Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
User avatar
alberchico
Topic Author
Posts: 3623
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:26 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60144505

Just breaking now. Shame that it won't affect the balance of the court.
 
dmg626
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:07 pm

Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 15002
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:16 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


It's what he promised in the debates so he has no choice now. I guess they learned after RBG wouldn't step down staring a huge election loss that they don't want another disaster so with the Senate in doubt it's time to replace Breyer. My money on Biden's nominee is Kiesha Lance Bottoms. She shocked everyone not running for 2nd term in Atlanta. Hmmmm.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:21 pm

The replacement will come from a list, and the Senate will have to confirm. However since the previous president only had a pool of "pure" groomed conservatives, I would love to see how the GOP reacts to truly qualified individuals.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4361
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:22 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


If I am Biden, tell him to retire now.

He has a window now and has a good chance at getting a least a moderate justice confirmed. You do this later in the year and there are any holdups, you might not get a chance. He is likely to lose control of the senate in November and McConell will hold up a confirmation like he did in 2016.

I don't think Manchin an Sinema will hold up a justice unless its one who thinks cops shouldn't exist.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 15002
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
If I am Biden, tell him to retire now.

He has a window now and has a good chance at getting a least a moderate justice confirmed. You do this later in the year and there are any holdups, you might not get a chance. He is likely to lose control of the senate in November and McConell will hold up a confirmation like he did in 2016.

I don't think Manchin an Sinema will hold up a justice unless its one who thinks cops shouldn't exist.


I believe Breyer has said he won't leave till his replacement is seated.
 
87GROUNDED
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:16 pm

People are already clamoring for Michelle Obama.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8483
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.
 
Newark727
Posts: 2889
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:35 pm

fr8mech wrote:
So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.


Spare the theatrics. If you don't think every single justice currently seated isn't there for "political reasons," I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:36 pm

fr8mech wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.


Why are you disgusted. Where you disgusted when the last three nominees went up? The ones that had to tick all the check boxes on a white nationalist approval box?
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4361
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 pm

fr8mech wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.


I agree, get the most rational and qualified individual and who cares what the skin colour or gender of the justice is.
Biden picked an African American woman as VP. She happens to be the most unpopular VP in modern history and from the 2020 campaign it was known that Kamala Harris was heavily disliked. He could have picked many other VP's that had equivalent resumes and were much more likable.
 
SoCalPilot
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:10 pm

casinterest wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.


Why are you disgusted. Where you disgusted when the last three nominees went up? The ones that had to tick all the check boxes on a white nationalist approval box?

So I'm confused, are you saying that choosing based on race is ok or not?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.


Why are you disgusted. Where you disgusted when the last three nominees went up? The ones that had to tick all the check boxes on a white nationalist approval box?

So I'm confused, are you saying that choosing based on race is ok or not?


Not race, predetermined political criteria. There’s a difference - conservatives just knee-jerk react to such criteria if they have a demographic component.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8483
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:07 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
So I'm confused, are you saying that choosing based on race is ok or not?


Of course they're saying it's ok to use race as a metric to choose someone for just about anything...unless of course the race you choose is White, though that really depends on the intersectionality of this White person's other traits.

Aaron747 wrote:
Not race, predetermined political criteria.


"Political criteria"? Just a fancy, or politically expedient, way of using class or race or sexual or gender politics to justify bigotry.

Honestly, what would have been the reaction if Biden had said he wanted to nominate a white male, all other things being equal?
 
ltbewr
Posts: 16147
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 am

In early 2020, then Joe Biden in a public debate of top Democrats running in primaries for the Presidential party nomination made a statement, influenced by leaders of the Black Congressional (Democratic party exclusively) Caucasus to state if got the opportunity to nominate someone to the US Supreme Court it was to be a Black Woman. This was to appeal/appease the critical Black voters the Democrats needed to win, to recognize the growing protests of excessive use of force and unnecessary deaths by police disproportionately upon Black and Brown skinned persons, to help attempt to keep or expand the position of 'liberals' on the court and to offset what many saw as a balance of Justice Thomas, who is Black, but often decided against Black interests.

I hope the nominee will be someone who went to a top State Law School, not Harvard/Yale U's, is from a part of the country that is underrepresented, is not a Catholic or better yet, not particularly religious at all and will not be from either a corporate law firm or a criminal prosecutor background. Those on the left will have their litmus test of being pro Roe v. Wade, pro-GLTBQ rights, support voting, Woman's and civil rights. The retiring Justice Breyer is a moderate, left center leaning, flexible to compromise, consensus building justice. He will continue his health willing to the end of the current term of the Court at the end of June when a number of critical and major decisions of the court will be handed down, especially as to the power of states as to regulate or even ban legal abortion. Sadly I suspect the confirmation process for the nominee will be a real filthy mud flinging show by the Republicans.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:28 am

fr8mech wrote:
"Political criteria"? Just a fancy, or politically expedient, way of using class or race or sexual or gender politics to justify bigotry.


Bigotry requires malicious intent - there is no evidence that is the case here. The fact that demographic goals are politically useful or expedient is not in dispute - each political entity in the country makes use of that in different ways.

Your reaction seems to be a blanket response to affirmative action - and in the private employment marketplace, I agree quotas are a big negative. But courts and government are different, and bodies serving the people should reflect the country's demographics to ensure effectiveness and cohesion. There are a lot of qualified people who can serve in that capacity, whether white or any other needed demographic, so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.

fr8mech wrote:
Honestly, what would have been the reaction if Biden had said he wanted to nominate a white male, all other things being equal?


It would be emotional and irrational. The reaction from the extremes on either side is always hyperemotional. That's how they oxygenate. The nuanced and rational response is 'Why is this being proposed? What is the possible/proposed benefit to the court or nation?'
 
stlgph
Posts: 11658
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 am

well, guess the "great resignation" isn't a myth!
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8483
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:
so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.


I can agree with that, but based on Biden's promise, it is a foregone conclusion what ethnicity and sex he will choose to nominate. And, that's wrong. He is unnecessarily limiting his pool of applicants. Are we going to see a pool of qualified Black women...only qualified Black women? Or, will we see a pool qualified jurists that includes Black women?

Aaron747 wrote:
Bigotry requires malicious intent


That's horse dung and you know it. There's plenty of folks on this forum, right now, that consider me a bigot simply because I brought this up.

As I've told my children many times, perception is reality when dealing with the public.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 am

fr8mech wrote:
That's horse dung and you know it. There's plenty of folks on this forum, right now, that consider me a bigot simply because I brought this up.

As I've told my children many times, perception is reality when dealing with the public.


It really isn’t - people may feel a variety of ways but that doesn’t change a definition. If people call you a bigot based on the concerns expressed here, they need to look up the word again.

As a matter of policy, to aim to select a particular demographic may or may not be bigotry, depending on whether the aim is to intentionally harm another demographic. I don’t see any evidence that is the WH’s intent.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:23 am

Any chance they could propose the best person for the position, regardless of race, sexuality, disability, perception or all the other things that seem to be more important nowadays.

Answer: No.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:56 am

A friendly reminder to provide a link to a source when stating facts, thanks.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 15002
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:20 am

fr8mech wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.


I can agree with that, but based on Biden's promise, it is a foregone conclusion what ethnicity and sex he will choose to nominate. And, that's wrong. He is unnecessarily limiting his pool of applicants. Are we going to see a pool of qualified Black women...only qualified Black women? Or, will we see a pool qualified jurists that includes Black women?

Aaron747 wrote:
Bigotry requires malicious intent


That's horse dung and you know it. There's plenty of folks on this forum, right now, that consider me a bigot simply because I brought this up.

As I've told my children many times, perception is reality when dealing with the public.


Picking SC justices like most of what goes on in DC has become politicized greatly. Don't forget Biden was just about done in the primaries and if it wasn't for Clyburn and the Black caucus Bernie or Pete B would have won. As payback IMO he was instructed to promise a Black female SC justice and now he will do that as he stated in the debate. As for qualified Black females there are plenty.
 
CometII
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 6:02 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.


I can agree with that, but based on Biden's promise, it is a foregone conclusion what ethnicity and sex he will choose to nominate. And, that's wrong. He is unnecessarily limiting his pool of applicants. Are we going to see a pool of qualified Black women...only qualified Black women? Or, will we see a pool qualified jurists that includes Black women?

Aaron747 wrote:
Bigotry requires malicious intent


That's horse dung and you know it. There's plenty of folks on this forum, right now, that consider me a bigot simply because I brought this up.

As I've told my children many times, perception is reality when dealing with the public.


Picking SC justices like most of what goes on in DC has become politicized greatly. Don't forget Biden was just about done in the primaries and if it wasn't for Clyburn and the Black caucus Bernie or Pete B would have won. As payback IMO he was instructed to promise a Black female SC justice and now he will do that as he stated in the debate. As for qualified Black females there are plenty.


This. While regrettable, the degree of politicization of the American institutions is a wide open secret, no matter how propaganda still tries to impress upon the rest of the world some type of exceptionalism in government that clearly doesn't exist today.

While it is possible there are better qualified individuals overall, as NIKV69 said there are individuals within the target group who are qualified enough and experienced enough to handle the duties competently and adroitly.

Mitch McConnell will hopefully go into historical infamy as the man who saw the polarization of DC and instead of trying to blunt it, he pressed full ahead with the destruction of the last bastion that held any level of decorum above party politics, namely judge nominations. Because of his unconstitutional arrogating to the point he is on record stating that vacancies should not be filled as far as two years before an election, he has forced the justifies themselves to get politicized into when and how they should step aside, playing a timing game that is terrible for long term stability of the court.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3987
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am

Aaron747 wrote:
There are a lot of qualified people who can serve in that capacity, whether white or any other needed demographic, so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.

Are you saying Kamala Harris isn't the most qualified person to be the President should something happen to Joe?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
There are a lot of qualified people who can serve in that capacity, whether white or any other needed demographic, so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.

Are you saying Kamala Harris isn't the most qualified person to be the President should something happen to Joe?


Irrelevant, because the executive line of succession is predetermined. This topic is about posts that are up for competition.

Harris is hardly worth highlighting anyway when we've already been exposed to the idiot likes of Dan Quayle and VP-to-bes Edwards and Palin.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 pm

alberchico wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60144505

Just breaking now. Shame that it won't affect the balance of the court.


It's a pity RBG hadn't been so arrogant and retired when Obama was in office. Good on this guy for making the right move.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Why are you disgusted. Where you disgusted when the last three nominees went up? The ones that had to tick all the check boxes on a white nationalist approval box?

So I'm confused, are you saying that choosing based on race is ok or not?


Not race, predetermined political criteria. There’s a difference - conservatives just knee-jerk react to such criteria if they have a demographic component.



It is a reaction to very non inclusive choices over the past three justices. Three justices were chosen from a predetermined list, and in a world where the population of the US is approaching 50% minority, it was a very poor candidate list. The last 3 judicial choices have created an imbalance in court representation that seems to affirm the reasons for affirmative action and enhances the argument for CRT. A choice that provides a qualified candidate as well as minority is long overdue by chance, statistics and qualifications. That the White House recognizes this is great. From what I have seen there are many available qualified candidates that will in theory fit the bill. Biden will meet with them and determine his best choice forward. I look forward to the process and the qualifications.

The resulting political and racial undertones will be interesting to watch, and I think that this choice is spectacular in highlighting the short fallings of the current political tones in regards to CRT and affirmative action. It will also put the GOP Senate on the spot as they easily allowed very questionable candidates through on party line votes.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4361
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:32 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
alberchico wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60144505

Just breaking now. Shame that it won't affect the balance of the court.


It's a pity RBG hadn't been so arrogant and retired when Obama was in office. Good on this guy for making the right move.


She would have had to retire pre the 2014 midterms for Obama to get a shot at seating her replacement, that is when Obama still had the senate.
The GOP would have held up the seat right after being seated after the 2014 midterms.

They will do the same until 2024 if they win the senate back and no justice is seated by the end of this year.

NIKV69 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.


I can agree with that, but based on Biden's promise, it is a foregone conclusion what ethnicity and sex he will choose to nominate. And, that's wrong. He is unnecessarily limiting his pool of applicants. Are we going to see a pool of qualified Black women...only qualified Black women? Or, will we see a pool qualified jurists that includes Black women?

Aaron747 wrote:
Bigotry requires malicious intent


That's horse dung and you know it. There's plenty of folks on this forum, right now, that consider me a bigot simply because I brought this up.

As I've told my children many times, perception is reality when dealing with the public.


Picking SC justices like most of what goes on in DC has become politicized greatly. Don't forget Biden was just about done in the primaries and if it wasn't for Clyburn and the Black caucus Bernie or Pete B would have won. As payback IMO he was instructed to promise a Black female SC justice and now he will do that as he stated in the debate. As for qualified Black females there are plenty.


Not just that. Warren, Pete and I think Yang dropped out at the precise time to allow Biden to win primaries directly against Bernie. Had Pete and Warren stayed in then Bernie would have been the presumptive nominee with a plurality of delegates. It would have created a nasty convention but without Super Delegates Bernie would have been the nominee more than likely.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11836
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:46 pm

For over a century race never was mentioned becasue it never needed to be mentioned as the ONLY qualified person, the only kind of person that would even be thought as possible to consider, was a white man.

It wasn't a wide open "who's best for the job". There was as simple narrow criteria that all nominees first had to meet "White" and "Male".

That fact that so many now choose to ignore that is just silly.

Do I agree with stating such things a "i will only consider...", no I don't. Do I agree with race or sex based quota's for hiring or admittance to schools etc? No, I don't. But I get why right now these things are being discussed and looked at when looking at how to create a Court that represents "The People".

I don't get why so many people insist on being blind to reality, intentionally naive.

Tugg
 
ItnStln
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:59 pm

fr8mech wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.

Could you imagine the riots and looting that would take place if a POTUS said they will appoint a straight white male to SCOTUS? It should be about qualifications and not demographics.
 
ItnStln
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:00 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Honestly, what would have been the reaction if Biden had said he wanted to nominate a white male, all other things being equal?

I assume you already know what would happen in that case.
 
ItnStln
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:02 pm

ltbewr wrote:
In early 2020, then Joe Biden in a public debate of top Democrats running in primaries for the Presidential party nomination made a statement, influenced by leaders of the Black Congressional (Democratic party exclusively) Caucasus to state if got the opportunity to nominate someone to the US Supreme Court it was to be a Black Woman. This was to appeal/appease the critical Black voters the Democrats needed to win

Thank you for admitting that this nomination is nothing more than pandering and identity politics.
 
ItnStln
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:03 pm

fr8mech wrote:
I can agree with that, but based on Biden's promise, it is a foregone conclusion what ethnicity and sex he will choose to nominate. And, that's wrong. He is unnecessarily limiting his pool of applicants. Are we going to see a pool of qualified Black women...only qualified Black women? Or, will we see a pool qualified jurists that includes Black women?

Indeed, to only have a pool of black women is racist. It is nothing more than biden pandering to black voters and identity politics.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11836
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:06 pm

ItnStln wrote:
Thank you for admitting that this nomination is nothing more than pandering and identity politics.

Like every SC nominee for the first century plus of our nation?

Tugg
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:18 pm

ItnStln wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Good! Replacement will be a black female, news already saying that’s what administration wants. Maybe points for any extra letters used to describe her.


So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.

Could you imagine the riots and looting that would take place if a POTUS said they will appoint a straight white male to SCOTUS? It should be about qualifications and not demographics.


Anyone with a long and established judicial and/or legal academic record is qualified. Within that rather large cohort, you can then start looking at demographics for candidates to ensure the SCOTUS retains legitimacy with the people through at least a modicum of representation. As I indicated with the 'knee jerk' comment earlier, some really just seem to like saying 'looting and rioting' for the hell of it. :boggled:
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

So, everyone is kinda ok with this? What if a president said he would only nominate a white female? Or, a black male? Or a Hispanic, transgendered person? How about an gay, white male? We’re all ok with limiting the pool of potential Supreme Court justices for political reasons?

Disgusting. The most qualified person who can get through the nomination and confirmation process should be the next Supreme Court justice, not a check mark.

Could you imagine the riots and looting that would take place if a POTUS said they will appoint a straight white male to SCOTUS? It should be about qualifications and not demographics.


Anyone with a long and established judicial and/or legal academic record is qualified. Within that rather large cohort, you can then start looking at demographics for candidates to ensure the SCOTUS retains legitimacy with the people through at least a modicum of representation.



I saw no screaming from the GOP as the Candidates Trump rolled out where white and continued to be white, and didn't represent any semblance of diversity.
The bench needs more women, and it needs diversity. America isn't a Conservative Religious sharia country.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:33 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
Could you imagine the riots and looting that would take place if a POTUS said they will appoint a straight white male to SCOTUS? It should be about qualifications and not demographics.


Anyone with a long and established judicial and/or legal academic record is qualified. Within that rather large cohort, you can then start looking at demographics for candidates to ensure the SCOTUS retains legitimacy with the people through at least a modicum of representation.



I saw no screaming from the GOP as the Candidates Trump rolled out where white and continued to be white, and didn't represent any semblance of diversity.
The bench needs more women, and it needs diversity. America isn't a Conservative Religious sharia country.


Exactly...women reached parity with men in law schools about 15 years ago and have exceeded men in law school enrollment (and graduation) the last six years.

https://www.enjuris.com/students/law-sc ... -2020.html

Nevertheless the industry has changed slowly and women are still way under on pay and promotions in the field.

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2021 ... 0027103122

At least four or five justices should be women, given the population of the country. Imagine how motivating that will be for the up and comers fighting those norms today.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4361
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
There are a lot of qualified people who can serve in that capacity, whether white or any other needed demographic, so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.

Are you saying Kamala Harris isn't the most qualified person to be the President should something happen to Joe?


Kamala might have been an prosecutor and a senator but based on my judgement which I know means nothing. If Biden was not able to continue as president I would have much more faith it Pete to take over the job. He has served in the armed forces and does have some degree of executive experience and at least to me seems to be more of a critical thinker and can pivot when information changes. Again my observation.

He is also in a discriminated class being a gay man.

Tugger wrote:
For over a century race never was mentioned becasue it never needed to be mentioned as the ONLY qualified person, the only kind of person that would even be thought as possible to consider, was a white man.

It wasn't a wide open "who's best for the job". There was as simple narrow criteria that all nominees first had to meet "White" and "Male".

That fact that so many now choose to ignore that is just silly.

Do I agree with stating such things a "i will only consider...", no I don't. Do I agree with race or sex based quota's for hiring or admittance to schools etc? No, I don't. But I get why right now these things are being discussed and looked at when looking at how to create a Court that represents "The People".

I don't get why so many people insist on being blind to reality, intentionally naive.

Tugg


I like the Chris Rock approach to this.

I don't think that I should get a job, get into school if a white person is more qualified you are more qualified, but if its a tie too bad. You had a 400 year head start.
The actual bit has a bit more swearing :bouncy: :bouncy:
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Kamala might have been an prosecutor and a senator but based on my judgement which I know means nothing. If Biden was not able to continue as president I would have much more faith it Pete to take over the job. He has served in the armed forces and does have some degree of executive experience and at least to me seems to be more of a critical thinker and can pivot when information changes. Again my observation.


She has executive experience, at least on par with Pete's, as California AG for six years. The California DOJ has 3400 employees and a budget of over $1 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californi ... of_Justice
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 pm

Why is the right so offended by the courts and government looking like the United States in the 21st Century? Republicans are whining and complaining there are too many minorities in positions of power.
 
FlapOperator
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 pm

seb146 wrote:
Why is the right so offended by the courts and government looking like the United States in the 21st Century? Republicans are whining and complaining there are too many minorities in positions of power.


At what point are wild accusations of racism outside the realm of the "politics of civility?"

Or, was HRC correct when she categorized 25% of the United States as "basket of deplorables?"
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:00 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Why is the right so offended by the courts and government looking like the United States in the 21st Century? Republicans are whining and complaining there are too many minorities in positions of power.


At what point are wild accusations of racism outside the realm of the "politics of civility?"

Or, was HRC correct when she categorized 25% of the United States as "basket of deplorables?"


Any time a Democrat, who happens to be a minority, is elected, or any time a minority is nominated by a Democrat, the cries of "race bating" and "wokeness" start from the right. I am just wondering why Republicans don't want government to look like Americans?

There are Black women in this country who vote and pay taxes. Why not let one experienced one rule on cases? Why does it only have to be White men?
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 9079
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:20 pm

Wait a minute, didn't Trump vow to nominate a woman to the Supreme Court a few years ago? While more broad than "black woman," isn't that the same thing?

Of course, one could argue those are both wrong, but I don't remember hearing any outrage at all a few years back


I do imagine it could get a little ridiculous if every future pick is vetted to equal the make-up of America ("ok, now we need an LGBT, and Asian, oh here is a random gay Asian lawyer") but in broad strokes, I can see the importance of different demographics being represented (IF that person is well qualified).

I think that was the main criticism against the VP. Poor performance in the primaries, somewhat unpopular, etc but being picked as a diversity hire (I'm not saying this, I honestly haven't payed attention to her or politics much lately, but that's just the argument). As long as Biden picks someone well qualified, I think it will be just fine.

I do think it would've been a way better option to have a diverse list, including a bunch of black women, and just settled on a black woman. Maybe that wouldn't be fooling anyone, but it would at least shoot down some of the drama
 
afcjets
Posts: 3987
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:25 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
There are a lot of qualified people who can serve in that capacity, whether white or any other needed demographic, so highly-visible government posts are not simply about 'the best qualified individual'.

Are you saying Kamala Harris isn't the most qualified person to be the President should something happen to Joe?


Irrelevant, because the executive line of succession is predetermined. This topic is about posts that are up for competition.

Harris is hardly worth highlighting anyway when we've already been exposed to the idiot likes of Dan Quayle and VP-to-bes Edwards and Palin.


It's totally relevant, once again Joe promises to make both race and gender mandatory, and eliminates the vast majority of the candidates. It is also demeaning to qualified black women because people would know why she was chosen.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:26 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Wait a minute, didn't Trump vow to nominate a woman to the Supreme Court a few years ago? While more broad than "black woman," isn't that the same thing?

Of course, one could argue those are both wrong, but I don't remember hearing any outrage at all a few years back


I do imagine it could get a little ridiculous if every future pick is vetted to equal the make-up of America ("ok, now we need an LGBT, and Asian, oh here is a random gay Asian lawyer") but in broad strokes, I can see the importance of different demographics being represented (IF that person is well qualified).

I think that was the main criticism against the VP. Poor performance in the primaries, somewhat unpopular, etc but being picked as a diversity hire (I'm not saying this, I honestly haven't payed attention to her or politics much lately, but that's just the argument). As long as Biden picks someone well qualified, I think it will be just fine.

I do think it would've been a way better option to have a diverse list, including a bunch of black women, and just settled on a black woman. Maybe that wouldn't be fooling anyone, but it would at least shoot down some of the drama



Drama is part of the program. It is an election year. CRT and affirmative action are on the docket for battleground districts and states.
 
wirkey
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 pm

Just for fun watching the total meltdown of the entire internet I'd love if he picked Michelle Obama. I would really need a lot of popcorn for that.

And btw: there is no such person as THE Best. There is only one that fits best.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17848
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Are you saying Kamala Harris isn't the most qualified person to be the President should something happen to Joe?


Irrelevant, because the executive line of succession is predetermined. This topic is about posts that are up for competition.

Harris is hardly worth highlighting anyway when we've already been exposed to the idiot likes of Dan Quayle and VP-to-bes Edwards and Palin.


It's totally relevant, once again Joe promises to make both race and gender mandatory, and eliminates the vast majority of the candidates. It is also demeaning to qualified black women because people would know why she was chosen.


The difference between SCOTUS and VP candidacy was already spelled out, plus you switched context from being ill-prepared to take over when Biden dies to ‘demeaning qualified black women’. That’s an F on any quiz in critical thinking 101.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm

The Administration just threw some shade on the GOP over the new court pick.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... cotus-pick

"We have not mentioned a single name. We have not put out a list. The president made very, very clear he has not made a selection," Psaki said. "If anyone is saying they plan to characterize whoever he nominates after thorough consideration with both parties as 'radical' before they knew literally anything about who she is, they just obliterated their own credibility."



Psaki later was asked about comments from some conservatives, like Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), that Biden's pledge to nominate a Black woman amounted to an affirmative action selection.

She pushed back on the idea, noting former President Reagan had nominated the first woman to serve on the court in Sandra Day O'Connor and said doing so symbolized "the richness of opportunity that still abides in America" for individuals of any age, sex, or race.

Good points by the White House, and i do think it is long overdue to actually look towards inclusion on a 9 member court that is supposed to serve ALL Citizens.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 2336
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Are you saying Kamala Harris isn't the most qualified person to be the President should something happen to Joe?


Irrelevant, because the executive line of succession is predetermined. This topic is about posts that are up for competition.

Harris is hardly worth highlighting anyway when we've already been exposed to the idiot likes of Dan Quayle and VP-to-bes Edwards and Palin.


It's totally relevant, once again Joe promises to make both race and gender mandatory, and eliminates the vast majority of the candidates. It is also demeaning to qualified black women because people would know why she was chosen.


I'm loving some of the commentary on this one, especially given the WH statement that no list has been made.

From what I can see the most recent GOP appointee, Amy Coney Barrett, in order of characteristics applicable to the choice was:
1. conservative politically
2. female
3. conservative religiously
4. legally qualified
5. conservative judicially
6. had briefly served on a higher bench.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 15002
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: US Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:11 am

seb146 wrote:
Why is the right so offended by the courts and government looking like the United States in the 21st Century? Republicans are whining and complaining there are too many minorities in positions of power.


Where? Sources please. The above sounds like something you want to be true. All I have seen is a user in this thread saying the job should go to the most qualified. I also as have not seen any GOP member whining about too many minorities in power. Unless you have a source?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Newark727 and 32 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos