Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Adele cancels day before first concert.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:32 am

Wow
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/entertai ... index.html

I mean you didn’t know this until the day before your concert? With the prices of her tickets I think she could have put something together. I mean the people are already in town and don’t get the flight or hotel refunded. Get someone to play the music and sing for an hour jeez. Hire day laborers to be crew whatever. Diva going to Diva.

M564038

Re: Adele cancels day before first concert.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am

I can tell you have never set your foot anywhere in or near large concert production.
This is one of those things where there are no winners.

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow

I mean you didn’t know this until the day before your concert? With the prices of her tickets I think she could have put something together. I mean the people are already in town and don’t get the flight or hotel refunded. Get someone to play the music and sing for an hour jeez. Hire day laborers to be crew whatever. Diva going to Diva.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:30 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Get someone to play the music and sing for an hour jeez. Hire day laborers to be crew whatever.

Yeah guess what - major productions don’t do emergency measures of that type. Doing anything of the sort would be completely amateur and *that* is definitely not what people have paid to see. You make it sound like this is a park DJ or bar mitzvah party type deal :rotfl:

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:55 pm

M564038 wrote:
I can tell you have never set your foot anywhere in or near large concert production.

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow

This venue isn’t MSG, she must of known much earlier in the game there was an issue and could have done something at worst given more notice so her fans didn’t fly out here. I get the feeling this residency is going to be tricky at best. With the prices they are charging fans deserved better.

M564038

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Sorry, but you are simply clueless about this.
You can replace a drummer or a sax player here and there, but there always key crew that are VERY hard to replace, especially in the early days of a production, and there will always be a limit to how many stand ins you can have before stuff simply doesn’t work anymore.
There are both artistic and logistical balances to be kept here.

It is one of those businesses where you are never, ever sick. Not unless you are admitted to hospital or a singer having lost your voice.
The pandemic have forced people to act differently.

NIKV69 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow

This venue isn’t MSG, she must of known much earlier in the game there was an issue and could have done something at worst given more notice so her fans didn’t fly out here. I get the feeling this residency is going to be tricky at best. With the prices they are charging fans deserved better.

Aaron747

Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 am

NIKV69 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow

‘Could have done something’ - now there’s a problem solving plan if I have heard one!

stlgph

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:57 am

Virtual737

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:13 am

stlgph wrote:

Lol. That kind of humour is right up my street.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 am

stlgph wrote:

I love the photoshopped cup of coins lolol

Aaron747

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:01 am

stlgph wrote:

So well done. The Onion never stinks :D

c933103

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:34 am

NIKV69 wrote:

You think it would be easy to hire dayworkers just a day in advance? You can't even guarantee they can operate all the devices safely or not to broke them Not to mention when you identified spread among crew, other remaining crews and the singer themselves could also be infected but just haven't turned positive yet, and could start transmitting during the entire performance's length

Aaron747

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:13 am

c933103 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You think it would be easy to hire dayworkers just a day in advance? You can't even guarantee they can operate all the devices safely or not to broke them Not to mention when you identified spread among crew, other remaining crews and the singer themselves could also be infected but just haven't turned positive yet, and could start transmitting during the entire performance's length

Precisely, this is a complex production and operation with specified roles, not an amateur DJ and their buddy doing weekend side gigs.

santi319

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:17 pm

I would go easy on her, but she didn’t let her fans down gently. Rumors has it shes is rolling in the deep now…

M564038

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:21 pm

Everything is put on a few knobs and screens now, but it is not automated or simplified, only modalized, and the analog equivalent in use up until a few years ago had more than 10 times more buttons and controls than a 747 classic cockpit. Each of these needs to be in the correct position for any point of the show and there are no SOPs or manuals to follow.

I am talking about the Front-of-house engineer position and their consoles. Not something you just switch on the day.

In addition, on large shows, there actual legal matters. Hoisting lights, speakers, tons of equipment above the heads of audience and performers requires the correct people present signing off on the correct paperwork with legal obligations. This is not an airport with streamlined procedures repeated hundreds of times every day and back ups in every position. These are one offs with only a handful of correctly qualified people anywhere in the vicinity.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:27 am

The very first day they announced tickets, I registered for the maximum amount of dates which was 5 dates to see Adelle.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any and was put on a waitlist that went nowhere.

The big losers are going to be those that bought their tickets from someone else. They are only going to get a refund on the ticket price not what they paid to see her.

That said, There are so many stage performers, dancers, and costumes makers in Vegas, they should have been able to pull this off.

Aaron747

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 pm

Adele’s team did a great job according to CNN this morning - DMs to affected fans, with gift bags and a lottery sign in to join a video call with Adele where fans ended up telling her it was okay.

M564038

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:22 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
That said, There are so many stage performers, dancers, and costumes makers in Vegas, they should have been able to pull this off.

That’s like saying a bunch of carpenters and plumbers could design and build a 747 in 3 hours.
It is a Paw Patrol or Blaze & the monster machines-level understanding of how things work.

luckyone

Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:38 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Cool, how many would you suspect aren't employed and able to be sourced, trained, and put in a production in less than a week? Do you know whether they attempted to do that or not? Would you insure a production that had half of its team replaced in 72 hours?

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:19 pm

luckyone wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Cool, how many would you suspect aren't employed and able to be sourced, trained, and put in production in less than a week? Do you know whether they attempted to do that or not? Would you insure a production that had half of its team replaced in 72 hours?

I totally disagree, I live in Vegas, these shows are basically all the same, with the band or singers being different. There are so many stag props, lightning experts, and trained dancers that pick things up quickly. All one needs is Adele. Just like going to see Celine, I can't remember the dancers, I remember hearing her beautiful voice. Elton John when he was here, the show was basically on the screen while he sang. Here is the thing, with Adele people traveled from Europe to see her.

Maybe Adele expects perfection, I think her fans just want to hear her voice.

M564038

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:26 pm

That’s just not how it works at all, dear.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
luckyone wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Cool, how many would you suspect aren't employed and able to be sourced, trained, and put in production in less than a week? Do you know whether they attempted to do that or not? Would you insure a production that had half of its team replaced in 72 hours?

I totally disagree, I live in Vegas, these shows are basically all the same, with the band or singers being different. There are so many stag props, lightning experts, and trained dancers that pick things up quickly. All one needs is Adele. Just like going to see Celine, I can't remember the dancers, I remember hearing her beautiful voice. Elton John when he was here, the show was basically on the screen while he sang. Here is the thing, with Adele people traveled from Europe to see her.

pune

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:41 pm

M564038 wrote:
Everything is put on a few knobs and screens now, but it is not automated or simplified, only modalized, and the analog equivalent in use up until a few years ago had more than 10 times more buttons and controls than a 747 classic cockpit. Each of these needs to be in the correct position for any point of the show and there are no SOPs or manuals to follow.

I am talking about the Front-of-house engineer position and their consoles. Not something you just switch on the day.

In addition, on large shows, there actual legal matters. Hoisting lights, speakers, tons of equipment above the heads of audience and performers requires the correct people present signing off on the correct paperwork with legal obligations. This is not an airport with streamlined procedures repeated hundreds of times every day and back ups in every position. These are one offs with only a handful of correctly qualified people anywhere in the vicinity.

Years ago, I was part of few shows and I did see how the sound engineer took almost a day to set things right or what he was happy with. He also had stand-in strummers who would play and he could check the quality from different places and then the final check before the show commenses with the whole band. Sometimes, the musician would also say comment on what could be improved. So yeah, it is a pretty specialized skill.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:42 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

100% correct!

pune

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:46 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

100% correct!

At the risk of infecting her fans, who in their right mind will do something like that ??? And the questions about insurance haven't been answered. No entertainer would want to take liability of any shows. Most musicians don't earn enough, it is only ticket sales that sustain them and their crew and that is the reason you have insurers.

stlgph

Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

100% correct!

There is more that goes into these shows other than just showing up and hanging a few lights around. Until you've worked directly with one or in one, it's a massive, dedicated process and no, you can't just have someone show up and learn a couple of moves or a couple of chords on the guitar and fill right in.

There's a reason why if you look at the history of major tours or residencies you'll see why many of the musicians, dancers, production directors, choreographers, dressers, set and costume designers, crew members, etc. are the same. As you put it, they expect perfection - that's what they get out of their crews and that's what they want to deliver for their fans.

c933103

Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:42 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
luckyone wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

What you said mean "There is a large pool of specialized talents available". This is pretty different from expecting be able to hire any of them in a day and be capable of handling the performance safely, even if you ignore things like effects of the performance

pune

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:05 pm

c933103 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
luckyone wrote:

What you said to mean "There is a large pool of specialized talents available". This is pretty different from expecting to be able to hire any of them in a day and be capable of handling the performance safely, even if you ignore things like effects of the performance

Did anybody see the Michael Jackson History documentary, any of you? If anybody would have then they wouldn't have asked these questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaTtzOFSEMo

There is just so much unspoken stuff that goes between musicians and that is the reason why they practice a lot together. A slight nod, a slight shake is all the other person would need once he knows how the other behaves. It is intimate in many ways. So let's say even if you are the best of the best you would want to practice so you don't get it wrong. A note or something in the wrong order could change things. And the whole idea of a rock show or any musical show is to keep the momentum on the up and up. And you want the audience reacting and you reacting back to them, then it is a show, almost a dialogue between the two of you.

pune

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 pm

M564038

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:38 pm

This is just a quick run through on the sound side of things for a Roger Waters tour. It’s back in 2011, but the Adele show in 2022, my guess is the complexity is higher, not lower. Tours also tends to be less complex than stationary shows.
You don’t jump in to this with a few hours to spare. It would be insanity.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/tri ... d-tour?amp

This is a different beast than having a stand in FOH or rigging crew on a festival gig with a standard festival patch of the typical 70 headliner channels. Anyone could do that. Bob Dylan, Metallica or Paul McCartney on a summer festival circuit tour, no problem at all. Fun fact, back when I was around 20 , many years ago, I had to jump in a taxi and get to FOH at a club I was regularly working at because the Rolling Stones had decided to throw an impromptu, intimate friday night show together with their friend Eric Clapton who where also in town. I was ready at the console. Not nervous at all. Just another 6 piece rock combo on 24 channels on a great PA in a room I knew like my own pockets. I saw them ready back stage, it was all real until their security decided the audience were too drunk and too unsafe, and wooosh they were gone. Anyways. Anyone could have handled that.
But this isn’t like that. These shows are entirely different beasts, with extremely custom set-ups.

Did it even work properly when people had to call in sick?

Its like asking your regular 737 line pilot to suddenly do a Concorde flight without preparation. They wouldn’t do it.

stlgph

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:13 pm

The end of the day, there's always a calculated risk involved when you travel for a concert or a theater show with a major star.

And trust me, it sucks when you go somewhere and the show is cancelled. Been there, done that.

M564038

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:16 pm

It sucks even more to travel somewhere and have to cancel the show! No winners!

stlgph wrote:
The end of the day, there's always a calculated risk involved when you travel for a concert or a theater show with a major star.

And trust me, it sucks when you go somewhere and the show is cancelled. Been there, done that.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:36 am

Rut oh'

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/sta ... 16128?s=20

This guy is usually good with his info. Wonder what the heck is going on with her.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 am

c933103 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
luckyone wrote:

What you said mean "There is a large pool of specialized talents available". This is pretty different from expecting be able to hire any of them in a day and be capable of handling the performance safely, even if you ignore things like effects of the performance

Don't put words into my mouth. Adele saying We ain’t ready’ at the last minute doesn’t hold water.
I know how these shows work, Caesar's management watches over the productions, every step of the way, because it's an investment they have a lot of money to lose.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:31 am

M564038 wrote:
This is just a quick run through on the sound side of things for a Roger Waters tour. It’s back in 2011, but the Adele show in 2022, my guess is the complexity is higher, not lower. Tours also tends to be less complex than stationary shows.

This is a different beast than having a stand in FOH or rigging crew on a festival gig with a standard festival patch of the typical 70 headliner channels. Anyone could do that. Bob Dylan, Metallica or Paul McCartney on a summer festival circuit tour, no problem at all. Fun fact, back when I was around 20 , many years ago, I had to jump in a taxi and get to FOH at a club I was regularly working at because the Rolling Stones had decided to throw an impromptu, intimate friday night show together with their friend Eric Clapton who where also in town. I was ready at the console. Not nervous at all. Just another 6 piece rock combo on 24 channels on a great PA in a room I knew like my own pockets. I saw them ready back stage, it was all real until their security decided the audience were too drunk and too unsafe, and wooosh they were gone. Anyways. Anyone could have handled that.
But this isn’t like that. These shows are entirely different beasts, with extremely custom set-ups.

Its like asking your regular 737 line pilot to suddenly do a Concorde flight without preparation. They wouldn’t do it.
Adele had a cast of 60 ready to perform. So it's really not like having one 737 pilot calling in sick when you have 60 pilots on ready reserve to take their place who are trained to fly 737. No, something else is going on with Adele and Caesar's management.

M564038

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:27 pm

You have 60 baggage handlers, security people, cabin crew, and yes, a few checked out 737 pilots.
But the aircraft is a Concorde and you haven’t got anyone to fly it.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Adele had a cast of 60 ready to perform. So it's really not like having one 737 pilot calling in sick when you have 60 pilots on ready reserve to take their place who are trained to fly 737. No, something else is going on with Adele and Caesar's management.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Go Go's cancel their two shows in February. I see a pattern developing.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/sta ... 84672?s=20

Clutch101

Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Go Go's cancel their two shows in February. I see a pattern developing.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/sta ... 84672?s=20

Shows get canceled all the time. What kind of pattern do you see as I don't see one at all.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Wow, bombshells falling today.

https://pagesix.com/2022/01/25/adele-co ... t-sobbing/

https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/25/adele-sh ... residency/

As I said if Covid was an issue I don't think it would have been a last second cancellation.

Wonder if this debacle has anything to do with this.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/sta ... 68034?s=20

I am getting the idea this whole residency is doomed and it has nothing to do with Covid.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow, bombshells falling today.

https://pagesix.com/2022/01/25/adele-co ... t-sobbing/

https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/25/adele-sh ... residency/

As I said if Covid was an issue I don't think it would have been a last second cancellation.

Wonder if this debacle has anything to do with this.

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/sta ... 68034?s=20

I am getting the idea this whole residency is doomed and it has nothing to do with Covid.

Much more to the story, as you say. Sounds like from the outset Adele and CP were not on the same page about what would be staged.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Much more to the story, as you say. Sounds like from the outset Adele and CP were not on the same page about what would be staged.

Or the pool. Such a Diva

https://pagesix.com/2022/01/25/adele-po ... nt-report/

Aaron747

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Or the pool. Such a Diva

https://pagesix.com/2022/01/25/adele-po ... nt-report/

Fixating on one incident is what the tabloids do. Any HR person knows there's much more going on. Other acts are cancelling too, so someone is screwing the pooch on the CP end too.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Fixating on one incident is what the tabloids do. Any HR person knows there's much more going on. Other acts are cancelling too, so someone is screwing the pooch on the CP end too.

What other acts? Celine did back months ago due to medical reasons I don't know of others.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:24 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

What other acts? Celine did back months ago due to medical reasons I don't know of others.

LOL you just posted some upthread...unless you're referring to only at CP.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 am

Aaron747 wrote:

I made the reference to the Go Go's canceling the Venetian because that was for Covid because Adele wasn't exposed yet for lying about her situation being Covid. So now since now she is blaming the Venue she is at yes.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I made the reference to the Go Go's canceling the Venetian because that was for Covid because Adele wasn't exposed yet for lying about her situation being Covid. So now since now she is blaming the Venue she is at yes.

This is a capitalist country - standard PR practice is to tell the person at the top (or the talent) to hide the depth of what’s really going on. Everyone knows that.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
This is a capitalist country - standard PR practice is to tell the person at the top (or the talent) to hide the depth of what’s really going on. Everyone knows that.

Maybe 20 years ago that could have worked but with the TMZs of the world and social media now that is impossible, also charging the highest ticket prices and not delivering is not good PR it's bad PR.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:58 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Maybe 20 years ago that could have worked but with the TMZs of the world and social media now that is impossible, also charging the highest ticket prices and not delivering is not good PR it's bad PR.

Look around dude - this is being practiced every day, regardless of how fast information comes out. Deny, deny, deny, downplay, downplay, downplay. 99% of the time those are the marching orders.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:19 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Look around dude - this is being practiced every day, regardless of how fast information comes out. Deny, deny, deny, downplay, downplay, downplay. 99% of the time those are the marching orders.

I live in Clark county Nevada dude, the world capital of squashing things that would be media negative. Not many other cities could hide jumpers like this town but still doesn't change the situation. I thought she was different from the other Divas but I guess not. I have no skin in the game I would never pay that money for anyone and I love her music.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Of course
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... James.html

This entitled Diva should pay all her fans flight and hotel costs that were in town for that show.

M564038

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:32 pm

If you knew the number of people we have lost in show business because themselves or others have insisted of them being on stage when they should have called in sick, you would never make such a statement.

NIKV69 wrote:
Of course
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... James.html

This entitled Diva should pay all her fans flight and hotel costs that were in town for that show.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:24 am

M564038 wrote:
If you knew the number of people we have lost in show business because themselves or others have insisted of them being on stage when they should have called in sick, you would never make such a statement.

Not saying CP should have insisted she perform but to lie and use the Covid excuse and then wrongfully blame the venue was bad. You need a personal time out that is fine but you signed a huge deal and your ticket prices are insane so you have some responsibility.