Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusCheerlead
Topic Author

Freedom convoy for Ukraine?

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:37 pm

It seems a stupid idea. I posted it in the invasion thread and nobody answered, but please forgive me for a second try.

What would happen if 100'000 Europeans would jump in there cars and drive to the Ukrainian front line and block the streets as human shields and demand the end of the war.

I'm a 42 year old Swiss citizen, have no social media followers, but with a friend we are willing to make the drive...

Do you think a huge popular movement would stand a chance against Putin? Do you think Russian soldiers would make a blood bath if faced by 1000s of unarmed Europeans protesting the war?

If you think the idea has a little chance of success, do you have ideas how we could start a movement fast?

I feel helpless in front of the plight of the Ukrainian people (and Russians opposed to the war)...

Beat regard and RIP to all the souls tragically lost in a useless war,
Jonas

phugoid1982

Re: Freedom convoy for Ukraine?

Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:20 pm

It's not a stupid idea. It's incredibly admirable and eventhough I feel Putin has obviously grown more desperate and lost any shred of humanity, I highly doubt the majority of soldiers would be able to indiscriminately kill so many many civilians, especially Europeans. There are so many reports of soldiers being demoralized and angry that they were lied to that this was a "training exercise". Either way I hope the bloodshed ends soon.

Exrampieyyz

Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:27 pm

That is a great idea! Logistically impossible with fuel and food needs in a war zone but still a great idea.
At least this would be a real protest for freedom, not like those whining baby's in Ottawa. Waa, I can't go to a bar cause I'm not vaxed.
Ukrainians are heros. Wish the west could support them more.
And the poor Russians who get thrown in jail if 2 or more people carry a protest sign.
North American freedom convoy's. What a joke

Aesma

Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:57 pm

There are individual people going to fight. I heard of several of them on French radio. I'm sure the same is happening in other European countries.

Probably not 10000, but in guerilla warfare, every (wo)man counts.

AirbusCheerlead
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:11 pm

Aesma wrote:
There are individual people going to fight. I heard of several of them on French radio. I'm sure the same is happening in other European countries.

Probably not 10000, but in guerilla warfare, every (wo)man counts.

I must confess that I'm not ready to get killed or kill someone!

But among 1000s of unarmed people I would take the risk to take a stand for peace.
But since I have no idea how to find 1000s of people willing to come with me, my idea will probably die here...

Sorry to the Ukrainian people that I'm much more talk than action,
Jonas

alfa164

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:52 pm

I would love to see those overweight husky, fat-assed muscular malcontents patriots get off their butts driver's seats and head towards a fight that is really worth fighting. "Putin vs. the Truckers" would be a documentary I would love to watch!

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:44 am

AirbusCheerlead wrote:
It seems a stupid idea. I posted it in the invasion thread and nobody answered, but please forgive me for a second try.

What would happen if 100'000 Europeans would jump in there cars and drive to the Ukrainian front line and block the streets as human shields and demand the end of the war.

I'm a 42 year old Swiss citizen, have no social media followers, but with a friend we are willing to make the drive...

Do you think a huge popular movement would stand a chance against Putin? Do you think Russian soldiers would make a blood bath if faced by 1000s of unarmed Europeans protesting the war?

If you think the idea has a little chance of success, do you have ideas how we could start a movement fast?

I feel helpless in front of the plight of the Ukrainian people (and Russians opposed to the war)...

Jonas

You would just get in the way.

My friend who is in Kyiv says the Ukrainian government is waiving visas for anyone who will come to fight.

Send and post it everywhere - novisas to UKRAINE for any volunteering soldiers. DECREE signed. you can come and fight too : ) ANY NAVY YOU KNOW and ANY PILOTS and ANY SUPER SOLDIERS ARE WELCOME TO STOP PUTIN!
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:49 am

alfa164 wrote:
I would love to see those overweight husky, fat-assed muscular malcontents patriots get off their butts driver's seats and head towards a fight that is really worth fighting. "Putin vs. the Truckers" would be a documentary I would love to watch!

Spotted on Twitter: 50-something fatty from Texas bragging on video about having traveled to fight on the Russian side

alfa164

Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:30 am

Aaron747 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Spotted on Twitter: 50-something fatty from Texas bragging on video about having traveled to fight on the Russian side

Might have been Ted Cruz...

;)

davidjohnson6

Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:48 am

AirbusCheerlead wrote:

Jonas

Have you ever played the computer game Lemmings ?
If not, I'll explain - it sounds like 100,000 people queuing up to commit suicide all in the interests of perceived self-martyrdom

- To the Russian army, you would be nothing more than an initially amusing, eventually tedious, bit of target practice
- The Ukrainians would see 100,000 dead bodies as a serious health risk to the local water supply and likely to cause a terrible smell while your body rotted. They won't however be wanting to risk being shot just to bury the bodies of some over pious idiots
- The rats, maggots and other animals that feast on dead bodies left out in the open would be quite happy to eat your flesh though

c933103

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:38 am

I would be a bit worried about how it might disrupt Ukrainian military logistic, as well as how easy could such movement be infiltrated for information, or even be infiltrated to lead them toward directions that help Russian military advance.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
- To the Russian army, you would be nothing more than an initially amusing, eventually tedious, bit of target practice

Such movement could also be used by Russia as evident of NATO interfering in the war and to push the propaganda and narrative that NATO is pushing Ukraine, despite Ukraine didn't actually received NATO help (Given how countries often organize "Voluntary corps" when they want to help out but not actually involving in wars)

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

I hope he with gets killed in Ukraine or it subject to arrest to stand trial in the Hague for war crimes. He will have a Hell of a time traveling back to Texas. Aeroflot can't fly anywhere in Europe, the US or Canada.

N1120A

Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:37 pm

Hey, if that group of whiners too scared of a tiny gauge needle wants to drive their rigs straight into the Russian convoy, I'm happy to send them.

GDB

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:06 am

N1120A wrote:
Hey, if that group of whiners too scared of a tiny gauge needle wants to drive their rigs straight into the Russian convoy, I'm happy to send them.

Given who most of them seemed to support and be egged on by in the West, the latter being Putin allies like Trump, LePen, Farage etc, they would be supporting ‘the enemy’, plus as you say, bunch of selfish whiners, hard to see them doing anything like say humanitarian relief.

Redd

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:29 am

GDB wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Given who most of them seemed to support and be egged on by in the West, the latter being Putin allies like Trump, LePen, Farage etc, they would be supporting ‘the enemy’, plus as you say, bunch of selfish whiners, hard to see them doing anything like say humanitarian relief.

Actually being a person providing humanitarian relief and helping refugees, I can tell you that the people involved are can in no way be characterized by their political beliefs. People from all sides of the political spectrum are involved and getting along, and it's nice to see for a change.

If any of you actually want to make yourself useful, please drive over to any border and volunteer to drive families, (usually women with children) to temporary homes we've been finding for them. There is still a big need for that, people are still flooding across the border.

Feels good to do something more than talk and criticize people. ;)

Edited: In all seriousness, we're looking for families outside of Poland that can take women with children into their homes. We're running out of space here, the organizer I'm working with (A Texan btw) has placed refugees into hundred's of homes already. Since more people are coming, we're looking at moving people on to Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and even further out if interested.

The basic requirements are a spare room and a separate bathroom for the families. Many of them are coming with their pets, so there is also that issue. If you're willing to help, get in touch with me and I'll put you in touch with the main organizer. Anyone willing, the help is very appreciated and needed!
Last edited by Redd on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GDB

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:47 am

Redd wrote:
GDB wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Actually being a person providing humanitarian relief and helping refugees, I can tell you that the people involved are can in no way be characterized by their political beliefs. People from all sides of the political spectrum are involved and getting along, and it's nice to see for a change.

If any of you actually want to make yourself useful, please drive over to any border and volunteer to drive families, (usually women with children) to temporary homes we've been finding for them. There is still a big need for that, people are still flooding across the border.

I know that, be impossible or at least very dangerous to do that job if they were.
That’s not who the ‘Freedom From......errr...Whatever Convoy’ was though was it.
There have been huge queues at Ukrainian and Polish embassies and centers here in London and across the UK, donating aid such as clothing, blankets etc.
If you must know, Yesterday I went to the Ukrainian Embassy in London, people outside donating, some young men in camouflage and backpacks likely preparing to go and fight, using public transport and though generally fit 22 years of Rheumatoid Arthritis did limit the amount of surplus clothing I could carry.

Redd

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:48 am

GDB wrote:
Redd wrote:
GDB wrote:

I know that, be impossible or at least very dangerous to do that job if they were.
That’s not who the ‘Freedom From......errr...Whatever Convoy’ was though was it.
There have been huge queues at Ukrainian and Polish embassies and centers here in London and across the UK, donating aid such as clothing, blankets etc.
If you must know, Yesterday I went to the Ukrainian Embassy in London, people outside donating, some young men in camouflage and backpacks likely preparing to go and fight, using public transport and though generally fit 22 years of Rheumatoid Arthritis did limit the amount of surplus clothing I could carry.

Just thought I'd add my edit to keep it current.

Edited: In all seriousness, we're looking for families outside of Poland that can take women with children into their homes. We're running out of space here, the organizer I'm working with (A Texan btw) has placed refugees into hundred's of homes already. Since more people are coming, we're looking at moving people on to Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and even further out if interested.

The basic requirements are a spare room and a separate bathroom for the families. Many of them are coming with their pets, so there is also that issue. If you're willing to help, get in touch with me and I'll put you in touch with the main organizer. Anyone willing, the help is very appreciated and needed!

Redd

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:52 am

GDB wrote:
Yesterday I went to the Ukrainian Embassy in London, people outside donating, some young men in camouflage and backpacks likely preparing to go and fight, using public transport and though generally fit 22 years of Rheumatoid Arthritis did limit the amount of surplus clothing I could carry.

Awesome. The more people helping out, the better!

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:03 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

I hope he with gets killed in Ukraine or it subject to arrest to stand trial in the Hague for war crimes. He will have a Hell of a time traveling back to Texas. Aeroflot can't fly anywhere in Europe, the US or Canada.

The US and it’s citizens aren’t subject to the ICC since they aren’t signatories to the Rome Statute. Bush even signed into law the American Servicemembers Protection Act of 2002, the law authorizes the use of military force to liberate any American being held by the court, which is located in The Hague.

flyingclrs727

Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:34 am

Kiwirob wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The US and it’s citizens aren’t subject to the ICC since they aren’t signatories to the Rome Statute. Bush even signed into law the American Servicemembers Protection Act of 2002, the law authorizes the use of military force to liberate any American being held by the court, which is located in The Hague.

Well other countries could be involved. The US doesn't have to be the ones pressing for the ICC to be involved.

VolvoBus

Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:06 pm

Exrampieyyz

Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:11 pm

AirbusCheerlead wrote:

Jonas

Sorry I started a new thread and it was really stared by you, so just want to give credit where credit is due.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1471101

bennett123

Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Who else has immunity from the ICC?.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:02 am

bennett123 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

India, China, Libya, Iraq, Yemen, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Qatar...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_pa ... inal_Court

flyingclrs727

Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:02 am

bennett123 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

There were war crimes trials before the ICC. They can be done again.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:28 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

There were war crimes trials before the ICC. They can be done again.

The ICC is the process. If there can be war trials brought from outside of the process then Israel, the US and a few others should be worried.