Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommy1808
Topic Author

Which books should be adapted for large or small screen?

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

inspired by the movie adaptation thread: Which books or book serious should be turned into a movie, TV show or mini-series?

Having just read and/or listened to them recently i start with:

1. "Honor Harrington" Series by David Weber. Very nicely done books, and there are 14 of them (well, 19 if you read it in German where the last five books are each split into two). And that is not even counting the Spin-Offs

2. "Expeditionary Force" by Craig Alanson. From a literary standpoint they are somewhat lacking, not enough character development for side characters and lots of deus ex machina on top of clever ideas, but a hell lot of fun to read (If you like "Omega Force" by Joshua Dalzelle, you´d like this too). There are also spin offs.

3. "Frontlines" by Marko Kloos. Seven books so far, they make for a good read even and i simply want to see that on a screen.

best regards
Thomas

pune

Re: Which books should be adapted for large or small screen?

Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:48 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

inspired by the movie adaptation thread: Which books or book serious should be turned into a movie, TV show or mini-series?

1. "Honor Harrington" Series by David Weber. Very nicely done books, and there are 14 of them (well, 19 if you read it in German where the last five books are each split into two). And that is not even counting the Spin-Offs

2. "Expeditionary Force" by Craig Alanson. From a literary standpoint they are somewhat lacking, not enough character development for side characters and lots of deus ex machina on top of clever ideas, but a hell lot of fun to read (If you like "Omega Force" by Joshua Dalzelle, you´d like this too). There are also spin offs.

3. "Frontlines" by Marko Kloos. Seven books so far, they make for a good read even and i simply want to see that on a screen.

best regards
Thomas

Can you share a bit more about the series, which genre is it action, fantasy, sci-fi or something else. It is usually better if you give a bit more background so other people also become interested :)

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:42 pm

Commonwealth Saga, by Peter F Hamilton.

It would have to be a high(ish) budget series, and likely we can leave out Misspent Youth —a book the author himself has often referred to as Misspent Effort— but the series has pretty much everything needed to be a success on screen.

It could easily run for over a decade at normal season production rates.

stlgph

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:27 am

I always thought "The Twits" by Roald Dahl could be an excellent film.....had always imagined Tom Arnold and Roseanne Barr as Mr and Mrs Twit.

flash330

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm

Ive always thought the Terra Incognita series of books by Kevin Anderson would make a great TV series

tommy1808
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:38 pm

pune wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

best regards
Thomas

Can you share a bit more about the series, which genre is it action, fantasy, sci-fi or something else. It is usually better if you give a bit more background so other people also become interested :)

All Sci-Fi, with plenty of action.

1. Honor Harrington, essentially Hornblower Saga in Space, as a Space Opera. Lots of Space battle action, and plenty of side story and political games involved. Book stick to the in universe physics established. Honor Harrington being the main character and we follow her from her first independent command to an Admirals position and the conclusion of the war that hasn´t even started in book one.

2. Expeditonary Force: Earth get attacked by Aliens that get chased away by other Aliens after a short battle that nonetheless leaves much of Earths economy and infrastructure severely damaged. Earth allies with those "good" aliens against the "bad" aliens, providing boots on the ground on a freshly occupied world. Only to find out that labeling aliens as good, bad, allies or foes is a pretty fluent concept and mankind seems doomed until one of the main characters stumbles across an artifact from an even older alien race ..... everything beyond that would be spoilers.
Very entertaining popcorn books, tons of pop culture references....

3. Frontlines: Imagine the cold war made it into the age of interstellar travel, with armed clashes happening frequently outside the solar system. Until an enemy arrives with no other interesst than taking planets away from mankind a terraforming them to their liking, killing anyone that lives there in the process. No communication, no warnings, ships arrive and open fire, and land troops that are enormous, powerful, hard to kill, but seem to be more like large animals with small brains. Very little space battle, lots of ground action. Also fun read.

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Commonwealth Saga, by Peter F Hamilton.

It would have to be a high(ish) budget series, and likely we can leave out Misspent Youth —a book the author himself has often referred to as Misspent Effort— but the series has pretty much everything needed to be a success on screen.

It could easily run for over a decade at normal season production rates.

So, good that i skipped misspent Youth. I also enjoyed the "Salvation Sequence" written by him.

best regards
Thomas

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:19 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

So, good that i skipped misspent Youth. I also enjoyed the "Salvation Sequence" written by him.

best regards
Thomas

I liked those ones too. And I am looking fwd to what happens with the rest of the Arkship Trilogy.

I will say though that if they ever wanted to make a single movie out of any of his works, Fallen Dragon would probably be great. There is a lot of B & C plotting, but it could still be relatably condensed into a cinematic format...

pune

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:49 pm

This actually should be dedicated as a book corner. I am more into fantasy for some years as real science has been dystopian than assuring nowadays as all technologies is about Governments wanting to know more and more about us.

Cadet985

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:02 pm

If done properly, I think any of Dale Brown’s books featuring his Patrick McLanahan character could do very well on the big screen.

Marc

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:44 am

Michael Crichton's Airframe. I would think that in the age of the 737MAX revelations, the story outlined in Airframe would be highly relevant.

wingman

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:56 pm

Here's one for you guys - Five Decembers by James Kestrel. Never heard of him until last week but just finished his debut novel about a homicide investigation in Honolulu at the outbreak of WWII. It's a late nighter and has everything we'd ever need on this forum - travel, Pan Am Clippers, five day journeys to Hong Kong from Hawaii with 4 stops along the way, romance, war stories and of course an evil Nazi..what could be better?. It'd make a great movie. Highly recommended read from a new writer.

Ken777

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:24 am

The Late W. E. B. Griffin has long been my favorite writer and I like his series on "The Corps". Starts with China Sailors and Marines before WW IIand goes through the Korean War with about 10 volumes. Fantastic characters and some insights that only those who have been there would know.

Other Series for both sized screens would be "Men at War" (7 volumes) "Honor Bound" (7 volumes) and "Presidential Agent" (8 volumes).

The problem with writers who deliver really good series is that you could end up with 5 to 10 years of TV shows, or an indepemt movie for each book.

Virtual737

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:52 am

The Bible, by Disney. Fiction, with warnings of violence, racial hatred, sexual intolerance and extremism ;)

tommy1808
Topic Author

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:03 am

Virtual737 wrote:
The Bible, by Disney. Fiction, with warnings of violence, racial hatred, sexual intolerance and extremism ;)

don´t forget all the smiting and raping...

Ken777 wrote:
The Late W. E. B. Griffin has long been my favorite writer and I like his series on "The Corps". Starts with China Sailors and Marines before WW IIand goes through the Korean War with about 10 volumes. Fantastic characters and some insights that only those who have been there would know.

Other Series for both sized screens would be "Men at War" (7 volumes) "Honor Bound" (7 volumes) and "Presidential Agent" (8 volumes).

The problem with writers who deliver really good series is that you could end up with 5 to 10 years of TV shows, or an indepemt movie for each book.

Turns out this thead was a good idea... two years into a pandemic i kinda run out of books to read...

best regards
Thomas

petertenthije

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 am

Virtual737 wrote:

We already got “life of Brian” though?!

Ken777

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Turns out this thead was a good idea... two years into a pandemic i kinda run out of books to read...

best regards
Thomas

If you want to try Griffin I recommend starting with Semper Fi, the first volume in The Corps series. It takes a little time to develop some of the characters, but most last through all books in the Series.

Best Regards

Ken

Virtual737

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:24 am

petertenthije wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

We already got “life of Brian” though?!

Yes but he wasn't the Messiah....