Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

victrola
Topic Author

Expel Russia from FIFA

Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:04 am

FIFA, as one of the most corrupt organizations in the world needs to be put in its place. The whole idea that they would grant the World Cup to a barbaric country like Qatar disgusts me. Although I am an enthusiastic soccer fan, I have already been considering boycotting the 2022 World Cup. It's time to hit these FIFA dogs where it hurts. The countries of the European Union and the United States and other democracies should demand that Russia be expelled from FIFA and banned from any FIFA competitions. If our demands are not met, we will refuse to participate in the 2022 World Cup.

Pampot70

Re: Expel Russia from FIFA

Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:02 am

The prevailing attitude consists of keeping sport and all the rest separate. Notable exceptions come directly from inside the sport world, see the doping scandal which involves you know who.
What can be done - and will be done - is to cancel the events in their venues, due to the impossibility to reach the place and the impossibility to guarantee security and protection. Noteworthy incoming events are the final of Champions League in St Petersburg and the Sochi F1 race.

As per removing corruption from FIFA, it is like emptying the ocean with a spoon.

tommy1808

Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:30 am

"Expel Russians", period.

B777LRF

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:34 am

The HAAS F1 team has removed Uralkali and the Russian colours from their car. The Russian F1 GP will undoubtedly be cancelled. UEFA is almost certain to move the CL final away from Leningrad (nee, St. Petersburg). The WC qualifier matches Russia is scheduled to participate in should be cancelled and Russia declared the loser by default.

There is plenty of precedence to go by, and Russia should be excluded from all international sports, and Russian nationals should be excluded from participating under a neutral flag, e.g the farce that is the “Russian Olympic Committee”.

B777LRF

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:48 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Suspend Chelsea until Putin withdraws. Then Abramovich will put pressure on Putin to withdraw.

Or seize their yachts, all at anchor in Monaco. I bet they'd be engineering a coup within days.

Not a bad idea: Any sports team with a Russian controlling interest should be banned from participating in either national or international games, until such time they have rid themselves of Russian ownership or Russia has withdrawn behind her borders.

As for seizing their floating (or flying) gin palaces, that might be a bit more complicated as boats and aeroplane have the unique ability to remove themselves from anywhere which might impose sanctions, and seek refuge in friendly minded ports. Could ban them from entering EU waters and airways, which would of course utterly defeat the purpose of owning a 200 meter penis extension; what’s the purpose if you can’t anchor off St. Tropez, throw a part and ferry hordes of prostitutes and kilos Columbian marching powder onboard?

scbriml

Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:18 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

Exactly. Throw every Russian team out of every international sports competition.

UEFA has moved the Champions League final away from St Petersburg. Now kick all the Russian teams out of all the UEFA and FIFA tournaments.

F1 on the other hand has made a less than convincing statement about this years Russian GP.
"... it is impossible to hold the Russian GP in the current circumstances."

https://twitter.com/F1Media/status/1497 ... 32/photo/1

Why not just come out with a more forceful statement and say it is cancelled and will be replaced?

Derico

Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:19 pm

scbriml wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Exactly. Throw every Russian team out of every international sports competition.

UEFA has moved the Champions League final away from St Petersburg. Now kick all the Russian teams out of all the UEFA and FIFA tournaments.

F1 on the other hand has made a less than convincing statement about this years Russian GP.

Why not just come out with a more forceful statement and say it is cancelled and will be replaced?

Again, this is not being pro-Russian or anti-Anglo, but what is the difference between the operations now in Ukraine and the operations then in Iraq? Forget democracy vs non-democracy, forget circumstances, strictly in the scope of the international laws and the UN charter, what is the difference?

So far, I have not see any member be able to explain what is the difference IN the law.

Well, I think beyond the fact that no one was willing to stand up to Washington, I have another more nauseating reason. Ukranians are Europeans, Iraqis were not, so the outrage is stronger among the capitals of Europe of seeing people that look like them as refugees or covered in blood, vs the faces in Iraq. That remains a sad reality in the world.

I'm all for ostracizing the current Russia on all fronts. I just wish this was done every time nations violate UN regulations based on the violation of the law and not on whether the perpetrators as nice guys or not.

victrola
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:34 pm

I don't think it would take much for FIFA to cave in. Imagine a World Cup without England and the European Union countries. Anyway, how is Russia going to play World Cup qualifying matches? They would obviously be unwelcome guests in the West, and what Western teams are going to fly to Russia under these curcumstances? Same situation for Champions Leage and UEFA.

Virtual737

Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:47 pm

victrola wrote:
Imagine a World Cup without England

It's coming home! - sorry, couldn't help myself.

ChrisKen

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:07 pm

victrola wrote:
I don't think it would take much for FIFA to cave in. Imagine a World Cup without England and the European Union countries. Anyway, how is Russia going to play World Cup qualifying matches? They would obviously be unwelcome guests in the West, and what Western teams are going to fly to Russia under these curcumstances? Same situation for Champions Leage and UEFA.

Russian clubs must play their matches at a neutral venue. ie, away from home

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:01 pm

Derico wrote:
scbriml wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Again, this is not being pro-Russian or anti-Anglo, but what is the difference between the operations now in Ukraine and the operations then in Iraq? Forget democracy vs non-democracy, forget circumstances, strictly in the scope of the international laws and the UN charter, what is the difference?

So far, I have not see any member be able to explain what is the difference IN the law.

Well, I think beyond the fact that no one was willing to stand up to Washington, I have another more nauseating reason. Ukranians are Europeans, Iraqis were not, so the outrage is stronger among the capitals of Europe of seeing people that look like them as refugees or covered in blood, vs the faces in Iraq. That remains a sad reality in the world.

I'm all for ostracizing the current Russia on all fronts. I just wish this was done every time nations violate UN regulations based on the violation of the law and not on whether the perpetrators as nice guys or not.

I think differences in country has something to do with it, but not in a racist sense. Let's face it, no one in the West saw Iraq and said "are we next?" With Russia vs Ukraine, a lot of Europeans are wondering if they'll be next on the chopping block.

It's human nature to be more concerned when it's potentially your neck on the line. Conversely, I'm sure there were people in the Middle East concerned about the invasion of Iraq but couldn't care less about Ukraine, for the same reasons. Not because they're racist against Europeans.

And I'm not justifying the Iraqi invasion, I just think it's simple why people view these differently

johns624

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:05 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
victrola wrote:

Maybe they can play their games under the banner of the "Russian Football Committee" also...sarcasm.

scbriml

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:09 pm

ChrisKen wrote:

Not enough. Kick them all out.

ltbewr

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:10 pm

Yes, full sanctions banning any FIFA sanctioned events and teams from Russia must be put into place immediately. UK/EU teams owned by Russian nationals must have their shares put into a government/court supervised trust with freezing of any access to funds by them. Russian national players must be expelled from UK/EU/USA immediately, their visas revoked indefinitely.

victrola
Topic Author

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:04 am

Virtual737 wrote:
victrola wrote:
Imagine a World Cup without England

It's coming home! - sorry, couldn't help myself.

Quite understandable,

ChrisKen

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:38 pm

scbriml wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

Not enough. Kick them all out.

Just answering the question, the rest is for FIFA/UEFA to defend.

scbriml

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:51 pm

Poland will not play their World Cup play-off match which is scheduled to be played in Moscow on 24th March. Good for them, now perhaps FIFA & UEFA will step up and ban all Russian teams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60536030
Poland will boycott their World Cup play-off against Russia because of the invasion of Ukraine, with captain Robert Lewandowski saying "we can't pretend that nothing is happening".

Polish football association president Cezary Kulesza has said the team "does not intend" to play the game.

Russia are due to host Poland in Moscow on 24 March, while Ukraine travel to Scotland on the same day.

noviorbis77

Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:21 pm

scbriml wrote:
Poland will not play their World Cup play-off match which is scheduled to be played in Moscow on 24th March. Good for them, now perhaps FIFA & UEFA will step up and ban all Russian teams.

Poland will boycott their World Cup play-off against Russia because of the invasion of Ukraine, with captain Robert Lewandowski saying "we can't pretend that nothing is happening".

Polish football association president Cezary Kulesza has said the team "does not intend" to play the game.

Russia are due to host Poland in Moscow on 24 March, while Ukraine travel to Scotland on the same day.

Don’t be silly

When does UEFA or FIFA ever step up to do the right thing?

victrola
Topic Author

Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:47 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Don’t be silly

When does UEFA or FIFA ever step up to do the right thing?

When they find out that all the major European teams will refuse to attend, there will be no TV revenue, and any company foolish enough to sponsor the event will be subject to sanctions, I think they might do the right thing. What other choice would they have?

Pampot70

Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:57 am

As expected. Fifa has removed Russia and created RFU (Russia Football Union) which will act as the national team while waiting for better times. At this point, how to fight the situation... My take is to suspend the russian nationals who play in western clubs and prevent access to those in Russia if they accept to go and play Poland on neutral ground on March 24. Wonder if it is going to happen.

ltbewr

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:11 pm

First of all, for the foreseeable future it will be impossible to travel to/from Russia due to the lock out of airspace to Russian based aircraft and airlines over Europe and North America and likely other sanctions/lock outs of train, ship/ferry travel as well. That means Russian nationals and teams won't be able to travel outside of Russia anyway. Still FIFA must put in a ban on Russia national and professional teams and any Russian nationals on teams outside of Russia under FIFA at least for the remainder of the calendar year and 2023 and Russia's national team removed from the World Cup qualifiers, replaced with a team that came closest to being in the qualifiers. The US, various governments, the EU parliament should also put in strong sanctions as to Russian teams and nationals in their sports leagues.

N328KF

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:09 pm

Derico

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:14 pm

Well, in the dictionary, the definition of "poor decision" has always been "when you [email protected]#& so bad even FIFA and Switzerland punish you."

ltbewr

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:22 pm

Per reports FIFA has banned Russia teams (as well as from Belarus) from competing for the World Cup later this year and from regional qualifying. The IOC has also taken (about a month too late) a similar stand. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter ... NewsSearch

victrola
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:35 pm

Derico wrote:
Well, in the dictionary, the definition of "poor decision" has always been "when you [email protected]#& so bad even FIFA and Switzerland punish you."

You win the internet today!

victrola
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:47 pm

I can't help but think that a post 3 days ago by me, an obscure humble member of this website, set off a revolution that forced mighty FIFA to kick Russia out of the World Cup. :silly:

mke717spotter

Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:16 am

scbriml wrote:
Poland will not play their World Cup play-off match which is scheduled to be played in Moscow on 24th March.

Not that I don't think they're sincere in their objections to Russia's actions in Ukraine, but I can't help but think that the declarations from Poland, Sweden, and the Czech Republic had at least something to do with the prevailing view that they would have a more favorable route to Qatar if Russia were kicked out. After all, Poland was supposed to play in Moscow (they've never won in Russia), and then the winner would've hosted either Sweden or Czech Republic in the final match. Poland in particular is catching a big break here because they made a mess of it in their last qualifier. Having already been assured of a spot in the playoff round, all they needed to do was avoid a loss at home versus Hungary and they would've secured a home match in the playoffs against one of the "weaker" sides. However, they benched Lewandowski, the rest of the team laid an egg, and they lost 2-1, thus punching their tickets to Russia. I'm not saying Russia's expulsion is inappropriate, but FIFA should've just come out and done it right away instead of waffling back and forth.

ltbewr wrote:
Per reports FIFA has banned Russia teams (as well as from Belarus) from competing for the World Cup later this year and from regional qualifying.

They still haven't announced how the qualification matches will proceed. It would seem either Poland will advance automatically to the final match or Poland, Sweden, and the Czechs will play a round-robin to determine who goes through. The matches are due to be played in just a few weeks' time. Perhaps they are holding out hope that they can re-instate the Russian team in the event there is a ceasefire agreement?

scbriml

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:36 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Not that I don't think they're sincere in their objections to Russia's actions in Ukraine, but I can't help but think that the declarations from Poland, Sweden, and the Czech Republic had at least something to do with the prevailing view that they would have a more favorable route to Qatar if Russia were kicked out.

Yeah, those decisions were clearly all about the football. :sarcastic:

mke717spotter wrote:
They still haven't announced how the qualification matches will proceed. It would seem either Poland will advance automatically to the final match or Poland, Sweden, and the Czechs will play a round-robin to determine who goes through. The matches are due to be played in just a few weeks' time. Perhaps they are holding out hope that they can re-instate the Russian team in the event there is a ceasefire agreement?

Even FIFA can't be that crass. A ceasefire is only the first baby step on a very long road to redemption for the Russians. They won't be playing football against anyone else for a long time.

As to Poland's game, the result is normally that the game is forfeited to a 3-0 score.

mke717spotter

Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:56 am

scbriml wrote:
Yeah, those decisions were clearly all about the football. :sarcastic:

I was pretty clear that I didn't think it was ONLY about football. All I'm saying is that there was a clear opportunity to seize an advantage. As far as those three football teams are concerned, it worked out very conveniently for them.

scbriml wrote:
Even FIFA can't be that crass. A ceasefire is only the first baby step on a very long road to redemption for the Russians. They won't be playing football against anyone else for a long time.

As to Poland's game, the result is normally that the game is forfeited to a 3-0 score.

Russia is now appealing the ban.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/russia-rus/ ... uspensions

The RFU said in a statement that it would file one lawsuit against the two governing bodies to demand that Russian men's and women's national teams be allowed to compete.

"The RFU will demand the restoration of all men's and women's national teams of Russia in all types of football in the tournaments in which they took part (including in the qualifying round of the World Cup in Qatar), as well as compensation for damage," the RFU said.

"In order to ensure the possibility of the participation of Russian teams in the next scheduled matches, the RFU will insist on an expedited procedure for considering the case."

scbriml

Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:32 pm

mke717spotter wrote:

They can appeal it all they want. Nobody of any repute will play them and they won't be able to travel to many places outside Russia that matters from a footballing perspective.

lightsaber

Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:45 pm

scbriml wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:

They can appeal it all they want. Nobody of any repute will play them and they won't be able to travel to many places outside Russia that matters from a footballing perspective.

I'd phrase that differently; if Russia is allowed to compete, the world championship would still be played, just under a new organization where those teams of repute would join.

Lightsaber

flyingclrs727

Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:47 am

scbriml wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:

Even if people wanted to travel to Russia for for football matches, getting there is pretty much impossible due to being cut off from the international financial system. No Russian airline wlll send planes out of the country due to being cut off from the financial system and the threat of their planes being repossed. No airlines from Europe will fly to Russia, because lack of demand and inability to get insurance companies to cover planes going to Russia. They also won't write travel insurance to travel to Russia.