Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

johnboy
Topic Author

Olympians Told To Use Burner Phones During Beijing Olympics

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:12 am

"Personal information collected by Beijing 2022 will not be disclosed unless the disclosure is necessary," the organizing committee said.“

Hmmm.
Good luck, world.

https://www.joemygod.com/2022/01/olympi ... -in-china/

flyguy89

Re: Olympians Told To Use Burner Phones During Beijing Olympics

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:40 am

Been given the same advice by multiple people about visiting Beijing. Never let your personal phone connect to any cell network there.

LabQuest

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:47 am

What a wonderful country.

Aaron747

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:15 am

Nice one, IOC. For sale, as always.

Aesma

Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:35 pm

Isn't the NSA spying on us, wherever we are ?

Palop

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:05 pm

Aesma wrote:

Only if they determine that your profile is >50% likely to be a non-American. So that only catches some US citizens (most likely of the wrong political leanings anyway) along with all the rest of the world’s citizens, so it’s all good. Nothing to see here.

Francoflier

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am

A BBC article on the subject:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60034013

On top of the privacy and security issues surrounding the user's data, there seems to be a censorship component to the official Beijing games app.

Users also have to download the app and log their 'Covid status' daily at least before leaving for China.

Derico

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm

Palop wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Only if they determine that your profile is >50% likely to be a non-American. So that only catches some US citizens (most likely of the wrong political leanings anyway) along with all the rest of the world’s citizens, so it’s all good. Nothing to see here.

Wait, what? So to spy on foreign visitors to the US is ok for the US but not for other countries? (Both happen)

NIKV69

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 pm

Derico wrote:
Palop wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Wait, what? So to spy on foreign visitors to the US is ok for the US but not for other countries? (Both happen)

I know right? It's sickening that athletes are thrust into this because nobody should be going to these games.

scbriml

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:49 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Derico wrote:
Palop wrote:

I know right? It's sickening that athletes are thrust into this because nobody should be going to these games.

Who's forcing the athletes to go?

flyguy89

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:32 pm

Derico wrote:
Palop wrote:
Aesma wrote:

All countries spy and keep tabs on each other to a certain extent including the US, this has always been true. But if you talk with anyone in the know or who works in Info Sec, China and Russia are on a completely different level as far as how active or invasive they are with your data.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 pm

There are many issues with having international competitions including Olympic games in the PRC and a number of other countries as to privacy, human rights, ethnic, religious and political repression. Problem is that many other countries are rejecting holding them due to their costs to taxpayers and massive corruption around them. The issues of a lack of privacy with personal cell/smart phones in PRC is just one example of their totalitarian control of leaders in the country. If I were a competitor, I wouldn't go anywhere near China just over their being the home of Covid-19, the health horrors it has done to the world and lack of transparency in their country and the world over it.
I doubt I will watch much of it here in the USA as the coverage is delayed, horrible, overly USA first or only, too many commercials, terrible commentators, money from it goes to corruption in the PRC and the IOC, facilities with limited future use there and just less interest in winter sports.

FlapOperator

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:07 pm

scbriml wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Derico wrote:

I'd argue the IOC.

I mean, sure we can play the whole "well, their participation is entirely voluntary" game but its a specious argument. Many of these athletes are functionally paid to train and participate in the Olympics. Why the IOC believes that China is just like Japan or Canada is only answered by a complete moral vacuum.

pune

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:03 am

FlapOperator wrote:
scbriml wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I'd argue the IOC.

I mean, sure we can play the whole "well, their participation is entirely voluntary" game but its a specious argument. Many of these athletes are functionally paid to train and participate in the Olympics. Why the IOC believes that China is just like Japan or Canada is only answered by a complete moral vacuum.

While I'm no China lover, I do have a question to ask, has IOC ever taken a stand on human rights or for that matter digital rights. Is it part of the charter ??? Is it part of the mantra that will give the most moolah to IOC for hosting the Olympics? IIRC, IOC had held the Olympics even during the Hitler era. So unless they change the rules on a large number of things, don't think things will change.

I come from India, where more than 80% cellphones and brands are Chinese -

https://www.91mobiles.com/best-mobiles-in-india

And those of us who have worked on mobile phones do know that data is sent to CCP similar to as it's sent to NSA but nothing can be done about it. You can even lookup as to which countries have the highest number of patents on cellphones, 5G, 6G etc. that tells its own answers.

pune

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:26 am

Also, see https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16051820/. Just the first two scenes are enough to tell how far back the surveillance state is/was.

PhilBy

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:52 pm

If we travel for business to either China or the USA we are required to take cleaned company phones and laptops, not our personal devices.

art

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 am

38 years after 1984 we have the thought police of Big Brother and the Party in Eastasia all set up to make sure they can check anyone who goes to Eastasia for thought crime or word crime. No doubt all visitors and competitors will have telescreens in their rooms, too.

Of course, since I live in Eurasia everything I believe about Eastasia is false since I am subject to an unremitting stream of anti-Eastasian propaganda pushed out by the Eurasian Ministry of Truth here.