Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 6167
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:13 am

N328KF wrote:
Sorry if it has been discussed: Why did Kherson fall on quickly in comparison to Mariupol? Seems live there was barely a fight for it.


This may have something to do with it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newswe ... 05%3famp=1

bt
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:29 am

N328KF wrote:
Sorry if it has been discussed: Why did Kherson fall on quickly in comparison to Mariupol? Seems live there was barely a fight for it.

I would guess that the steel works in Mariupol with its very specific topology provided a unique tactical advantage for the ukrainian defenders and a corresponding challenge to the russian attackers.

We can only hope for the best for the beleaguered civilians there, though!
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 9080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:35 am

N328KF wrote:
Sorry if it has been discussed: Why did Kherson fall on quickly in comparison to Mariupol? Seems live there was barely a fight for it.

I had heard (and have no idea if it's true or not) that a lot of the initial gains for Russia because of the element of surprise (Ukraine was in heightened state of readiness, but you can't be at 100% for long periods of time just waiting) but also because it isn't smart to have all your troops heavily garrisoning the border. Too easy to surprise them and punch a hole into the undefended interior.

When the initial invasion begun, Russia was able to overwhelm the border regions which were lightly defended and were stopped once the Ukrainians started to mobilize their forces.

Take that with a grain of salt, but it makes sense
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 9080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:41 am

I question the prevailing wisdom of the May 9th end date. It's been widely reported, but I haven't actually seen anything official stating Russia has to wrap it up by then. I guess they never would publically say it, but are we so certain that is the end date?

Another thing that seems to be overlooked: who cares if Russia "ends" things May 9th? If Ukraine continues fighting, there is nothing Putin can do to end it besides just declaring it over.

I have a feeling this will go beyond May 9th, and at this point I question if Putin will stop things then. Maybe he can declare "mission accomplished", but even Russians would probably see that as BS if Ukraine continues heavy fighting.
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:02 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I question the prevailing wisdom of the May 9th end date. It's been widely reported, but I haven't actually seen anything official stating Russia has to wrap it up by then. I guess they never would publically say it, but are we so certain that is the end date?

I don't think it is an "end date" per se, it is just an important date because of the russian military parades and public focus on this day making it supremely awkward for Putin if he's on the podium with his pants figuratively pulled down at the time by – say – a successful ukrainian counter-offensive on the go and no plausible russian successes to show for all the pain the russian population is already feeling.

That is why he will be extremely eager to at least consolidate his limited gains in eastern Ukraine before that day.

But that is also why the Ukrainians are keenly aware of this and they will be out to spoil this date for him – it would be by far the most effective strategy against Putin to make him looking weak and unable to control his own invasion while being exposed at the great patriotic display on Red Square.

That would undermine his regime more than almost anything else and the public embarrassment would foment unhappiness within his military and security apparatus and raise his own paranoia to eleven (or by now: to twelve).
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 3206
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:14 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I question the prevailing wisdom of the May 9th end date. It's been widely reported, but I haven't actually seen anything official stating Russia has to wrap it up by then. I guess they never would publically say it, but are we so certain that is the end date?

Another thing that seems to be overlooked: who cares if Russia "ends" things May 9th? If Ukraine continues fighting, there is nothing Putin can do to end it besides just declaring it over.

I have a feeling this will go beyond May 9th, and at this point I question if Putin will stop things then. Maybe he can declare "mission accomplished", but even Russians would probably see that as BS if Ukraine continues heavy fighting.


Well Ukrainian Independence Day is August 24. Hopefully Russian forces will be defeated in more theaters before then.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 6304
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:59 am

Klaus wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
I don't think it is an "end date" per se, it is just an important date because of the russian military parades and public focus on this day making it supremely awkward for Putin if he's on the podium with his pants figuratively pulled down at the time by – say – a successful ukrainian counter-offensive on the go and no plausible russian successes to show for all the pain the russian population is already feeling.


Speaking of which, I wonder what that military parade will look like, given that a lot of their hardware is tied up (or destroyed) in Ukraine and they have reportedly had to pull ancient soviet-era hardware from storage to help the war effort:

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-704938

The US estimates that Russia has committed 75% of its military to the Ukrainian invasion:

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-committed- ... 19152.html
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:04 am

Francoflier wrote:
The US estimates that Russia has committed 75% of its military to the Ukrainian invasion:

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-committed- ... 19152.html

Well, it's one way of engaging in significant disarmament...!
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:19 am

Francoflier wrote:
Klaus wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
I don't think it is an "end date" per se, it is just an important date because of the russian military parades and public focus on this day making it supremely awkward for Putin if he's on the podium with his pants figuratively pulled down at the time by – say – a successful ukrainian counter-offensive on the go and no plausible russian successes to show for all the pain the russian population is already feeling.


Speaking of which, I wonder what that military parade will look like, given that a lot of their hardware is tied up (or destroyed) in Ukraine and they have reportedly had to pull ancient soviet-era hardware from storage to help the war effort:

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-704938

The US estimates that Russia has committed 75% of its military to the Ukrainian invasion:

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-committed- ... 19152.html


Doesn’t russia still have those 14 brand new T14 Armata tanks?? They haven’t shipped those to Ukraine so there is enough to start a parade lol.
 
B717fan
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:30 am

Back to the WWIII and nuclear threats I see.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-warns- ... 09282.html
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2982
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:11 am

B717fan wrote:
Back to the WWIII and nuclear threats I see.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-warns- ... 09282.html


That site demanded 3rd party cookies be accepted!!

Here's a link from a News source that did not demand cookies be set:

Russia-Ukraine War LIVE: Russia warns of nuclear war

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-ne ... 10873.html
 
cpd
Posts: 7385
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:02 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
B717fan wrote:
Back to the WWIII and nuclear threats I see.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-warns- ... 09282.html


That site demanded 3rd party cookies be accepted!!

Here's a link from a News source that did not demand cookies be set:

Russia-Ukraine War LIVE: Russia warns of nuclear war

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-ne ... 10873.html


And what if the west doesn’t agree? The Russians will continue murdering, raping and looting:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/you ... 5ag1w.html
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21252
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:07 am

cpd wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Putin didn't look terribly healthy and focused when he attended Easter Mass in Москвa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ermvs6aQiaU

A few more scenes, from Switzerland's 20 Minuten: https://www.20min.ch/video/putin-video- ... 6424084150

That's far from the arrogant, super-confident dictator that we've seen a lot of recently. He looks liked a man with a lot on his mind. 20,000 Russian soldiers and counting, maybe. He actually looks quite unsure and vulnerable in that second clip. Looks like the stress is getting to him, and the mask is starting to slip.


It’s rumoured he has cancer and or Parkinson’s disease.


I've seen two things that seemed really strange in the last couple of days on the TV news -

1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.
Image
Source: https://images.lbc.co.uk/images

2) Last night he was shown delivering a speech from behind a lecturn. While his left hand was animated, his right arm seemed to be just hanging limply at his side. It was only a fairly brief view, but again it looked very odd.
Image
Source: Screengrab from BBC iPlayer
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21252
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Two more Russian Oligarchs and their families have been found murdered within 24 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulnIN-_Rr_8


Fixed that for you! ;)
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21252
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:21 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I question the prevailing wisdom of the May 9th end date. It's been widely reported, but I haven't actually seen anything official stating Russia has to wrap it up by then. I guess they never would publically say it, but are we so certain that is the end date?


I don't think Russia itself has ever specified a date. The 9th May date has only been suggested because of its historical significance in Russia. In Putin's perfect World, Ukraine would have surrendered a couple of days into the war, or the second best option all of Russia's military goals would have been achieved by 9th May so that Putin could announce and celebrate "victory" at the parade.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 7326
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 am

scbriml wrote:
cpd wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
2) Last night he was shown delivering a speech from behind a lecturn. While his left hand was animated, his right arm seemed to be just hanging limply at his side. It was only a fairly brief view, but again it looked very odd.

I hadn't seen that pic. Having one arm dangle like that is very peculiar. He looks quite uncomfortable. In the first pic he looks just like the pathetic little man he really is.
 
art
Posts: 4965
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:37 am

scbriml wrote:
cpd wrote:

It’s rumoured he has cancer and or Parkinson’s disease.


I've seen two things that seemed really strange in the last couple of days on the TV news -

1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.

2) Last night he was shown delivering a speech from behind a lecturn. While his left hand was animated, his right arm seemed to be just hanging limply at his side. It was only a fairly brief view, but again it looked very odd.


Hitler hid his trembling arm in 1945, didn't he? If Putin is ill, I hope his health falls off a cliff ASAP..
 
ReverseFlow
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:55 am

scbriml wrote:
cpd wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
That's far from the arrogant, super-confident dictator that we've seen a lot of recently. He looks liked a man with a lot on his mind. 20,000 Russian soldiers and counting, maybe. He actually looks quite unsure and vulnerable in that second clip. Looks like the stress is getting to him, and the mask is starting to slip.


It’s rumoured he has cancer and or Parkinson’s disease.


I've seen two things that seemed really strange in the last couple of days on the TV news -

1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.
Image
Source: https://images.lbc.co.uk/images

2) Last night he was shown delivering a speech from behind a lecturn. While his left hand was animated, his right arm seemed to be just hanging limply at his side. It was only a fairly brief view, but again it looked very odd.
Image
Source: Screengrab from BBC iPlayer
Perhaps in the first picture he has his finger near the trapdoor button that most villans have on their desk....

But joking aside I did once read an article as to why Putin walks with one hand swinging (left?) and the other placed near his hip.
Apparently that comes from KGB training where one have is ready and close to your hidden gun.
 
User avatar
Phosphorus
Posts: 1815
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:19 am

ReverseFlow wrote:
I also thought a country can't become a member of NATO if they currently have territorial disputes?
This would rule out Moldova due to Transnistria where there are Russian troops etc.
Also Georgia and Ukraine for that matter.


It's a phantom rule. Everybody mentions it, but it's not written down. Otherwise West Germany would have not been admitted into NATO in 1950's.
Grundgesetz of Germany at that time laid claim to all "pre-war" territory of Germany. Which meant territorial disputes (openly) with USSR, Poland, GDR. Indirectly with 3 Western Allied powers too (West Berlin). And depending on how you define "pre-war", possibly with Austria and Czechoslovakia as well.
 
cpd
Posts: 7385
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:35 am

scbriml wrote:
cpd wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
That's far from the arrogant, super-confident dictator that we've seen a lot of recently. He looks liked a man with a lot on his mind. 20,000 Russian soldiers and counting, maybe. He actually looks quite unsure and vulnerable in that second clip. Looks like the stress is getting to him, and the mask is starting to slip.


It’s rumoured he has cancer and or Parkinson’s disease.


I've seen two things that seemed really strange in the last couple of days on the TV news -

1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.
Image
Source: https://images.lbc.co.uk/images

2) Last night he was shown delivering a speech from behind a lecturn. While his left hand was animated, his right arm seemed to be just hanging limply at his side. It was only a fairly brief view, but again it looked very odd.
Image
Source: Screengrab from BBC iPlayer


It was said in that picture he was holding the desk to stop his hand shaking. But his foot apparently kept moving all the time.
 
oldJoe
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am

After yesterday's (Monday) attack on the state security ministry in Tiraspol, explosions hit the radio tower in Russia-backed Transnistria today
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/ukraine-invasion-russia-backed-transnistria-moldova-explosions-2648006
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6411
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:57 am

oldJoe wrote:
After yesterday's (Monday) attack on the state security ministry in Tiraspol, explosions hit the radio tower in Russia-backed Transnistria today
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/ukraine-invasion-russia-backed-transnistria-moldova-explosions-2648006


Maybe it's time for Moldavia to drive the Russian troops out of their "republic". If not now, when? Russia is at a low point.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4635
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:30 am

scbriml wrote:
1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.
Image
Source: https://images.lbc.co.uk/images

His head is also slumped down a bit, right shoulder down, left shoulder up.... not looking healthy. I did not see the video, so perhaps the hunchback is just momentary.

Looks to me like he's had a stroke or something. But I am not a doctor so what do I know?

As for the threats of going nuclear. I still believe that the Russian military's general staff has (just) enough backbone to go against such an order. To proceed with such an order would be complete suicide for Russia. I would not be surprised if there are already active communication channels between Russian generals and their US and Chinese counterparts. Not unlike when general Mark Milley went behind Trump's back to alleviate tensions with Russia and China.
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1922
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:34 am

I'm still concerned about the May 9th parade and Russia's reaction to an attack on it. By Ukraine, dissidents, FSB, Generals, or false flag?

How does Putin even attend now that the Ukrainians have advanced mini drones?
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1922
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am

"As for the threats of going nuclear. I still believe that the Russian military's general staff has (just) enough backbone to go against such an order. To proceed with such an order would be complete suicide for Russia. I would not be surprised if there are already active communication channels between Russian generals and their US and Chinese counterparts. Not unlike when general Mark Milley went behind Trump's back to alleviate tensions with Russia and China."

I believe they did advise the US that they were going to do a test launch of the Satan II ICBM. If true, tells me they don't want to start WW 3
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:47 am

Lol, when you thought the Russians couldn't get any more incompetent. Background: the FSB published footage about an alleged raid on a Ukrainian neo-Nazi cell inside Russia, who were allegedly planning to kill Vladimir Solovyov.
https://ria.ru/20220425/pokushenie-1785355333.html
Image
Image
Image
 
oldJoe
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:27 am

petertenthije wrote:
scbriml wrote:
1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.
Image
Source: https://images.lbc.co.uk/images

His head is also slumped down a bit, right shoulder down, left shoulder up.... not looking healthy. I did not see the video, so perhaps the hunchback is just momentary.

Looks to me like he's had a stroke or something. But I am not a doctor so what do I know?

As for the threats of going nuclear. I still believe that the Russian military's general staff has (just) enough backbone to go against such an order. To proceed with such an order would be complete suicide for Russia. I would not be surprised if there are already active communication channels between Russian generals and their US and Chinese counterparts. Not unlike when general Mark Milley went behind Trump's back to alleviate tensions with Russia and China.


Here is the video and everyone can form their own opinion about Putin's posture. Even if you don't understand what he says, you can still draw conclusions from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugHLQMWm5Y
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:30 pm

The pressure is clearly weighing on him, as it should!
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 9080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:50 pm

I am definitely NOT a conspiracy theorist, but given Russia's past with assassinations and poison... Is there any poison that kills slowly (over the course of a few weeks) and gives the symptoms that Putin is currently showing?

It is all probably a coincidence, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some unhappy oligarchs are giving Putin a taste of his own medicine to get him out of the way, while making it look natural...
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:15 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I am definitely NOT a conspiracy theorist, but given Russia's past with assassinations and poison... Is there any poison that kills slowly (over the course of a few weeks) and gives the symptoms that Putin is currently showing?

Yes: A chronic overdose of ruling power combined with an acute case of being confronted with the consequences of his own unchecked incompetence! :mischievous:

It is all probably a coincidence, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some unhappy oligarchs are giving Putin a taste of his own medicine to get him out of the way, while making it look natural...

It's more his military and oppression apparatus he would have to fear there!
 
oldJoe
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:56 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote :
It is all probably a coincidence, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some unhappy oligarchs are giving Putin a taste of his own medicine to get him out of the way, while making it look natural...


Maybe someone wants to be a millionaire
https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/world-news/2022/03/02/621fc50d22601d606a8b45ba.html
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:19 pm

oldJoe wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote :
It is all probably a coincidence, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some unhappy oligarchs are giving Putin a taste of his own medicine to get him out of the way, while making it look natural...


Maybe someone wants to be a millionaire
https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/world-news/2022/03/02/621fc50d22601d606a8b45ba.html

Crass, but not more so than what Putin is doing in Ukraine right now!
 
rubberdogdo
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:54 pm

Putin might be crazy , but he’s not stupid. He knows that he alone is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of his soldiers , sons of Mother Russia who fought and died in an ill-planned and disastrously conducted war of choice. He knows the world is angry. He knows Ukraine has proven not just a formidable opponent , but an opponent with inexhaustible weapons and fighting spirit while his own are incompetent , afraid and poorly equipped. He sees all this and wonders why they haven’t come for him , why they haven’t arrested him or killed him. He must be so afraid of the coming wrath of the Russian mothers , parents and families that he probably can’t eat or sleep - just worrying. I hope the worry slowly kills this evil crooked man slowly , with malice and without remorse. He alone deserves the worst punishment as a reminder to every person who would contemplate a similar course of action of its futility and foolishness.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 7326
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:33 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Maybe it's time for Moldavia to drive the Russian troops out of their "republic". If not now, when? Russia is at a low point.

Given the sense of disaffection in some of the far-flung republics of the Russian Federation, this would be their ideal time to push for independence. Putin's difficulties are their opportunities: they probably won't get an opportunity like this again.
 
Vintage
Posts: 631
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:48 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Maybe it's time for Moldavia to drive the Russian troops out of their "republic". If not now, when? Russia is at a low point.

Given the sense of disaffection in some of the far-flung republics of the Russian Federation, this would be their ideal time to push for independence. Putin's difficulties are their opportunities: they probably won't get an opportunity like this again.

You can believe that the CIA is reminding these people of the opportunity, and negotiating how much help we would give under the table.

What a lovely time to be an arms merchant!
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2429
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:41 pm

#Chinese manufacturer of video equipment and drones DJI suspends operations in #Russia.


https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1518991489459789831

So the first signs that the Chinese will abandon Russia in concern over western repercussions?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21252
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:51 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
#Chinese manufacturer of video equipment and drones DJI suspends operations in #Russia.


https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1518991489459789831

So the first signs that the Chinese will abandon Russia in concern over western repercussions?


In the comments it was claimed they also shutdown their Ukrainian operations.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 6167
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:31 pm

They have just confirmed what everyone here have been saying all along.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEO ... id=US%3Aen

That near real-time intelligence-sharing also paved the way for Ukraine to shoot down a Russian transport plane carrying hundreds of troops in the early days of the war, the officials say, helping repel a Russian assault on a key airport near Kyiv.


And the of course the Moskova sinking as WELL?

bt
 
Klaus
Posts: 21770
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:41 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:09 pm

bikerthai wrote:
They have just confirmed what everyone here have been saying all along.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEO ... id=US%3Aen

That near real-time intelligence-sharing also paved the way for Ukraine to shoot down a Russian transport plane carrying hundreds of troops in the early days of the war, the officials say, helping repel a Russian assault on a key airport near Kyiv.


And the of course the Moskova sinking as WELL?

Highly likely!

Pretty sure that many if not all NATO countries with the USA right in front are pushing high-grade reconnaissance information Kiyv's way!
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 6304
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:49 pm

I wonder if the help offered goes as far as providing strategic/tactical 'consulting' in addition to the intel.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 6167
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:01 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I wonder if the help offered goes as far as providing strategic/tactical 'consulting' in addition to the intel.


Tactical . . .
The Americans provided Ukraine with detailed advice about how to disperse their air defense systems, a move that U.S. officials say helped Ukraine prevent Russia from seizing control of the skies.


Strategic . . .

The Americans have stated their strategic goal (a defanged Russia). But I guess they probably want the Ukrainians to take the lead as they would not want the perception that the US is running the show :cheeky:

bt
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 9080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:03 pm

So the paratrooper aircraft shootdown is actually confirmed? I remember hearing about it, but eventually I put it in the "unconfirmed propaganda" pile like a lot of other things in the early days (I'm very pro Ukraine, but they are definitely exaggerating their kill count).

I remember thinking how devastating a shootdown of a fully loaded aircraft was in the first few days. I thought that incident alone was going to account for the majority of Russian deaths in their invasion. 15000 dead Russians later, here we are...
 
Dogman
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:10 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
So the paratrooper aircraft shootdown is actually confirmed? I remember hearing about it, but eventually I put it in the "unconfirmed propaganda" pile like a lot of other things in the early days (I'm very pro Ukraine, but they are definitely exaggerating their kill count).

I remember thinking how devastating a shootdown of a fully loaded aircraft was in the first few days. I thought that incident alone was going to account for the majority of Russian deaths in their invasion. 15000 dead Russians later, here we are...


One is confirmed, the second is rumored.
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 6167
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:12 pm

I was wondering if there was more to the Russian calling off the air bridge than the Ukrainian cratering the runway. Losing or or two transport full of troops will take the wind out of your sail.

bt
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 6167
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 pm

Dogman wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
So the paratrooper aircraft shootdown is actually confirmed? I remember hearing about it, but eventually I put it in the "unconfirmed propaganda" pile like a lot of other things in the early days (I'm very pro Ukraine, but they are definitely exaggerating their kill count).

I remember thinking how devastating a shootdown of a fully loaded aircraft was in the first few days. I thought that incident alone was going to account for the majority of Russian deaths in their invasion. 15000 dead Russians later, here we are...


One is confirmed, the second is rumored.


second Russian Ilyushin Il-76 military transport plane was shot down near Bila Tserkva, 50 miles (85 kilometers) south of Kyiv, according to two American officials with direct knowledge of conditions on the ground in Ukraine.


Almost as good as a confirmation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeso ... sport/amp/

Wonder what was it doing that far south?

bt
Last edited by bikerthai on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
B717fan
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:32 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:27 pm

scbriml wrote:
cpd wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
That's far from the arrogant, super-confident dictator that we've seen a lot of recently. He looks liked a man with a lot on his mind. 20,000 Russian soldiers and counting, maybe. He actually looks quite unsure and vulnerable in that second clip. Looks like the stress is getting to him, and the mask is starting to slip.


It’s rumoured he has cancer and or Parkinson’s disease.


I've seen two things that seemed really strange in the last couple of days on the TV news -

1) He was shown at a meeting with someone (can't remember who) and they were sat at a small table. For the short duration of the piece, Putin's right hand was clamped to the edge of the table in a really odd manner.
Image
Source: https://images.lbc.co.uk/images

2) Last night he was shown delivering a speech from behind a lecturn. While his left hand was animated, his right arm seemed to be just hanging limply at his side. It was only a fairly brief view, but again it looked very odd.
Image
Source: Screengrab from BBC iPlayer


I don't recall Putin ever looking like that ever. So odd.
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 9080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:34 pm

I was skeptical because there still haven't been any pics of IL-76 remains (I figure they were using IL-76s). I realize it can be difficult to find crash sites and all, but there was a lot of crazy info coming out in the beginning, all mentions of these shootdowns pretty much ceased after a couple days, and there haven't been any pics or other details on it since.

Literally the only proof I've seen is a few reports of it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I figured there'd be more about it
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:53 pm

Klaus wrote:
bikerthai wrote:
They have just confirmed what everyone here have been saying all along.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEO ... id=US%3Aen

That near real-time intelligence-sharing also paved the way for Ukraine to shoot down a Russian transport plane carrying hundreds of troops in the early days of the war, the officials say, helping repel a Russian assault on a key airport near Kyiv.


And the of course the Moskova sinking as WELL?

Highly likely!

Pretty sure that many if not all NATO countries with the USA right in front are pushing high-grade reconnaissance information Kiyv's way!


IMO, intelligence personnel , or something like that have been in Ukraine since the beginning feeding satellite intel to Ukraine forces, and "assisting" them in the use of sophisticated weapon systems.
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:07 pm

Someone mentioned before (from a statement on some major newspaper) that SAS were on the ground training Ukrainians on western weaponry. I bet Green Berets are attending that party too. Boy, Vlad would sell his own mother (if he ever had one) to capture a western SF operator!


Edit:

Kinda like this

https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-in ... 022-04-23/

I think it's very unlikely that they will anyway be conducting anything close to combat duties.
Last edited by AtomicGarden on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 3206
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine - *Discussion* Thread

Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:07 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
So the paratrooper aircraft shootdown is actually confirmed? I remember hearing about it, but eventually I put it in the "unconfirmed propaganda" pile like a lot of other things in the early days (I'm very pro Ukraine, but they are definitely exaggerating their kill count).

I remember thinking how devastating a shootdown of a fully loaded aircraft was in the first few days. I thought that incident alone was going to account for the majority of Russian deaths in their invasion. 15000 dead Russians later, here we are...


I think 15K is an undercount. I believe the Ukrainian numbers of about 21K is more accurate.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dc10bhx, GDB, journeyperson, lightsaber, par13del and 18 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos