Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

Mayor Lightfoot of Chicago (D?) insists schools reopen in person with no testing

Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:25 am

Says virtual instruction is a breach of contract and it's the "parents' choice if kids should be tested. Rejected schools offer of reopening with testing.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chicag ... l-walk-out

Unbelievable twist of events.

LCDFlight

Re: Mayor Lightfoot of Chicago (D?) insists schools reopen in person with no testing

Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:32 am

Is it unbelievable to not require testing? Unclear if that is what you meant.

NIKV69

Re: Mayor Lightfoot of Chicago (D?) insists schools reopen in person with no testing

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:06 am

I think Lightfoot is as bad a mayor as Diblasio was but I have to agree with her on this one.

stl07
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:48 am

LCDFlight wrote:

Everything. Her not supporting testing, her not wanting virtual learning. It's just way different that what I expected from her. I'm not saying what she's doing is good or bad as I have zero experience on the topic of school reopening, but I think it is very interesting for a D mayor to not want testing (calling it a family choice) and push opening schools ASAP

casinterest

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:52 am

stl07 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Everything. Her not supporting testing, her not wanting virtual learning. It's just way different that what I expected from her. I'm not saying what she's doing is good or bad as I have zero experience on the topic of school reopening, but I think it is very interesting for a D mayor to not want testing (calling it a family choice) and push opening schools ASAP

It's the new playbook. I posted an article in the Covid-19 thread earlier. They Democrats are going with science and vaccines, and are trying to pull out of shutdowns. Some areas will still have Democrats pushing masking and social distancing, but the vaccines do work. The only misgivings I have about this is that I think we are going to see some disasters in hospitals that server areas with high Anti-Vaccination rates.

stl07
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 am

casinterest wrote:
stl07 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

It's the new playbook. I posted an article in the Covid-19 thread earlier. They Democrats are going with science and vaccines, and are trying to pull out of shutdowns. Some areas will still have Democrats pushing masking and social distancing, but the vaccines do work. The only misgivings I have about this is that I think we are going to see some disasters in hospitals that server areas with high Anti-Vaccination rates.

I was honestly more intrigued by her saying "personal/family choice" for testing. I have not heard that from anyone but the fringe on the right.

casinterest

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 am

stl07 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I was honestly more intrigued by her saying "personal/family choice" for testing. I have not heard that from anyone but the fringe on the right.

That one floors me a bit. However at this point, we are at a tipping point of vaccinations. 5+ can get vaccinations, and it is now a parent's choice truly about whether they protect their own. Not whether their unprotected kids are subjected to other unprotected kids.
Prek is still an issue, but they don't have quite the issues as 5+ do.

flyguy89

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:00 am

I highly doubt their union contract allows teachers to decide unilaterally to go remote. In that respect alone I support the mayor’s position. It was also I think a crap move on the union’s part to make the decision at the last moment, leaving many parents and kids in the lurch. The cynic in me thinks the teachers union knew their position wasn’t tenable all along but also knew they could wring at least a week out of no in-person instruction so did it anyway.

bpatus297

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:24 pm

stl07 wrote:
Says virtual instruction is a breach of contract and it's the "parents' choice if kids should be tested. Rejected schools offer of reopening with testing.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chicag ... l-walk-out

Unbelievable twist of events.

A vast majority of schools across the country have been open in person all year without testing. This was a power play between the union and the mayor.

LCDFlight

Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:40 pm

stl07 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

I still don’t know why you would need to be tested to go to school. Isn’t school a right for school age children? Isn’t there a lot of research proving how damaging it is for children not to attend school? I don’t understand why we would decide to permanently damage the children.

Covid never justified closing schools. The “Republican talking points” turned out to be correct in this case. Closing schools is very damaging to children. That damage lasts a lifetime. The fact the entire political spectrum over to Lori Lightfoot is in favor of opening schools is a sign over 95% of the country is together on this

pune

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:30 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
stl07 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

I still don’t know why you would need to be tested to go to school. Isn’t school a right for school age children? Isn’t there a lot of research proving how damaging it is for children not to attend school? I don’t understand why we would decide to permanently damage the children.

Covid never justified closing schools. The “Republican talking points” turned out to be correct in this case. Closing schools is very damaging to children. That damage lasts a lifetime. The fact the entire political spectrum over to Lori Lightfoot is in favor of opening schools is a sign over 95% of the country is together on this

The problem is covid has amplified the divisiveness quite a bit. What probably not many people are not taking into account is the new variant omnicron and the other variants of it. The number of infections as well as hospitalizations are again increased. Another part to think about is that compared to Europeans, Americans are more obese, both in young and old. And there is more than enough evidence in the public domain between obesity and Covid. People could look up the Covid thread, there people have talked about it. There is another part, when you have people inside rooms that are not properly ventilated, don't have air purifiers in the class-rooms it becomes an issue. And this is just not the U.S. it is more of a global phenomena. Even in India, the same back and forth happened and we do not have the capacity to take care of the young if they fall sick with omnicron. People forget from what little is known that omnicron is at least twice as infectious although we have less knowledge of the sub-variants that have come from omnicron. So, we need lot more data before we know more about the sub-variants as well as omnicron. But is it necessary to take the chance because I believe one way or the other. I guess we should be thankful that now at least people from both sides do acknowledge that covid is an issue even though they may have an issue about dangerous it is or not.