Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luckyone
Topic Author

Australian Open 2022

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm

The first tennis major of the year is upon us. A lot of history riding with Djokovic-Federer-Nadal each tied at 20. Osaka's return to major tennis after her troubles last year. The absence of Serena Williams. A LOT of promising young talent.

And of course COVID factors in. Australia required proof of vaccination or a limited set of conditions that would warrant an exemption. Apparently 26 players applied for an exemption, most were denied. Some players like France's Herbert didn't even bother to try, and a Russian player was not permitted entry due to her having received the Sputnik vaccine which was not approved.

It looks like Novak Djokovic is continuing to make headlines at the start. After spending most of last year refusing to discuss his vaccination status because "it's a private decision," he announces that he had "received a vaccine exemption, wishing love to all the creatures on this planet" (paraphrased but yes he did actually say that). So aside from contradicting his entire rhetoric for a year of NOT divulging his status, it unsurprisingly has gone over like a lead balloon in Australia. Newspaper editorials were predicting "ugly" responses by fans to Djokovic (who is a complicated figure to say the least, and never can seem to get out of his own way). The Australian PM had weighed in stating that if his proof didn't hold muster he would be denied entry. Supposedly, the review process was double blinded, and exemptions were granted for infections in the past 6months, allergic reactions to vaccinations, or serious cardiac issues or the like (which is extremely unlikely in Djokovic's case). As I write this, he's being held at the airport because he apparently requested an entry visa that doesn't permit medical exemptions of any kind (really!). The State of Victoria has declined to support any visa requests stating that's the federal government's job.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59884038.

What a mess.

art

Re: Australian Open 2022

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 pm

No Serena? Has she retired or is she giving this one a miss?

luckyone
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 pm

art wrote:

She has not officially retired but yes she is sitting out this tournament. She injured her hamstring at Wimbledon in July and hasn’t played since. Few people in tennis would be surprised if she has one more spirited run, but even fewer will be surprised if she doesn’t. Her days of being a regular contender are behind her.

art

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:20 pm

Djokovic has had his visa revoked (BBC quoting Reuters).

luckyone
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:39 pm

art wrote:
Djokovic has had his visa revoked (BBC quoting Reuters).

Yup. Personally it’s hard to feel sorry for Djokovic. He has scored so many own goals that it’s comical and clear he lives in his own magical world. My personal favorite bit of this was his father threatening to “fight them in the streets.”

melpax

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:52 pm

It appears that he applied for an incorrect Visa type, and there were also issues with his vaccination exemption paperwork. Looks like this will be played out in the courts, and Djokovic has been moved to hotel quarantine pending his deportation, most likely later today. For those outside of Australia, those of us in Melbourne must be double vaxxed to enter pubs, bars & cinemas, to dine at restaurants, and to remain employed, hence the lack of support for him here. Those who are unvaxxed without an exemption are excluded from employment & virtually all entertainment venues.

Live feed from 'The Age' here in Melbourne, will be interesting to see how it's played out during the day.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/aust ... 59m84.html

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:19 am

melpax wrote:
It appears that he applied for an incorrect Visa type, and there were also issues with his vaccination exemption paperwork. Looks like this will be played out in the courts, and Djokovic has been moved to hotel quarantine pending his deportation, most likely later today. For those outside of Australia, those of us in Melbourne must be double vaxxed to enter pubs, bars & cinemas, to dine at restaurants, and to remain employed, hence the lack of support for him here. Those who are unvaxxed without an exemption are excluded from employment & virtually all entertainment venues.

Live feed from 'The Age' here in Melbourne, will be interesting to see how it's played out during the day.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/aust ... 59m84.html

Unless he had a second COVID infection in the last six months, his exemption is dubious. Another example of his sloppiness and not having done himself many favors. Until he started talking about positivity detoxifying water and getting called out for his nonsense he never hesitated to speak openly about whatever topic was on his mind. The problem for him is once we learned what a borderline loon he is, it became difficult to trust what he says. He clearly recognizes that to an extent but ultimately always finds a way to say the wrong thing.

johns624

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:26 am

It's also hard for a world class athlete to claim a medical exemption. I remember years ago when I still followed road cycling. It seemed that half the contenders used an inhaler because their doctor said that they had asthma. That was before the crackdown.

melpax

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:44 am

Looks like he's been moved to a hotel that's used by Border Force to hold Immigration detainees, pending his deportation. Appears to be the infamous Park Hotel on Swanston Street.

Certainly not the Park Hyatt or Crown Towers. And there would be no warm welcome either.....

https://twitter.com/brendancrew/status/ ... 4583925764

Aaron747

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:48 am

Typical Novak. Expect a hissy fit of some sort in the media over the next few days.

zkojq

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:52 am

The entitlement of this guy....just wow. If you're entering a country that requires vaccination for entry and aren't vaccinated then you really need to dot every i and cross every t on your exemption Visa.

Looking forward to seeing how he spins this. No doubt playing victim.

art

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:24 am

Something I recall mentioned on BBC TV news was that applications for exemption to be approved were heard/reviewed blind. In my understanding the panel did not know whose application they were evaluating. Djokovic's application was approved. I also seem to recall that the panel were acting for the state concerned. Perhaps the problem is that the national authorities needed to grant exemption from the requirement for full vaccination in order for Djokovic to be allowed to enter the country.

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:36 am

art wrote:
Something I recall mentioned on BBC TV news was that applications for exemption to be approved were heard/reviewed blind. In my understanding the panel did not know whose application they were evaluating. Djokovic's application was approved. I also seem to recall that the panel were acting for the state concerned. Perhaps the problem is that the national authorities needed to grant exemption from the requirement for full vaccination in order for Djokovic to be allowed to enter the country.

The panel involved is also trying to back out of their possible culpability by saying all they did was look at the information. They did not investigate it. I’m other words, they’re saying a witch doctor in Novi Sad could’ve written this and we could’ve signed off on it because it said “Doctor.”

Djokovic is paying for his past and present sins (and I’m right there at the front of the line watching this self-enchanted airhead receive his cosmic karma), but he also should never have been permitted to board his flight in the first place. There is clearly a failure of communication and organization on the Australian end.

A101

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 am

art wrote:

Yes entry in Australia is a federal matter, on whether he plays is a state matter as constitutionally health is a state matter once in Australia

Bit like Johnny Depp & Amber Heard who brought a dog in unauthorised , it was either have the dogs put down or sent packing

https://www.visasolutions.com.au/news-b ... en-refused

A101

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:49 am

Seems his medical exception is in doubt,border force doing there due diligence

https://www.9news.com.au/national/novak ... 9319de9863

Appears he is going to appeal the decision

https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/find-le ... a-decision

ltbewr

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:10 am

With injuries, continuing risks from Covid-19, individuals choosing to not get vaccinated sadly the Pandemic will hurt the quality of this major tennis tournament.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:02 am

art wrote:

That's basically correct. Both the Victoria State Government and Tennis Australia had 'blind' medical panels which cleared him to be exempt from Victoria's double-vaxxed laws (mentioned by Melpax up-thread), and cleared him to play at the Australian Open specifically.

He was not, however, granted an exemption to enter the country by the federal government. People on social media are calling this a backflip, politicians overruling doctors etc, all of which is rubbish. He needed a third exemption which he did not have, and did not have sufficient evidence to support his claimed exemption when asked about it by Australian Border Force officials.

It's really his own fault. You would think his management would have thought to look into what visa he needed.

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:22 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
art wrote:

That's basically correct. Both the Victoria State Government and Tennis Australia had 'blind' medical panels which cleared him to be exempt from Victoria's double-vaxxed laws (mentioned by Melpax up-thread), and cleared him to play at the Australian Open specifically.

He was not, however, granted an exemption to enter the country by the federal government. People on social media are calling this a backflip, politicians overruling doctors etc, all of which is rubbish. He needed a third exemption which he did not have, and did not have sufficient evidence to support his claimed exemption when asked about it by Australian Border Force officials.

It's really his own fault. You would think his management would have thought to look into what visa he needed.

The Djokovic team is notoriously insular and ultimately tone deaf and sloppy and averse to anything that doesn’t reinforce what they already believe. If Djokovic’s on court treatment of his team is any indication of how he treats them in private, competent people won’t waste their time for very long — Agassi for one, did not. If you’ve seen him in person; it’s awful. TV commentary often frowns it out but he spends a lot of match time barking at his box.

Newark727

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:41 am

luckyone wrote:
art wrote:

She has not officially retired but yes she is sitting out this tournament. She injured her hamstring at Wimbledon in July and hasn’t played since. Few people in tennis would be surprised if she has one more spirited run, but even fewer will be surprised if she doesn’t. Her days of being a regular contender are behind her.

Womens' tennis is going to be weird without her - she's been contending for nearly my whole adult life.

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:56 am

Newark727 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
art wrote:

Womens' tennis is going to be weird without her - she's been contending for nearly my whole adult life.

Perhaps, though she hasn’t really been a factor since her pregnancy so we’ve already seen the champions of women’s tennis without her. She’s won one small title since her return. She had a few friendly draws at Wimbledon and the US Open but was gassed each time in the final where the quality of opponent rose dramatically. She was either outhit by a younger player (Osaka, Andreescu) or out-hustled and out-steadied by a veteran (Kerber, Halep).

melpax

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:43 am

Enter the lawyers.

As expected, he's stumped up for Senior Counsel, no doubt enticed from their Sorrento/Portsea holiday home.

Hearing to commence in the Federal Court shortly.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 59mdp.html

Edit: Newly appointed Silk, but looks like this one's experienced in immigration matters. No point getting in a high profile criminal defence QC/SC if they don't have much immigration experience. At least it looks like he has got some good advice.

https://www.vicbar.com.au/profile/8040

rubberdogdo

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:57 am

He should expect to play by the rules off the court as he does on the court. Ignoring the rules and asking for special privileges will do nothing for public sympathy or support.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:29 am

Newark727 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
art wrote:

Women's tennis will be much better off without her. She's an easy beat these days for most top 10 women there's no point having her around anymore.

NIKV69

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:58 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Women's tennis will be much better off without her. She's an easy beat these days for most top 10 women there's no point having her around anymore.

Yes this is true. I loved watching the battles toward the end.

seb146

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:01 am

So no Serena and there has not been a good male tennis player since Andre.... :duck: :box:

RyanairGuru

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:03 am

melpax wrote:
Enter the lawyers.

As expected, he's stumped up for Senior Counsel, no doubt enticed from their Sorrento/Portsea holiday home.

Hearing to commence in the Federal Court shortly.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ ... 59mdp.html

Edit: Newly appointed Silk, but looks like this one's experienced in immigration matters. No point getting in a high profile criminal defence QC/SC if they don't have much immigration experience. At least it looks like he has got some good advice.

https://www.vicbar.com.au/profile/8040

While newly appointed as an SC, you are correct that he has a lot of immigration experience as a junior barrister. Probably one of their best picks, certainly at a few hours notice during a period when many silks are still on holiday.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:02 am

Djokovic has been granted an injunction preventing him from being deported before 16:00 on Monday. His lawyers go back to court on Monday morning to challenge his visa cancellation, with any further injunctions beyond Monday afternoon dependent on what happens then.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nov ... 59mdp.html

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:21 am

seb146 wrote:
So no Serena and there has not been a good male tennis player since Andre.... :duck: :box:

You don't watch a lot of tennis do you. Andre was good but Pete was a lot better.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:22 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Djokovic has been granted an injunction preventing him from being deported before 16:00 on Monday. His lawyers go back to court on Monday morning to challenge his visa cancellation, with any further injunctions beyond Monday afternoon dependent on what happens then.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nov ... 59mdp.html

If he does manage to get into the tournament the crowd are going to be immensely hostile towards him, with his fragile ego it's going to be tough.

Redd

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:27 am

zkojq wrote:
The entitlement of this guy....just wow. .

Yeah I know Eh!?!??! Making his own medical choices, who the hell does he think he is!

I especially like the fact that they let it be known he'd be let in, then made an example of him! Nothing more funny than dishonesty and lies, that's what I say!

art

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:51 am

Is it simply a case that Djokovic does not want to be vaccinated but wants the freedoms accorded to people who are? Or does he arguably have genuine grounds of a medical nature for being exempt from vaccination?

melpax

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:53 am

Kiwirob wrote:
If he does manage to get into the tournament the crowd are going to be immensely hostile towards him, with his fragile ego it's going to be tough.

Even if he was let in last night, he still would have received a hostile reception from the crowd. Even Rod Laver tweeted that he should explain himself, lest there be boos & jeers or worse on the court named after Laver....

Dutchy

Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:22 am

Redd wrote:
zkojq wrote:
The entitlement of this guy....just wow. .

Yeah I know Eh!?!??! Making his own medical choices, who the hell does he think he is!

I especially like the fact that they let it be known he'd be let in, then made an example of him! Nothing more funny than dishonesty and lies, that's what I say!

Djokovic's father has called his son "the Spartacus of a new world, which tolerates no injustice, colonialism and hypocrisy" in Serbian media. "My son is in Australian captivity tonight, but he has never been so free," he added. "From this moment on, Novak has become the symbol and the leader of the free world, the world of the poor and disadvantaged nations and peoples."

Link

I think his father, at least, thinks he is a very special case, to put it mildly.

scbriml

Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:25 am

Redd wrote:
Making his own medical choices, who the hell does he think he is!

He is, of course, entitled to make his own decisions. But he needs to understand those decisions may have consequences that he doesn't like.

Aesma

Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am

I've read he has celiac disease. Of course plenty of people these days claim this without needing to prove it as it's not easy to prove one way or the other, well aside from making you eat gluten and see if really it hurts you.

There is no indication against taking any of the COVID vaccines when you have that disease anyway.

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:11 pm

Aesma wrote:
I've read he has celiac disease. Of course plenty of people these days claim this without needing to prove it as it's not easy to prove one way or the other, well aside from making you eat gluten and see if really it hurts you.

There is no indication against taking any of the COVID vaccines when you have that disease anyway.

His diagnosis of celiac also has some curious rhetoric:
https://www.espn.com/tennis/french15/st ... k-djokovic

johns624

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm

I had to submit a large quantity of documentation to Australia due to a ticket for DUI 29 years before my cruise out of Sydney so I have no sympathy for him.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:54 am

Unvaccinated Czech player Renata Voracova, who was previously let into the country, has now been detained by Australian Border Force. ABF are apparently perusing an official as well.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/czech-tenn ... 59mq2.html

melpax

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:19 pm

This was outside the hotel last night. Troublemakers were those protesting for the refugees in the hotel, the Serbian community members also protesting out the front were not causing trouble.
Looks like the Anti-vax/Soverign Citizen crowd has started to take over things, will be interesting to see if there's a larger protest in the city tomorrow (Saturday)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3IJocgjMg

scbriml

Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 am

According to the BBC, papers filed by Djokovic's lawyers claim his vaccine exemption was based on a positive Covid test on 16th December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59920379
Tennis star Novak Djokovic had a vaccine exemption to enter Australia after a Covid infection on 16 December, his lawyers say in court documents.
The documents state that an exemption certificate recorded that 14 days after testing positive in December, the player "had not had a fever or respiratory symptoms of Covid-19 in the last 72 hours".

There had been no prior announcement of his infection.

art

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:03 am

Rules are rules. If he is entitled to enter the country x days after infection, let him in.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:40 pm

art wrote:
Rules are rules. If he is entitled to enter the country x days after infection, let him in.

But not when the documentation is dodgy. Tennis will be better off without him.

What’s will be be fun seeing happen is if he’s deported he won’t be allowed to enter Australia for 3 years.

Grizzly410

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:22 pm

scbriml wrote:
According to the BBC, papers filed by Djokovic's lawyers claim his vaccine exemption was based on a positive Covid test on 16th December.

Tennis star Novak Djokovic had a vaccine exemption to enter Australia after a Covid infection on 16 December, his lawyers say in court documents.
The documents state that an exemption certificate recorded that 14 days after testing positive in December, the player "had not had a fever or respiratory symptoms of Covid-19 in the last 72 hours".

And next day attended un event, took pictures with kids.
Not sure the covid infection exemption info puts him under better light.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/statu ... 07586?s=20

melpax

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:25 am

Summary of court documents & legal arguments.....

https://www.fcfcoa.gov.au/migration-law ... e/djokovic

zkojq

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:26 am

Grizzly410 wrote:

My goodness, the arrogance of this man knows no bounds.

luckyone
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:27 am

Grizzly410 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Two things:
1. The published deadline from Tennis Australia deadline was Dec 10. His test was December 16 — did he get special privileges?
2. There is still a lot of ambiguity about WHO exactly made those criteria? ATAGI has provided documentation that they told Tennis Australia (the issuing body of the waiver) that a recent COVID diagnosis wasn’t good enough. Further, from the information we’ve been provided, the exemption and record of a positive test came on Tennis Australia letterhead. Was Djokovic asked for and provided independent proof of that? (and if he didn’t bring that information with him in 2022 he truly is a fool)

At the end of the day nobody comes out of this looking good. And a small part of me is glad it isn’t America in this one.

A101

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:02 am

melpax wrote:
Summary of court documents & legal arguments.....

https://www.fcfcoa.gov.au/migration-law ... e/djokovic

Mmm interesting; according to the documents he say he has a

(i) has a medical contraindication to COVID-19 vaccines; and

(ii) can produce evidence provided by a medical practitioner of the matter mentioned in subparagraph (i);

“contraindication“
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... recautions

If this is the case why the need to issue a medical certificate so late and when did he submit the documents to tennis Australia?

But I also understand he arrived on the wrong visa from reports in the media, there is no onus on immigration to issue another type of visa either

Derico

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Rich and connected people have, are, and will get better treatment and conditions (beyond the bounds of law) for as long as civilization exists. It should surprise no one and to be honest one should just shrug it off.

On the other hand, that is why I feel absolutely NO pity on the occasions where the rich and famous get punishment or treatment that is excessive to the crimes or misdeeds they committed. History is also full of times such elite individuals, due to the anger of the masses, will receive worse or harsher terms because the authorities and powers that be will use a high-profile individual to "make an example". I never understood people who felt so sorry for the elites when once in a while their status becomes a disadvantage (just as I never will understand why regular or poor people will spend their money to buy gifts to their idols, which will go unused. Why not buy a toy to an orphan...)

If Djokovic eventually has to be made an example of, I won't feel sorry for him. At least this year Australians can enjoy their freedoms again to some degree. I was disgusted with Australia last year because while they locked their populations for weeks and robbed thousands of their citizens their fundamental right to return HOME after years away, they still were holding things like Tennis tournies and even tried to hold the Formula One. That will forever be a disgraceful and appalling black eye on the country.

Aesma

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:48 pm

Not letting in your own citizens is pretty low indeed, probably even illegal under international law. Might make you rethink the value of your citizenship...

As for Djoko, if his positive test is from Serbia, would you trust it ?

Kent350787

Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:20 am

There are technical difficulties causing problems with the appeal hearing.

Australia's immigration detention system is needlessly hardline, but support in Australia for Djokovic is very low, the Serbian community possibly excepted.

@Derico - the overwhelming majority of Australians did not support Victoria's moves to hold international sporting events such as the tennis while restricting other travel, especially by citizens.