Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pune
Topic Author

UK pupils failed by schools’ teaching of climate crisis, experts say

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 pm

Somebody on this forum was saying about the climate crisis being overblown or something similar to that, or whatever belief system they have about it. Just saw this -

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... xperts-say

I think the article is bang on as it tells about the issues both students and teachers face as well as the corporate interests that are at play.

Reinhardt

Re: UK pupils failed by schools’ teaching of climate crisis, experts say

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:43 pm

When I was at school in the UK (a few decades ago now), I found it incredibly slow to react to new teaching methods, covering new and upcoming topics. We were using massively outdated textbooks, outdated methodology. At the same time there was never any teaching about the about work, about finances, companies, about being a good citizen, government, voting etc.

Saying that, it does surprise me what is written in that article. I did A level Geography and climate change was an important part of it at the time. As was the greenhouse effect. It was also covered (not in great detail at the time but this was the 90's) in GSCE Science. I would have thought considering this day and age, with what we know and purely from what I've seen on TV documentaries about schools these days that I would by default expected it to be covered in great detail.

But then again it seems every new government has their minds set on reforming education and changing what is important for kids to learn, so again no surprise that in this day and age with this government, I could easily see classics, Latin and Empire being more important to be taught than climate science.

pune
Topic Author

Re: UK pupils failed by schools’ teaching of climate crisis, experts say

Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:13 am

It's very much the same change in India. Most universities in India have closed down humanities, classical western literature and whatnot. I know of a handful of people working in climate science but almost all of them are under Govt. eye . Most of them have got pegasus (a spying tool bought from the Israelis.) :(