrupted.

I think the government will be happy for the matter to take time where it will be heard, this in turn will take time for both sides to prepare for that court.

The legal system moves slow, and the first tennis games are on Monday.

I could see the government playing the clock down, let NJ miss the first few games so he out of the running for the AO, then he will really have nothing to stay for any more, and the specific event his visa was for he would not longer be a participant of.

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:05 pm

zeke wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Watching the court proceedings last night there was a sense of urgency from the NJ side, and a sense of methodical advancement on the side of the government. They could not even decide last night which court would hear the matter, and if there is jurisdiction for the case.

The government have said they will allow NJ to stay where he wanted last night, turn up at immigration today where he will be placed in detention (as required by law for those with cancelled visas), and then taken by ABF to NJs lawyers office to prepare the case until lunch time (his lawyers suggest all day and the government said lunch time). Then whilst still in detention moved to immigration detention until he case starts on Sunday. It is going to be a very disruptive weekend for NJ, he will get no practice, and simple things like sleep and food will be disrupted.

I think the government will be happy for the matter to take time where it will be heard, this in turn will take time for both sides to prepare for that court.

The legal system moves slow, and the first tennis games are on Monday.

I could see the government playing the clock down, let NJ miss the first few games so he out of the running for the AO, then he will really have nothing to stay for any more, and the specific event his visa was for he would not longer be a participant of.

That's kind of how I read it too. They're not blameless but they've had a enough and have the law and the fact that Djokovic is not an Australian citizen on their side. This is not a tennis court. If Djokovic can't figure that out he's a fool.

Kiwirob

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:30 pm

A stint on manus island would probably do him the world of good and teach him some humility at the same time.

zeke

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:59 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
A stint on manus island would probably do him the world of good and teach him some humility at the same time.

Well if you cast your mind back to when Osaka missed some post game press conferences, he wasn’t exactly shy in telling people rule are rules for everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/novak- ... -1.6043764

The central question to me is when the visa was applied for it was known that it was required to be vaccinated, just like it is required to turn up to a post match press conference.

What steps did NJ take to comply with this rule, did he get vaccinated ? No

How could he have “planned” on catching C19 in December in order to get the so called medical exemption when he applied for his visa in November. How could he guarantee he would get a medical exemption? Especially when the leader of the state specifically stated no exemptions would be granted

“ "What I want to make very clear is that the state of Victoria will not be applying for any exemptions for unvaccinated players," Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters outside parliament on Wednesday.

"I am not going to ask and require people sitting in the grandstand, people working at the event to be vaccinated while players aren't. We're not going to be applying for an exemption."

From https://www.sbs.com.au/news/only-vaccin ... 33e3607d3e

To me this means he could have had no intention or expectation of competing in the AO on or around December 16 and then subsequently fully recovered. Because rules are rules……

I think manus would be a wast of more money, let him get on a flight back where he can legally enter with his current status.

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

zeke wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Well if you cast your mind back to when Osaka missed some post game press conferences, he wasn’t exactly shy in telling people rule are rules for everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/novak- ... -1.6043764

The central question to me is when the visa was applied for it was known that it was required to be vaccinated, just like it is required to turn up to a post match press conference.

To me this means he could have had no intention or expectation of competing in the AO on or around December 16 and then subsequently fully recovered. Because rules are rules……

If I read correctly, he applied for the visa in November.

zeke

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:13 pm

luckyone wrote:
If I read correctly, he applied for the visa in November.

Correct that is why I wrote “ How could he have “planned” on catching C19 in December in order to get the so called medical exemption when he applied for his visa in November.”

Surly if he knew in November it was a requirement to enter Australia, and your intent was to travel to Australia (evidenced by application of the visa) what did he do prior to December 16 in order to comply with the entry rules.

If his answer is “nothing” there should have been no expectation on his part of attending.

A101

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:07 pm

A lot of inconsistencies when it came to exemptions advice. How did the body come to the conclusion he could be exempt when it was back as far as 28/9/21 that the ATAGI was

As of 9 September, the Australia Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation’s (ATAGI) guidelines state that while past COVID-19 infection is not a contraindication to vaccination, it ‘can be deferred for up to six months after the acute illness

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... -exemption

I imagine what that referred to is if you have started your vaccinations and before you have received your 2nd the rule would apply.

That’s my take

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 pm

A101 wrote:
A lot of inconsistencies when it came to exemptions advice. How did the body come to the conclusion he could be exempt when it was back as far as 28/9/21 that the ATAGI was

As of 9 September, the Australia Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation’s (ATAGI) guidelines state that while past COVID-19 infection is not a contraindication to vaccination, it ‘can be deferred for up to six months after the acute illness

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... -exemption

I imagine what that referred to is if you have started your vaccinations and before you have received your 2nd the rule would apply.

That’s my take

The follow up is that recommendation applied to citizens and domestic travel. Not international arrivals.