Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Mobile hot spot automatically disconnects

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:36 am

I use my Galaxy S10+ mobile hotspot type feature to connect to work when I'm working from home, see. Sometimes when I am finished with work and I shut down my ProBook10, five minutes later or so a little message fades on to my phone's screen saying "Mobile Hotspot disconnected." Makes all the sense in the world since the ProBook was the only thing connected to it.

So how come there are plenty of occasions on which I notice the mobile hotspot feature is still switched on, 45 minutes after I've shut the ProBook down?

casinterest

Re: Mobile hot spot automatically disconnects

Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:07 pm

The feature is still on, but if there is nothing paired, then it won't be active. When my kids use mine, I watch the power drain like hell.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:31 pm

When I get the "disconnected" message, the icon has gone from the task bar; the icon remains there when I haven't gotten the message (and have to switch the feature off manually).

(Though I'm starting think this is all just because the Galaxy S10 is an absolutely
exasperating steaming pile of near-useless crap (which it has given me at least 25 other reasons to think it is).)

PixelPilot

Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:53 pm

How do you disconnect the computer? Power off or sleep?

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:48 pm

PixelPilot wrote:

Power off, all the way.

phatfarmlines

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:54 pm

PixelPilot wrote:

:checkmark: This was going to be my question as well.

PixelPilot

Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:16 pm

Airstud wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Power off, all the way.

I don't have an android but is there any timeout setting for the hotspot?
Something is holding the link.
Do you have any wake on lan setting for wireless running in the background on the computer?
Even when "off" every laptop is technically fully powered and with WoL "on" the network adapter is always listening. Depending what are the settings this might be what you are looking for.

afcjets

Sun May 08, 2022 12:03 am

Airstud wrote:
I use my Galaxy S10+ mobile hotspot type feature to connect to work when I'm working from home, see. Sometimes when I am finished with work and I shut down my ProBook10, five minutes later or so a little message fades on to my phone's screen saying "Mobile Hotspot disconnected." Makes all the sense in the world since the ProBook was the only thing connected to it.

So how come there are plenty of occasions on which I notice the mobile hotspot feature is still switched on, 45 minutes after I've shut the ProBook down?

I'm not sure this is related but do you by chance have Sprint/T-Mobile? I have a Sprint plan I am supposedly grandfathered in on the T-Mobile network that came with Hotspot data. It worked fine until sometime around September. When I would connect it would say Connected, No Internet, no matter the phone (I used several including a brand new one I bought in the store only to show the T-Mobile manager the issue wasn't my phone, after months and countless hours of troubleshooting with T-Mobile, Sprint, Microsoft, Samsung, Motorola) I was using as a hotspot, and no matter the device I was connecting to it. While my plan to this day still says I get hotspot data, I get the same message and haven't gotten on the internet with it for over half of a year now. The unofficial consensus is T-Mobile is putting codes on certain plans they don't like in an effort to get you to change plans, as in pay more. T-Mobile was great before the merger. Sprint was great 15 years ago. Together they are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Since this is a.net full disclaimer, I haven't flown Spirit before and have no plans to (yet I actually like Frontier)