Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blooc350
Topic Author

Pilot caught taking pics of FA

Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:48 pm

Posted on Twitter. A pilot was “seen” taking inappropriate pictures of a flight attendant. According to the account, he’s a Delta pilot. Was he hiding his cell phone infront of his kindle?

https://twitter.com/snailconscious1/status/1508798262953844742?s=21&t=vSLLqalCSUe2OjacO3i53w

https://twitter.com/snailconscious1/status/1508798644333518859?s=21&t=4ZRlvjohi6ZYBxhLgAAEUg

A spokesperson for Delta Air Lines said in a statement to 9Honey: "Delta is aware of the video and is investigating these allegations. Nothing is more important than creating a safe environment for all airline staff and guests."

VDemerest

Re: Pilot caught taking pics of FA

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:29 pm

The actions in this video are disturbing, unprofessional and perverse. This profession employs a fair number of oddballs, this guy included.

737MAX7

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:30 pm

How stupid do you have to be to do this in uniform? Seriously?

southwest1675

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:54 pm

Throwing his career away.

mcdu

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:57 pm

Very disturbing to represent Delta Airlines in uniform while doing something so perverse. I hope Delta finds a way to separate him from the company.

planecane

Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:28 pm

I think there is a bit of an overreaction here. What he was doing is certainly inappropriate and disrespectful but throwing around words like "perverse" and "disturbing" is a little much. Even the tweet saying he was creating an unsafe work environment is over the top.

If he had his phone down on the floor and was trying to take upskirt pictures then those words would be appropriate. If he was making lewd comments or gestures or making contact with her then those words are appropriate.

If she was a member of his crew or even if it was on another Delta flight then you could make the case that he violated Delta's sexual harassment policies. Taking a picture of a fully clothed flight attendant from another airline and not doing anything else doesn't rise to the level of "perverse" or "disturbing" or warrant losing a job.

I'm sure that thousands of passengers have done this and they wouldn't face consequences if they were caught.

WayexTDI

Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:38 pm

mcdu wrote:
Very disturbing to represent Delta Airlines in uniform while doing something so perverse. I hope Delta finds a way to separate him from the company.

Unfortunately, there are nut cases and perverts in every company; and the bigger the company, the more "chances" there is such an employee.
I hope his employer throws the book at him, if proven guilty.

zeke

Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:39 pm

blooc350 wrote:
Posted on Twitter. A pilot was “seen” taking inappropriate pictures of a flight attendant. According to the account, he’s a Delta pilot. Was he hiding his cell phone infront of his kindle?

I find it very odd someone is recording what they are recording, makes me suspect something happened before that so the person recording those videos linked was ready.

Not sure I agree with your choice of words, anyone in the cabin could have seen what was recorded.

The second link seems to show the FA walking down the isle, not placing items in the overhead.

slvrblt

Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:54 pm

planecane wrote:
I think there is a bit of an overreaction here. What he was doing is certainly inappropriate and disrespectful but throwing around words like "perverse" and "disturbing" is a little much. Even the tweet saying he was creating an unsafe work environment is over the top.

If he had his phone down on the floor and was trying to take upskirt pictures then those words would be appropriate. If he was making lewd comments or gestures or making contact with her then those words are appropriate.

If she was a member of his crew or even if it was on another Delta flight then you could make the case that he violated Delta's sexual harassment policies. Taking a picture of a fully clothed flight attendant from another airline and not doing anything else doesn't rise to the level of "perverse" or "disturbing" or warrant losing a job.

I'm sure that thousands of passengers have done this and they wouldn't face consequences if they were caught.

Agree, I don't see what the big deal is; I find it more interesting that someone is filming HIM while filming. But lots of people in the terminals too, take pictures of gate agents doing their duties, rampers loading planes, people walking around, etc. She's doing her thing, organizing stuff in the overhead bin, so what? She's not naked or in a compromising position, chill out, people.

PHLspecial

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:04 pm

slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

Agree, I don't see what the big deal is; I find it more interesting that someone is filming HIM while filming. But lots of people in the terminals too, take pictures of gate agents doing their duties, rampers loading planes, people walking around, etc. She's doing her thing, organizing stuff in the overhead bin, so what? She's not naked or in a compromising position, chill out, people.

It makes you look like creep for taking pictures in the lower area.

LX015

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:04 pm

planecane wrote:

Are you seriously trying to defend this guy's actions?

LHUSA

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:09 pm

slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

Honestly?? If his intentions were innocent, he wouldn't be blocking the camera with his Kindle. He's obviously a creep.

WayexTDI

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:14 pm

slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

Lots of people take photos of airline and airport employees on duty; very few take photos that are focused on the mid-body area, a.k.a. the groin and butt. THAT is the disturbing part.

whywhytee

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:29 pm

No, there is not an overreaction here at all. Are you trying to defend this guys actions? It’s not ok to take random, creepy pictures of young female flight attendants, and the pilot KNEW that because he was hiding his phone. He is a creep.

planecane wrote:

whywhytee

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:30 pm

Somebody is recording him so the poor girl (and possibly multiple) has proof that this creep was recording her. He obviously knew didn’t have good intentions because he was hiding his phone!

slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

enzo011

Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:51 pm

slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

There is very little defense here. It is creepy no matter how you try to justify it. If I saw a passenger in a terminal take a video from a low angle of flight attendants I would find it creepy. That fact that it is a work colleague surely makes it worse. This all just seems unseemly and weird.

scbriml

Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:42 pm

slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

This is not a good look for you guys. :shakehead:

planecane

Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:53 pm

enzo011 wrote:
slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

There is very little defense here. It is creepy no matter how you try to justify it. If I saw a passenger in a terminal take a video from a low angle of flight attendants I would find it creepy. That fact that it is a work colleague surely makes it worse. This all just seems unseemly and weird.

Creepy and deserving to be fired for being "creepy" are two different things. I said it was inappropriate for him to do but the calling for his head is an overreaction.

Also, she wasn't a work colleague. He works for Delta and she is a Frontier FA.

DoctorVenkman

Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
slvrblt wrote:
planecane wrote:

This is not a good look for you guys. :shakehead:

Seriously. Taking a non-consensual, up-close photograph of someone's private areas is completely indefensible. It is in no way comparable to someone taking a photo or video of a general setting like an airport terminal or ramp area. The people who think what that pilot did was OK should seriously examine their worldview.

DoctorVenkman

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:00 pm

planecane wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

Creepy and deserving to be fired for being "creepy" are two different things. I said it was inappropriate for him to do but the calling for his head is an overreaction.

It doesn't matter that the FA was not a Delta employee. When you wear a uniform you are representing your company whether you are on the clock or not. It'd be like a pilot drinking alcohol in uniform after their shift had ended. Not acceptable.

seat1a

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:03 pm

Weirdo.

Lighthouse

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:07 pm

It's a pretty creepy thing to do and the whole thing is just weird. Why do it in uniform, surrounded by other people in such an obvious way? You're just asking for disciplinary action. I get that there are perverts out there but let's be honest, the internet is full of attractive young ladies in skimpy uniforms if that's what you're in to. Seems like such a needless thing to do; potentially getting fired for photos which are freely available in the public domain.

DoctorVenkman

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:10 pm

Lighthouse wrote:
It's a pretty creepy thing to do and the whole thing is just weird. Why do it in uniform, surrounded by other people in such an obvious way? You're just asking for disciplinary action. I get that there are perverts out there but let's be honest, the internet is full of attractive young ladies in skimpy uniforms if that's what you're in to. Seems like such a needless thing to do; potentially getting fired for photos which are freely available in the public domain.

The whole point for these people is that they are doing something inappropriate in public. That's the thrill that these people get off on.

N1120A

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:19 pm

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that there are skeezeballs defending this behavior. This is totally unacceptable behavior and I guarantee both Delta and Frontier will take it seriously.

planecane wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

That pilot is almost certainly commuting on F9 using reciprocal benefits. That means he's in a work environment.

Karlsands

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:25 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
planecane wrote:
enzo011 wrote:

It doesn't matter that the FA was not a Delta employee. When you wear a uniform you are representing your company whether you are on the clock or not. It'd be like a pilot drinking alcohol in uniform after their shift had ended. Not acceptable.

Creepy yes, but legs are not a "private area".

Lighthouse

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:35 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
Lighthouse wrote:

The whole point for these people is that they are doing something inappropriate in public. That's the thrill that these people get off on.

You're probably right but still, why risk your job for something like that. If you're into risque liaisons with a consenting partner then fine but even then, do it away from work and out of uniform.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:36 pm

As Bad Male Behavior goes, this is not at the top of anybody's list. However, it's clearly wrong. Certainly not anything I could even begin to imagine why anybody would do.

The result here will be that he is terminated. He violated what I consider to be the Principal rule of employment. And that is, you can screw up a lot in your job and not be fired, but the moment you do anything to publicly embarrass your employer, you are gone.

I strongly suspect that principle will apply to him.

There is no way the Delta could or should even begin to defend this person or conduct. Accordingly, they're going to have to make an example out of him.

ikolkyo

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:38 pm

Some of the comments being made in here are a terrible look. Some of you need to really think about you’re saying.

NYPECO

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:39 pm

Of everywhere I've seen this incident discussed, A.net is the only place where I've seen users defending the pilot's behavior.

Flflyer83

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:41 pm

planecane wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

Tell me your a commercial airline pilot without telling me your a commercial airline pilot…

manny

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:43 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
Some of the comments being made in here are a terrible look. Some of you need to really think about you’re saying.

Really ? So we should stop calling this weird pervert, a weird pervert.

Than. pray do tell us, what should we call him ?

ikolkyo

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:52 pm

manny wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Really ? So we should stop calling this weird pervert, a weird pervert.

Than. pray do tell us, what should we call him ?

Oh no I fully agree with that! It's the comments of people saying this isn't a big deal that are my issue.

proudavgeek

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:02 pm

mcdu wrote:

I think he got fired!, very well deserved...

kameleonten

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:04 pm

Not going into the morality or speculation of what he did (which plenty of other users have above) - is what he did illegal? He is photographing externally visible, clothed body parts of a flight attendant in a public space (an aircraft) performing her work duties. There are a lot of arguments as to why he is or is not a creep and I am not making any conclusion as to that part but I am curious to know what the law says here. If he would be photographing her (full body) while doing a safety announcement, that is perfectly legal I presume (otherwise all the users photographing and filming the many events on aircraft that keep being posted on here and other places daily would be breaking the law). If he zooms in on her private parts while making that same safety announcement the case can certainly be made that he is a creep but is there a legal difference? If not, Delta could be the ones in legal trouble for wrongful termination if they let him go based on this (unless their employee manual has a hard or soft statement prohibiting these kind of actions when on duty/in uniform).

WayexTDI

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:06 pm

planecane wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

That's even worse: he could be charged for criminal actions, and being fired from Delta will be the least of his problems.

johns624

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:11 pm

He looks relatively young to be a captain. Could he work for one of the regionals?

wjcandee

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:14 pm

Hmmm...the person filming the pilot also filmed the same "backside" of the f/a, and then posted video of that backside on Twitter. So now everybody can see it, not just the "creepy" pilot.

Difference? Intent?

If the subject were a naked kid splashing around in a kiddie pool, rather than a fully-clothed worker, BOTH videographers arguably could be in trouble.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holczakker

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Do any of you know pilots? This level of 'wierd-perverse-ness' is nothing.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:19 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
That's even worse: he could be charged for criminal actions.

I'm asking this seriously: what state or federal law do you think he violated? And if he did, would the person filming him, who recorded the same backside and then posted it on Twitter, also have committed an illegal act? I just can't think of one right now.

Lighthouse

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:26 pm

holczakker wrote:
Do any of you know pilots? This level of 'wierd-perverse-ness' is nothing.

Yes and I don't think it's fair to make sweeping statements like that any more than it would be to say that female flight attendants are 'easy' just because you might have heard a few stories.

Lighthouse

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:29 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Hmmm...the person filming the pilot also filmed the same "backside" of the f/a, and then posted video of that backside on Twitter. So now everybody can see it, not just the "creepy" pilot.

Difference? Intent?

If the subject were a naked kid splashing around in a kiddie pool, rather than a fully-clothed worker, BOTH videographers arguably could be in trouble.

I've no idea as to what the legal difference would be between the two videos but the moral difference in purpose/intent is fairly obvious. To what extent any decency laws have been violated I don't know, but he wasn't taking these pictures to study the stitch-work technique on her skirt.

sldispatcher

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:39 pm

You know, I don’t think what he did was appropriate. But my question is this whole firing/expelling/cancel mindset that we have gotten ourselves into.

If you really look at where corporate compliance and guidelines have gotten to, no one can survive in a completely rigid system of no opportunity for educating and learning from a mistake.

A perfect example is showing up late for work. We have some employees who have one vehicle, two wage earners, 3 kids. I’d rather work to help them find a solution than fire them for trying to come to work.

On top of that, the person capturing the video clearly stated she saw other images on his phone. If she was on a business trip, could she possibly have violated her own company’s policy regarding privacy of electronic devices, other people’s private cell phone/electronic data? There just is no end.

Zero tolerance is the mindset that has us divided and in trouble now as it is.

Again, it wasn’t right. But to just haul off and fire the guy….is that who we are now? If the camera operator violated anything, should she be fired?
Last edited by sldispatcher on Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumbojettony

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:49 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
You know, I don’t think what he did was appropriate. But my question is this whole firing/expelling/cancel mindset that we have gotten ourselves into.

If you really look at where corporate compliance and guidelines have gotten to, no one can survive in a completely rigid system of no opportunity for educating and learning from a mistake.

A perfect example is showing up late for work. We have some employees who have one vehicle, two wage earners, 3 kids. I’d rather work to help them find a solution than fire them for trying to come to work.

On top of that, the person capturing the video clearly stated she saw other images on his phone. If she was on a business trip, could she possibly have violated her own company’s policy regarding privacy of electronic devices, other people’s private cell phone/electronic data? There just is no end.

Again, it wasn’t right. But to just haul off and fire the guy….is that who we are now? If the camera operator violated anything, should she be fired?

I feel like the difference between showing up late for work and taking a inappropriate video of another person regardless of gender or employer position is pretty obvious. Having the same punishment for the two would make no sense to me. In this day and age it should be very obvious that what the pilot was doing was wrong and clearly he knew that since he was hiding it. There is a point to be made about cancel culture but I feel like this isn't the situation.

whywhytee

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:00 pm

There is a difference between showing up late for work and violating someone’s privacy by taking secret inappropriate pictures of them

sldispatcher wrote:

DoctorVenkman

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:00 pm

sldispatcher wrote:

Are you seriously comparing someone taking a clandestine video of a woman's rear end with a parent being unintentionally late to work because of their kids? They are not remotely comparable.

piedmontf284000

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:03 pm

wjcandee wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

I'm asking this seriously: what state or federal law do you think he violated? And if he did, would the person filming him, who recorded the same backside and then posted it on Twitter, also have committed an illegal act? I just can't think of one right now.

There is none. The Supreme Court struck down a law of illegal videotaping (2014) UNLESS where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. It was found that it violated a person’s first amendment right. Therefore this setting does not comply. It is no different then taking videos of people on the train, bus, or in a park that we see all too often. Both the pilot and person filming him have done nothing wrong in terms of criminal law. Whether the pilot is terminated or punished by his company is a different story. They might have rules in place indicating behavior while in uniform and/or off duty. It is very hard though to show malice in terms of the pilot filming. He could contend that he was taking videos of the FA of what he believed to be issues with her conduct/work ethic and that he covered it up to keep her from realizing she was being videotaped. Was it more sinister and perverse in nature? Possibly, but it has to stand the litmus test of actual intent on his part and not just reasonable belief.

jetwet1

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:17 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

There is none. The Supreme Court struck down a law of illegal videotaping (2014) UNLESS where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. It was found that it violated a person’s first amendment right. Therefore this setting does not comply. It is no different then taking videos of people on the train, bus, or in a park that we see all too often. Both the pilot and person filming him have done nothing wrong in terms of criminal law. Whether the pilot is terminated or punished by his company is a different story. They might have rules in place indicating behavior while in uniform and/or off duty. It is very hard though to show malice in terms of the pilot filming. He could contend that he was taking videos of the FA of what he believed to be issues with her conduct/work ethic and that he covered it up to keep her from realizing she was being videotaped. Was it more sinister and perverse in nature? Possibly, but it has to stand the litmus test of actual intent on his part and not just reasonable belief.

The expectation of privacy may be an issue, do you expect to have someone taking a video of you in your work place.....Then of course there is the fact that this was done on private property.... It would be interesting to here an HR persons point of view on this, I know we have a couple of them that post here every now and again.

It will be interesting to see how the union handles this as well, will they try and fight for him ? If they manage to get him his job back what will Delta do when FA's refuse to fly with him ?

Boy it's a can of worms, and yes, the guy is a creep.

LX015

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 pm

planecane wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

You also stated " but throwing around words like "perverse" and "disturbing" is a little much."

Perverse & disturbing are more than suitable to describe this guy's actions. Also, who cares if she wasn't a work colleague? Would you be coming to his defense if it were your wife, sister or daughter was the subject of his interests? Probably not.

sldispatcher

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:

Are you seriously comparing someone taking a clandestine video of a woman's rear end with a parent being unintentionally late to work because of their kids? They are not remotely comparable.

If one had read and comprehended, it was clear I was discussing the act of breaking ANY policy being grounds for dismissal in the context of can we just take a breath and realize that with the extensive depth and breadth of company policies that it is almost impossible to not break one over any extended employment period. If that is true, what standard is applied to say which broken policy is a firable vs remediation offense?

sldispatcher

Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:31 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Thank you for that clearly stated and informed post.