Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Oscars

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:36 am

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/27/entertai ... index.html

Here is the joke that provoked Will Smith and his reaction uncensored:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/ ... 8531918848

He apologized shortly after. People will be talking about this for a while.

SESGDL

Re: Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Oscars

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:41 am

I know it’s apparently real but seemed so staged to me. He was laughing at the joke then stands up and very weakly hits Chris Rock, who barely flinches and has no visible signs of being hit. And they let Smith just proceed to sit down and then win the Oscar and start a speech about playing someone who “protected” his family. I don’t know. Extremely well acted if it was staged, but seemed like too much of a coincidence.

Jeremy
Last edited by SESGDL on Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pellegrine

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:56 am

SESGDL wrote:
I know it’s apparently real but seemed so staged to me. He was laughing at the joke then stands up and very weakly hits Chris Rock, who barely flinches and has no visible signs of being hit. And they let Smith just proceed to sit down and then win the Oscar and start a speech about playing someone who “protected” his family. I don’t know. Extremely well acted if it was staged, but seemed like too much or a coincidence.

Jeremy

Agree very strange.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:10 am

SESGDL wrote:
I know it’s apparently real but seemed so staged to me. He was laughing at the joke then stands up and very weakly hits Chris Rock, who barely flinches and has no visible signs of being hit. And they let Smith just proceed to sit down and then win the Oscar and start a speech about playing someone who “protected” his family. I don’t know. Extremely well acted if it was staged, but seemed like too much of a coincidence.

Jeremy

I suppose you could say it was "Oscar-worthy"?

Also, Will Smith won an Oscar? Didn't catch the broadcast, but damn...

Newark727

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:42 am

It was either this or a lesbian kiss to drive the ratings up, I guess.

LittleFokker

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:02 am

SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

I think Chris was so shocked by Will's approaching him on stage that he had no idea how to react. Comedians get a lot of practice at dealing with people talking back to them, but rarely experience getting physically assaulted during their act.

As I understand it, the primary broadcast feed muted the audio after the encounter, but according to international broadcast feeds leaked on Twitter, Smith yelled at Rock after sitting back down "keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth!" The way he said it, Smith was not joking.

Bad joke by Rock? Sure, but not bad enough to deserve that reaction.

Virtual737

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:44 am

Joke was in very bad taste and I can't blame Smith for his words. The physical assault though... he should have been ejected straight after and won nothing.

Silver1SWA

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:30 am

LittleFokker wrote:

Bad joke by Rock? Sure, but not bad enough to deserve that reaction.

This probably started a few years back when Chris Rock went hard in his monologue at Jada for boycotting the Oscars that year.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:36 am

Rock was taken aback enough that he misspoke badly even with the teleprompter on. Seems like he wasn’t expecting the reaction.

scbriml

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:16 am

SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

Pretty sure they wouldn't have scripted Smith to say "Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth!"

Aaron747 wrote:
Rock was taken aback enough that he misspoke badly even with the teleprompter on. Seems like he wasn’t expecting the reaction.

While it was a bitch-slap rather than a punch, Rock's reaction looked to be genuinely shocked by what happened. Jada Smith's face also suggests it wasn't expected.

Edmundo0

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:24 am

Nothing justify the violence!

Enviado desde mi Lenovo TB3-850F mediante Tapatalk

dragon-wings

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:46 am

If you look at the video (at 27 seconds) Will Smith is laughing at the joke. I think he saw that his wife was not happy with the joke and felt he had to do something.

ACDC8

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:51 am

Jada suffers from a condition that causes hair loss and baldness, joke was way out of line, I can totally understand Will's reaction.

Redd

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:33 am

Will's the typical good guy/nice guy, slowly losing his mind due to a super toxic woman. Poor guy's been castrated by her in public on multiple occasions, can't believe he still sticks with her. It'll be the death of him.

ACDC8 wrote:
Jada suffers from a condition that causes hair loss and baldness, joke was way out of line, I can totally understand Will's reaction.

Yeah, he, should have looked up Jada's medical records, before making a joke about her. :thumbsup:

N14AZ

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am

The joke was in deed inappropriate, especially if it’s true that she has health issues. But his reaction was inappropriate as well.

Also, I read that the Smith‘s are practicing the concept of an „open marriage“. So here he played the mighty raider, defending his wife but at the same time he has no problem to cheat her? I don’t know, something doesn’t add up…

ACDC8

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:50 am

Redd wrote:
Yeah, he, should have looked up Jada's medical records, before making a joke about her. :thumbsup:

Jada's condition has been out in the open for the last 4 years - Chris knew.
N14AZ wrote:
Also, I read that the Smith‘s are practicing the concept of an „open marriage“. So here he played the mighty raider, defending his wife but at the same time he has no problem to cheat her? I don’t know, something doesn’t add up…

Two different things, one is a mutual agreement in regards to a relationship between two people and the other is reacting to their partner receiving a comment on their physical appearance caused by a medical condition. If you watch the video where Chris delivers the joke and see Jada's reaction to it, again, I can understand it upsetting Will. Just because one has an intimate lifestyle that doesn't fall under what many people would consider being normal, doesn't mean two people don't have very strong feelings for each other.
Last edited by ACDC8 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

T54A

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 am

Maybe if we had more slaps dished out when people were out of line, we would have better behaved citizens in general. Nothing wrong with the 5 point attitude correction plan

Jalap

Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:17 am

T54A wrote:
Maybe if we had more slaps dished out when people were out of line, we would have better behaved citizens in general. Nothing wrong with the 5 point attitude correction plan

Well, I kind of agree here.
A slap isn't really an assault, is it. It doesn't inflict any damage and basically only hurts the reciever's ego. Words cannot achieve the same effect.

So, a slap should be an appropriate response to any jerk with an inflated ego, male or female, who steps out of line :)

ACDC8

Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:33 am

Jalap wrote:
T54A wrote:

Well, I kind of agree here.
A slap isn't really an assault, is it. It doesn't inflict any damage and basically only hurts the reciever's ego. Words cannot achieve the same effect.

So, a slap should be an appropriate response to any jerk with an inflated ego, male or female, who steps out of line :)

There was a news feed on Facebook earlier tonight about this - in the comments someone said "For all of you approving of this, what if it was a female comedian that made the joke, would it be OK for Will to have slapped a woman?" So someone else replied, "Well, what if Jada would have slapped her? Or better yet, what if Jada slapped Chris herself - then she would be a strong, empowering woman!" and on and on.

I was literally just watching something the other night about this, how Social Media has completely messed up our whole perception as to what we see as being right or wrong or what we support and don't support and then contradict those points because of what Social Media is trending.

GDB

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:15 pm

I have seen little of Smith’s work, tends not to be for me, nor Rock other than a comedy special aired in 1999, today when being (over) discussed on the news one of the presenters mentioned that from starting out in newspapers 50 years ago he has interviewed many celebrities, when asked by GQ a couple of years ago who was the most unpleasant one he ever had, the answer was immediate, ‘Chris Rock’, without going into details apparently he an another actor (who was fine) was promoting a film but Rock so was boorishly unpleasant considerable editing was required to make it a useable piece for broadcast.

However seeing others there squirm at commenting gives the impression that Smith, a huge star, Oscar winner and producer has a lot more influence than Rock.
Rock also chose not to file a complaint so no charges for Smith for assault.

NIKV69

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:30 pm

How was Will Smith not removed from the venue by security? I guess violence is acceptable now. What a disgrace.

Aaron747

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:37 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
How was Will Smith not removed from the venue by security? I guess violence is acceptable now. What a disgrace.

No different from a political rally where speakers encourage violence. Groupthink emboldens idiocy and acceptance of lower moral quality. Everyone in attendance of the Oscars is part of the same club and nobody's going to be the nail standing out from the board in that room. Remember how aghast they all were at Ricky Gervais's routine a few years ago?

NIKV69

Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
No different from a political rally where speakers encourage violence. Groupthink emboldens idiocy and acceptance of lower moral quality. Everyone in attendance of the Oscars is part of the same club and nobody's going to be the nail standing out from the board in that room. Remember how aghast they all were at Ricky Gervais's routine a few years ago?

Don’t bring politics into this, what club? A club where you can break the law and nothing happens? When Gervais made his jokes nobody rushed the stage and hit him and if they did they would have never made it to him. Give me a break.

alberchico
Topic Author

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:27 pm

phugoid1982

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:50 pm

Celebrity privilege. That slap seemed hard to me. Either way, I think Will Smith is a fine actor and funny but a horrible, arrogant diva as a human being. Have heard stories from friends who have been waitstaff at hotels where He and Jada stayed. Their demands were so insane like so many other actors who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play make believe. I think it's crazy how initially he took it as a joke and then after Jada looked pissed, he had to "white knight" her. Was the joke ill conceived. Probably, But his reaction was equally absurd. Had it been a non celebrity, he'd of been arrested on assault.

casinterest

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm

I wonder what the camera on the right side showed? That was a very hard swing, and the reaction was not what I would expect from such.

scbriml

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:19 pm

casinterest wrote:
I wonder what the camera on the right side showed? That was a very hard swing, and the reaction was not what I would expect from such.

It looked like an open-handed slap and not a punch.

scbriml

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:23 pm

Conservatives: He wouldn't have been killed by the police if he'd done as he was told.
Conservatives: Police shouldn't be jailed for shooting a man with a gun instead of a taser.

Same conservatives when a man slaps another man for insulting his wife: * outrage *

:rotfl:

casinterest

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:27 pm

scbriml wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It looked like an open-handed slap and not a punch.

That was still a full swing, even open handed.

Okie

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:41 pm

Due to the additional notoriety received from the incident at this year's Oscars. Alec Baldwin will be invited next year. :duck:

Okie

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:50 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

70% of men will also suffer from baldness, bald jokes are a comic mainstay. She’s balding, so freaking what! If Smith really wanted to be offended Rebel Wilson’s joke about Pinket was way more offensive.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:53 pm

N14AZ wrote:

Smith isn’t cheating on her, she’s banging other dudes and he’s letting her on account of her unusual upbringing.

Jalap

Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:59 pm

phugoid1982 wrote:
Had it been a non celebrity, he'd of been arrested on assault.

Only if that non celebrity had slapped a celebrity.
2 celebrities slapping each other, 2 non celebrities slapping each other, you won't find many getting arrested.
People slap and get slapped all the time.

I have been slapped once, unfairly because I wasn't the one who did the thing she thought deserved a slap.
As a slap survivor, I can share: no permanent injury, no trauma. Perhaps I got lucky.

GDB

Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:43 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

70% of men will also suffer from baldness, bald jokes are a comic mainstay. She’s balding, so freaking what! If Smith really wanted to be offended Rebel Wilson’s joke about Pinket was way more offensive.

But Rock did not file a complaint and I think most understand that baldness in men is not the same as it is for women, whatever you may think about it, it’s a fact.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:20 pm

Okie wrote:
Due to the additional notoriety received from the incident at this year's Oscars. Alec Baldwin will be invited next year. :duck:
Okie

Hey Chris…at least you didn’t piss off Alec Baldwin.

https://twitter.com/WatchChad/status/15 ... 4162070530

John Leguizamo Says Oscars Was TARNISHED With Will Smith and Chris Rock Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJmZOh2Nh94

Planes4you

Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:27 pm

phugoid1982 wrote:
Celebrity privilege. That slap seemed hard to me. Either way, I think Will Smith is a fine actor and funny but a horrible, arrogant diva as a human being. Have heard stories from friends who have been waitstaff at hotels where He and Jada stayed. Their demands were so insane like so many other actors who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play make believe. I think it's crazy how initially he took it as a joke and then after Jada looked pissed, he had to "white knight" her. Was the joke ill conceived. Probably, But his reaction was equally absurd. Had it been a non celebrity, he'd of been arrested on assault.

Its not celebrity privilege when both parties are famous/celebrities

PixelPilot

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:06 pm

Like it or not, agree or disagree, this was an assault in every way.
The fact that he was allowed to sit there and then take the award, fake apologise to the academy is an absolute proof how deranged and hypocritical is the US.

scbriml

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:16 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
The fact that he was allowed to sit there and then take the award, fake apologise to the academy is an absolute proof how deranged and hypocritical is the US.

Rock was bitch-slapped, it would be embarrassing for him to press charges.

PixelPilot

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:21 pm

scbriml wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

I think he handled himself very professionally.
As for will smith he should be thrown out of that place yet he was allowed to stay. This was up for the organizers to act on and they failed miserably.
Everybody in that crowd always hashtag cries about violence and anything they can put their face on yet here it is what it is.
Bunch of losers.

NIKV69

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:18 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
I think he handled himself very professionally.
As for will smith he should be thrown out of that place yet he was allowed to stay. This was up for the organizers to act on and they failed miserably.
Everybody in that crowd always hashtag cries about violence and anything they can put their face on yet here it is what it is.
Bunch of losers.

Not hard to see where the privilege lies. What a disgusting night for television and society.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:34 pm

Shannon Sharpe of ESPN explains why a slap is more insulting than a punch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YprePINGoQ

ltbewr

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:38 pm

Sadly, this confrontation overrides the attention to the winners, including Will Smith himself, and the war in Ukraine they deserve. I suspect the future Oscar (and some other award programs) are going to have carefully and thoroughly PC'd pre-scripted comments, limit time for winners and presenters to talk, be on '5 second' delay to censor any bad words, acts, unapproved political comments and wardrobe malfunctions. Conservatives and racists have more fuel for their hate of 'Hollywood' and likely fewer watching future broadcasts.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 pm

Academy Launches Formal Review of Will Smith’s Slap and ‘Condemns the Actions’

https://www.thewrap.com/academy-will-sm ... s-actions/

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has said that it condemns Will Smith slapping Chris Rock during last night’s Oscars and that it has now officially started a “formal review” of the incident.

“The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night’s show. We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law,” an Academy spokesperson said in a statement.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:47 pm

GDB wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

But Rock did not file a complaint and I think most understand that baldness in men is not the same as it is for women, whatever you may think about it, it’s a fact.

Baldness is baldness, it’s the same either way as far as I’m concerned, more women are going bald these days than ever before.

Looks the the Academy may look at stripping his award, I say go for it, he doesn’t deserve it after that childish performance.

In a statement Monday, the film academy said: "The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show. We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our bylaws, standards of conduct and California law."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/28/academy ... eview.html

ACDC8

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:50 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
70% of men will also suffer from baldness, bald jokes are a comic mainstay. She’s balding, so freaking what!

Sure bald jokes are a comic mainstay, just as fat jokes are - but they're within context, Chris took it out of that context.
Kiwirob wrote:
If Smith really wanted to be offended Rebel Wilson’s joke about Pinket was way more offensive.

Will's reaction was set by Jada's reaction to the joke, not by what people think he should be offended by.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:52 pm

scbriml wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Why would he stoop down to Smiths level, two black men fighting on stage would confirm many peoples stereotypes. I think he did the right thing, not responding to violence with violence.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:55 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
70% of men will also suffer from baldness, bald jokes are a comic mainstay. She’s balding, so freaking what!

Sure bald jokes are a comic mainstay, just as fat jokes are - but they're within context, Chris took it out of that context.
Kiwirob wrote:
If Smith really wanted to be offended Rebel Wilson’s joke about Pinket was way more offensive.

Will's reaction was set by Jada's reaction to the joke, not by what people think he should be offended by.

I don’t think anything was out of context and compared to Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes it was very mild. Comedians are going to dine out on this for years.

ACDC8

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:14 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I don’t think anything was out of context and compared to Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes it was very mild. Comedians are going to dine out on this for years.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you or I think or what this comedian said or what that comedian said - all that matters is one joke by one comedian and how it effected an individual and the reaction an individual took after seeing how that one joke by that one comedian effected the person they care very deeply about.

PixelPilot

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:23 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you or I think or what this comedian said or what that comedian said - all that matters is one joke by one comedian and how it effected an individual and the reaction an individual took after seeing how that one joke by that one comedian effected the person they care very deeply about.

Actually what matters is that the whole bunch of celebrities sat there and said nothing.
No protests, no hashtags, no male masculinity cry, no stop the violence or whatever reason they find every day to protest about.
The sit there like turds and then gave him a standing ovation.

All of it for the world to see.
Check what's trending on twitter Today and where is the discussion heading. It's coming from all races btw.

slider

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:37 pm

The Oscars got what they wanted--ratings and buzz.