Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

10 Years Since Costa Concordia Disaster

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:24 am

Wednesday marked the 10 year anniversary of the partial sinking of the Costa Concordia in Italy and that event had huge ramifications in the cruise industry. Very significant event that shocked those involved with cruise ships.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today. ... /rcna11897

A101

Re: 10 Years Since Costa Concordia Disaster

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Wednesday marked the 10 year anniversary of the partial sinking of the Costa Concordia in Italy and that event had huge ramifications in the cruise industry. Very significant event that shocked those involved with cruise ships.

Yes I saw a documentary about that the other day, just really what we al know, but didn’t really explain why they choose that path to do a salute of the island

It was really just an overview on what happened

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:54 am

Has it really been 10 years since the Costa Concordia? It sure felt like yesterday.

jetwet1

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:32 am

A101 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Yes I saw a documentary about that the other day, just really what we al know, but didn’t really explain why they choose that path to do a salute of the island

A former captain of the ship lived there. The then captain thought it was a good idea to salute his mentor.

A101

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 am

jetwet1 wrote:
A101 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

A former captain of the ship lived there. The then captain thought it was a good idea to salute his mentor.

I must have missed the bit on the reason for the salute, but I was more referring to why they choose a transit passage so close to the rocks and shallow water

ltbewr

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:36 am

One cannot ignore the loss of life (32 passengers, 1 recovery person), the environmental damage, the huge costs of recovery and removal of the ship over $2 Billion USD, the captain eventually convicted with years in jail on criminal charges from this stupid and totally avoidable disaster.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia_disaster

Like with aircraft crashes and major incidents, hopefully lessons were learned from it. They should have included the equivalent of Cockpit Resource Management improvements so a junior Captain could override a captain's order that puts the ship and passengers at risk. Hopefully too cruise companies have tightened internal rules that limit deviation of routes to avoid risks. Lessons have been learned as to ship recovery and rescue of people on the ship. This disaster didn't have to happen and it should never happen again.

jetwet1

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:33 pm

A101 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
A101 wrote:

I must have missed the bit on the reason for the salute, but I was more referring to why they choose a transit passage so close to the rocks and shallow water

Oh, sorry, honestly, the only person who could answer why anyone would decide to navigate a $570m cruise ship with 4252 people on board, into a charted reef while turning off the warning system is the captain, he did say he had done it 3 or 4 times before. I would also say that the 1st officer is at fault for not raising hell with Costa over the fact that the captain kept ordering this maneuver.

casinterest

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:04 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Has it really been 10 years since the Costa Concordia? It sure felt like yesterday.

Time flies. I can still hardly believe that the captain only got 16 years for causing the deaths of 32 people.

mchei

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm

On this occasion I’m happily sharing how Cpt. Schettino gets roasted by the Italian Marine Cpt. De Falco:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_08zcCmx8

B777LRF

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:04 pm

His name will live on in infamy, forever marked as a coward who had zero respect for the duties, responsibilities and obligations of a Captain.

jetwet1

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:05 pm

I've been doing some reading on this. It turns out the the prior "salutes" were done with company knowledge (however during daylight hours) so I take back what I said about the first officer.

af773atmsp

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 pm

Is it a myth that he detoured off course to impress his girlfriend?

Also how exactly does someone slip into a lifeboat, as the captain claimed for not staying on the ship?

N14AZ

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 pm

"Fare lo Schettino" became a popular saying in Italy. It’s like „to act the Schettino“. Pheew, you really know you made a mistake if an entire nation uses your name to describe a coward…

A101

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:29 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One cannot ignore the loss of life (32 passengers, 1 recovery person), the environmental damage, the huge costs of recovery and removal of the ship over $2 Billion USD, the captain eventually convicted with years in jail on criminal charges from this stupid and totally avoidable disaster.

Like with aircraft crashes and major incidents, hopefully lessons were learned from it. They should have included the equivalent of Cockpit Resource Management improvements so a junior Captain could override a captain's order that puts the ship and passengers at risk. Hopefully too cruise companies have tightened internal rules that limit deviation of routes to avoid risks. Lessons have been learned as to ship recovery and rescue of people on the ship. This disaster didn't have to happen and it should never happen again.

If I recall the documentary right I believe Costa now only has the final say of going off route and the vessels are now tracked in real time to make sure where they are, but that’s is only as good of the person/s doing the monitoring

pune

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:25 pm

A101 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

If I recall the documentary right I believe Costa now only has the final say of going off route and the vessels are now tracked in real time to make sure where they are, but that’s is only as good of the person/s doing the monitoring

And who monitors the monitor :)

NIKV69

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 pm

mchei wrote:
On this occasion I’m happily sharing how Cpt. Schettino gets roasted by the Italian Marine Cpt. De Falco:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_08zcCmx8

Chilling how he was so afraid. Shame.

zkojq

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:21 pm

B777LRF wrote:
His name will live on in infamy, forever marked as a coward who had zero respect for the duties, responsibilities and obligations of a Captain.

:checkmark: In many ways I think this is much worse than the jail sentence. For generations upon generations his name will be a byword for extreme incompetence and cowardice. His kids have to live with that and so will his grandkids....and at some point presumably he has to explain it to them which has got to be a particularly awkward conversation.

And once he's released from jail and seeks new employment i doubt many people will bother reading more than the first line of his CV...

af773atmsp wrote:

Supposedly his mistress was on the bridge at the time.

NIKV69

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm

zkojq wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

:checkmark: In many ways I think this is much worse than the jail sentence. For generations upon generations his name will be a byword for extreme incompetence and cowardice. His kids have to live with that and so will his grandkids....and at some point presumably he has to explain it to them which has got to be a particularly awkward conversation.

And once he's released from jail and seeks new employment i doubt many people will bother reading more than the first line of his CV...

af773atmsp wrote:

Supposedly his mistress was on the bridge at the time.

Yes, he did everything counter to what a captain of any vessel should do. The most chilling thing on the phone call was when his superior says you want to go home because it's dark? Wow.