Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

What selling platforms do you use?

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:52 pm

I was wondering, what selling platforms do you use?

My main ones are eBay, Mercari, Facebook Marketplace, and Poshmark. For clothing I also use Depop. Local sales that I can't ship I use OfferUp.

NIKV69

Re: What selling platforms do you use?

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Ebay mostly

johns624

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:47 pm

Ebay

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:41 pm

In terms of sales numbers on the platforms that I ship, eBay is by far my #1, followed by Facebook Marketplace in second, Mercari third, Poshmark fourth, and Depop fifth (I just made only my second sale on Depop today).

PlymSpotter

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:47 pm

eBay, Amazon FBA, Amazon Vendor and Facebook MarketPlace.

The other half has recently discovered Vinted, which is great because I can't build wardrobes fast enough to contain the new clothes she buys :D

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:19 pm

The other half has recently discovered Vinted, which is great because I can't build wardrobes fast enough to contain the new clothes she buys :D

I used Vinted a long time ago, but I left due to lack of users and recognition in the United States, so I think five platforms are enough. Men's clothing especially barely gets any traffic on Vinted since their user base is predominantly female, so not worth the hassle. Poshmark at least has a much stronger U.S. user base that there are enough potential male buyers.

PlymSpotter

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:35 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

I used Vinted a long time ago, but I left due to lack of users and recognition in the United States, so I think five platforms are enough. Men's clothing especially barely gets any traffic on Vinted since their user base is predominantly female, so not worth the hassle. Poshmark at least has a much stronger U.S. user base that there are enough potential male buyers.

I've not heard of Poshmark. Here in the UK Vinted is doing a major branding push, it's got a tonne of users and she seems to sell a lot. I've found a few pairs of shoes on there myself, good value for sure

ACDC8

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:55 pm

I don't buy much, thus I don't sell much. Any old clothes go to thrift stores.

However, when I minimized my personal belongings and clutter about 5 years ago, I used Kijiji.

WidebodyPTV

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:24 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

Sometimes you need a place to dispose of your old Powerpuff Girls stuff.

SL1200MK2

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:54 pm

Out of curiosity, what do you all sell on said platforms

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:55 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you all sell on said platforms

Mostly clothing (mainly IZOD and Nautica, with occasional Chaps, US Polo Assn, Van Heusen, and Arrow). I have also sold our old Delta kitchen faucet as well as my pastor's old Moen kitchen faucet, and am trying to sell his old Moen bathroom faucet. Also sold three Honeywell programmable thermostats, a pair of pink Mpow 059 headphones, a Leviton USB outlet, a Lutron Skylark dimmer, and Feit Electric smart light bulbs. Currently trying to sell a pink Bohm SoundBlock Bluetooth speaker.

william

Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:47 am

Ebay

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:50 pm

Just sold the pink BOHM SoundBlock Bluetooth speaker early today (on eBay).

c933103

Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:24 pm

This question is really localized... Would use different platforms depends on exactly where I am selling and what I am selling.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:56 pm

c933103 wrote:
This question is really localized... Would use different platforms depends on exactly where I am selling and what I am selling.

Depop is only fashion items. That used to be the case for Poshmark as well, but now Poshmark also allows Home and Electronics (the latter added last fall). eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Mercari are broader, allowing the sale of items in many different categories, although fashion is still the #1 category on Mercari (although I sold a pink OtterBox, a Honeywell thermostat, and Feit Electric smart lightbulbs there).

Clutch101

Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:19 am

eBay is a joke anymore. Can't understand why anyone would want to sell on that platform. Their fees are stupid high, they side with buyers on any dispute no matter what and now when you are paid your money goes into your checking account versus, in the past, your PayPal account. Used to love having a slush fund on PayPal to buy things etc. Not anymore, eBay sucks for selling. I now join niche Facebook groups if I have something to sell.

B777LRF

Sun May 01, 2022 6:36 am

Den Blå Avis.

Twice I’ve had something for sale; am not in the habit of acquiring things and then regretting it. The two items I sold were boats, and only because having more than one boat is too much work. One could argue that having just a single boat is one too many, and such an argument certainly holds merit, but I’ve been a sailor since the age of 5 so it’s in the blood.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2022 3:10 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

Sometimes you need a place to dispose of your old Powerpuff Girls stuff.

Speaking of Powerpuff Girls, I just sold a 6 DVD set of the original Powerpuff Girls Complete Series on eBay. I no longer need it since I can watch it on HBO Max.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon May 09, 2022 5:34 pm

I use estate auction houses when I need to get rid of things.
people bid up like crazy, even more than on eBay.

They come and take photos and list items, people can bid on them for about a month, and then people come and pick them up on a set day and it's all over with. They have people who are there to make sure the removal is organized and done right.

They charge buyers 15% which is how they make their money, and they charge me 15% and they collect taxes from the buyer and pay the state.

I also use offer/up. You can get some great deals, but the good items go quickly.