Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Bugatti Chiron driving 417 kph on the Autobahn

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:04 pm

A billionaire drove the Bugatti Chiron on the Autobahn with 417 kph (around 255 mph) and made a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pg1hhW5qhM&t=2s

Formally, it can be discussed whether this was completely legal. The stretch of the A2 has no speed limit, but § 3 of the german traffic regulation states that speed must be adopted to the drivers skill and traffic congestion. While it was in summer in perfect conditions, it might be questionable whether he would have been able to stop in time when he spots people.

Or said with other words: Welcome to Germany :D

Francoflier

Re: Bugatti Chiron driving 417 kph on the Autobahn

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:10 pm

He's certainly giving politicians an argument for imposing speed limits where there are none and ruining it for everyone else.

Hasn't he heard that all the cool billionaires go to space these days?

StarAC17

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:19 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
A billionaire drove the Bugatti Chiron on the Autobahn with 417 kph (around 255 mph) and made a video of it:

Formally, it can be discussed whether this was completely legal. The stretch of the A2 has no speed limit, but § 3 of the german traffic regulation states that speed must be adopted to the drivers skill and traffic congestion. While it was in summer in perfect conditions, it might be questionable whether he would have been able to stop in time when he spots people.

He would have has very little if no time to react had any obstruction got in his way.

Considering F1 cars cap out at say 340 km/h with a car that has really expensive aerodynamics to make it go so fast. I don't know how this could be considered safe in any capacity.

wingman

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:40 pm

Watching for the cars he passes I'd wager at least some never saw him coming, lights on or not. To Star's point, any one of those cars could have occupied the fast lane having checked the rear view and seen nothing coming and I wonder how this guy and the car react with simultanoeus heavy brakes and steering movement. Nevertheless, very cool to watch. It almost doesn't look real..I mean where are the potholes and the garbage?

casinterest

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:07 pm

It is amazing, but the spoiler and design helps keep it down. Before restrictor plates, NASCAR used to have cars get up to the 220+ range. Below is a reference to Wallace hitting 228(466kph) on the straightaway at Talladega. Think about what they could hit om that 10k straightaway in Germany.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1513 ... -car-news/

Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:52 pm

The A2 is one of the oldest german motorways, completed before WW2. The track was completely rebuilt 20 years ago after reunification, so it is in great condition (we don't habe potholes on the Autobahn), but the Track itself was kept. Newer Autobahnen do not have straight lanes as people tend to get tired, so curves were designed. The A2 does not have that which makes it ideal for such a stunt.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
It is amazing, but the spoiler and design helps keep it down. Before restrictor plates, NASCAR used to have cars get up to the 220+ range. Below is a reference to Wallace hitting 228(466kph) on the straightaway at Talladega. Think about what they could hit om that 10k straightaway in Germany.

228mph is not 466km/h, it’s about 365km/h or so. So that’s even slower than the old Mclaren F1:

100/140/190/240/290/370 (speeds in gears 1-6 in km/h at 7500rpm)

Chiron Supersport 300 tops out at 490km/h. The Chiron driver here did obviously take precautions and he had a spotter car ahead to warn of traffic. The lack of traffic helps.

Then back in the old days the Mercedes Typ 80 project of Ferdinand Porsche and Hans Stuck (senior) with the 3000hp engine was to achieve 750km/h. Incredibly it had only a single gear, relying on the torque of the engine and the special torque converter to get it moving on the purpose built stretch of autobahn. This torque converter would lock up at about 100km/h. The machine had 4WD (at the back) to give traction and wings and a tunnel design at the back provided downforce to keep the machine steady.

Then WW2 stopped the project. Most fortunate that the “blackbird” survived. It was incredibly interesting in its engineering.

casinterest

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 pm

cpd wrote:
casinterest wrote:

228mph is not 466km/h, it’s about 365km/h or so. So that’s even slower than the old Mclaren F1:

Chiron Supersport 300 tops out at 490km/h. The Chiron driver here did obviously take precautions and he had a spotter car ahead to warn of traffic. The lack of traffic helps.

Then back in the old days the Mercedes Typ 80 project of Ferdinand Porsche and Hans Stuck (senior) with the 3000hp engine was to achieve 750km/h. Incredibly it had only a single gear, relying on the torque of the engine and the special torque converter to get it moving on the purpose built stretch of autobahn. This torque converter would lock up at about 100km/h. The machine had 4WD (at the back) to give traction and wings and a tunnel design at the back provided downforce to keep the machine steady.

Then WW2 stopped the project. Most fortunate that the “blackbird” survived. It was incredibly interesting in its engineering.

Typo. I meant 366, but my point is that at Talladega, they have to turn. Unrestricted, they could in theory approach the speed, although the NASCAR's have an aerodynamic issue the higher they go, which is why they have restrictor plates now for races.

The Chiron is gorgeous, but the technology as you point out has been there for years.

Dutchy

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:04 pm

If I had a Bugatti, I would do the same ;-). Certainly in Germany, only a 20minutes drive at those speeds :lol:

Never have driven faster than 227km/h on the autobahn. Although driving a 15y/o Fiat Tipo at 155km/h downhill was by far more dangerous.

Dutchy

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:10 pm

wingman wrote:
Watching for the cars he passes I'd wager at least some never saw him coming, lights on or not. To Star's point, any one of those cars could have occupied the fast lane having checked the rear view and seen nothing coming and I wonder how this guy and the car react with simultanoeus heavy brakes and steering movement. Nevertheless, very cool to watch. It almost doesn't look real..I mean where are the potholes and the garbage?

It isn't America, we drive on the left here. Only allowed to be on the right, or the third lane in this instance, if you pass a car or if you drive 400km/h plus ;-).

Seriously, it didn't look too dangerous, with light traffic and good visibility Sure, something unexpected could happen and then he would be dead, but other than that a calculated risk I would say.

Would be quite amazing sitting on the left lane, driving 120/130km/h and knowing that the speed difference between the car that overtook you is twice as much as you to a tree on the roadside.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 pm

casinterest wrote:
cpd wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Typo. I meant 366, but my point is that at Talladega, they have to turn. Unrestricted, they could in theory approach the speed, although the NASCAR's have an aerodynamic issue the higher they go, which is why they have restrictor plates now for races.

The Chiron is gorgeous, but the technology as you point out has been there for years.

I'm unsure the Nascars will go that much faster on a flat road - reaching 360km/h is one thing, but going over 400km/h takes very good aerodynamics (stability too) and a lot of power, the Chiron has 1500hp (or 1600hp) and torque to match it. It's a giant engine. The faster you want to go then the more power you need.

However I remember when Andy Wallace did the 490km/h record in the Chiron Supersport he mentioned that it was moving about a bit. The old Veyron used to do that as well at 430+km/h, they are obviously approaching the limits of the platform.

Only potential faster car on the way is the Koenigsegg Jesko in its high speed version - rumours are suggesting 330mph. I suspect that might be the fastest of the lot, and that thing is about the ultimate configuration, lightweight, clever aerodynamics, a fairly light 5 litre V8 pushing 1600hp and a really clever transmission that nobody else has done before (or even thought of). That one is less of the "sledgehammer" approach of Bugatti and more about using efficiency to get the speed. I can't see anything else going faster at the moment, all the other cars on the way are slower and/or don't care about top speed.

Actually with those speeds there are very few places you can even test them and it's very dangerous - Koenigsegg with the Agera RS was fairly ideal on a closed public highway but even that has risks with animals or the tyres as well. They had a vulture on the road that took off, then moments later the Agera RS roars past at some ridiculous speed. They got lucky with the tyres, the Agera RS is very easy on its tyres and after the top speed efforts the tyres were looking like new. It spent another year on those tyres IIRC.

You can't have a helicopters for spotting the road ahead, the car is much faster than a helicopter - so you need a small jet. That's what they did in France with the TGV records, they had jets following the trains because they were going that fast.

ltbewr

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:14 am

There a number of videos including on YouTube with skilled drivers driving very powerful cars on the German Autobahn. I have seen some of where approached 300 Kms/hr.. or more.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:46 am

ltbewr wrote:
There a number of videos including on YouTube with skilled drivers driving very powerful cars on the German Autobahn. I have seen some of where approached 300 Kms/hr.. or more.

Comparing the Bugatti video, I think it was done in a much safer situation than this 5.8L Bi-Turbo E63 AMG (920hp):

https://youtu.be/d4FX4J4QWc8

It must be said this is a very fast way to move 5 people and their luggage.

Kent350787

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:18 am

cpd wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Comparing the Bugatti video, I think it was done in a much safer situation than this 5.8L Bi-Turbo E63 AMG (920hp):

https://youtu.be/d4FX4J4QWc8

It must be said this is a very fast way to move 5 people and their luggage.

The Bugatti video was safer than I expected it to be, but any sort of lose would have been deadly. I agree far safer than the E63 video on two lanes with a reasonable amount of traffic.

I still have fond memories of cruising at around 160kmh on a slightly drizzly A8 between Passau and Regensberg and being a little shocked at the closing speeds of some high performance vehicles. Also, for the inexperienced, its very easy to get up to speed and cruise, but learning to brake is just as important.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:25 pm

Imagine if a wild pig or deer jumped out...complete toast.

Interesting to note that the car is Czech registered. Had "die Polizei" stopped him, could they have theoretically impounded the car in Germany? Yes, technically he had not broken any laws, but there is a specific clause that someone mentioned upthread.

tommy1808

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm

889091 wrote:

Interesting to note that the car is Czech registered. Had "die Polizei" stopped him, could they have theoretically impounded the car in Germany? Yes, technically he had not broken any laws, but there is a specific clause that someone mentioned upthread.

That is something of the "but if something happens" variety. Verkehrsgefährdung (endangering traffic) can have a lot of consequences, but impounding the car is none of them.

Best regards
Thomas

sebolino

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:18 pm

What a moron !!!

noviorbis77

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:47 am

Dutchy wrote:
If I had a Bugatti, I would do the same ;-). Certainly in Germany, only a 20minutes drive at those speeds :lol:

Never have driven faster than 227km/h on the autobahn. Although driving a 15y/o Fiat Tipo at 155km/h downhill was by far more dangerous.

I wonder how long the fuel tank would last?

20 minutes at full speed could drain the tank?

Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:57 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I wonder how long the fuel tank would last?

20 minutes at full speed could drain the tank?

Fuel lasts 6 minutes and 50 seconds for the Supersport 300.

That’s the inbuilt safety measure because the tyres last about 15 minutes at 490km/h. A heavy car moving at those crazy speeds is putting huge stresses on its tyres.

M564038

Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:14 pm

As someone correctly pointed out in the YouTube thread:
He didn’t drive safely or legally
He kept in the left lane the whole time even when the right one was available and he should have steered there to let other drivers safely pass him.

Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 pm

M564038 wrote:
As someone correctly pointed out in the YouTube thread:
He didn’t drive safely or legally
He kept in the left lane the whole time even when the right one was available and he should have steered there to let other drivers safely pass him.

This guy could probably overtake him if he was in his slipstream...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49NxrVB62M

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:47 pm

That's not fast, this is fast: ;)

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/classi ... benz-t-80/

44.5 litres 12 Cylinder DB603 engine running on a lovely fuel mixture:

Methyl alcohol (63%)
Benzene (16%)
Ethanol (12%)
Acetone (4.4%)
Nitrobenzene (2.2%)
Avgas (2%)
Ether (0.4%)

And methanol-water injection for charge cooling and anti-detonation. Originally planned for about 500km/h with a less powerful engine, but the overseas vehicles going faster made Professor Porsche do calculations to see what was needed to go faster. He proposed a 3000hp engine could be enough, if Daimler-Benz could build one - which they did. It would have ran on a special stretch of what is now the A9. If you want interesting reading, try to find a copy of Karl Ludvigsen's brilliant book "Quicksilver Century" which has a big section on the Mercedes Benz and also Auto-Union record cars. The book is now very expensive but it's fascinating and really shows the old-style engineering driven Mercedes ways.

People driving at 50km/h not watching what they are doing are equally dangerous, just yesterday we had a big crash outside my house because some guy wasn't watching what was ahead.
Last edited by 45272455674 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max Q

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pm

These idiots should be locked up for endangering others

Kiwirob

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:36 am

TheSonntag wrote:

Stopping distance for a Chiron at at 300kp/h is 275m, this is a car that managed 0-400-0 in 42 seconds, 9.3 seconds of those 42 were braking,

Zeppi

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:27 am

That actually was my first reaction when I saw the clip: Damn, clear violation of the Rechtsfahrgebot (lane discipline), throw the book at him! :bigthumbsup:

889091 wrote:

Autobahn is completely fenced and there are even special forestated bridges to allow safe crossing for wildlife: https://www.baysf.de/de/medienraum/pres ... nutzt.html
It's actually extremely rare that you hear of any incursion of animals onto the autobahn because of that, only if a fence goes broken unnoticed somewhere.
The biggest worry at high speeds really is tyre parts that have been shedded by mostly eastern european trucks.

400km/h is really quite something though. I regularly reach 300km/h on the A8 between Munich and Ulm on sunday mornings with perfect weather and no traffic (no trucks allowed on the Autobahn on sundays and public holidays too), but I would never do it if any other traffic is around. With some traffic 200km/h still is a good cruise speed, but once traffic gets too dense with many trucks on the right lane and slowpokes incursing on the left lane with sometimes less than 150km/h it bekomes pointless. Having to brake for them all the time just totally ruins the fuel economy.

Also I have the perception that general driving (at least in my area here) on the Autobahn has become a lot more mutually relaxed in recent years. Yes, people still go very fast if safe to do so which is totally fine of course, but there is MUCH less tailgating, flashing headlights and so on than there used to be.

mxaxai

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:59 am

Zeppi wrote:
Autobahn is completely fenced

No it's not. There are plenty of areas without, and you still get animals on the road on a daily basis.

Dutchy

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:15 am

Zeppi wrote:
I regularly reach 300km/h on the A8 between Munich and Ulm on sunday mornings with perfect weather and no traffic (no trucks allowed on the Autobahn on sundays and public holidays too), but I would never do it if any other traffic is around. With some traffic 200km/h still is a good cruise speed, but once traffic gets too dense with many trucks on the right lane and slowpokes incursing on the left lane with sometimes less than 150km/h it bekomes pointless. Having to brake for them all the time just totally ruins the fuel economy.

Sorry, this made me laugh, going from 300km/h and then talking about fuel economy. :lol:

Zeppi

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:56 am

Well yes, at 300km/h fuel consumption goes through the roof and it really is silly to do. It's a case of "Why? - Because I can!" really, same as doing some nutty aerobatics with a Pitts or Slingsby - pointless but still fun to do sometimes.
At 200km/h it's not that bad though, my car uses around 9l/100km of diesel then, driving steadily. But constant braking and accelerating kills it, which is why I always slow down to the traffic flow if there is dense traffic.

mxaxai wrote:
No it's not. There are plenty of areas without, and you still get animals on the road on a daily basis.

Hardy in the area I drive in (A8, A96, A7), you can see the fence all the time even. Only in some urban areas there may be none, but then there's a speed limit usually. Last time I heard of animals on the autobahn were dogs close to Munich.

N14AZ

Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Zeppi wrote:
Well yes, at 300km/h fuel consumption goes through the roof and it really is silly to do. It's a case of "Why? - Because I can!" really, same as doing some nutty aerobatics with a Pitts or Slingsby - pointless but still fun to do sometimes.
At 200km/h it's not that bad though, my car uses around 9l/100km of diesel then, driving steadily. But constant braking and accelerating kills it, which is why I always slow down to the traffic flow if there is dense traffic.

mxaxai wrote:

Hardy in the area I drive in (A8, A96, A7), you can see the fence all the time even. Only in some urban areas there may be none, but then there's a speed limit usually. Last time I heard of animals on the autobahn were dogs close to Munich.

With all due respect and I hope it’s okay to ask this question: do you have to pay for the fuel or does your company cover these cost?

My theory is that all the drivers driving really fast, let’s say >180 km/h , are using business cars where the company pays for the fuel cost. Of course there are exceptions…

Tugger

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 pm

cpd wrote:
You can't have a helicopters for spotting the road ahead, the car is much faster than a helicopter -

Of course a helicopter could have been used for spotting. The entire run was only about 20km and a helicopter has line of sight greater than that. Just start with it at 5-7km out with a person on binoculars and you can advise of potential traffic and where/which lane it is in.

If I'm a billionaire I could even afford two helicopters... I want to enjoy my billions for decades to come.

Tugg

NIKV69

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:55 pm

Insane! Wow. Very dangerous on a public road.

ACDC8

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:01 am

Stunts like this have been used in the argument for speed limits on the Autobahn for decades now, and still, nothing has changed. Some 20 years ago, there was a Mercedes test driver that caused a fatal accident, killing a young mother and child through excessive speed on the A5 and there were calls to post speed limits back then.

Dutchy

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:24 am

I heard on the radio that the police are investigating the incident, so perhaps he will not get 'away' with it. Don't think a fine would cause significant problems for him, don't think Germany has an income-dependent fine, do they?

N14AZ

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Stunts like this have been used in the argument for speed limits on the Autobahn for decades now, and still, nothing has changed. Some 20 years ago, there was a Mercedes test driver that caused a fatal accident, killing a young mother and child through excessive speed on the A5 and there were calls to post speed limits back then.

I remember this accident very well. So tragic and this guy was or maybe still is such a coward…

NIKV69 wrote:
Insane! Wow. Very dangerous on a public road.

I drove with my daughter on the very same section of the A2 (she drove to get more practice…). After overtaking a car she stayed on the left lane and I asked her to go back to the middle lane (the right lane was full of trucks, as always). So in this typical teenager behavior she asked „why?“. I told her about this Czech guy and showed her the video later on…

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Idiots with just one hand on the wheel are are bigger worry to me. Their other hand is holding their phone as they drive.

planewasted

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:43 pm

Total disregard of life. He should never be allowed to own or drive a car again.

WildcatYXU

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:45 pm

I wonder why he didn't try to book time on the circular test track in Nardo.

Kent350787

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:03 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
I wonder why he didn't try to book time on the circular test track in Nardo.

The curve on Nardo restricts top speeds due to tyre scrub.

Zeppi

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:33 am

Authorities are now investigating for "Illegal street racing", link in German: https://www.focus.de/auto/autobahn-zwis ... 45712.html

Don't know if they have an actual case there though, unless they can prove other cars were involved.

N14AZ wrote:
With all due respect and I hope it’s okay to ask this question: do you have to pay for the fuel or does your company cover these cost?

No, this is my private car. My company just pays me the standard 30ct/km when I'm driving somewhere work related, which is 99% on weekdays when really fast driving isn't safe/possbile anyway due to traffic. I also only use it on long trips on the autobahn, for everything short range (150km radius) I have a BEV (Hyundai Ioniq) that's entirely PV charged.
Even long range will mostly be taken over by a BEV by the end of the year (Tesla S Plaid). The diesel beast will stay though, as its value is currently rising quite sharply due to being quite rare. Last V8 twin-turbo diesel built by BMW in basically mint condition.

N14AZ

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:58 pm

Zeppi wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

No, this is my private car. My company just pays me the standard 30ct/km when I'm driving somewhere work related, which is 99% on weekdays when really fast driving isn't safe/possbile anyway due to traffic. I also only use it on long trips on the autobahn, for everything short range (150km radius) I have a BEV (Hyundai Ioniq) that's entirely PV charged.
Even long range will mostly be taken over by a BEV by the end of the year (Tesla S Plaid). The diesel beast will stay though, as its value is currently rising quite sharply due to being quite rare. Last V8 twin-turbo diesel built by BMW in basically mint condition.

Thank you for your feedback. I wasn’t sure if my question was appropriate. To fill up the gas tank now costs more than 100 EUR. That’s why I always wonder when I see all these Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc. on the left lane chasing each other if they pay the fuel by themselves or not…

ItnStln

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:07 pm

Zeppi wrote:
The diesel beast will stay though, as its value is currently rising quite sharply due to being quite rare. Last V8 twin-turbo diesel built by BMW in basically mint condition.

What model BMW?

Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:22 am

Zeppi wrote:
Authorities are now investigating for "Illegal street racing", link in German: https://www.focus.de/auto/autobahn-zwis ... 45712.html

Don't know if they have an actual case there though, unless they can prove other cars were involved.

N14AZ wrote:

I guess they will have to go after all those YouTube channels where the authors are driving fast on autobahns.

Anyone doing a top speed run, a lot of them with far heavier traffic conditions that with the Bugatti. They will be very busy.

Was your BMW a 7 series V8 diesel before the 400hp M50d came along?

PhilBy

Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:38 pm

I have to admit that the partner of a colleague went to Germany to profit from the high speed autobahns but didn't realise that most are speed restricted. That sounded like a lot of speeding fines!

Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:55 pm

It depends where you are. From Kamen to Bielefeld you have 70km without Limit. But usually Lots of traffic. Driving up to 160 to 200 is common. Anything above is risky.

ACDC8

Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Its been a few years, but the A3 never really had any speed restrictions, there's the one going down the hill outside of Limburg, around the Koln area, one just south of Dusseldorf and one up by Wesel, after that, its clear sailing all the way to the Dutch border. Of course, after 2200 with the Larmshutzgebiets, then there would be a few more.

The A40 on the other hand, nothing but speed restrictions.

T4thH

Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:18 pm

PhilBy wrote:
I have to admit that the partner of a colleague went to Germany to profit from the high speed autobahns but didn't realise that most are speed restricted. That sounded like a lot of speeding fines!

It really depends, where you are/where you live in Germany. The highways in Germany in the metropl regions as also the main highways, connecting them, are just full. The whole European traffic by truck goes through Germany, especially in west-east/east-west direction and in north-south/south-north. There is a reason, the average daily lenght of all traffic jams is around 3.000 km (all streets together) in Germany.

On many of them (so the overfull ones), there are speed restrictions, or they are just full during daytimes, that it is not possible to drive fast. Often there are others highways parallel to the main highways in 50 km distance and these are not restricted. So you have to know the right ones, as example: A31, A29, A70...
As example, on the A29, there are regular some cars driving fast...faster, much much faster...how else all these 10 to 12.000 test cars per year shall get to Papenburg? A Bugatti prototype...with more than 300 up to around 400...yes...

c933103

Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:48 pm

High speed trains require in-cabin signalling and no level crossing for speed beyond 200km/h due to driver would be unable to spot what appears on the track.
I think the same should apply to road too.

notaxonrotax

Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:46 pm

How can you tell you are entering a zone without limits?

Perhaps Autobahn experts can chime in please, with a route Bern--> Stuttgart --> Luxembourg--> where can I go full speed please.....legally?

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax

wirkey

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 pm

notaxonrotax wrote:
How can you tell you are entering a zone without limits?

Perhaps Autobahn experts can chime in please, with a route Bern--> Stuttgart --> Luxembourg--> where can I go full speed please.....legally?

It's the other way round. It's unlimited and only if posted there is a limit.

If there is a limit it has to be posted in certain distances and after every entrance.

prebennorholm

Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:19 am

Dutchy wrote:
I heard on the radio that the police are investigating the incident, so perhaps he will not get 'away' with it. Don't think a fine would cause significant problems for him, don't think Germany has an income-dependent fine, do they?

It was on the news here in Denmark as well. They said that German laws include a paragraph about "insane driving" which could put him two years behind bars - more if he had caused inconvenience, incident or accident.