Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GDB

Re: Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Oscars

Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:30 am

ACDC8 wrote:
My Lord, dude slaps a guy and its like the crime of the century.

In a country that totally lost it’s shit when a nipple got very briefly exposed during some silly show, that is just a break in a much watched sport itself made up of many breaks?
Aside from that, isn’t it just another Oscars screw up, alongside wrong winners in wrong envelopes (someone had just ONE job), some of the other ‘controversies’ and the aforementioned retention of awards by the likes of Polsnski, Weinstein etc.

scbriml

Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:16 am

GDB wrote:
In a country that totally lost it’s shit when a nipple got very briefly exposed during some silly show

Heck, it wasn't even a naked nipple!

ACDC8

Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:36 am

LOL, nipplegate - totally forgot about that :rotfl:

Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 am

GDB wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
My Lord, dude slaps a guy and its like the crime of the century.

In a country that totally lost it’s shit when a nipple got very briefly exposed during some silly show, that is just a break in a much watched sport itself made up of many breaks?
Aside from that, isn’t it just another Oscars screw up, alongside wrong winners in wrong envelopes (someone had just ONE job), some of the other ‘controversies’ and the aforementioned retention of awards by the likes of Polsnski, Weinstein etc.

As the saying goes, "any publicity is good publicity".....

ltbewr

Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:23 pm

Will Smith's resignation was likely a combination of hard recommendations by his agent, publicity persons, lawyers and realizing he went too far in his reaction to a joke of bad taste. As I have suggested before, I suspect Will Smith may have difficulty in getting some acting opportunities and big paydays in the next several years. As to the Academy not following up with removing Will Smith from the premises, that would have been a even bigger mess as was nominated and did win for Best (Male) Actor and it would have look 'racist' if not there to accept it.

The Academy and other organizations in entertainment are facing a changing world. They are seen as far less relevant to many, being challenged as to their lack of or to some 'too much' ethnic, racial and gender diversity, political biases, failing to acknowledge the obscene sexual abuse of too many in the industry in the past as well as corruption of voters, power plays by studios and their leaders. The 'Golden Globes' awards and organization is effectively gone from any relevancy due to those issues. The internet has meant no longer do you have to watch a fixed time program to see the stars. The shift over the last 40 years from only being able to see a movie at a fixed theater to VCR tape, DVD's, Cable channels, shifts to digital from film and most recently streaming has changed the industry and viewing habits of consumers. Growing numbers of productions of movies and TV have shifted from 'Hollywood' to elsewhere due to high costs and technology no longer needing to be based in the LA area. More movies also have to be 'politically correct' literally to be shown in China and other countries. No longer can the 'bad guy' be Asian, Middle Eastern or African.

I suspect the Oscars show will continue its decline, less of interest to major sponsors as see less value in it. Will Smith's act may be just one more and well remembered step in the decline in the Oscars relevance.

santi319

Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:08 pm

Finally we can cancel Will Smith! I waited my whole life for this, he’s the fakest of the fake..

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:42 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
Aunt Viv was always good at keeping the Fresh Prince in line.. where is she when you need her!

Smith ruined the career of the first Aunt Viv Janet Hubert.

https://bestlifeonline.com/will-smith-j ... feud-news/

QF7

Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:02 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The Academy and other organizations in entertainment are facing a changing world. They are seen as far less relevant to many, being challenged as to their lack of or to some 'too much' ethnic, racial and gender diversity, political biases, failing to acknowledge the obscene sexual abuse of too many in the industry in the past as well as corruption of voters, power plays by studios and their leaders.

Yes. Hollywood wants to have its cake and eat it too. Chris Rock should be able to say whatever he wants to because, well, creative freedom. And heaven forfend any of the rest of us might have to self-restrain ourselves a bit because certain things are not as acceptable as they once were. But at the same time we are all woke and must perforce be against anything and anybody who is not similarly woke.

So which is it? Total freedom to mock conditions that are not chosen (such as alopecia) or abhorrence of discrimination against conditions that are also not chosen (such as gender identity)?

Aaron747

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:05 am

QF7 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The Academy and other organizations in entertainment are facing a changing world. They are seen as far less relevant to many, being challenged as to their lack of or to some 'too much' ethnic, racial and gender diversity, political biases, failing to acknowledge the obscene sexual abuse of too many in the industry in the past as well as corruption of voters, power plays by studios and their leaders.

Yes. Hollywood wants to have its cake and eat it too. Chris Rock should be able to say whatever he wants to because, well, creative freedom. And heaven forfend any of the rest of us might have to self-restrain ourselves a bit because certain things are not as acceptable as they once were. But at the same time we are all woke and must perforce be against anything and anybody who is not similarly woke.

Seems like a bit of conflation there. Chris Rock is an entertainer - specifically, comedian. They are a known commodity and offense is to be expected. Offense is not expected - or productive - in the workplace, and that's why the rest of us have to self-restrain in such environments. At the company policy level, it's less about being 'woke' and more about being operationally aware that opinions are wider and divisions stronger than in the past, and discouraging behavior and conversations that bring those issues to the fore where they don't belong.

QF7

Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:14 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Seems like a bit of conflation there. Chris Rock is an entertainer - specifically, comedian. They are a known commodity and offense is to be expected. Offense is not expected - or productive - in the workplace, and that's why the rest of us have to self-restrain in such environments.

That’s a fair point but it also underscores a deep irony.

Hollywood, or all of the entertainment industry really, is a workplace subject to standards of self-restraint (or just plain old fashioned good behavior if you prefer.)

The product of that workplace is various forms of art, be it films or jokes or song lyrics or whatever. Art in both practice and the law is almost completely unconstrained.

So the irony is for example a film set where normal standards of workplace behavior are expected, and the product of that workplace may be a film depicting extreme violence. Which is ok because it is art. And we might give an Oscar to that movie depicting horrific violence but then people have a meltdown over a real life slap on stage. While giving a free pass to the art that led to the slap, when that same remark would not be deemed acceptable in a workplace if said to a co-worker.

A question that hasn’t been asked yet: is the Academy Awards broadcast a workplace or an expression of art or both? What behavior standards apply?

LCDFlight

Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:29 am

I think Will Smith will suffer no ill effects. He's an "artist" so this only enhances his credibility. Few people could slap Chris Rock and get away with it, but Will Smith (prompted and controlled by Jada, his reportedly narcissistic wife) will get away with it.

scbriml

Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:
Aunt Viv was always good at keeping the Fresh Prince in line.. where is she when you need her!

Still no sign of him losing his Oscar, despite all that Twitter and Tok Tok "outrage".

Aaron747

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:

Still no sign of him losing his Oscar, despite all that Twitter and Tok Tok "outrage".

It won’t happen. See Roman Polanski in 2003.

PixelPilot

Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:20 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I don’t think the Oscar itself even should be in question.
He got it for his performance which many people decided was worthy of that statue.

CitizenJustin

Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:14 pm

SESGDL wrote:
I know it’s apparently real but seemed so staged to me. He was laughing at the joke then stands up and very weakly hits Chris Rock, who barely flinches and has no visible signs of being hit. And they let Smith just proceed to sit down and then win the Oscar and start a speech about playing someone who “protected” his family. I don’t know. Extremely well acted if it was staged, but seemed like too much of a coincidence.

Jeremy

He laughed, saw Jada get pissed, and then that’s when he decided it wasn’t funny. Did you not see Jada give him that “oh hell no” look after he laughed?

CitizenJustin

Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:18 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

He got it for his performance which many people decided was worthy of that statue.

It’s ok to separate the art from the artist in my opinion. Imagine if we judged all art by the artists behavior? The Louvre would suddenly have piles of masterpieces in the dumpster. Humans are allowed to be imperfect.

scbriml

Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:00 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It’s ok to separate the art from the artist in my opinion. Imagine if we judged all art by the artists behavior? The Louvre would suddenly have piles of masterpieces in the dumpster. Humans are allowed to be imperfect.

Absolutely, it was KiwiRob that claimed the outrage on Twitter and Tik Tok would cost Smith his Oscar.

CitizenJustin

Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Absolutely, it was KiwiRob that claimed the outrage on Twitter and Tik Tok would cost Smith his Oscar.

He says a lot of things lol. We all do. We need to remember that it’s easy to sit in the comfort of our home and judge others. I’m sure there’s plenty of people here who wouldn’t be very happy if some comic laughed at their partners condition in front of millions of people worldwide.

Drafran

Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:03 pm

I don't see how it got ratings. Did millions suddenly decide to tune in after the fact? Unlikely. Besides, it will all be forgotten by next year's telecast.

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:24 am

scbriml wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

He didn’t lose it but he’s no longer a member of the academy, he’s been dropped from a number of projects and I think more shit will be piled on him in the near future. Basically he’s cancelled, he can join the cancelled club and have morning tea and play tennis with Spacey.

ACDC8

Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:17 am

Smith will be in future movies - Spacey is getting back into cinema with a role in an Italian production, only a matter of time before he gets a role here.

Funny how we celebrate artists that made mistakes before they got famous but when they reach stardom, we hold them to some ridiculous standard of behaviour.

As for Smith, seriously, it was a freakin' slap.

GDB

Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:12 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Smith will be in future movies - Spacey is getting back into cinema with a role in an Italian production, only a matter of time before he gets a role here.

Funny how we celebrate artists that made mistakes before they got famous but when they reach stardom, we hold them to some ridiculous standard of behaviour.

As for Smith, seriously, it was a freakin' slap.

Spacey seems to prove that 5 years is an age in Hollywood.
As for just being a slap, apparently the LAPD did ask Rock if he wanted to press assault charges, he said to leave it.

scbriml

Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:42 am

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

He didn’t lose it but he’s no longer a member of the academy, he’s been dropped from a number of projects and I think more shit will be piled on him in the near future. Basically he’s cancelled, he can join the cancelled club and have morning tea and play tennis with Spacey.

He'll be back and he'll still have his Oscar. Twitter and Tik Tok can cry all they want.

ACDC8

Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:13 am

GDB wrote:
[
As for just being a slap, apparently the LAPD did ask Rock if he wanted to press assault charges, he said to leave it.

In other words, much ado about nothing.

GDB

Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:35 am

ACDC8 wrote:
GDB wrote:
[

In other words, much ado about nothing.

But the LAPD did see it as assault, of course if the victim, famous or not, does not want to press charges that’s it.
That would not be the case I presume for a more violent assault. The sort that would cause injuries or worse.

As for Spacey, a bit of a risk if the audience for his new project is not prepared to forgive.

ACDC8

Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:54 am

GDB wrote:
But the LAPD did see it as assault, of course if the victim, famous or not, does not want to press charges that’s it.
That would not be the case I presume for a more violent assault. The sort that would cause injuries or worse.

Doesn't matter what the LAPD see's it as, if it was a crime, he would have been charged.
GDB wrote:
As for Spacey, a bit of a risk if the audience for his new project is not prepared to forgive.

Why is it a risk? If his career rebounds, it rebounds, if it doesn't then it doesn't. Countless celebrities have fallen from grace, and they come back.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:51 pm

https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/ ... 1235226438

Academy Board Sets Earlier Meeting to Discuss “Possible Sanctions” for Will Smith Following Resignation

"It is in the best interest of all involved for this to be handled in a timely fashion," Academy president David Rubin wrote.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235126481/

So, I guess the "wrist slap" date has been moved up...

GDB

Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:36 am

ACDC8 wrote:
GDB wrote:

Doesn't matter what the LAPD see's it as, if it was a crime, he would have been charged.
GDB wrote:

Why is it a risk? If his career rebounds, it rebounds, if it doesn't then it doesn't. Countless celebrities have fallen from grace, and they come back.

I was just quoting a LAPD source, what’s so hard to understand? Are they lying, can you read their collective minds?
As for the other, got any clue how much a major production costs?
Always a risk if an audience does not take to a new production for any number of reasons, putting a toxic actor in one just adds to that risk. Maybe it’s low budget, low key.

CitizenJustin

Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:35 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

I thought Spacey was cleared? Didn’t it come out that the men were lying? Maybe I’m thinking of someone else.

scbriml

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Will Smith has been banned from the Oscars Gala for ten years. He's also banned from any other Academy events. He will, though, still be eligible to receive awards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61018821

ltbewr

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:52 pm

scbriml wrote:
Will Smith has been banned from the Oscars Gala for ten years. He's also banned from any other Academy events. He will, though, still be eligible to receive awards.

That is likely as far as the academy can go for now and does send a message. To me the real punishment that should happen to him will be losing out on acting jobs, especially at the monies he got. He might see greater difficulty in being nominated for any award in the future. I suspect, as I have said before, that future Oscar ceremonies will be carefully scripted by presenters and entertainers during it to prevent potential conflicts, improved security to control anyone not authorized to be on or near the stage, and for all broadcast feeds, a delay with tighter controls to prevent showing of any such acts, profanity and inappropriate political remarks.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:10 pm

Academy Bans Will Smith From Oscars for 10 Years

https://variety.com/2022/awards/news/os ... 235228010/

The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:51 pm

ltbewr wrote:
scbriml wrote:

That is likely as far as the academy can go for now and does send a message. To me the real punishment that should happen to him will be losing out on acting jobs, especially at the monies he got. He might see greater difficulty in being nominated for any award in the future. I suspect, as I have said before, that future Oscar ceremonies will be carefully scripted by presenters and entertainers during it to prevent potential conflicts, improved security to control anyone not authorized to be on or near the stage, and for all broadcast feeds, a delay with tighter controls to prevent showing of any such acts, profanity and inappropriate political remarks.

I think, that as years roll by, even less and less people will be tuning into "The Oscars" .... The bump in viewership this year is still far from what could be called a rebound.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:37 pm

scbriml wrote:

So basically it's nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Aaron747

Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:45 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

What do you expect? Again, see Roman Polanski. Can’t set foot in the US for never facing up in court as a predator, can still receive Oscars.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Plus a huge cut in income, he’s been dropped from projects at Sony and Netflix, more will follow and he won’t be considered for roles.

slider

Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:15 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
I think Will Smith will suffer no ill effects. He's an "artist" so this only enhances his credibility. Few people could slap Chris Rock and get away with it, but Will Smith (prompted and controlled by Jada, his reportedly narcissistic wife) will get away with it.

He'll lay low for a while, then have a well crafted image campaign to bring him back on some apology tour. He already went to an "anger management" camp, so the optics are already in play...

LCDFlight

Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:24 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Plus a huge cut in income, he’s been dropped from projects at Sony and Netflix, more will follow and he won’t be considered for roles.

Haha Hollywood isn’t exactly known for morality. This is nothing. Read about Bryan Singer! There are a thousand Jeffrey Epsteins in Hollywood too. Harvey Weinstein was ONE. Kevin Spacey, Bill Cosby, etc etc. Roman Polanski, as mentioned. This group of people is mostly horrified that people will catch THEM. They’re not worried about Will Smith hitting another rich man.

LittleFokker

Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:12 pm

This morning, I listened to the podcast "Black On The Air" hosted by Larry Wilmore. In the first 15 mins of the episode titled Bomani Jones - his featured guest this week, Larry gives his thoughts on the whole situation and really summed it up better than any other opinion I've heard in the aftermath. Hard to paraphrase it properly, but he basically surmised that Will is fighting some kind of inner demon that caused him to snap and express it at that moment. Larry expressed sympathy for whatever battle Will was fighting, but he suspects that is what is occurring. He explains it in better detail, so I highly recommend listening to it.

As for the 10 year suspension from the Oscars, that feels like the right punishment. This is but one of many tests of the whole "separating the art from the artist" concept. Might be the first time the offending behavior occurred this close to the presentation of the award, so it was hard for people to properly process the situation with an appropriate reaction at the moment. But if the Academy isn't going to go back in time and ask other shitty people to give back their Oscars, no reason to ask Will to give up his.

NIKV69

Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:54 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I get the feeling this will only be temporary.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:02 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I get the feeling this will only be temporary.

Even if so, losing million$ is not chump change at his age with his expenses.

Aesma

Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:25 am

ltbewr wrote:
scbriml wrote:

He should also be tarred and feathered, then lynched, as proper for a slap.

NIKV69

Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:01 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Will Smith is not a fool he has plenty of money to live on. Like I said in a years time he will be back working since his work will get the most viewership.

Aaron747

Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:22 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Will Smith is not a fool he has plenty of money to live on.

Easy assumption to make when not married to JPS.

william

Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 am

Banned for 10 years, and I thought for sure the Academy would have Will Smith and Chris Rock present an award together next year. That would have been ratings gold.

ltbewr

Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:40 pm

I think one good thing from this attack will be attention given to the medical condition of Alopecia. It affects 3 million a year in the USA alone. It is autoimmune disorder It can be treated but it may be difficult. Losing hair from this medical condition can be embarrassing and cause psychological distress. This being discussed can encourage people to get treatment, reduce shame from having it. https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/alopecia-areata

pune

Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 am

ltbewr wrote:
I think one good thing from this attack will be attention given to the medical condition of Alopecia. It affects 3 million a year in the USA alone. It is autoimmune disorder It can be treated but it may be difficult. Losing hair from this medical condition can be embarrassing and cause psychological distress. This being discussed can encourage people to get treatment, reduce shame from having it. https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/alopecia-areata

Read the whole thing, as far differing between art and artist, dunno what people thought about George Carlin. I am sure today he would be smacked by both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqARrbi1h8

What I didn't get is how Chris Rock didn't get affected by what he said. He didn't even say sorry. Just like Alopecia, diabetes is another. My mum got diagnosed with diabetes about 6-8 months back, had diabetic feet about 2 months back, and had an amputation of part of the feet just about a week back. Now if somebody joked either about diabetes or about a diabetic foot or medical amputation, I for one would be much more violent than just a mere slap. It is supposed to take her about a month or more before she would be able to walk with a walker.

Comedy becomes mean if you target specific people, more so if they are in the audience. I know 'roasting' is nowadays the in-thing and people are supposed to have a thick skin and whatnot but not when medical conditions happen. I wouldn't want even my worst enemy to go through what my mum went through.

tomaheath

Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:35 am

Different view almost looks liked she laughed?
https://youtube.com/shorts/gbmitEqbY9Q?feature=share

Austin90

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:41 pm

You can actually fully see that she was laughing at the whole ordeal, it really must have meant nothing to her. Sad to see really.