Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:19 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I have made similar statements several times, but no one listens. Its almost pointless on this board to make statements like yours. 90%+ of the country is in the "middle" and are not racists, fascists, commies, etc., but once you say you have views that are similar with one party or the other, you are classified as on of the above.





If you aren't racist, bigoted or facist, stop supporting laws that represent exactly that. ANTI- CRT and Anti LGBTQ laws are Anti American, racist and bigoted laws. Neither of you represent the "Middle". Just the far right agenda against other Americans.


You literally proved his point lmao.
Everything you say here is bigoted towards a group of people. It's just a different point of view that you start with.
Your moral compass is not universal nor it has a monopoly. If you want to be who you claim you are you need to understand this nuance.

Definition below:

"...The definition of a bigot is a person who is prejudiced, or intolerant of those who are different. A person who thinks all men are better than all women is an example of a bigot. One who is strongly partial to one's own group (e.g. religion, race, gender, political party, etc.) and is intolerant of those who differ..."

Instead of constructive discussion it creates a destructive and toxic environment.
You think it helps with anything?
Wish people could just talk without insulting. Life would be nice.


Nope. Don't use deflection to run from your support of bigoted laws and racism. How is CRT or LGBTQ so dangerous that it has to be banned. Ignorant parents aren't able to aptly describe it? Can't have mature instruction of their own values with their kids?

And as posted below,. it seems that this is more of a payola/corruption issue within the Florida GOP on the types of books banned. So using CRT/Social issues as boogeymen to get kickbacks.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:27 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

You are painting FL and GOP as racist and all other names. Literally 20+ million people no matter how they vote but they live in FL plus who knows how many GOP supporters in the country.
From a person in the middle sitting in FL I'm one of those according to you. GOOD JOB lmao.

People insulting people and each believes that it holds a higher moral ground which is kinda ironic in grand scheme of things.
Angry people are all the same. They just yell different things.

Side note I always though I'm a lefty in the center till I realized that I'm a lefty but so far behind ultra progressives that I look like a conservative which makes it all even funnier.

Also from that list K-12 achievement puts FL on 3rd spot.
Maybe they want it better because they have strong belief it will benefit older kids as well?


I have made similar statements several times, but no one listens. Its almost pointless on this board to make statements like yours. 90%+ of the country is in the "middle" and are not racists, fascists, commies, etc., but once you say you have views that are similar with one party or the other, you are classified as on of the above.





If you aren't racist, bigoted or facist, stop supporting laws that represent exactly that. ANTI- CRT and Anti LGBTQ laws are Anti American, racist and bigoted laws. Neither of you represent the "Middle". Just the far right agenda against other Americans.


Thank you for proving my point.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:29 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I have made similar statements several times, but no one listens. Its almost pointless on this board to make statements like yours. 90%+ of the country is in the "middle" and are not racists, fascists, commies, etc., but once you say you have views that are similar with one party or the other, you are classified as on of the above.





If you aren't racist, bigoted or facist, stop supporting laws that represent exactly that. ANTI- CRT and Anti LGBTQ laws are Anti American, racist and bigoted laws. Neither of you represent the "Middle". Just the far right agenda against other Americans.


Thank you for proving my point.


What point? You keep proving mine. You can't defend any of these racist anti-crt laws that BAN discussions that Racists and bigots aren't willing to have.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:34 pm

casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:




If you aren't racist, bigoted or facist, stop supporting laws that represent exactly that. ANTI- CRT and Anti LGBTQ laws are Anti American, racist and bigoted laws. Neither of you represent the "Middle". Just the far right agenda against other Americans.


You literally proved his point lmao.
Everything you say here is bigoted towards a group of people. It's just a different point of view that you start with.
Your moral compass is not universal nor it has a monopoly. If you want to be who you claim you are you need to understand this nuance.

Definition below:

"...The definition of a bigot is a person who is prejudiced, or intolerant of those who are different. A person who thinks all men are better than all women is an example of a bigot. One who is strongly partial to one's own group (e.g. religion, race, gender, political party, etc.) and is intolerant of those who differ..."

Instead of constructive discussion it creates a destructive and toxic environment.
You think it helps with anything?
Wish people could just talk without insulting. Life would be nice.


Nope. Don't use deflection to run from your support of bigoted laws and racism. How is CRT or LGBTQ so dangerous that it has to be banned. Ignorant parents aren't able to aptly describe it? Can't have mature instruction of their own values with their kids?

And as posted below,. it seems that this is more of a payola/corruption issue within the Florida GOP on the types of books banned. So using CRT/Social issues as boogeymen to get kickbacks.


lmao. MY support. No wonder less and less people take liberals seriously and laws like this pass. Just read what you wrote. Direct insult, insinuation and projection without zero self-reflection and accountability for your own behaviour and words.
I can turn on russian state TV right now and I will find no difference in the way message is being projected. Only subject will differ.

And again, what does CRT or social issues have to do with.
Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???
It's a simple question.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:35 pm

casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:




If you aren't racist, bigoted or facist, stop supporting laws that represent exactly that. ANTI- CRT and Anti LGBTQ laws are Anti American, racist and bigoted laws. Neither of you represent the "Middle". Just the far right agenda against other Americans.


You literally proved his point lmao.
Everything you say here is bigoted towards a group of people. It's just a different point of view that you start with.
Your moral compass is not universal nor it has a monopoly. If you want to be who you claim you are you need to understand this nuance.

Definition below:

"...The definition of a bigot is a person who is prejudiced, or intolerant of those who are different. A person who thinks all men are better than all women is an example of a bigot. One who is strongly partial to one's own group (e.g. religion, race, gender, political party, etc.) and is intolerant of those who differ..."

Instead of constructive discussion it creates a destructive and toxic environment.
You think it helps with anything?
Wish people could just talk without insulting. Life would be nice.


Nope. Don't use deflection to run from your support of bigoted laws and racism. How is CRT or LGBTQ so dangerous that it has to be banned. Ignorant parents aren't able to aptly describe it? Can't have mature instruction of their own values with their kids?

And as posted below,. it seems that this is more of a payola/corruption issue within the Florida GOP on the types of books banned. So using CRT/Social issues as boogeymen to get kickbacks.


I'm not saying if I agree with the laws or not, I have not read too in depth about either. But what I have seen about the so called "don't say gay" law is that it doesn't mention anything about LGBTQ+ or even say "gay", rather just that you cant discuss sex education until after the 3rd grade. Again, I have not read too much about it, but I don't see how that is anti-LGBQT+.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:




If you aren't racist, bigoted or facist, stop supporting laws that represent exactly that. ANTI- CRT and Anti LGBTQ laws are Anti American, racist and bigoted laws. Neither of you represent the "Middle". Just the far right agenda against other Americans.


Thank you for proving my point.


What point? You keep proving mine. You can't defend any of these racist anti-crt laws that BAN discussions that Racists and bigots aren't willing to have.


The point that you cannot accept that there are a lot in the middle that see the world as it really is, grey, not black and white.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:40 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

You literally proved his point lmao.
Everything you say here is bigoted towards a group of people. It's just a different point of view that you start with.
Your moral compass is not universal nor it has a monopoly. If you want to be who you claim you are you need to understand this nuance.

Definition below:

"...The definition of a bigot is a person who is prejudiced, or intolerant of those who are different. A person who thinks all men are better than all women is an example of a bigot. One who is strongly partial to one's own group (e.g. religion, race, gender, political party, etc.) and is intolerant of those who differ..."

Instead of constructive discussion it creates a destructive and toxic environment.
You think it helps with anything?
Wish people could just talk without insulting. Life would be nice.


Nope. Don't use deflection to run from your support of bigoted laws and racism. How is CRT or LGBTQ so dangerous that it has to be banned. Ignorant parents aren't able to aptly describe it? Can't have mature instruction of their own values with their kids?

And as posted below,. it seems that this is more of a payola/corruption issue within the Florida GOP on the types of books banned. So using CRT/Social issues as boogeymen to get kickbacks.


lmao. MY support. No wonder less and less people take liberals seriously and laws like this pass. Just read what you wrote. Direct insult, insinuation and projection without zero self-reflection and accountability for your own behaviour and words.
I can turn on russian state TV right now and I will find no difference in the way message is being projected. Only subject will differ.

And again, what does CRT or social issues have to do with.
Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???
It's a simple question.



No. you called me a bigot for calling out bigots. So don't fall back on your deflection. I am not the one supporting people banning discussions about race and sex. And i still see no relevance to Math books that only allowed one publisher though.

Math is math, and I fail to see how CRT could be applied to Math, and I find it highly suspect that so many fail to see that only one company benefits from these actions.

Yet there is no proof at all from Desantis and his corrupt cronies.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24542
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:46 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Yes it is.
Not officially I guess but it's very present. I know cause my younger is into it and they discuss it a lot at school during various classes including assignments.


Critical Race Theory is a law theory. It is about the law. Not about 2+2, not about Columbus raping Natives, not about slavery. CRT is about how laws are written.


So what does it have to do with Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them (if true)???


Ask the outraged right.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:49 pm

casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Nope. Don't use deflection to run from your support of bigoted laws and racism. How is CRT or LGBTQ so dangerous that it has to be banned. Ignorant parents aren't able to aptly describe it? Can't have mature instruction of their own values with their kids?

And as posted below,. it seems that this is more of a payola/corruption issue within the Florida GOP on the types of books banned. So using CRT/Social issues as boogeymen to get kickbacks.


lmao. MY support. No wonder less and less people take liberals seriously and laws like this pass. Just read what you wrote. Direct insult, insinuation and projection without zero self-reflection and accountability for your own behaviour and words.
I can turn on russian state TV right now and I will find no difference in the way message is being projected. Only subject will differ.

And again, what does CRT or social issues have to do with.
Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???
It's a simple question.



No. you called me a bigot for calling out bigots. So don't fall back on your deflection. I am not the one supporting people banning discussions about race and sex. And i still see no relevance to Math books that only allowed one publisher though.

Math is math, and I fail to see how CRT could be applied to Math, and I find it highly suspect that so many fail to see that only one company benefits from these actions.

Yet there is no proof at all from Desantis and his corrupt cronies.


Is there a definitive proof that CRT is actually true? Nope. Yet you want people to take your word for it instead of proving it to them.
Hows that ANY different? well shocker. It isn't. Just AGAIN different subject but same approach.

As for what I said... hows that a deflection? I was pretty clear and backed it up with a definition that is commonly used to describe a certain way of communication that you seem to be fond of.
Just a characterization of the message that is thrown at me. One that has no facts in it but it is charged with personal insult and insinuation. Even on the internet communication can be civil. Less hate more open mind even on subjects that agreement is hard/impossible to meet. You know the.. agree to disagree saying?

I mean 1+1 = 2 no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you want to apply. That's the beauty of math and why it's important for people to learn it. It teaches logic and accountability.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24542
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:50 pm

c933103 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Yes it is.
Not officially I guess but it's very present. I know cause my younger is into it and they discuss it a lot at school during various classes including assignments.


Critical Race Theory is a law theory. It is about the law. Not about 2+2, not about Columbus raping Natives, not about slavery. CRT is about how laws are written.

As mentioned above, the Republican concern appears to be about the Application of such theory as a way to teach people in classroom, not the discussion of or teaching about the theory itself.


Critical Race Theory is a trigger. It gets people so angry that they must go out and cancel and remove. It is "woke" and indoctrinating children by liberals. That is what they are being told. That is the whole reason for CRT outrage. At least, that is all I find about CRT outrage.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:54 pm

seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Critical Race Theory is a law theory. It is about the law. Not about 2+2, not about Columbus raping Natives, not about slavery. CRT is about how laws are written.


So what does it have to do with Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them (if true)???


Ask the outraged right.


I'm asking you.
This is the thing that's being defended that is supposed to be in those math books otherwise this topic wouldn't exist.
And I really wanna know why any of it should have any place in a math book and after 4 pages of angry people I still have no answer.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:00 pm

seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Critical Race Theory is a law theory. It is about the law. Not about 2+2, not about Columbus raping Natives, not about slavery. CRT is about how laws are written.

As mentioned above, the Republican concern appears to be about the Application of such theory as a way to teach people in classroom, not the discussion of or teaching about the theory itself.


Critical Race Theory is a trigger. It gets people so angry that they must go out and cancel and remove. It is "woke" and indoctrinating children by liberals. That is what they are being told. That is the whole reason for CRT outrage. At least, that is all I find about CRT outrage.


There is a lot of nuance to that statement. I think that the history of racism is a noble area of study, I also think that the study and discussion on how to improve race relations and how to help historically underprivileged groups is also a very noble and needed discussion. However, starting that conversation by telling my children that they are inherently racist because they are white (CRT), is.........racist.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:27 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Didn't realize not censoring history and allowing heterosexuals and homosexual and everyone in between to live openly without fear of the government censoring them was...moral values.

I thought y'all hated censorship?


I thought y'all are for freedom of expression and choice and if so this is FL choice now what? Now is no longer freedom of choice now it's racism, homofobia, fascism and etc etc etc right?
Hypocritical AF. That's how I see it. Moral values lol. More like it's my way or gtfo.


In what world is "freedom of choice" the freedom to discriminate against others? Well, other than the GOP's world...


Actually in all echo chambers. It's a key characteristic. The most popular feature so to speak as it requires no self reflection or any logical thinking for that matter. Emotions tump it all kinda thing.
Mature and logical thinking people understand this goes both ways and there's no difference just cause one side (or both) feels superior about the subject of their beliefs.
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:32 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

I thought y'all are for freedom of expression and choice and if so this is FL choice now what? Now is no longer freedom of choice now it's racism, homofobia, fascism and etc etc etc right?
Hypocritical AF. That's how I see it. Moral values lol. More like it's my way or gtfo.


In what world is "freedom of choice" the freedom to discriminate against others? Well, other than the GOP's world...


Actually in all echo chambers. It's a key characteristic. The most popular feature so to speak as it requires no self reflection or any logical thinking for that matter. Emotions tump it all kinda thing.
Mature and logical thinking people understand this goes both ways and there's no difference just cause one side (or both) feels superior about the subject of their beliefs.

Ummm...y'all are literally passing laws that ban teaching history that causes "discomfort". We are not the same.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:34 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Didn't realize not censoring history and allowing heterosexuals and homosexual and everyone in between to live openly without fear of the government censoring them was...moral values.

I thought y'all hated censorship?


I thought y'all are for freedom of expression and choice and if so this is FL choice now what? Now is no longer freedom of choice now it's racism, homofobia, fascism and etc etc etc right?
Hypocritical AF. That's how I see it. Moral values lol. More like it's my way or gtfo.


'Freedom of choice' does not entail pushing reps to enact laws that curtail how others live life based on faith-based imperatives.


So lack of CRT agenda in a math book = curtailing how others live life?
This is a subject about math books not about racial/regional/political/religious supremacy.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:37 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

In what world is "freedom of choice" the freedom to discriminate against others? Well, other than the GOP's world...


Actually in all echo chambers. It's a key characteristic. The most popular feature so to speak as it requires no self reflection or any logical thinking for that matter. Emotions tump it all kinda thing.
Mature and logical thinking people understand this goes both ways and there's no difference just cause one side (or both) feels superior about the subject of their beliefs.

Ummm...y'all are literally passing laws that ban teaching history that causes "discomfort". We are not the same.


lmao. I can't.

You are now the 3rd ultra defender of this subject that CRT should be in a math book (this is the subject we're discussing here to make it clear again) so let me ask:
What does CRT or social issues have to do with Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:57 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Actually in all echo chambers. It's a key characteristic. The most popular feature so to speak as it requires no self reflection or any logical thinking for that matter. Emotions tump it all kinda thing.
Mature and logical thinking people understand this goes both ways and there's no difference just cause one side (or both) feels superior about the subject of their beliefs.

Ummm...y'all are literally passing laws that ban teaching history that causes "discomfort". We are not the same.


lmao. I can't.

You are now the 3rd ultra defender of this subject that CRT should be in a math book (this is the subject we're discussing here to make it clear again) so let me ask:
What does CRT or social issues have to do with Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???

Do you have an example yet of CRT in math textbooks because so far it's just innuendo?

Also the math textbooks hysteria is separate, though related, from the laws against teaching history that causes "discomfort". Same whackadoodles on the right; completely different episodes.

Florida seeks to block uncomfortable themes in schools.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... iscomfort/

Florida bill would ban making white people feel 'discomfort' about racist history
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.6320691
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:18 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Ummm...y'all are literally passing laws that ban teaching history that causes "discomfort". We are not the same.


lmao. I can't.

You are now the 3rd ultra defender of this subject that CRT should be in a math book (this is the subject we're discussing here to make it clear again) so let me ask:
What does CRT or social issues have to do with Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???

Do you have an example yet of CRT in math textbooks because so far it's just innuendo?

Also the math textbooks hysteria is separate, though related, from the laws against teaching history that causes "discomfort". Same whackadoodles on the right; completely different episodes.

Florida seeks to block uncomfortable themes in schools.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... iscomfort/

Florida bill would ban making white people feel 'discomfort' about racist history
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.6320691


I have an official statement about it.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so at take it as is.
Sure would love to see the proof but if that's not the case why the publishers didn't release them for the public to see?
I bet they got the memo.

And this is not a separate hysteria. It's the subject of this thread. You're just bringing different issues to support your point of view without answering the questions on the subject at hand.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:25 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

lmao. MY support. No wonder less and less people take liberals seriously and laws like this pass. Just read what you wrote. Direct insult, insinuation and projection without zero self-reflection and accountability for your own behaviour and words.
I can turn on russian state TV right now and I will find no difference in the way message is being projected. Only subject will differ.

And again, what does CRT or social issues have to do with.
Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???
It's a simple question.



No. you called me a bigot for calling out bigots. So don't fall back on your deflection. I am not the one supporting people banning discussions about race and sex. And i still see no relevance to Math books that only allowed one publisher though.

Math is math, and I fail to see how CRT could be applied to Math, and I find it highly suspect that so many fail to see that only one company benefits from these actions.

Yet there is no proof at all from Desantis and his corrupt cronies.


Is there a definitive proof that CRT is actually true? Nope. Yet you want people to take your word for it instead of proving it to them.
Hows that ANY different? well shocker. It isn't. Just AGAIN different subject but same approach.

As for what I said... hows that a deflection? I was pretty clear and backed it up with a definition that is commonly used to describe a certain way of communication that you seem to be fond of.
Just a characterization of the message that is thrown at me. One that has no facts in it but it is charged with personal insult and insinuation. Even on the internet communication can be civil. Less hate more open mind even on subjects that agreement is hard/impossible to meet. You know the.. agree to disagree saying?

I mean 1+1 = 2 no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you want to apply. That's the beauty of math and why it's important for people to learn it. It teaches logic and accountability.


Then why ban CRT? The right obviously isn't smart enough to disprove it, so they ban it? Seems legit to me. That is the fight of ignorant people, and that is what the GOP is currently doing in Florida and Texas.

You used deflection by calling me a bigot for calling out bigoted laws. so that is deflection, and gaslighting. So don't take my disagreement with bigoted laws as something it is not. You can't even rationalize the Anti-CRT laws. Because you know what they do? They ban the discussion all together.
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:27 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

lmao. I can't.

You are now the 3rd ultra defender of this subject that CRT should be in a math book (this is the subject we're discussing here to make it clear again) so let me ask:
What does CRT or social issues have to do with Archimedes, Pitagoras, Euclid, Newton, Gauss so math books potentially have to have some of it in them???

Do you have an example yet of CRT in math textbooks because so far it's just innuendo?

Also the math textbooks hysteria is separate, though related, from the laws against teaching history that causes "discomfort". Same whackadoodles on the right; completely different episodes.

Florida seeks to block uncomfortable themes in schools.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... iscomfort/

Florida bill would ban making white people feel 'discomfort' about racist history
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.6320691


I have an official statement about it.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so at take it as is.
Sure would love to see the proof but if that's not the case why the publishers didn't release them for the public to see?
I bet they got the memo.

And this is not a separate hysteria. It's the subject of this thread. You're just bringing different issues to support your point of view without answering the questions on the subject at hand.

So no proof. :checkmark:

The Florida bill to ban white discomfort preceded this math textbook announcement by about 3 months and was with respect to teaching history, not math, so yes--same hysteria, but no--different subjects. Literally.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:42 pm

casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:


No. you called me a bigot for calling out bigots. So don't fall back on your deflection. I am not the one supporting people banning discussions about race and sex. And i still see no relevance to Math books that only allowed one publisher though.

Math is math, and I fail to see how CRT could be applied to Math, and I find it highly suspect that so many fail to see that only one company benefits from these actions.

Yet there is no proof at all from Desantis and his corrupt cronies.


Is there a definitive proof that CRT is actually true? Nope. Yet you want people to take your word for it instead of proving it to them.
Hows that ANY different? well shocker. It isn't. Just AGAIN different subject but same approach.

As for what I said... hows that a deflection? I was pretty clear and backed it up with a definition that is commonly used to describe a certain way of communication that you seem to be fond of.
Just a characterization of the message that is thrown at me. One that has no facts in it but it is charged with personal insult and insinuation. Even on the internet communication can be civil. Less hate more open mind even on subjects that agreement is hard/impossible to meet. You know the.. agree to disagree saying?

I mean 1+1 = 2 no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you want to apply. That's the beauty of math and why it's important for people to learn it. It teaches logic and accountability.


Then why ban CRT? The right obviously isn't smart enough to disprove it, so they ban it? Seems legit to me. That is the fight of ignorant people, and that is what the GOP is currently doing in Florida and Texas.

You used deflection by calling me a bigot for calling out bigoted laws. so that is deflection, and gaslighting. So don't take my disagreement with bigoted laws as something it is not. You can't even rationalize the Anti-CRT laws. Because you know what they do? They ban the discussion all together.


Lmao. Facts are not a deflection. If you are challenging a world-wide accepted, widely used and absolutely proved definition of a behavioral pattern cause "deflection" then maybe you should consider taking a step back or at least re-read how you write to and about people.
I mean in your superior tone you bring ignorant people in ALL FLORIDA and TEXAS (give or take 50 million useless creatures in your mind) yet here we are lol.
You don't need to be a clinical psychologist to understand what is that you are saying here.
What's next? Russian style ethnic/regional cleansing cause they are not american enough for you? Don't deserve the right to vote, choose or live?

After all this raging and insulting of yours you still didn't answer my simple stupid question and literally it's all I am asking here.
WHY do you believe CRT should be implemented into MATH books. AS A REMINDER the subject of this thread is:
"Florida bans 54 math books because of indoctrination" which btw is not entirely accurate statement and there's more to it:

"...the FDOE said in a press release on Friday that 28 textbooks were rejected because they “incorporated prohibited or unsolicited strategies, including CRT,” 12 were rejected “because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. standards,” and 14 more were rejected for both of the aforementioned reasons..."

So out of 28 some had CRT, 12 cause of common core and the rest just mix of it all.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... ed-topics/

So how about you answer my question and then we can move to other subjects, possibly in a new thread about the things that bother you and are not about math books.
Last edited by PixelPilot on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:50 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Do you have an example yet of CRT in math textbooks because so far it's just innuendo?

Also the math textbooks hysteria is separate, though related, from the laws against teaching history that causes "discomfort". Same whackadoodles on the right; completely different episodes.

Florida seeks to block uncomfortable themes in schools.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... iscomfort/

Florida bill would ban making white people feel 'discomfort' about racist history
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.6320691


I have an official statement about it.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so at take it as is.
Sure would love to see the proof but if that's not the case why the publishers didn't release them for the public to see?
I bet they got the memo.

And this is not a separate hysteria. It's the subject of this thread. You're just bringing different issues to support your point of view without answering the questions on the subject at hand.

So no proof. :checkmark:

The Florida bill to ban white discomfort preceded this math textbook announcement by about 3 months and was with respect to teaching history, not math, so yes--same hysteria, but no--different subjects. Literally.


What does it have to do with math books and CRT and why do you believe CRT should be incorporated into math?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:55 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Is there a definitive proof that CRT is actually true? Nope. Yet you want people to take your word for it instead of proving it to them.
Hows that ANY different? well shocker. It isn't. Just AGAIN different subject but same approach.

As for what I said... hows that a deflection? I was pretty clear and backed it up with a definition that is commonly used to describe a certain way of communication that you seem to be fond of.
Just a characterization of the message that is thrown at me. One that has no facts in it but it is charged with personal insult and insinuation. Even on the internet communication can be civil. Less hate more open mind even on subjects that agreement is hard/impossible to meet. You know the.. agree to disagree saying?

I mean 1+1 = 2 no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you want to apply. That's the beauty of math and why it's important for people to learn it. It teaches logic and accountability.


Then why ban CRT? The right obviously isn't smart enough to disprove it, so they ban it? Seems legit to me. That is the fight of ignorant people, and that is what the GOP is currently doing in Florida and Texas.

You used deflection by calling me a bigot for calling out bigoted laws. so that is deflection, and gaslighting. So don't take my disagreement with bigoted laws as something it is not. You can't even rationalize the Anti-CRT laws. Because you know what they do? They ban the discussion all together.


Lmao. Facts are not a deflection. If you are challenging a world-wide accepted, widely used and absolutely proved definition of a behavioral pattern cause "deflection" then maybe you should consider taking a step back or at least re-read how you write to and about people.
I mean in your superior tone you bring ignorant people in ALL FLORIDA and TEXAS (give or take 50 million useless creatures in your mind) yet here we are lol.
You don't need to be a clinical psychologist to understand what is that you are saying here.
What's next? Russian style ethnic/regional cleansing cause they are not american enough for you? Don't deserve the right to vote, choose or live?

After all this raging and insulting of yours you still didn't answer my simple stupid question and literally it's all I am asking here.
WHY do you believe CRT should be implemented into MATH books. AS A REMINDER the subject of this thread is:
"Florida bans 54 math books because of indoctrination" which btw is not entirely accurate statement and there's more to it:

"...the FDOE said in a press release on Friday that 28 textbooks were rejected because they “incorporated prohibited or unsolicited strategies, including CRT,” 12 were rejected “because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. standards,” and 14 more were rejected for both of the aforementioned reasons..."

So out of 28 some had CRT, 12 cause of common core and the rest just mix of it all.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... ed-topics/

So how about you answer my question and then we can move to other subjects, possibly in a new thread about the things that bother you and are not about math books.





No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:58 pm

casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Then why ban CRT? The right obviously isn't smart enough to disprove it, so they ban it? Seems legit to me. That is the fight of ignorant people, and that is what the GOP is currently doing in Florida and Texas.

You used deflection by calling me a bigot for calling out bigoted laws. so that is deflection, and gaslighting. So don't take my disagreement with bigoted laws as something it is not. You can't even rationalize the Anti-CRT laws. Because you know what they do? They ban the discussion all together.


Lmao. Facts are not a deflection. If you are challenging a world-wide accepted, widely used and absolutely proved definition of a behavioral pattern cause "deflection" then maybe you should consider taking a step back or at least re-read how you write to and about people.
I mean in your superior tone you bring ignorant people in ALL FLORIDA and TEXAS (give or take 50 million useless creatures in your mind) yet here we are lol.
You don't need to be a clinical psychologist to understand what is that you are saying here.
What's next? Russian style ethnic/regional cleansing cause they are not american enough for you? Don't deserve the right to vote, choose or live?

After all this raging and insulting of yours you still didn't answer my simple stupid question and literally it's all I am asking here.
WHY do you believe CRT should be implemented into MATH books. AS A REMINDER the subject of this thread is:
"Florida bans 54 math books because of indoctrination" which btw is not entirely accurate statement and there's more to it:

"...the FDOE said in a press release on Friday that 28 textbooks were rejected because they “incorporated prohibited or unsolicited strategies, including CRT,” 12 were rejected “because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. standards,” and 14 more were rejected for both of the aforementioned reasons..."

So out of 28 some had CRT, 12 cause of common core and the rest just mix of it all.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... ed-topics/

So how about you answer my question and then we can move to other subjects, possibly in a new thread about the things that bother you and are not about math books.





No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.


hahaha.
Still can't answer can we?
And you talk about ignorance.

Don't remember who was the person that said this so I'm paraphrasing here:
"...activism can lead to a corner without exit. It's good to have a flashlight with you just in case you need to look for a way back..."
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:03 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Lmao. Facts are not a deflection. If you are challenging a world-wide accepted, widely used and absolutely proved definition of a behavioral pattern cause "deflection" then maybe you should consider taking a step back or at least re-read how you write to and about people.
I mean in your superior tone you bring ignorant people in ALL FLORIDA and TEXAS (give or take 50 million useless creatures in your mind) yet here we are lol.
You don't need to be a clinical psychologist to understand what is that you are saying here.
What's next? Russian style ethnic/regional cleansing cause they are not american enough for you? Don't deserve the right to vote, choose or live?

After all this raging and insulting of yours you still didn't answer my simple stupid question and literally it's all I am asking here.
WHY do you believe CRT should be implemented into MATH books. AS A REMINDER the subject of this thread is:
"Florida bans 54 math books because of indoctrination" which btw is not entirely accurate statement and there's more to it:

"...the FDOE said in a press release on Friday that 28 textbooks were rejected because they “incorporated prohibited or unsolicited strategies, including CRT,” 12 were rejected “because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. standards,” and 14 more were rejected for both of the aforementioned reasons..."

So out of 28 some had CRT, 12 cause of common core and the rest just mix of it all.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... ed-topics/

So how about you answer my question and then we can move to other subjects, possibly in a new thread about the things that bother you and are not about math books.





No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.


hahaha.
Still can't answer can we?
And you talk about ignorance.

Don't remember who was the person that said this so I'm paraphrasing here:
"...activism can lead to a corner without exit. It's good to have a flashlight with you just in case you need to look for a way back..."


Can't answer what? Something we have no proof about.

Desantis and his corrupt DOE haven't release examples of their feeling for why CRT was present,.
So stay in your corner of deflection, but banning CRT and then not releasing examples of declined books walks and talks of corrupt government.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:




No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.


hahaha.
Still can't answer can we?
And you talk about ignorance.

Don't remember who was the person that said this so I'm paraphrasing here:
"...activism can lead to a corner without exit. It's good to have a flashlight with you just in case you need to look for a way back..."


Can't answer what? Something we have no proof about.

Desantis and his corrupt DOE haven't release examples of their feeling for why CRT was present,.
So stay in your corner of deflection, but banning CRT and then not releasing examples of declined books walks and talks of corrupt government.


Last time and then I'm out replying to you. This is not kindergarten. You can for once read what I write and answer my question or keep ignoring it and continue on hating. Your choice.

WHY do YOU believe that CRT should be incorporated into math and math books?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:11 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
casinterest wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

hahaha.
Still can't answer can we?
And you talk about ignorance.

Don't remember who was the person that said this so I'm paraphrasing here:
"...activism can lead to a corner without exit. It's good to have a flashlight with you just in case you need to look for a way back..."


Can't answer what? Something we have no proof about.

Desantis and his corrupt DOE haven't release examples of their feeling for why CRT was present,.
So stay in your corner of deflection, but banning CRT and then not releasing examples of declined books walks and talks of corrupt government.


Last time and then I'm out replying to you. This is not kindergarten. You can for once read what I write and answer my question or keep ignoring it and continue on hating. Your choice.

WHY do YOU believe that CRT should be incorporated into math and math books?



WHY do you believe it was? Because a crony set of politicians said so?
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 6499
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:27 pm

casinterest wrote:
No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.

I am not certain about whether this can be called a ban against common core, because as they adopted a new education curriculum, it make sense to require textbooks to be published according to the new curriculum instead of an old obsoleted curriculum.
Unless there are any problem in the new curriculum itself that I am not aware of but that would be a curriculum issue.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:42 pm

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.

I am not certain about whether this can be called a ban against common core, because as they adopted a new education curriculum, it make sense to require textbooks to be published according to the new curriculum instead of an old obsoleted curriculum.
Unless there are any problem in the new curriculum itself that I am not aware of but that would be a curriculum issue.


It's a ban. How could something containing common core be kicked out just on minor merit? Common core was just guidelines. Not the actual lessons.

Everyone says 2+2 =4 right?
Common core's only real change is that they wanted kids to understand the numbers instead of using rote memorization. So there is a lot more concentration on the number lines, and what numbers actually represent. IE. 654 is six hundreds, 5 10's and 4 ones ( have kids that have gone through it, and have had to learn their way of multiplying and dividing).
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 6499
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:46 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Yes, and if that training was prioritized pursuant to local/state values and priorities there wouldn’t be anything wrong with it, particularly if tied to legal analysis of EEOC and CRA obligations.

There is quite a lot of research suggesting one of the reasons civil rights laws fail to be properly implemented is because bureaucrats themselves may have subtle blind spots in knowledge and/or life experience that weaken implementation or enforcement. In those cases such training may be helpful in recognizing those blind spots.

Lack of life knowledge or experience can be covered by a training that emphasize racial hierarchy?


I have evaluated many such training materials - the emphasis is not actually on hierarchy. It is on developing empathy for the viewpoints of POC in terms of attitudes and policies that have affected them negatively. That requires foundational discussion about perceptions of hierarchy. Some of that is very subtle and even people who think they approach everything fairly learn that is not always the case.

Then they probably isn't achieving desired effect as I have learned from an American who attended such sessions, who claim that after spending a few classes of such talking about viewing everything through the lenses of race, it only make them and their colleges having more doubts against some of the racial equity movements, questioning whether advocates are trying to benefit from some sense of entitlement.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 6499
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:53 pm

casinterest wrote:
c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
No let's recall,.

Florida Banned Common Core and CRT, Why? There was nothing wrong with them other than ignorance from the right. So what could have been so bad in a Math book, that caused it to be rejected for CRT?

I am still waiting for examples from the Corrupt Florida GOP.

I am not certain about whether this can be called a ban against common core, because as they adopted a new education curriculum, it make sense to require textbooks to be published according to the new curriculum instead of an old obsoleted curriculum.
Unless there are any problem in the new curriculum itself that I am not aware of but that would be a curriculum issue.


It's a ban. How could something containing common core be kicked out just on minor merit? Common core was just guidelines. Not the actual lessons.

Everyone says 2+2 =4 right?
Common core's only real change is that they wanted kids to understand the numbers instead of using rote memorization. So there is a lot more concentration on the number lines, and what numbers actually represent. IE. 654 is six hundreds, 5 10's and 4 ones ( have kids that have gone through it, and have had to learn their way of multiplying and dividing).

You are talking about change to common core from previous courses. But didn't cover how Florida's new curriculum differ from common core?
I mean it appears to me as a standardization issue. Also wasn't the reason why they adopted a new curriculum, at least according to what those politician claim, was because of students performance degraded after the adoption of common core?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 pm

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
c933103 wrote:
I am not certain about whether this can be called a ban against common core, because as they adopted a new education curriculum, it make sense to require textbooks to be published according to the new curriculum instead of an old obsoleted curriculum.
Unless there are any problem in the new curriculum itself that I am not aware of but that would be a curriculum issue.


It's a ban. How could something containing common core be kicked out just on minor merit? Common core was just guidelines. Not the actual lessons.

Everyone says 2+2 =4 right?
Common core's only real change is that they wanted kids to understand the numbers instead of using rote memorization. So there is a lot more concentration on the number lines, and what numbers actually represent. IE. 654 is six hundreds, 5 10's and 4 ones ( have kids that have gone through it, and have had to learn their way of multiplying and dividing).

You are talking about change to common core from previous courses. But didn't cover how Florida's new curriculum differ from common core?
I mean it appears to me as a standardization issue. Also wasn't the reason why they adopted a new curriculum, at least according to what those politician claim, was because of students performance degraded after the adoption of common core?



I could get the common core drops. but the CRT ones make no sense at all. And I don't see how common core is that big of a threat as it gets the kids to a good place with math, Much better than most of my generation got too, it still astounds me how poor people are at Math without a computer or calculator.
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:00 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

I have an official statement about it.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so at take it as is.
Sure would love to see the proof but if that's not the case why the publishers didn't release them for the public to see?
I bet they got the memo.

And this is not a separate hysteria. It's the subject of this thread. You're just bringing different issues to support your point of view without answering the questions on the subject at hand.

So no proof. :checkmark:

The Florida bill to ban white discomfort preceded this math textbook announcement by about 3 months and was with respect to teaching history, not math, so yes--same hysteria, but no--different subjects. Literally.


What does it have to do with math books and CRT and why do you believe CRT should be incorporated into math?

Until we have evidence that "CRT" is in the math textbooks, and why it is pernicious, there's nothing to support or oppose. It's like asking "why do you support a child trafficking ring in the basement of Comet Pizza"? "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." For all we know a textbook used a vaguely non white name in a word problem and the GOP Karens' balls fell off.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:41 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
So no proof. :checkmark:

The Florida bill to ban white discomfort preceded this math textbook announcement by about 3 months and was with respect to teaching history, not math, so yes--same hysteria, but no--different subjects. Literally.


What does it have to do with math books and CRT and why do you believe CRT should be incorporated into math?


Until we have evidence that "CRT" is in the math textbooks, and why it is pernicious, there's nothing to support or oppose. "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." For all we know a textbook used a vaguely non white name in a word problem and the GOP Karens' balls fell off.


Ah so there's no issue at all here but florida but gop but texas but white supremacy but racism but why not since it's trendy but but but. But I guess we all knew that already at this point.
The thing about racially charged eyeglasses is that it's all people can see. Logic? what's that?. Common sense? what's that?. Facts? Rocket science / blasphemy!

And now... it's time to insult women. You know that's misogyny right? Wasn't that a GOP exclusive thing too? ...
(it is worth mentioning that even this you got wrong)
https://www.chron.com/life/article/kare ... 694651.php

But of course who cares lmao. Superiority comes with perks like this am I right? You just can do and say what you want as long as you are among those that have same ("real") values at heart. Do as I say not as I do. In fact do as I do and you're a racist, bigot, homophobe, supremacist and etc.

And all of this cause some MATH books didn't fit the new criteria outlined by the education board, and it happened in a state that you don't even live in.
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:39 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

What does it have to do with math books and CRT and why do you believe CRT should be incorporated into math?


Until we have evidence that "CRT" is in the math textbooks, and why it is pernicious, there's nothing to support or oppose. "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." For all we know a textbook used a vaguely non white name in a word problem and the GOP Karens' balls fell off.


Ah so there's no issue at all here but florida but gop but texas but white supremacy but racism but why not since it's trendy but but but. But I guess we all knew that already at this point.
The thing about racially charged eyeglasses is that it's all people can see. Logic? what's that?. Common sense? what's that?. Facts? Rocket science / blasphemy!

And now... it's time to insult women. You know that's misogyny right? Wasn't that a GOP exclusive thing too? ...
(it is worth mentioning that even this you got wrong)
https://www.chron.com/life/article/kare ... 694651.php

But of course who cares lmao. Superiority comes with perks like this am I right? You just can do and say what you want as long as you are among those that have same ("real") values at heart. Do as I say not as I do. In fact do as I do and you're a racist, bigot, homophobe, supremacist and etc.

And all of this cause some MATH books didn't fit the new criteria outlined by the education board, and it happened in a state that you don't even live in.

TL;DR. That's a lot of mumbo jumbo to repeat that you still have zero evidence that anything untoward was in the textbooks.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:48 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Until we have evidence that "CRT" is in the math textbooks, and why it is pernicious, there's nothing to support or oppose. "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." For all we know a textbook used a vaguely non white name in a word problem and the GOP Karens' balls fell off.


Ah so there's no issue at all here but florida but gop but texas but white supremacy but racism but why not since it's trendy but but but. But I guess we all knew that already at this point.
The thing about racially charged eyeglasses is that it's all people can see. Logic? what's that?. Common sense? what's that?. Facts? Rocket science / blasphemy!

And now... it's time to insult women. You know that's misogyny right? Wasn't that a GOP exclusive thing too? ...
(it is worth mentioning that even this you got wrong)
https://www.chron.com/life/article/kare ... 694651.php

But of course who cares lmao. Superiority comes with perks like this am I right? You just can do and say what you want as long as you are among those that have same ("real") values at heart. Do as I say not as I do. In fact do as I do and you're a racist, bigot, homophobe, supremacist and etc.

And all of this cause some MATH books didn't fit the new criteria outlined by the education board, and it happened in a state that you don't even live in.

That's a lot of mumbo jumbo to repeat that you still have zero proof that anything untoward was in the textbooks.



In US, prosecution has the burden of proving every element of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt.
Civil court same story. Plaintiff has the burden of proving his case by a preponderance of the evidence

Not only you got all the logic backwards, you have nothing but hot air.

I don't have to do anything. You're the one claiming it's false/malicious cause blah blah blah. So prove it (name of a famous detective was here) beyond a reasonable doubt that the actions taken by the board of education was racist and all the whatever you want to insert here.

I'll wait...

PS. I'm on of those people that when presented with evidence and facts I'll happily change my position and admit I was wrong. You live you learn right?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:47 pm

It seems the publishers are looking to appeal but so far the Florida DOE has presented no evidence to help the publishers understand where the went afoul of the publication guidelines.
Seems like there may be a coverup going on the Florida DOE.

https://www.latestly.com/socially/busin ... 13897.html
 
SL1200MK2
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Ah so there's no issue at all here but florida but gop but texas but white supremacy but racism but why not since it's trendy but but but. But I guess we all knew that already at this point.
The thing about racially charged eyeglasses is that it's all people can see. Logic? what's that?. Common sense? what's that?. Facts? Rocket science / blasphemy!

And now... it's time to insult women. You know that's misogyny right? Wasn't that a GOP exclusive thing too? ...
(it is worth mentioning that even this you got wrong)
https://www.chron.com/life/article/kare ... 694651.php

But of course who cares lmao. Superiority comes with perks like this am I right? You just can do and say what you want as long as you are among those that have same ("real") values at heart. Do as I say not as I do. In fact do as I do and you're a racist, bigot, homophobe, supremacist and etc.

And all of this cause some MATH books didn't fit the new criteria outlined by the education board, and it happened in a state that you don't even live in.

That's a lot of mumbo jumbo to repeat that you still have zero proof that anything untoward was in the textbooks.



In US, prosecution has the burden of proving every element of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt.
Civil court same story. Plaintiff has the burden of proving his case by a preponderance of the evidence

Not only you got all the logic backwards, you have nothing but hot air.

I don't have to do anything. You're the one claiming it's false/malicious cause blah blah blah. So prove it (name of a famous detective was here) beyond a reasonable doubt that the actions taken by the board of education was racist and all the whatever you want to insert here.

I'll wait...

PS. I'm on of those people that when presented with evidence and facts I'll happily change my position and admit I was wrong. You live you learn right?


I thought you weren’t going to respond any more.
 
FGITD
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:25 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:

I thought you weren’t going to respond any more.


The logic on display in this thread is dizzying at best

So the books were banned due to perceived racism. Perceived racism that which we have no evidence of.

But the user claiming the school board was racially biased is the one who’s obligated to provide the proof of that bias. While also going in blindly because again…no proof that the books were racist in any way.

Fascinating.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24542
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:57 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
As mentioned above, the Republican concern appears to be about the Application of such theory as a way to teach people in classroom, not the discussion of or teaching about the theory itself.


Critical Race Theory is a trigger. It gets people so angry that they must go out and cancel and remove. It is "woke" and indoctrinating children by liberals. That is what they are being told. That is the whole reason for CRT outrage. At least, that is all I find about CRT outrage.


There is a lot of nuance to that statement. I think that the history of racism is a noble area of study, I also think that the study and discussion on how to improve race relations and how to help historically underprivileged groups is also a very noble and needed discussion. However, starting that conversation by telling my children that they are inherently racist because they are white (CRT), is.........racist.


The only ones doing that are.... Republicans! They try to spin it that the "woke mob" is doing it, but, in reality, the "woke mob" is simply pointing out what parts of history are racist. Like Christopher Columbus and the United States government toward Natives and slavery of Africans and Asians and hatred of Irish and Latinos and gays and Muslims. But, spin it just right, as Republicans are doing, then, yes, you are correct. It is not something they want to discuss or even have brought up.
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:37 am

FGITD wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

I thought you weren’t going to respond any more.


The logic on display in this thread is dizzying at best

So the books were banned due to perceived racism. Perceived racism that which we have no evidence of.

But the user claiming the school board was racially biased is the one who’s obligated to provide the proof of that bias. While also going in blindly because again…no proof that the books were racist in any way.

Fascinating.

It's something else. I think Salem witch trials had more logic involved.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:45 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

I thought you weren’t going to respond any more.


The logic on display in this thread is dizzying at best

So the books were banned due to perceived racism. Perceived racism that which we have no evidence of.

But the user claiming the school board was racially biased is the one who’s obligated to provide the proof of that bias. While also going in blindly because again…no proof that the books were racist in any way.

Fascinating.

It's something else. I think Salem witch trials had more logic involved.


Math has logic. The Florida laws and story about CRT do not.
 
MaverickM11
Topic Author
Posts: 18952
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:01 am

casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

The logic on display in this thread is dizzying at best

So the books were banned due to perceived racism. Perceived racism that which we have no evidence of.

But the user claiming the school board was racially biased is the one who’s obligated to provide the proof of that bias. While also going in blindly because again…no proof that the books were racist in any way.

Fascinating.

It's something else. I think Salem witch trials had more logic involved.


Math has logic. The Florida laws and story about CRT do not.

Not yet confirmed but allegedly only one company's textbook was approved, which happens to be owned by the Carlyle Group, that Youngkin was CEO of for decades. Commence *wild* speculation. :rotfl:

https://twitter.com/SternLevine/status/ ... 8606745609
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17927
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:41 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
It's something else. I think Salem witch trials had more logic involved.


Math has logic. The Florida laws and story about CRT do not.

Not yet confirmed but allegedly only one company's textbook was approved, which happens to be owned by the Carlyle Group, that Youngkin was CEO of for decades. Commence *wild* speculation. :rotfl:

https://twitter.com/SternLevine/status/ ... 8606745609


Wow, no conflict of interest there whatsoever. Move along, nothing to see here!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17927
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:43 am

c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Lack of life knowledge or experience can be covered by a training that emphasize racial hierarchy?


I have evaluated many such training materials - the emphasis is not actually on hierarchy. It is on developing empathy for the viewpoints of POC in terms of attitudes and policies that have affected them negatively. That requires foundational discussion about perceptions of hierarchy. Some of that is very subtle and even people who think they approach everything fairly learn that is not always the case.

Then they probably isn't achieving desired effect as I have learned from an American who attended such sessions, who claim that after spending a few classes of such talking about viewing everything through the lenses of race, it only make them and their colleges having more doubts against some of the racial equity movements, questioning whether advocates are trying to benefit from some sense of entitlement.


If your friend took such a course about other people's experiences and determined they were about 'viewing everything through the lens of race', they A. are terrible listeners or B. are not in the habit of practicing empathy. Either way, I did not say all people are reachable / trainable, especially depending on size of blind spots.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:42 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
That's a lot of mumbo jumbo to repeat that you still have zero proof that anything untoward was in the textbooks.



In US, prosecution has the burden of proving every element of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt.
Civil court same story. Plaintiff has the burden of proving his case by a preponderance of the evidence

Not only you got all the logic backwards, you have nothing but hot air.

I don't have to do anything. You're the one claiming it's false/malicious cause blah blah blah. So prove it (name of a famous detective was here) beyond a reasonable doubt that the actions taken by the board of education was racist and all the whatever you want to insert here.

I'll wait...

PS. I'm on of those people that when presented with evidence and facts I'll happily change my position and admit I was wrong. You live you learn right?


I thought you weren’t going to respond any more.


lmao. Do you see me replying to casinterest? My message was to him since he ignored every single question I asked on HIS opinion by ping ponging.
Let me help you with a quote. "...Last time and then I'm out replying to you..."
I swear reading proficiency in schools should be mandatory to pass ANY grade.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:51 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I have evaluated many such training materials - the emphasis is not actually on hierarchy. It is on developing empathy for the viewpoints of POC in terms of attitudes and policies that have affected them negatively. That requires foundational discussion about perceptions of hierarchy. Some of that is very subtle and even people who think they approach everything fairly learn that is not always the case.

Then they probably isn't achieving desired effect as I have learned from an American who attended such sessions, who claim that after spending a few classes of such talking about viewing everything through the lenses of race, it only make them and their colleges having more doubts against some of the racial equity movements, questioning whether advocates are trying to benefit from some sense of entitlement.


If your friend took such a course about other people's experiences and determined they were about 'viewing everything through the lens of race', they A. are terrible listeners or B. are not in the habit of practicing empathy. Either way, I did not say all people are reachable / trainable, especially depending on size of blind spots.


What if some people do want to use it in order to take advantage and profit?
Why doubt is only casted on the listener here? You accused several people that you never met of being bad listeners and low on empathy without ever hearing a word what the speaker said.
That's racial bias btw.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:59 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
It's something else. I think Salem witch trials had more logic involved.


Math has logic. The Florida laws and story about CRT do not.

Not yet confirmed but allegedly only one company's textbook was approved, which happens to be owned by the Carlyle Group, that Youngkin was CEO of for decades. Commence *wild* speculation. :rotfl:

https://twitter.com/SternLevine/status/ ... 8606745609



Corruption seems to be at play. Will have to see how all this works out. Not a good look going into election season in Florida.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17927
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:05 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Then they probably isn't achieving desired effect as I have learned from an American who attended such sessions, who claim that after spending a few classes of such talking about viewing everything through the lenses of race, it only make them and their colleges having more doubts against some of the racial equity movements, questioning whether advocates are trying to benefit from some sense of entitlement.


If your friend took such a course about other people's experiences and determined they were about 'viewing everything through the lens of race', they A. are terrible listeners or B. are not in the habit of practicing empathy. Either way, I did not say all people are reachable / trainable, especially depending on size of blind spots.


What if some people do want to use it in order to take advantage and profit?
Why doubt is only casted on the listener here? You accused several people that you never met of being bad listeners and low on empathy without ever hearing a word what the speaker said.
That's racial bias btw.


Experience, not racial bias :lol:. I have evaluated such materials, and been on teams evaluating their effectiveness in workplace training. We even had trackers on internal responses to particular topics and how they were addressed. I can tell you a lot of people go into such training with preconceived notions and negative attitudes, often fed by media influences - both mindsets lead to bad listening.

In HR we're all about trying to establish and enforce fairness because it's best for morale overall. There are certainly people who want to use race for advantage/profit, or to grind an axe, and that's what internal review processes and investigative functions are for - to document and weed that stuff out. But in the larger context of helping people find their own blind spots, and to ensure laws and policies are actually doing what's intended, requires various types of critical analysis. One of those is to look at how other people's experiences bring perceptions of business and government systems into a different context.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Florida bans 54 math textbooks because of "indoctrination"

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:14 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

If your friend took such a course about other people's experiences and determined they were about 'viewing everything through the lens of race', they A. are terrible listeners or B. are not in the habit of practicing empathy. Either way, I did not say all people are reachable / trainable, especially depending on size of blind spots.


What if some people do want to use it in order to take advantage and profit?
Why doubt is only casted on the listener here? You accused several people that you never met of being bad listeners and low on empathy without ever hearing a word what the speaker said.
That's racial bias btw.


Experience, not racial bias :lol:. I have evaluated such materials, and been on teams evaluating their effectiveness in workplace training. We even had trackers on internal responses to particular topics and how they were addressed. I can tell you a lot of people go into such training with preconceived notions and negative attitudes, often fed by media influences - both mindsets lead to bad listening.

In HR we're all about trying to establish and enforce fairness because it's best for morale overall. There are certainly people who want to use race for advantage/profit, or to grind an axe, and that's what internal review processes and investigative functions are for - to document and weed that stuff out. But in the larger context of helping people find their own blind spots, and to ensure laws and policies are actually doing what's intended, requires various types of critical analysis. One of those is to look at how other people's experiences bring perceptions of business and government systems into a different context.


Throwing negative opinions about people cause "experience" without reviewing the information in question including qualifications of the lecturer is supposed to mean anything?
And that's coming from HR??

A. Let's stop the car cause the driver is black. Black people commit a lot of crimes.
B. That's racial bias and racism!
A. No, that's experience.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Bias:
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

Racial profiling:
Racial profiling is the act of suspecting, targeting or discriminating against a person on the basis of their ethnicity or religion, rather than on individual suspicion.
Last edited by PixelPilot on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 11 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos