Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Freaky accident

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:04 pm

I went to the dentist this afternoon, and as I rose from the chair, I heard a loud bang. I said to the dentist, not to worry, the streets are broken up snd they are working on it. I was quite wrong when I vacated the office, this was my view, without the officials of course.

link and link.

Unfortunately, two people were hurt. To think I should have walked there if my dentist wasn't running late, just a few minutes.

Quite remarkable to flip a car within a 30km/h zone. And quite remarkable the response of the emergency services, quite a few police cars, first on the scene within minutes, then two vehicles of the fire department and 3 ambulances and 1 trauma helicopter out of Amsterdam was present within 15 minutes. Good to know the response time is quite good when you need them.

NIKV69

Re: Freaky accident

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:11 pm

Yes it takes quite a speed to roll a car. I am glad no fatalities.

casinterest

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:20 pm

Glad they are OK

I am sure the local authorities had some serious doubts about the 30km/h story they probably tried to tell.

Elkadad313

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:46 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Not so much these days with the proliferation of top-heavy SUVs.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I went to the dentist this afternoon, and as I rose from the chair, I heard a loud bang. I said to the dentist, not to worry, the streets are broken up snd they are working on it. I was quite wrong when I vacated the office, this was my view, without the officials of course.

link and link.

Unfortunately, two people were hurt. To think I should have walked there if my dentist wasn't running late, just a few minutes.

Quite remarkable to flip a car within a 30km/h zone. And quite remarkable the response of the emergency services, quite a few police cars, first on the scene within minutes, then two vehicles of the fire department and 3 ambulances and 1 trauma helicopter out of Amsterdam was present within 15 minutes. Good to know the response time is quite good when you need them.

Can't really tell for sure, but those look like summer tyres? Aren't you required to fit winter tyres on your car in the Netherlands during winter time, regardless if it snows or not?

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:10 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

It wasn't an SUV though, just a small hatchback. Seems that the driver tried to evasive a cyclist and hit a lamppost, kind of an old-style variant. The cyclist was wounded in the incident. You don't/ can't really drive there faster than 30km/h, it is kind of a service road. It happened here.

bpatus297

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

It wasn't an SUV though, just a small hatchback. Seems that the driver tried to evasive a cyclist and hit a lamppost, kind of an old-style variant. The cyclist was wounded in the incident. You don't/ can't really drive there faster than 30km/h, it is kind of a service road. It happened here.

I would bet the lamppost was bent over and acted as a lever or ramp, so to say, causing the car to flip

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

889091 wrote:
Can't really tell for sure, but those look like summer tyres? Aren't you required to fit winter tyres on your car in the Netherlands during winter time, regardless if it snows or not?

No, no requierment, but it is recomended. It isn't that cold in Utrecht, around 5 degrees.
Last edited by Dutchy on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:17 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
I would bet the lamppost was bent over and acted as a lever or ramp, so to say, causing the car to flip

It broke off even, so yeah that. would be my laymen's explanation as well.

bpatus297

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

It broke off even, so yeah that. would be my laymen's explanation as well.

I hope everyone ends up okay.

It all comes back to the silly physics class in high school. :lol:

seb146

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:48 am

NIKV69 wrote:

10MPH. Depending on what else the driver was doing and what else was going on.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:30 am

that is freakingly low, only 1/2 of the max. speed allowed there.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:48 am

Gadzooks! Look at that awful parking job from Mr. BMW there...

Dutchy wrote:
No, no requierment, but it is recomended. It isn't that cold in Utrecht, around 5 degrees.

That is really not bad. We approach that at night sometimes in Los Angeles this time of year...

Virtual737

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 am

You can't park there!

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
You can't park there!

True, even though no wheels touch the sidewalk, you cannot park on the sidewalk. Luckily, there were enough police there to give him/her a fine. I was quite surprised that they even came with sirens just for that purpose. :lol:

Aesma

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:58 pm

My house is on a street that is curved, people often underestimate the curve and go too fast (I think there should be a 30Km/h limit instead of the normal 50), so accidents are common. I never, ever park my car in front of my house. One time a neighbour got his two cars wrecked, they were parked on two adjacent spots in the curve...

The "nicest" accident I saw was a Golf that ended up on the side, by itself. It was 1 or 2 am and the lady driving was probably driving the limit, however a cat got in the way so she gave a hard driving wheel input, collided with a parked car and ended up on the side. I helped the passenger get out of the "top" by the passenger door, the driver was freaked and waited for the fire brigade to get out, they smashed the rear windshield to get to her. No injuries fortunately (including the cat).

wingman

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:03 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Gadzooks! Look at that awful parking job from Mr. BMW there...
[

In the US the most common parking question is "what are those lines for?" I love getting right up against these idiots that park like this BMW. It's a side benefit of driving an 8 year old car that's fully paid off and thoroughly scuffed. In Holland it has to be special fun watching a guy that's 6-8 climb through the moonroof to get into his blocked car. Anyway, we digress.