Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747

Re: Migrant Crisis at the Texas Border 2022

Mon May 02, 2022 4:53 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
When your despicable plan is discovered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/ ... 2247359489

Not nearly as despicable as allowing everyone to enter this country illegally with no questions asked simply because 7 out of 10 them will vote for you. It's sick actually.

Homer Simpson's mental image of the circus bear as ballet immediately comes to mind...

seb146

Mon May 02, 2022 7:00 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
They can. I was quoting the top affordability areas in the country. I don’t live there, but again… I am not complaining to a magical father, like a child, complaining I can’t afford to live where I want. That’s my responsibility to earn the money to take care of those needs. It’s also my responsibility not to use recreational drugs so much that I become a community problem. It’s about self respect and being a good citizen / community member.

And yes, for the third time… drug use and homelessness are related. Intimately related. If you spend $100-200 a day on heroin, that’s your rent money. That’s your housing, your food and your car payment. You are putting it in your arm. It’s amazing that this is news to people. I have to believe a lot of you do not live in areas with significant homeless population like I do. It’s almost entirely a drug and alcohol mental health issue. Not entirely.. but 80-90%.

That really doesn't make sense--if that were true then the Midwest and places like WV would have the highest homelessness in the country

You are on the right track. (1) yes, it really is true. (2) yes, a lot of homeless people did migrate from the interior US to places like LA, because of the open drug scene and the good weather. Why wouldn’t they? You are right about where a lot of them come from. Now what?

I would like to see statistics on internal migration and reasoning behind it. You can make a general statement like "of course drug addicts flocked to Southern California" but prove it. From what I have seen, people "flock" to cities because of the perception there are more opportunities for jobs and education and meeting the right (or wrong) people in larger cities. Drug addiction is everywhere. Clean and sober people don't simply pick up and leave a rural area so they can use drugs in the city. For some, it is, but for others, it is not. I can buy drugs right here. I don't need to drive five hours to Portland.

Perhaps things look worse in cities because there are more people and, therefore, more opportunities to see the exact same things than in rural areas?

seb146

Mon May 02, 2022 7:01 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Not nearly as despicable as allowing everyone to enter this country illegally with no questions asked simply because 7 out of 10 them will vote for you. It's sick actually.

Homer Simpson's mental image of the circus bear as ballet immediately comes to mind...

Can illegal immigrants vote?

MaverickM11

Mon May 02, 2022 7:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Can illegal immigrants vote?

Only in the minds of conservatives

scbriml

Mon May 02, 2022 7:19 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

The only place this is happening is in the heads of republicans.

MohawkWeekend

Mon May 02, 2022 7:25 pm

I'm a conservative Democrat. I know you guys don't think we exist but there are a few of us left. And yes, I know that illegals can't vote.

I also know that if the lifting of border restrictions goes bad later in May (DHS is planning for a worst case of up to 18,000 asylum seekers per day), there are going political ramifications that will swing this country hard right in November.

MohawkWeekend

Mon May 02, 2022 7:34 pm

The Hit's just keep on coming -
Home affordability is nearly the worst on record as mortgage rates spike. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/mortgag ... worst.html

Excerpt -
"The vast majority, 95%, of the 100 largest U.S. housing markets are now less affordable than their long-term levels, up from just 6% at the start of the Covid pandemic, according to Black Knight data.

If rates were to rise just 50 basis points more or home prices were to increase just 5% more, home affordability would be the worst on record."

Kinda shoots down that theory that there are plenty of affordable places to live in the US.

Aaron747

Mon May 02, 2022 11:07 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
Home affordability is nearly the worst on record as mortgage rates spike. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/mortgag ... worst.html

Excerpt -
"The vast majority, 95%, of the 100 largest U.S. housing markets are now less affordable than their long-term levels, up from just 6% at the start of the Covid pandemic, according to Black Knight data.

If rates were to rise just 50 basis points more or home prices were to increase just 5% more, home affordability would be the worst on record."

Kinda shoots down that theory that there are plenty of affordable places to live in the US.

Indeed it does - and the answer is simple - everything is relative. Sure, someone in IT or an RN can afford a place in any market, but service industry and blue collar pay depends on locality and the general trend since the early 1980s is that wage growth lags severely behind housing/health/childcare costs and those are the big three.

At national chain restaurants $6.99 menu items were commonplace in the early 2000s, while in recent years everything is $10.99 and up in almost any location. And that’s nothing compared to what has happened to health insurance premiums and monthly daycare fees in the same period.

CometII

Wed May 04, 2022 2:59 am

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

The funny thing is, they don't. In election after election, it has been proven that Hispanics, even recent arrivals, are anything but a monolith voting block. More voted for Trump the 2nd time around than the 1st. W got a very big increase in Hispanics voting for him. I still don't understand where conservatives get this idea that this group is automatically a democrat line balloter, when it is clearly not so.

I tell you who WILL be 7 out of 10 democrat, heck, I'd say 8 of 10: all the babies born post Roe vs Wade whom Republicans claim to love as their own but right after birth will abandon to a system with the worst Parental leave laws in the Western World (in fact in most of the world period), to promptly start them with 2 strikes against them: no father (likely), and no mother, since she will have to work two or even three jobs to keep both herself and the child afloat. And then further be set adrift in the severely underfunded and worst public education system in the developed world, both in educational results and safety. With no chance to grow in a healthy environment with two parents, or get a good solid education, they either will live off handouts, turn to crime, or be successful despite the odds but understand the value of an actual safety net for a nation's economic and social success. Thus clearly will be liberal either way :D

LMP737

Wed May 04, 2022 10:23 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Question, after the Immigration Act of1924 how many Italians came to the US illegally? How many suffered and/or died under a facist dictatorship or WW2 because they were not allowed in the US?

Aaron747

Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 am

LMP737 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Question, after the Immigration Act of1924 how many Italians came to the US illegally? How many suffered and/or died under a facist dictatorship or WW2 because they were not allowed in the US?

Why would he care about that? He’s here now, got his already...or something.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sun May 08, 2022 2:44 am

MohawkWeekend wrote:

Excerpt -

Thousands of people leasing homes, will have to move. Many older homes are being bought up to be raised and new condons being built in their place. I saw a story about this happening in Nashville.