Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari
Topic Author

Those of you who walk barefoot in airplanes ...

Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:08 pm

... and especially walk barefoot or in socks into the lavatory, are you ok?

NIKV69

Re: Those of you who walk barefoot in airplanes ...

Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:10 pm

Never in a million years would I do that. UGH

Aaron747

Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:16 pm

There's no way in hell people who do this are 'OK'...

Derico

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:15 pm

I didn't even know people went in barefoot in the bathrooms until recently, when I read some stories about that. HonestIy still can't believe it, unless they were wearing double socks and throwing them away immediately after. Considering they must return to their seats right away, I can't give them that benefit of the doubt.

Personally, I have a few times removed my shoes in my seat, but to put some sandals or slippers on. There have been a handful ot times when I removed my shoes to sleep, because I had forgotten to place my sandals or slippers in carry-on. Even if given complementary slippers, I have an unusual problem because I have ridiculously LARGE feet for my height, and nothing in the standard size ranges comes close to being big enough. Therefore, places like Thailand, Taiwan, or Korea are not fun for me at all if I didn't plan things correctly and carried my huge boats with me.

seb146

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:23 pm

Long, long ago, I worked for a ground service crew at SEA. I was supposed to be baggage only, but, a couple of times, I had to help clean the cabins. We had contracts with Aeroflot, Champion Air, and Sun Country. They wanted those birds in the air NOW!!! so some things were not cleaned. Airplane cabins are nasty. I don't know how people can go barefoot.

Derico

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
Long, long ago, I worked for a ground service crew at SEA. I was supposed to be baggage only, but, a couple of times, I had to help clean the cabins. We had contracts with Aeroflot, Champion Air, and Sun Country. They wanted those birds in the air NOW!!! so some things were not cleaned. Airplane cabins are nasty. I don't know how people can go barefoot.

I wonder why there couldn't be some type of material developed that could be deployed on high-traffic areas, removed after every flight and an identical replacement put in for the next flight. The last flights material could then be placed in some sanitation machine for washing and sterilization. I'm guessing it's just costs, but that it is actually feasible.

T18

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:56 pm

Follow up, folks who take thier shoes off at work.... why do you think we want to see and smell you gnarly toes?

Kno

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:01 pm

I would never do it. That said what’s the big deal? It’s a plane not a sewer.

Most of you touch way more disgusting things with your bare hands on a regular basis.

People who have disgusting feet are usually the ones who keep them cooped up in shoes all the time.

ReverseFlow

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:05 pm

Derico wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I wonder why there couldn't be some type of material developed that could be deployed on high-traffic areas, removed after every flight and an identical replacement put in for the next flight. The last flights material could then be placed in some sanitation machine for washing and sterilization. I'm guessing it's just costs, but that it is actually feasible.
It's probably cheaper and more effective to ask people to keep their shoes on instead replacing bits of carpet in the plane.

Derico

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:01 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
Derico wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It's probably cheaper and more effective to ask people to keep their shoes on instead replacing bits of carpet in the plane.

Ok, but shoes are filthier than feet. The reason it's filthy to walk around without shoes is because of what all the people's shoes bring into the cabin in the first place. Again, since there is no real reason to provide that level of cleanliness, no one has or probably will bother with it.

seb146

Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:02 pm

Derico wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
Derico wrote:

Ok, but shoes are filthier than feet. The reason it's filthy to walk around without shoes is because of what all the people's shoes bring into the cabin in the first place. Again, since there is no real reason to provide that level of cleanliness, no one has or probably will bother with it.

The entire cabin floor would have to be switched out after every flight. For some flights, that's fine, but for those flights that rely on quick turns, that would never work. Just leave your shoes on.

SRQLOT

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:40 pm

Has anyone seen people walking in flip flops, or barefoot in hallways of an apartment building and their feet are solid black and then walk around their home like that!! You know those feet have never been washed or probably so soiled that it doesn’t matter how much the soles get washed. So yeah there are plenty of people like that, and have witnessed barefoot people in airplane bathrooms.

EstherLouise

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:13 pm

I worked in public safety before retirement. We were always taught to dress for emergencies. That means wearing long pants (preferably jeans) on aircraft. Along with cotton socks and shoes... not slippers, sandals, or flipflops.

Imagine who's going to get off the burning jet and down the slide more unscathed than the other: Me in jeans, long sleeves, cotton socks, and leather sneakers? Or the la-la-loon bimbo wearing a tank top, nylon shorts, no socks, and flipflops?

AirKevin

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:58 pm

T18 wrote:
Follow up, folks who take thier shoes off at work.... why do you think we want to see and smell you gnarly toes?

I take my shoes off in the office because I live in my office, so I definitely won't keep my shoes on when I'm in the back sleeping. Of course, I have my shoes on when I'm driving. That said, there isn't anybody else around me that I need to worry about.

Austin90

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:43 pm

I never understood this, why would you go on flights wearing shoes that you would want to take off in the first place, wear something comfortable.

Braybuddy

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:46 pm

Suppose there could be worse places to go barefoot, such as beaches, now who in their right mind would do THAT . . . :eek:

casinterest

Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:20 am

I will take my shoes off on flights over 5 hours. My feet swell anyway. I will wear socks, but I will not go to the aisle without my shoes or slippers , unless I am grabbing something from the overhead.

Kno

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am

EstherLouise wrote:
I worked in public safety before retirement. We were always taught to dress for emergencies. That means wearing long pants (preferably jeans) on aircraft. Along with cotton socks and shoes... not slippers, sandals, or flipflops.

Imagine who's going to get off the burning jet and down the slide more unscathed than the other: Me in jeans, long sleeves, cotton socks, and leather sneakers? Or the la-la-loon bimbo wearing a tank top, nylon shorts, no socks, and flipflops?

I can’t fault people for not dressing for something statistically extremely unlikely.

We could all walk around in bullet proof vests with helmets on while we’re at it. If it was that important there would be rules in place.

johns624

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 pm

casinterest wrote:
I will take my shoes off on flights over 5 hours. My feet swell anyway. I will wear socks, but I will not go to the aisle without my shoes or slippers , unless I am grabbing something from the overhead.
Those are my thoughts, exactly.

davidjohnson6

Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:16 am

Austin90 wrote:
I never understood this, why would you go on flights wearing shoes that you would want to take off in the first place, wear something comfortable.

Before I fly, I have to travel from my home to the airport. I need stout shoes to walk along the street... but I don't like wearing heavy shoes while seated for several hours. I do not intend to carry multiple pairs of shoes with me for different times of the day

AtomicGarden

Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:00 am

I've done it a couple of times while seted because my feet got some swelling. And even then I'd rest them on top of the sneakers. Never walk around barefoot and much less to the toilet!

Derico

Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Suppose there could be worse places to go barefoot, such as beaches, now who in their right mind would do THAT . . . :eek:

This is one of the cases where mind perception warps risk profile. Many people happily pick up a piece of food from their kitchen counter and eat it, when study after study shows there are far more bacteria on it than on your average toilet seat.

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:31 am

Derico wrote:
This is one of the cases where mind perception warps risk profile. Many people happily pick up a piece of food from their kitchen counter and eat it, when study after study shows there are far more bacteria on it than on your average toilet seat.

Not to mention sitting at a keyboard eating something with their bare hands.