Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

China Railways rolled out new layout for its high speed sleeper trains

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Y_2M7dJxWcBEjywMn9m8Ig
Image in the article
The berths are lined vertically along the train, with staggered inner and outer columns, in addition to having two layer of beds.
They claim they took inspiration of the design from aircraft business class.
But I'm wobdering can such design be adopted back onto aircraft for more efficient use of space while providing lie-flat beds for passengers?

pune

Re: China Railways rolled out new layout for its high speed sleeper trains

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 pm

c933103 wrote:
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Y_2M7dJxWcBEjywMn9m8Ig
Image in the article
The berths are lined vertically along the train, with staggered inner and outer columns, in addition to having two layer of beds.
They claim they took inspiration of the design from aircraft business class.
But I'm wobdering can such a design be adopted back onto aircraft for more efficient use of space while providing lie-flat beds for passengers?

That actually looks quite comfortable, only those who are 6 foot something would probably have issues. For the rest of us, it is good enough. There have been more than enough designs for lie-flat beds, in fact one design was similar to the one shared above but no airliner wanted it. It perhaps might be due to the idea that if was readily available, it would become a commodity thing rather than a premium product lie-flat beds are supposed to be. And of course, in the current scenario due to the pandemic, don't think most airlines would want to take any chance to do any retrofitting of any plane. A new one might but it would be bold and risky. This question should ideally have been asked in civil aviation.

alex0easy

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 pm

No, not new. These vertical CRH2Es were manufactured in 2017. Three of these trainsets were made.
From 2017 to 2019 they were used on the Beijing-Shanghai route, however that train traveled along the upgraded conventional line, which limited their speed to 160km/h.
From 2019 to 2021 they were used on the Beijing-Kunming route, a much longer route that uses the PDLs (passenger dedicated lines, or high-speed rail if you prefer), which allowed the trainset to reach their design speed of 250km/h. I've travelled on this route. It was quite nice.
They have just been reassigned on the Beijing-Shenzhen route, which also uses the PDL.
I guess CR is just trying to find a route that makes more profit.

pune

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 pm

alex0easy wrote:
No, not new. These vertical CRH2Es were manufactured in 2017. Three of these trainsets were made.
From 2017 to 2019 they were used on the Beijing-Shanghai route, however that train traveled along the upgraded conventional line, which limited their speed to 160km/h.
From 2019 to 2021 they were used on the Beijing-Kunming route, a much longer route that uses the PDLs (passenger dedicated lines, or high-speed rail if you prefer), which allowed the trainset to reach their design speed of 250km/h. I've travelled on this route. It was quite nice.
They have just been reassigned on the Beijing-Shenzhen route, which also uses the PDL.
I guess CR is just trying to find a route that makes more profit.

Nice :)

sierrakilo44

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:16 pm

As a frequent leisure traveler and user of sleeper trains I'd pick those hands down everytime instead of a flight/hotel combo. Kill two birds with one stone. The slower sleeper trains were even soothing after you got used to them, falling asleep to the clickety clack of the rails. The HSR sleepers would be far quieter though.

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
As a frequent leisure traveler and user of sleeper trains I'd pick those hands down everytime instead of a flight/hotel combo. Kill two birds with one stone. The slower sleeper trains were even soothing after you got used to them, falling asleep to the clickety clack of the rails. The HSR sleepers would be far quieter though.

A lot of sleeper trains now are very silent inside in comparison to the old days. Quite impressive.

These Chinese trains look a bit like the Japanese sleeper trains with the little sleeping capsules. I think it’s a nicer arrangement than those older style trains with multiple people to a single cabin.

wingman

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:44 pm

I prefer the excitement of Amtrak - the clackety-lack of 19th Century rail ties, the uncertainty that your train will show up on time, or show up at all. Then there's the question of arriving on time, will I make my meeting? Ultimately though, the kernel of thought "will this train derail and kill me?", that's the true wonder of rail travel to me. It's about taking that risk and coming through to your destination unscathed that makes Amtrak unique. Those fancy trains doing 400 mph in total silence are for the weak-minded.