Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkojq

Re: 2022 F1 Season News and Discussion Thread

Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:53 am

Less than a week until El Plan comes to fruition. :bouncy:

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
As for Mercedes & Lewis Hamilton, are they really in trouble, or is it just a case of sandbagging to the extreme?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181 ... favourites

This is par for the course for Lewis and Mercedes. Every season they pretend that their car is terrible in testing and that it's very unlikely that they'll win races (let alone championships) with it. Then they turn up to race one and are ~1.5s faster than everyone else and attribute it to some combination of working harder than the other teams or having better drivers. It's false humility at best.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
An interesting surprise from Haas - Kevin "Suck My Balls" Magnussen returns to replace Mazepin!

I guess they realized they needed an experienced racer to help develop the car.

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/kevin-m ... as-f1-team

Excellent news. Kmag's a good dude.

Grizzly410

Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:23 am

zkojq wrote:

24h left before realising how heavy is the cinder block of reality on the fruit tartlet del Plan ?
I really want Alpine to succeed but even though they seem to be happy with the new engine I'm afraid they won't actually come much closer to the front row.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:11 pm

T18 wrote:
Well, I'll shed no tears for Sochi, politically it should not go on and frankly the track stinks anyway imo.

Yip it's not the best track but then again none of the Hermann Tilke tracks are any good either.

StarAC17

Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:00 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
T18 wrote:
Well, I'll shed no tears for Sochi, politically it should not go on and frankly the track stinks anyway imo.

Yip it's not the best track but then again none of the Hermann Tilke tracks are any good either.

I wouldn't say they all suck, Russia and Abu Dhabi aren't good but some of the others aren't too bad.

Bahrain was designed by him and that is usually well received by the teams and fans.
Saudi Arabia was a total mess last year but it is race number 2 and lets see how that does on the 27th.

COTA and Turkey can create good racing as well, they were all designed by him.

T18

Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:14 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
T18 wrote:

I wouldn't say they all suck, Russia and Abu Dhabi aren't good but some of the others aren't too bad.

Bahrain was designed by him and that is usually well received by the teams and fans.
Saudi Arabia was a total mess last year but it is race number 2 and lets see how that does on the 27th.

COTA and Turkey can create good racing as well, they were all designed by him.

Bahrain is okay except with that stadium section they ran like once. Tilke is a mixed bag, park of the issue is the demands the FIA make, as his non grade I tracks are really good looking. I don't like COTA, having run it in a few sims, it has no flow and a bunch of stupid and pointless corners. It could be fixed imo with some edits, it is really terrible for NASCAR geez. Great example of bad Tilke design is China and Sepang, I swear they share the same 1st 4 corners and the exact same esses.

zkojq

Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:47 pm

Seb got covid so Nico Hulkenberg makes a return.

Meanwhile Mercedes are crying wolf again :roll: :

https://the-race.com/formula-1/alfa-rom ... s-russell/

https://twitter.com/ErikvHaren/status/1 ... 8479857668

Grizzly410 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

24h left before realising how heavy is the cinder block of reality on the fruit tartlet del Plan ?
I really want Alpine to succeed but even though they seem to be happy with the new engine I'm afraid they won't actually come much closer to the front row.

El Plan is ticking along just nicely. Turns out that the Alpine is so fast that the bodywork gets ripped off it....which saves weight.

StarAC17

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:46 pm

zkojq wrote:
Seb got covid so Nico Hulkenberg makes a return.

Meanwhile Mercedes are crying wolf again :roll: :

Don't you mean Wolff :spin:

I honestly have no idea what to make of Mercedes.
I watched a good part of FP2 today and Hamilton was struggling and locked up repeatedly, so its more than just the porpoising. I don't think they are sandbagging but they will get there. Watch them come to Australia ready to go.

marcelh

Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 am

zkojq wrote:
El Plan is ticking along just nicely. Turns out that the Alpine is so fast that the bodywork gets ripped off it....which saves weight.

You mean: “it’s a genuine French car: brand new and already falling into pieces.”

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:07 pm

Ferrari are back!

Leclerc on pole, Sainz in third, Valtteri Bottas in 6th behind Hamilton, and Kevin Magnussen dragging the Haas to their first top 10 grid start since 2019!

Francoflier

Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 pm

The Ferraris are back indeed.
All Ferrari powered teams did quite well, in fact. Aside from the main team P1/P2, both Alfas finished in the points and Magnussen finished 5th... in a Haas!

Big question marks on RedBull / AlphaTauri engine reliability on the other hand, with three of the four RBPT cars retiring before the end of the race.

Dahlgardo

Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:14 pm

Francoflier wrote:
The Ferraris are back indeed.
All Ferrari powered teams did quite well, in fact. Aside from the main team P1/P2, both Alfas finished in the points and Magnussen finished 5th... in a Haas!

Big question marks on RedBull / AlphaTauri engine reliability on the other hand, with three of the four RBPT cars retiring before the end of the race.

Also worth of note is that all Mercedes-powered customer teams were stuck at the bottom.
The McLarens did not look good at all.

zkojq

Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:23 pm

Fantastic to see a Ferrari 1-2. Hopefully the first of many. Great to see KMAG and Albono doing rather well for their teams after a year out. Solid performance from Ocon too, especially considering he was running the old sidepods.

Most importantly though, the racability of these cars is clearly vastly superior to anything we've had in the past decade. Fantastic to see the cars racing so close together, corner after corner, lap after lap. I also get the impression that it's now much easier to race someone closely without burning up your tires too much.

Dahlgardo wrote:
Also worth of note is that all Mercedes-powered customer teams were stuck at the bottom.
The McLarens did not look good at all.

Not gonna lie: I'm actually really liking seeing all the Mercedes teams struggle for once. I don't like any of the Mercedes customer teams, if I'm honest; McLaren and Aston Martin in particular do absolutely nothing for me. Looks like McLaren should have stuck with Renault haha.

Also Daniel Ricciardo seems to have made some Fernando Alonso level career moves.

Aesma

Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:53 pm

All in all a good race and result. I think Mercedes can fix their issues and get in the fight. The RBR is fast but it might be to the detriment of reliability (cooling issues) so it might need to get slower to last a race (and of course many parts have to last many races). A Ferrari return or a glitch ? They always have liked that track. The Ferrari customer teams are really Ferrari B-teams so not too surprising they all did well.

I'd quite like a Ferrari/Mercedes title battle.

scbriml

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:14 am

Aesma wrote:
All in all a good race and result. I think Mercedes can fix their issues and get in the fight. The RBR is fast but it might be to the detriment of reliability (cooling issues) so it might need to get slower to last a race (and of course many parts have to last many races). A Ferrari return or a glitch ? They always have liked that track. The Ferrari customer teams are really Ferrari B-teams so not too surprising they all did well.

While I'd bet money on Mercedes improving, they were basically running a second a lap off the pace. Granted, some of that was down to the slightly odd decision to run the hard tyre which really didn't seem to work at all, but that's an awful lot of pace to try and claw back. It's not like Ferrari and Red Bull will be standing still, either.

Leclerc is pretty smart - he said after the race he was braking early for T1. Verstappen of course couldn't resist despite it meaning he had to take a tighter line into the corner. Of course that subsequently meant Leclerc had DRS and a better run on Verstappen down to T4 (the Ferrari was clearly the best car out of T3 all race long). Having failed the first time, Verstappen tried again. Then tried a third time. What's that old adage about repeating something and expecting a different outcome?

Both Red Bulls DNFing in the last couple of laps was something of a shocker. Early suggestions are that both cars suffered with fuel feed issues. I read that several teams experienced this in testing, but that Red Bull did no low fuel/race distance simulations? Sounds a bit odd, but should be easily fixable. That said, three out of four RB powered drivers failing to finish will be sounding some alarm bells.

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 am

Interesting that Verstappen is able to race with Leclerc cleanly.

Perhaps it's evidence that last year's contretemps were caused by the other side instead of the Red Bull?

scbriml

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:25 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Perhaps it's evidence that last year's contretemps were caused by the other side instead of the Red Bull?

You'd have a point if only one of the protagonists had been penalised for all their clashes, but since that wasn't the case.....

Aesma

Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:33 am

What Leclerc did is explained just above. That way, they had different trajectories, no reason to collide. He didn't do it for that reason though, but to exploit an advantage in traction, and the fact that there are two DRS zones in a row, you always want to be the one with the DRS for the second zone. Last year the RBR had often that traction advantage, along with the issue with cars having trouble following each other, so letting a car pass was a bad idea, you had no guarantee you could get the place back.

Francoflier

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

We're a long way from a one on one fight for the title yet, if Verstappen is even part of it this time... I don't think the intense pressure that makes him go Kamikaze is there yet.
We didn't have to wait too long for the constant whining and angry tantrums on the radio, however.

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:58 am

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

You'd have a point if only one of the protagonists had been penalised for all their clashes, but since that wasn't the case.....

Considering that Verstappen was blamed for everything last year, even when he wasn't penalized for it, I'd think the point is clearly warranted.

Francoflier wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

We're a long way from a one on one fight for the title yet, if Verstappen is even part of it this time... I don't think the intense pressure that makes him go Kamikaze is there yet.
We didn't have to wait too long for the constant whining and angry tantrums on the radio, however.

There were complaints about his driving style from as early as Imola last year, so it's hardly the "kamikaze" issue that's going on right now.

As for the radio, well it's not like he's the only one doing it.

marcelh

Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:40 am

Great race with a - for me as a VER fan - disappointing outcome. Nevertheless the all new regulations and designs Made it fun to watch. The new Ferrari fits LEC like a glove and deserved to win this race. It’s the best (most mature?) car at the start of this season. VER showed that the Red Bull is competitive, but needs some improvement. Issues like the breaks getting too hot, (power?) stearing issues and a fuel pump that broke down, retire the carafe losing a second place isn’t what you want.
SAI and PER aren’t as confident as their team mates yet, but that will improve. It’s a bit sad to see the other top team like Mercedes and MacLaren struggle, but I expect them to come back within a few races. Haas is the real surprise and great to see them performing, although the Ferrari engine will definitely help.it’s no coincidence Alfa Romeo did great as well (although BOT his start wasn’t too impressive…).
This race - and I expect next race as well - Ferrari will be the best. After that, we’ll see.

marcelh

Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:48 am

scbriml wrote:
Aesma wrote:

While I'd bet money on Mercedes improving, they were basically running a second a lap off the pace. Granted, some of that was down to the slightly odd decision to run the hard tyre which really didn't seem to work at all, but that's an awful lot of pace to try and claw back. It's not like Ferrari and Red Bull will be standing still, either.

Leclerc is pretty smart - he said after the race he was braking early for T1. Verstappen of course couldn't resist despite it meaning he had to take a tighter line into the corner. Of course that subsequently meant Leclerc had DRS and a better run on Verstappen down to T4 (the Ferrari was clearly the best car out of T3 all race long). Having failed the first time, Verstappen tried again. Then tried a third time. What's that old adage about repeating something and expecting a different outcome?

Well, AFAIK VER isn’t a member at this forum but a F1 World Champion, so we may assume he knows a thing or two about F1 racing and knows what he is doing… :biggrin:

Both Red Bulls DNFing in the last couple of laps was something of a shocker. Early suggestions are that both cars suffered with fuel feed issues. I read that several teams experienced this in testing, but that Red Bull did no low fuel/race distance simulations? Sounds a bit odd, but should be easily fixable. That said, three out of four RB powered drivers failing to finish will be sounding some alarm bells.

It was a fuel pump failure, something already known during testing. It’s a standard pump (all teams have to use it), but for whatever reason RBR did not see it as a potential problem. At least VER was also having issues with the break temperature and steering, so not a great start for RBR….

marcelh

Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:10 am

Francoflier wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

VER has shown he and his car can battle for 1st place, so we can also state that he is part of it this time (for now). And what you consider as “kamikaze”, VER and HAM got penalized for it when the stewards considered it as dangerous driving. Sometimes they got away with it (HAM at Silverstone: penalized but a 26 point gain) which made the battle for the title unnecessarily exiting till the end of season. The outcome of the season was very well predicted by Fernando Alonso:
https://youtu.be/bYYiF-lZ_tw

Virtual737

Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:09 am

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12475/12571619/max-verstappen-critical-of-red-bull-after-brutal-double-retirement-from-bahrain-grand-prix

"Of course you can always say problems can happen and you might have a retirement," Verstappen said. "But I think at this level, after already having so much information with engines and stuff, it shouldn't happen.

"We already lost a lot of points again in one race weekend, so that's just really not good, but of course I know that with one retirement it's not over, but I would have preferred to have 18 points."

MV already playing the team game. Class.

StarAC17

Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:48 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

There was clean racing between Hamilton and Verstappen last year as well but that didn't make the headlines.

It's the first race and no driver would be stupid enough to risk a crash just to gain a place. Perhaps if it is between these two later in the season we will see a lot more close contact racing and potential crashes.

That will be coming soon enough.

scbriml

Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:19 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Considering that Verstappen was blamed for everything last year, even when he wasn't penalized for it, I'd think the point is clearly warranted.

You either have a very short memory, or you're a fan of revisionist history! :lol:

Let's try looking ahead instead of backwards. If Leclerc keeps his cool and Verstappen continues to lose his, it's probably only going one way.

marcelh wrote:
Well, AFAIK VER isn’t a member at this forum but a F1 World Champion, so we may assume he knows a thing or two about F1 racing and knows what he is doing…

Verstappen is fast, but certainly doesn't give the impression of being very cerebral after falling for the same trap three laps in a row. Then pulling alongside Leclerc for the SC restart, leaving himself a much tighter line into the last corner wasn't the smartest move either.

Virtual737 wrote:

It's all part of his "no nonsense charm".

marcelh

Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Considering that Verstappen
Virtual737 wrote:

It's all part of his "no nonsense charm".

Nope, it’s just Dutchmen like clear language. Some may find it rude, but speaking directly is our way over here.

petertenthije

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:14 pm

There is a fire at the Aramco oil depots, just 10 KM away from the Jeddah race track.

According to as yet unconfirmed reports Yemeni Houthi rebells have claimed this as one of their operations.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/20133252 ... n-rebellen

Edited to add English language link:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ce-weekend

zkojq

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:42 pm

Stefano Domenicali negotiating with the Saudi Princes to raise the price of the GP as we speak.....

Also, F2 was an absolute skip fire. Over four minutes for the marshals to get to a car after a very heavy crash. This track is a disaster.

StarAC17

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:00 pm

zkojq wrote:
Stefano Domenicali negotiating with the Saudi Princes to raise the price of the GP as we speak.....

Also, F2 was an absolute skip fire. Over four minutes for the marshals to get to a car after a very heavy crash. This track is a disaster.

IIRC the race in December had 2 red flags, a safety car and 2 or 3 Virtual safety cars.

We can probably expect the same on Sunday.

scbriml

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:33 pm

petertenthije wrote:
There is a fire at the Aramco oil depots, just 10 KM away from the Jeddah race track.

According to as yet unconfirmed reports Yemeni Houthi rebells have claimed this as one of their operations.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/20133252 ... n-rebellen

Edited to add English language link:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ce-weekend

It's bad enough that F1 whores itself to various dodgy (disgusting) regimes around the World, but to carry on as missiles are exploding just a few miles away is another whole level of Dr Strangelove.

zkojq

Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:18 am

"Possible consequences of not racing, such as how easily teams and drivers would be able to leave the country if the race did not happen"

So they're not entirely confident that they wouldn't be held hostage? Sounds like deciding to have a GP at a country that has by far the worst human rights record on the planet was a great idea. :checkmark:

The guarantees of safety given to F1 by the Saudi authorities appear to be along the lines of this happens regularly, only commercial facilities are attacked, they won't attack the race, and we have drone/missile defences in the area. I'm not sure that everyone is so convinced

So as long as these "terrorists" are upstanding and honourable, everything will be ok and they won't attack the massively viewed sporting event that's plastered with Aramco logos, just the Aramco oil infrastructure instead?

https://www.twitter.com/adamcooperF1/st ... 7580498956

Virtual737

Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:12 am

zkojq wrote:
they won't attack the race, and we have drone/missile defences in the area. I'm not sure that everyone is so convinced

That bit did make me chuckle. The oil infrastructure was only 7.5 miles from the track. Exactly what area are the drones / missile defences in then?

cskok8

Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:12 am

No civilized country holds foreigners hostage, they just refuse to issue exit permit

ltbewr

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:09 am

Sports, including F1 racing, are being ruined by a toxic mix of money, questionable rules and enforcement, corruption and politics. For almost a century, F1 and its predecessors events have been held in countries with violent dictators, serious human right issues, tax dodging political entities, civil wars, used to buy respect from the world. The timing of the oil facility attack in SA was obviously intentional by an ethnic group to get attention from and shame SA to the world (mainly Europe) for their wars against them that have gone on for centuries. The F1 race in Russia has been cancelled due to that country's war in Ukraine, but for a number of years, a race was held in Russia, despite its serious political, corruption and other issues. In the past, race venues like South Africa were discontinued due to human rights issues.

Perhaps the only way to end this is for the big corporations who sponsor in this and other sports to back off funding of them to limit their indirect support of the troublesome issues having racing in such host sites presents.

flipdewaf

Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:36 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sports, including F1 racing, are being ruined by a toxic mix of money, questionable rules and enforcement, corruption and politics. For almost a century, F1 and its predecessors events have been held in countries with violent dictators, serious human right issues, tax dodging political entities, civil wars, used to buy respect from the world. The timing of the oil facility attack in SA was obviously intentional by an ethnic group to get attention from and shame SA to the world (mainly Europe) for their wars against them that have gone on for centuries. The F1 race in Russia has been cancelled due to that country's war in Ukraine, but for a number of years, a race was held in Russia, despite its serious political, corruption and other issues. In the past, race venues like South Africa were discontinued due to human rights issues.

Perhaps the only way to end this is for the big corporations who sponsor in this and other sports to back off funding of them to limit their indirect support of the troublesome issues having racing in such host sites presents.

Major sports organisations have sold us this trope for decades that ‘sport is above politics’ and I think they have come to believe it themselves. The reality is that getting the punters to believe this means that they can legitimise the use of corrupt money coming to them.

The cultish behaviour of religions taking advantage is the same as sports these days. Sad.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jetwet1

Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:06 pm

I would actually be interested in seeing the Kingdom stopping a group of F1 drivers from leaving. It may finally open some eyes , though it would be the last F1 race held there for a long time.

StarAC17

Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:21 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I would actually be interested in seeing the Kingdom stopping a group of F1 drivers from leaving. It may finally open some eyes , though it would be the last F1 race held there for a long time.

I am been out so haven't watched live but with Mick's crash in Q2 and another Red Flag in qualifying this track probably shouldn't be on the calendar in the first place. Saudi human rights record notwithstanding

I expect utter chaos tomorrow unfortunately.

Other notes: Hamilton out in Q1, Checo on pole!

T18

Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:59 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I am been out so haven't watched live but with Mick's crash in Q2 and another Red Flag in qualifying this track probably shouldn't be on the calendar in the first place. Saudi human rights record notwithstanding

I expect utter chaos tomorrow unfortunately.

Other notes: Hamilton out in Q1, Checo on pole!

Rather alarming to me that where he hit is an unprotected concrete barrier, and honestly that spot should clearly be expected as a possible impact zone given the track geometry. I noted leading up to the event they put out some ps statements about tweaks to the track to improve saftey by moving walls and improving sightlines, from the Q coverage I see little evidence that any of that makes a bit of difference. Here is hoping we don't see another pile up like last year.

Newark727

Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:56 pm

Next year can we have this race somewhere else? Like, not in Saudi Arabia?

flipdewaf

Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:39 pm

Newark727 wrote:

Ukraine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newark727

Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:55 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Ukraine!

I appreciate the sentiment, but Ukraine has better uses for its money than bribing the FIA.

TangoandCash

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:31 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Ukraine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if the usual cars are replaced with captured Russian tanks! :rotfl:

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:20 pm

F1 went to South Africa at the height of apartheid, went to China & Singapore, both of which is well known for its lack of human rights, and has three races in the US which had committed its own human rights abuses. It's quite hypocritical then that some are protesting about having a race in Saudi Arabia, really.

On another note, it's incredibly clear that Kevin Magnussen is raising the bar at Haas and Mick Schumacher is trying very hard to match his teammate. Hence the crash.

Also, Hamilton not being able to get out of Q1 not through a mechanical issue while his teammate scraped through tenth? Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QQa_czKJ_Fk

zkojq

Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:27 am

So a checklist for the weekend so far:

- Missile attack nearby with drivers being very highly pressured to race against their wishes by the despotic Saudi Government. :checkmark:
- Inexperienced/Incompetent Marshalls who took more than five minutes to get to a seriously damaged car/driver in F2. :checkmark:
- Dangerous track design with plenty of high speed blind corners and plenty of areas of inadequate tire/techpro barrier protection. :checkmark:
- Marhsall tweeting that he hopes a driver is seriously injured or killed. :checkmark:

What other delightful surprises can we expect once the actual race gets underway? :roll:

Dutchy

Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:17 pm

Nice victory for Max

william

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:20 am

Wow, what a race, the new regulations are working as intended.

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 am

Checo just can't catch a break. First he lost a podium due to car troubles, then he lost a win through a pitstop at the wrong time.

cougar15

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:44 am

:old: :old: :old: Interesting scenario for Lewis. Bagged your 7th and are struggling..... Reminds me of a certain Mr Schumacher in 2006. That wicked 8th.... seems to be a touch one.......:

Dutchy

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:18 am

cougar15 wrote:
:old: :old: :old: Interesting scenario for Lewis. Bagged your 7th and are struggling..... Reminds me of a certain Mr Schumacher in 2006. That wicked 8th.... seems to be a touch one.......:

Hopefully, Lewis will not be the one who stopped 1 year too late. A great driver who deserves much better than ending up in the middle of the grid.

StarAC17

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:29 pm

cougar15 wrote:

Considering that the Merc is clearly 3rd Lewis had a decent race getting up to 6th at one point. It was bad luck that when he needed to pit both Riccardo and Alonso had failures that blocked the pit lane. Under the VSC afterwards the pit lane was closed. Had this not happened he would have held his position more than likely.

I think Lewis's future might be dependent on how quickly Mercedes can turn it around. If they are competitive as the season goes on and perhaps don't win this year but have a chance next year, Lewis will stay. If they can't fix the issues then he might retire.

None of us know what Lewis is thinking. Only he does.