Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

South Carolina planning a firing squad execution

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:03 pm

Your crimes took life. That's barbaric enough. Tuf for you... What would rather have, the guillotine?? There's just a slight twinge at the back of your neck, and then it's over...

A May 13 execution date has also been set for another inmate, Brad Sigmon, although a state judge is examining his legal argument that both electrocution and the firing squad are “barbaric” methods of killing.

https://apnews.com/article/business-exe ... 009be97053

seb146

Re: South Carolina planning a firing squad execution

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:18 pm

It's said the when someone is beheaded, the brain still functions, but it is not known how long. After Phillip Seymore Hoffman overdosed, I read an article by some medical person what happens during a heroin overdose.

There are states with medically assisted suicide and the "suicide pod" so why not do those?

N5301D

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm

We should absolutely bring back public executions in the US. In my opinion, this is the only way we will stop violent crimes from occurring. The sheer humiliation of the experience for the perpetrator should provide adequate deterrence and it also has a way of bringing communities together in solidarity against crime.

Aesma

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:36 pm

N5301D wrote:
We should absolutely bring back public executions in the US. In my opinion, this is the only way we will stop violent crimes from occurring. The sheer humiliation of the experience for the perpetrator should provide adequate deterrence and it also has a way of bringing communities together in solidarity against crime.

It didn't work in the past, why would it work now ?

It does the exact opposite of what you're suggesting, it gives people the feeling that killing is something acceptable, worthy even of a spectacle.

flipdewaf

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Is there any evidence that capital punishment works as a means to reduce crime or is it just retribution that makes people feel better?

What happens with a miscarriage of justice with capital punishment?

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N5301D

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:58 pm

I prefer the guillotine. In public view, for all to see.

N5301D

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:14 pm

Yes, let's equivocate helpless toddlers trapped in the womb with convicted murderers.

flipdewaf

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:23 pm

N5301D wrote:
Yes, let's equivocate helpless toddlers trapped in the womb with convicted murderers.

I assume by toddler you mean foetus(yay for education) but I agree with you, it’s a silly equivalence, one of them in unequivocally a human being the other is much less less definitive…

Fred

Last edited by flipdewaf on Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:29 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Is there any evidence that capital punishment works as a means to reduce crime or is it just retribution that makes people feel better?

Fred

It would be far more effective if people sentenced to death didn’t spend decades in prison before it’s carried out. If they were given a single appeal within 24 months of conviction, if that fails they are put down with 2 months and that’s it.

flipdewaf

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

It would be far more effective if people sentenced to death didn’t spend decades in prison before it’s carried out. If they were given a single appeal within 24 months of conviction, if that fails they are put down with 2 months and that’s it.

“far more effective” suggests it has a degree of effectiveness now. What is it effective at?

Fred

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:41 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

“far more effective” suggests it has a degree of effectiveness now. What is it effective at?

Fred

It’s not much of a deterrent at the moment, its application is poor. I believe it would be significantly more effective if A. more people were sentenced to death and B. when sentenced it doesn’t take decades before they are put down.

flipdewaf

Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:55 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Fred

It’s not much of a deterrent at the moment, its application is poor. I believe it would be significantly more effective if A. more people were sentenced to death and B. when sentenced it doesn’t take decades before they are put down.

Is there any evidence to show any effect as a deterrent?

bennett123

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:43 pm

The problem is that too many people have been convicted and either hung or spent years in prison after dodgy convictions.

That is why the death penalty was scrapped in the UK.

ltbewr

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:26 pm

The consideration of using of guns in death penalty executions 'firing squads', had seen some consideration for return to use in USA states that still carry out death penalties as drug based executions have become near impossible to use. in too many drug executions there were obscenely tortuous deaths, procedures didn't work as planned, too difficult to get the drugs needed and that need a doctor to set up in conflict with medical ethics. Guns and bullets are legal, likely little problems in finding [sick] persons willing to conduct them and if properly done kills instantly with minimal physical pain. The main disadvantage is that it can leave a mess of body fluids and flesh. Of course there is hanging but that has issues of too often a torturous death so can't be used. Toxic gases were discontinued due to technical issues, seen as a cruel death and taboos on its use due to them used in the mass murder in Nazi era Germany's Holocaust.

Some have suggested uses of gases like nitrogen or guillotine, drugs like Fentanyl, but each has their potential cruelty, safe, clean, easy and ethical use. Of course there a lot of legal, justice, fears of executing innocent people due to many factors challenging the use of the death penalty in the first place as well as with methods.

Personally I would like to see the end of the death penalties on the Federal level and in all states, procedures put in prevent and review for miscarriages of justice for any person facing long jail term sentences and more humane jails that would be tough but not cruel.

Kiwirob

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:53 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

It’s effectiveness doesn’t really concern me; however there are some individuals who are guilty beyond doubt like Brenton Tarrant and Anders Breivik, who should be put to death rather than be allowed to continue breathing.

scbriml

Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:55 am

Kiwirob wrote:

And what about all the ones who spend years on death row only to be cleared? If you had your way, they'd all be dead. Great system.

scbriml

Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:59 am

N5301D wrote:

There's zero evidence that any punishment is a deterrence to murder, but it's an interesting take for a pro-lifer.

N5301D wrote:

Wait, what? First they were "babies", now they're "toddlers trapped in the womb". :lol:

art

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:01 am

flipdewaf wrote:

In every year from 1990-2019 the murder rate in US states with the death penalty has been higher than the murder rate in those without the death penalty.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and- ... lty-states

The figures are bizarre to me.

If the death penalty is a deterrent, murder rates for states with it should be lower than in those without it. Not the case.
If the death penalty is NOT a deterrent, murder rates for states with it should be the same as in those without it. Not the case.
Logically one could argue that the existence of the death penalty increases murder rates.

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:33 am

art wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

In every year from 1990-2019 the murder rate in US states with the death penalty has been higher than the murder rate in those without the death penalty.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and- ... lty-states

The figures are bizarre to me.

If the death penalty is a deterrent, murder rates for states with it should be lower than in those without it. Not the case.
If the death penalty is NOT a deterrent, murder rates for states with it should be the same as in those without it. Not the case.
Logically one could argue that the existence of the death penalty increases murder rates.

Yes, it’s hardly surprising that the organisation who codify and put limits on morals show that killing another human is acceptable then society will likely kill more people.

Imagine trying to stop a child being aggressive by hitting them…

As far as I can tell the death penalty is put in place by those who value their feelings over facts and would rather react to primitive urges of retribution than act in a considered way to prevent the issue.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sierrakilo44

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:06 am

N5301D wrote:

There's far more effective ways of reducing crime. The US needs a proper social safety net, a more equal society, less ingrained racism in policing and general society. Criminal justice that focuses on rehabilitation not punishment.

Look to Europe. More humane prisons, strong social safety net, and a murder rate about 1/5th of the US.

Death penalty means nothing. Even outside the US it doesn't make a difference. Hong Kong and Singapore have a similar living standard and culture. Murder rate is the same in both (very low). Hong Kong hasn't executed someone in 60 years wheares Singapore has executed 100 people in the last 20 years. Capital punishment in Singpaore has made no difference.

All it is is an excuse for "tough on crime" politicians to look tough and win votes. Innocent people are executed with frightening regularity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Todd_Willingham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Lucio

art

Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:11 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
All it is is an excuse for "tough on crime" politicians to look tough and win votes. Innocent people are executed with frightening regularity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Todd_Willingham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Lucio

The execution of people convicted of a crime they did not commit is something I cannot accept. If you agree with capital punishment, you have to accept such terminal injustice. I hear of instances in the US of inexperienced lawyers being appointed to defend people accused of murder. In an adversarial system, that is bound to result in convictions where the accused did not commit the crime yet is nevertheless killed.

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:13 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It’s effectiveness doesn’t really concern me; however there are some individuals who are guilty beyond doubt like Brenton Tarrant and Anders Breivik, who should be put to death rather than be allowed to continue breathing.

You just want to feed the primitive desire for retribution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aesma

Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:29 pm

The death penalty used to be common everywhere, as some here want it to be again. It used to be public, it used to be gruesome, etc. Murder rates were still infinitely higher back then, so clearly, it didn't work.

scbriml

Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:30 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

If it means there's zero chance of an innocent person being incorrectly executed, then I'm happy that the likes of Breivik continue to breath.

NIKV69

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:28 pm

scbriml wrote:
There's zero evidence that any punishment is a deterrence to murder, but it's an interesting take for a pro-lifer.

Seems to work in Singapore.

As for the OP question nobody who has been beheaded can tell us if they feel pain so I am going to defer to lethal injection. Either way I believe in an eye for an eye so see ya buddy.

scbriml

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

So there's no murder in Singapore? If it "works" in Singapore, why doesn't it work in America?

NIKV69 wrote:
Either way I believe in an eye for an eye so see ya buddy.

That old testament lack of enlightenment leaves the World blind, so you won't see me buddy.

So where do you stand on those executed who weren't guilty, or are you sufficiently naive to believe it's never happened?

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:06 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

In what sense does it “work”.
NIKV69 wrote:

In what sense do you believe in it?

Do you believe in it in that it’s a thing that someone can do or a way in which they can behave or is your ‘belief’ in the fact that behaving in such a way has a particular outcome, if it’s the latter can you demonstrate that it is true or have evidence for such?

For clarity I believe in Christianity because Christianity is a thing, I don’t believe in the stories of Christianity to be useful representations of history or fact.

Fred

Aesma

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:12 pm

So NIKV69 you want to impose your religion on us all. I thought this was banned in the US constitution ?

art

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:34 pm

South Carolina just instituted the firing squad option last year, giving condemned inmates the choice between that and electrocution, prompted by an inability to procure lethal injection drugs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... quad-works

About inability to procure lethal injection drugs, would that be because drug companies find it unethical for drugs developed to enhance life to be repurposed to end life?

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:36 pm

art wrote:
South Carolina just instituted the firing squad option last year, giving condemned inmates the choice between that and electrocution, prompted by an inability to procure lethal injection drugs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... quad-works

About inability to procure lethal injection drugs, would that be because drug companies find it unethical for drugs developed to enhance life to be repurposed to end life?

Conservative christians prayed hard for a way to snuff out lives willy nilly left and right once corporations by happenstance happened to stumble on some ethics and the lordt delivered! #praiseHim!

sierrakilo44

Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:22 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Singapore and Hong Kong have a similar culture and living standard. Singapore has executed about 100 people in the last 20 years whereas Hong Kong hasn’t executed anyone in 60 years.

But the murder rate in both places is similar (very, very low). Which tells us there are other reasons for the low murder rate, and capital punishment has nothing to do with it.

NIKV69 wrote:

So we are instituting biblical standards for the death penalty then?

Get ready for executions for those convicted of adultery, witchcraft, cursing at parents, working on the sabbath, homosexuality, not being a virgin at marriage, blasphemy.....

Looks like I myself may have multiple “death sentences” awaiting me for these biblical crimes I’ve committed throughout my life....

casinterest

Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:17 am

At the end of the day promoting more gun violence should not be in the interest of Capital punishment in a world where we have enough gun violence already.

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:58 am

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

And what about all the ones who spend years on death row only to be cleared? If you had your way, they'd all be dead. Great system.

A few eggs get broken but when you're talking about people like Brenton Tarrant and Anders Breivik where there guilt is beyond reproach keeping them alive is a travesty.

scbriml

Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:45 am

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

A few eggs get broken but when you're talking about people like Brenton Tarrant and Anders Breivik where there guilt is beyond reproach keeping them alive is a travesty.

A few eggs get broken? We're not talking about eggs, but human beings. There's only one travesty here, and it's not Breivik.

While it seems you're prepared to throw anyone under the bus in your lust for revenge, I'm not.

Reinhardt

Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:43 am

Yet more evidence of the backwardness slide of the some parts of the US.

1/ It's no deterrent.
2/ Eye for an eye - keep your religious views to your self. Separation of church and state.
3/ Courts have continually found those sentenced to death to be innocent. Some were lucky (yeah still spent decades in jail) but were not killed, others not so lucky. I cannot accept any situation where an innocent person can be put to death.
4/ The state has no right to take a persons life, no matter what the reason.
5/ Revenge has no place in a civil society. You don't get to say what the sentence is for someone who did something to you, nor does your family. It's set by people elected / with experience.
6/ Jail is for punishment but also rehabilitation (where possible). You really need to put more money into mental health, and rehab. Maybe you wouldn't have such high numbers of folks in jail.

johns624

Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:29 pm

casinterest wrote:
At the end of the day promoting more gun violence should not be in the interest of Capital punishment in a world where we have enough gun violence already.
If you're equating capital punishment with "gun violence", then maybe you should fire off a note to Putin, because war is "gun violence" on a mass scale. That being said, "gun violence" is a deflection from what it really is "gang and drugs violence". It's just like we have a "drunk driver " problem, not a "car killing people" problem.

casinterest

Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:47 pm

johns624 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
If you're equating capital punishment with "gun violence", then maybe you should fire off a note to Putin, because war is "gun violence" on a mass scale. That being said, "gun violence" is a deflection from what it really is "gang and drugs violence". It's just like we have a "drunk driver " problem, not a "car killing people" problem.

No there is a an issue with Gun Violence, and using it as a public show of execution, only makes more people likely to use it.

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:12 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Yet more evidence of the backwardness slide of the some parts of the US.

1/ It's no deterrent.
2/ Eye for an eye - keep your religious views to your self. Separation of church and state.
3/ Courts have continually found those sentenced to death to be innocent. Some were lucky (yeah still spent decades in jail) but were not killed, others not so lucky. I cannot accept any situation where an innocent person can be put to death.
4/ The state has no right to take a persons life, no matter what the reason.
5/ Revenge has no place in a civil society. You don't get to say what the sentence is for someone who did something to you, nor does your family. It's set by people elected / with experience.
6/ Jail is for punishment but also rehabilitation (where possible). You really need to put more money into mental health, and rehab. Maybe you wouldn't have such high numbers of folks in jail.

The corrections industry in the US is a rapidly turning into for profit service like the health industry, they don’t make money if they don’t have people locked up.

johns624

Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm

casinterest wrote:
johns624 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

No there is a an issue with Gun Violence, and using it as a public show of execution, only makes more people likely to use it.
No, there's an issue with gang violence, and whether or not there is capital punishment by firing squad will have no influence on gangbangers.

casinterest

Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
johns624 wrote:

No, there's an issue with gang violence, and whether or not there is capital punishment by firing squad will have no influence on gangbangers.

https://www.gvpedia.org/gun-myths/gangs/
A December 2020 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report of 34 states, four California counties, and Washington, D.C., found that gang-related attacks were responsible for 11.4% of male homicides and 3.6% of female homicides in 2017, for 9.7% of overall homicides. The previous year, 7.4% of all homicides were gang-related.

it is not a gang issue when more than 80% of deaths aren't gang related.

Jalap

Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:46 pm

Aesma wrote:
N5301D wrote:

It didn't work in the past, why would it work now ?

It does the exact opposite of what you're suggesting, it gives people the feeling that killing is something acceptable, worthy even of a spectacle.

This.
Yet revenge feel soooo good.
Poor mankind.

SQ22

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:04 pm

This thread went off topic and will be locked.