Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bpatus297

Re: Abortion Ban in Oklahoma Passed

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:29 am

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Did I? That was entirely your inference, after you brought up the necessity of "consequences." Perhaps I was merely discussing pregnancy and childbirth, which can still be genuine health risks. If babies are so much more valuable than that, maybe we should be thinking of them as more than things to be foisted upon indiscreet women to teach them responsibility?

And it's not exactly news that this line of argumentation leads to some morally rancid places awfully fast. Remember when Rush Limbaugh decided a woman who wanted birth control covered by insurance must have been a "slut?"

Yes you did, no real way around that. Yes babies are pretty damn valuable, they are a living human life after all. I know it's anecdotal, but I know lots of women who would rather die in child birth than take the life of their baby. But again, I am not saying abortions should be outlawed and I don't necessarily agree with the Oklahoma law. I think there is some common sense middle ground to find, even with all of the sanctimonious discussion in this thread.

Derogatory remarks again? I thought you wanted an adult, educational discussion? Accusing others of sanctimony is not that.

Sanctimonious is not an opinion, it's an observation.

Aaron747

Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:36 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Yes you did, no real way around that. Yes babies are pretty damn valuable, they are a living human life after all. I know it's anecdotal, but I know lots of women who would rather die in child birth than take the life of their baby. But again, I am not saying abortions should be outlawed and I don't necessarily agree with the Oklahoma law. I think there is some common sense middle ground to find, even with all of the sanctimonious discussion in this thread.

Derogatory remarks again? I thought you wanted an adult, educational discussion? Accusing others of sanctimony is not that.

Sanctimonious is not an opinion, it's an observation.

It's also a pejorative adjective. Not really the kind of stuff to use if one complains that spirited debate constitutes personal attacks. :boggled:

LMP737

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:26 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
What about those who think life begins at conception and nothing to do with religion?

Let's be honest here, those aren't the people driving this.

seb146

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:59 am

LMP737 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
What about those who think life begins at conception and nothing to do with religion?

Let's be honest here, those aren't the people driving this.

I am asking an honest question:

do women know the very second conception has happened?

Virtual737

Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:43 am

seb146 wrote:
do women know the very second conception has happened?

Too many answers came into my head for that one. I shall refrain.

hashtagconfused

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:40 pm

is there a point in a pregnancy at which time an abortion should no longer be allowed?

Kent350787

Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:42 am

hashtagconfused wrote:
is there a point in a pregnancy at which time an abortion should no longer be allowed?

24 weeks gestation is broadly considered to be the boundary of foetal viability.

However, there will always be a small range of circumstances where later term termination is in the correct medical decision for the safety of the woman.

hashtagconfused

Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:23 am

Kent350787 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:

24 weeks gestation is broadly considered to be the boundary of foetal viability.

However, there will always be a small range of circumstances where later term termination is in the correct medical decision for the safety of the woman.

thank you, i should have qualified my question was aside from medically necessary reasons