Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wingman

Re: New Yorkers don't feel safe at home anymore

Sat May 07, 2022 3:18 pm

Redd wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Well DC isn’t a state, but right after DC n the high murder rate category are Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina and Tennessee. All fun loving GOP voting strongholds.

And take a look where the majority of those murders take place, in blue cities. All those fun-loving libs. Throw the blue cities out and you have those states fall waaaaay down the list.
Birmingham and Montgomery, Blue.
New Orleans (murder central) Blue,
Kansas City, Blue.
Little Rock, Blue.
Charleston, Blue.
Nashville, Very Blue

That's a good strategy, why just get rid of the blacks when you could get rid of whole cities? Leave all those states to the Redds, Bubbas and Johnny Crackers and everything would be lily white and peachy keen. Extermination fantasies aren't just a Russian thing I guess. Think of the consequences though. What happens to societies and countries when you leave the future to rural, white Christians? We tried that experiment for 2000 years and it was crappy. A version if that experiment is still ongoing in some countries today and it ain't pretty in any of 'em.

SQ22

Sat May 07, 2022 4:26 pm

Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.

seb146

Sat May 07, 2022 4:44 pm

Covid crime wave happened. It happened all across the country, not just "liberal" cities. Crime spikes when people are stuck inside. It is not "blame the libs" even though that is the favorite saying of Republicans. This happened because people were stuck inside and people, especially in low income areas (which are mostly minorities) that had few resources.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/2 ... ate-517226
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9622000135

Redd

Sun May 08, 2022 9:04 am

wingman wrote:

That's a good strategy, why just get rid of the blacks when you could get rid of whole cities? Leave all those states to the Redds, Bubbas and Johnny Crackers and everything would be lily white and peachy keen. Extermination fantasies aren't just a Russian thing I guess. Think of the consequences though. What happens to societies and countries when you leave the future to rural, white Christians? We tried that experiment for 2000 years and it was crappy. A version if that experiment is still ongoing in some countries today and it ain't pretty in any of 'em.

And now how is someone supposed to respond to your (aggressive, thought eliminating cliché) emotional dribble?
Last edited by Redd on Sun May 08, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redd

Sun May 08, 2022 9:07 am

SQ22 wrote:
Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.

In response to which cities are blue vs red on the list of those dangerous red states.

https://www.bestplaces.net/voting/city/ ... ew_orleans - For New Orleans, but all cities can be checked on this site.

Redd

Sun May 08, 2022 9:18 am

seb146 wrote:
Covid crime wave happened. It happened all across the country, not just "liberal" cities. Crime spikes when people are stuck inside. It is not "blame the libs" even though that is the favorite saying of Republicans. This happened because people were stuck inside and people, especially in low income areas (which are mostly minorities) that had few resources.

While crime across the board went up, yes, crime is highest in blue areas. It's the same in most of Western Europe. That's not even up for discussion, it's just the way it is. So instead of beating around the bush, Americans & Europeans should be having a conversation on how to bring down crime in the highest crime areas, and taking action. Pretending these high crime areas aren't high in crime, isn't going to help you Americans or us Europeans very much, is it?

NIKV69

Sun May 08, 2022 1:55 pm

seb146 wrote:

So crime should have went down as Covid waned which it did not in fact in NYC it's getting worse so this assertion that Covid caused this is nonsense. The no bail law is more to blame as is taking away stop and frisk IMO.All these smash and grab style crimes are a result of telling the bad guys nothing is going to happen to you so don't try to blame covid.

seb146

Sun May 08, 2022 3:05 pm

Redd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

While crime across the board went up, yes, crime is highest in blue areas. It's the same in most of Western Europe. That's not even up for discussion, it's just the way it is. So instead of beating around the bush, Americans & Europeans should be having a conversation on how to bring down crime in the highest crime areas, and taking action. Pretending these high crime areas aren't high in crime, isn't going to help you Americans or us Europeans very much, is it?

When there are large numbers of people, more things happen. More drugs, more shootings, more car accidents, more churches, more transit, and more Democrats. One theory there are more Democrats in cities is that people get out and interact with other people more. Not just from their own demographic, but from all demographics and are, therefore, more open to the idea of inclusion. Wokeness, as Republicans call it.

But, the point is, the more people, the more likely things happen.

hashtagconfused

Sun May 08, 2022 3:20 pm

so the people in new york the article discussed should not be allowed to not feel safe anymore since there is crime everywhere. too bad cnn didn't just tell them their feelings were wrong rather than publish an article in an effort to own the libs.

luckyone

Sun May 08, 2022 4:53 pm

I always take these things with a grain of salt. Crime does indeed happen everywhere. Crime indeed has increased in the last year or so. But I've also lived in a lot of different places from rural Georgia to the big evil crime ridden liberal corrupt hive of Chicago. My father's wallet was stolen out of his car in the rural North Georgia town we lived in -- just a few years ago there was a serious murder in the same county at a rural lakeside restaurant we frequented. His car was broken into in our suburban Atlanta driveway, and our suburban house was vandalized more than once. I parked my (nice) car on the streets of Chicago for years and never had a problem other than bumper rash. My wallet was TWICE returned to me in Chicago when it had dropped out of my car onto the street (working long overnight hours you occasionally do goofy things) -- once was in front of my apartment and someone returned it to the front desk, and the other was at the hospital where I worked, someone turned it into hospital security, who reached out to the local police who then reached out to CPD who called me to tell me they had my wallet, and I actually didn't even realize that I had lost it. So people need to take a step back from all the rhetoric.

STT757

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:14 pm

Median rent price in Manhattan reaches $4,000 for first time

In Manhattan, the median rent price reached $4,000 for the first time ever, according to Douglas Elliman’s just-released May rental market report — which tracks prices in Manhattan, Brooklyn and parts of Queens. That sky-high sum marks a 25.2% year-over-year climb from the $3,195 Manhattan median rent tallied in May 2021. It also comes as lease signings rise, and as listing inventory of available Manhattan rental units — which reached 19,025 homes last May — plummeted to 5,776 last month, a nearly 70% year-over-year drop.

Not only has the demand been fueled by New Yorkers, those who fled town during the worst of the coronavirus pandemic, gradually returning to the city as schools and offices have reopened — but also by remote-working out-of-towners moving to the Big Apple to take advantage of their ongoing flexibility.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/09/median-rent-price-in-manhattan-reaches-4000-for-first-time

Not only are people moving back to NYC who left during the pandemic, but now people who previously worked and lived elsewhere are now moving to NYC thanks to remote work.

leader1

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:34 pm

STT757 wrote:
Median rent price in Manhattan reaches $4,000 for first time

In Manhattan, the median rent price reached $4,000 for the first time ever, according to Douglas Elliman’s just-released May rental market report — which tracks prices in Manhattan, Brooklyn and parts of Queens. That sky-high sum marks a 25.2% year-over-year climb from the $3,195 Manhattan median rent tallied in May 2021. It also comes as lease signings rise, and as listing inventory of available Manhattan rental units — which reached 19,025 homes last May — plummeted to 5,776 last month, a nearly 70% year-over-year drop.

Not only has the demand been fueled by New Yorkers, those who fled town during the worst of the coronavirus pandemic, gradually returning to the city as schools and offices have reopened — but also by remote-working out-of-towners moving to the Big Apple to take advantage of their ongoing flexibility.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/09/median-rent-price-in-manhattan-reaches-4000-for-first-time

Not only are people moving back to NYC who left during the pandemic, but now people who previously worked and lived elsewhere are now moving to NYC thanks to remote work.

NYC has now overtaken San Francisco as the most expensive place for renters in the US. Funny to see how Miami and Scottsdale round up the top ten. Both places were traditionally considered cheaper with regards to real estate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/28/the-25- ... tment.html

luckyone

Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:33 pm

leader1 wrote:
Funny to see how Miami and Scottsdale round up the top ten. Both places were traditionally considered cheaper with regards to real estate.

Growth begets increased cost of living. It'll be interesting to see how much those cities continue to grow in a housing downturn AND cost of living equilibration, given that so much of Florida and Arizona's growth has been from people cashing in from real estate sales in New York and California.

LCDFlight

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:17 pm

Redd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Human nature is the same everywhere. If you incubate a lot of fatherless, jobless males in your area, there is going to be crime.

Then the question is, do you enforce laws or not. In many areas, would-be criminals are scared shitless of the consequences of getting locked up for criminal activity. In other areas, criminals have nothing to fear, and casually go about their business victimizing others.

None of this is new or unknown. Someone in 1840 could have written the same info, just with less statistical proof than we have now.

LCDFlight

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:20 pm

luckyone wrote:
I always take these things with a grain of salt. Crime does indeed happen everywhere. Crime indeed has increased in the last year or so. But I've also lived in a lot of different places from rural Georgia to the big evil crime ridden liberal corrupt hive of Chicago. My father's wallet was stolen out of his car in the rural North Georgia town we lived in -- just a few years ago there was a serious murder in the same county at a rural lakeside restaurant we frequented. His car was broken into in our suburban Atlanta driveway, and our suburban house was vandalized more than once. I parked my (nice) car on the streets of Chicago for years and never had a problem other than bumper rash. My wallet was TWICE returned to me in Chicago when it had dropped out of my car onto the street (working long overnight hours you occasionally do goofy things) -- once was in front of my apartment and someone returned it to the front desk, and the other was at the hospital where I worked, someone turned it into hospital security, who reached out to the local police who then reached out to CPD who called me to tell me they had my wallet, and I actually didn't even realize that I had lost it. So people need to take a step back from all the rhetoric.

Georgia is high crime in general. Chicago is a spectrum from extremely high crime to low crime; depending on area. Overall, Illinois average would have better metrics than Georgia (this is the first time we could even be a little unsure which state is more prosperous).

KlimaBXsst

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm

Yes there does seem to be a lot of pushing and shoving of individuals by fine upstanding citizens onto the Subway Tracks lately.

I guess there are other benefits of living in the city though like safe affordable Ubers, Lyfts, and Taxis, unless of course you manage to get in a strangers car by mistake, which basically would not be someone else’s fault.

STT757

Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:45 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Yes there does seem to be a lot of pushing and shoving of individuals by fine upstanding citizens onto the Subway Tracks lately.

I guess there are other benefits of living in the city though like safe affordable Ubers, Lyfts, and Taxis, unless of course you manage to get in a strangers car by mistake, which basically would not be someone else’s fault.

NYC has the largest public school system in the Country, there are 1,722 public schools in the City of New York, 75,000 teachers and over 1.1 million students. Yet they have never suffered a school shooting. Yes there is crime in New York, however this category they are exceedingly safe. This is a category where young white males in suburbs and rural areas are more dangerous than poor males of color in cities.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:54 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:

There are a lot of benefits to living in the city. In Tokyo, for example, I can have any kind of experience or food I want on the weekend. I can go to crowded areas, quiet areas, artsy areas, down to earth areas, retro areas, modern areas, more than 30 nice parks, etc - and all without ever having to use a car or have concern about crime. Hell I even learned recently there are three bars modeled after 1920s speakeasies. Big cities that work well are great.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:02 pm

Schools and education are important regardless of colour or socioeconomic levels. I am glad New York is seemingly having success at this level according to your above information. Maybe this will create a mass migration of parents with children into the area, for I know parents value safety. How are the stabbings in New York schools, said rhetorically. I personally hope for NO violence what do ever near schools. They are suppose to be a place of calm in which kids feel safe and ready to be eager to learn.

Perhaps Ohio needs to be mentioned in the hope of doing better.

https://radaronline.com/p/lebron-james- ... en-school/

Virtual737

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I bought three guns for hunting coat pigeons in the last year.

One for each arms and..... clever dick?

MrPeanut

Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:37 pm

william wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/30/us/new-york-crime-safety-fears/index.html

Residents say they're overwhelmed with fear and anxiety, as the NYPD struggles to rein in crime. Just as NYC is getting its infrastructure together. Had great times in Times Square.

LOL.....I could see this coming the day the "de-fund the police" nonsense starting spewing around. People were thinking emotionally rather than logically when making this statement.

Not only did this never make sense, but those communities that wanted this are now getting what they asked for, which is chaos.

So now you are faced with a situation where:
1.) Departments in some cities are under-funded to address crime
2.) Struggle to hire talent because potential talent knows they do not have the tools necessary to protect not only themselves but the public as well
3.) Many current officers lack the will to perform the job because all their actions are publicly scrutinized by twitter idiots
4.) Cities like SF and Seattle allow people to steal items $1,000 with little to no repercussions
5.) Prosecutors are not prosecuting as many cases
6.) Criminals know about 1-5 hence the spike in crime.

Also the demilitarization of police is another idiotic move. Why do you think police have militarize over the decades? It's not because they are fighting criminals who are armed with sticks and stones, but rather criminals with automatic guns and armor.

I am still amazed at how foolish people were on this topic.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:04 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I bought three guns for hunting coat pigeons in the last year.

One for each arms and..... clever dick?

Nope, and it’s actually four, maybe six, all competition clays guns. I lost count. 3 12g for sporting clays and FITASC. One more with 12 and carrier barrel for skeet, a sub-gauge Beretta for, well, sub-gauge, events. A M12 pump in 20g and a .410 O/U. What’s that? 7, I guess.

leader1

Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
william wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/30/us/new-york-crime-safety-fears/index.html

Residents say they're overwhelmed with fear and anxiety, as the NYPD struggles to rein in crime. Just as NYC is getting its infrastructure together. Had great times in Times Square.

LOL.....I could see this coming the day the "de-fund the police" nonsense starting spewing around. People were thinking emotionally rather than logically when making this statement.

Not only did this never make sense, but those communities that wanted this are now getting what they asked for, which is chaos.

So now you are faced with a situation where:
1.) Departments in some cities are under-funded to address crime
2.) Struggle to hire talent because potential talent knows they do not have the tools necessary to protect not only themselves but the public as well
3.) Many current officers lack the will to perform the job because all their actions are publicly scrutinized by twitter idiots
4.) Cities like SF and Seattle allow people to steal items $1,000 with little to no repercussions
5.) Prosecutors are not prosecuting as many cases
6.) Criminals know about 1-5 hence the spike in crime.

Also the demilitarization of police is another idiotic move. Why do you think police have militarize over the decades? It's not because they are fighting criminals who are armed with sticks and stones, but rather criminals with automatic guns and armor.

I am still amazed at how foolish people were on this topic.

You know, Texas’ misdemeanor limit for stolen property is $2,500. But I don’t see people complain about that, even though Texas isn’t exactly the safest state.

https://www.texasdwisite.com/blog/2021/ ... in-texas-/

Even in California, if the value you steal is less than $1000, you can still get jail time. And it’s considered a felony if you already had prior charges.

The big issue was prosecutors simply refusing to change anything. That’s why things got out of control in San Francisco because Boudin treated his DA job like the public defender he was before. Gasgon in LA is doing the same thing and that’s why it’s become a mess.

The sad thing is that some of these prosecutors got re-elected in spite of their abysmal records. Just take Larry Krasner, DA of Philadelphia. Got elected in 2017, implemented much of the same policies that Boudin did in San Francisco and crime spiked. Murders have doubled since he first got elected and the good citizens of Philadelphia STILL elected him for a second term last year. I guess some locales have a higher tolerance for crime than others.

CitizenJustin

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:20 am

stratosphere wrote:
wingman wrote:
Where do Americans feel safe? 20M guns flooding the country every year tells me there isn't a safe place anywhere in this joint. In the league of advanced nations we've always been the deadliest by a wide margin. It doesn't matter who the President is. It's how we roll and it'll never change. The only thing I can point to is the water.

AAHH yes the too many guns argument. Well since the OP is referencing NYC I will start there. I grew up in northern NJ very close to Manhattan, NJ and NY have always had strict gun laws in fact if you got caught with a gun in NYC it was one year in jail mandatory and it was well advertised. I would drive into NYC and first thing you were met by the "squeegee" guys soon as you had to stop when you came out of any of the tunnels and bridges from NJ. Rain or shine they would shakedown drivers for a handout by squeegeeing your windows regardless if you wanted it or not. NYC was a sewer in a lot of places like the 42 street . Well I remember well when Mayor David Dinkins finally got beat out by Rudi Giuliani you can say what you want about the Giuliani of today which I think he's lost his mind. But there is no doubt the early years of Giuliani were pretty remarkable. From his tough stance on the mob and prosecution of them when he was a US attorney to when he became mayor and instilled police policies like "Broken Windows" and other zero tolerance policies. You can argue they were unfair or racist but there is no argument that they had an effect. NYC was transformed from the sewer it once was to a city people actually wanted to go visit and felt safe and that mindset carried over in to the Bloomberg administration when Michael Bloomberg became mayor and continued and even expanded stop and frisk. I don't care what anyone says and how unfair it seems those policies worked. Now NYC is back to the cesspool it once was where no one wants to go there.

NYC saw a record 2,245 murders in 1991. There were 485 murders in 2021. This is a slight increase over 468 in 2020. This is a tremendous decrease overall and violent crime remains well below record levels set in the 80’s/90’s. The apocalyptic doom and gloom is merely a product of the media’s exaggerations. There’s been an admitted spike but that’s different than an overall trend. The numbers indicate anything but the cesspool you describe.

afcjets

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:38 am

STT757 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

NYC has the largest public school system in the Country, there are 1,722 public schools in the City of New York, 75,000 teachers and over 1.1 million students. Yet they have never suffered a school shooting. Yes there is crime in New York, however this category they are exceedingly safe. This is a category where young white males in suburbs and rural areas are more dangerous than poor males of color in cities.

I bet most schools in NYC have a single point of entry, or obviously a very limited number, whereas schools in less urban areas don't.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:44 am

The issue is young murderers and victims. Gang crime...
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-cit ... e-czar.amp

"It's clear what we are confronting: A perception among criminals that there are no consequences, even for serious crime," NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said Wednesday during a news conference to announce the crime statistics.

I have friends who are Sheriffs (in California)who are getting frustrated as they stop criminals and they are back on the street in hours. People respond to the change in crime. It isn't just murders and it feels like so much crime (shoplifting) was just made not a crime.

I know there are areas in the early 2000s, including areas of NYC, that I would happily go that I won't now. Perhaps it is a side effect of lockdown, but I believe people are looking for a feeling of security.

The broken windows analogy is still true, in my opinion.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:54 pm

Seattle in November elected a mayor and prosecutor who have some backbone. People expected the pair to be a little faster, but they are moving. We have judges who simply don't care about public safety and the rights of the general population. The prosecutor is beginning by addressing the IIRC 800 people with the worst record. She also intends to drop several thousand cases. Doing the 800 requires more deputy prosecutors, agreements with the judicial system, and probably the amount of cell space in jails.

ps - I have wondered if those who commit serious crimes downtown could be forbidden to be in downtown. Many of the crimes they commit would not be available for them in neighborhoods. Their crimes of somewhat crimes of opportunity.

STT757

Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:13 pm

afcjets wrote:
STT757 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

I bet most schools in NYC have a single point of entry, or obviously a very limited number, whereas schools in less urban areas don't.

They all follow fire codes.

luckyone

Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Seattle in November elected a mayor and prosecutor who have some backbone. People expected the pair to be a little faster, but they are moving. We have judges who simply don't care about public safety and the rights of the general population. The prosecutor is beginning by addressing the IIRC 800 people with the worst record. She also intends to drop several thousand cases. Doing the 800 requires more deputy prosecutors, agreements with the judicial system, and probably the amount of cell space in jails.

ps - I have wondered if those who commit serious crimes downtown could be forbidden to be in downtown. Many of the crimes they commit would not be available for them in neighborhoods. Their crimes of somewhat crimes of opportunity.

That’s a double edged sword as far as some people are concerned. After the January 2020 shooting on 3rd Ave and the stepped up police presence, the urban outdoorsmen of 3rd Avenue ventured elsewhere, which just got the response of “I knew not to go down 3rd Avenue. Now they’re near my house.”

afcjets

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:16 pm

STT757 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They all follow fire codes.

And so will schools in other areas if and when they create a single point of entry, much like airport concourses with a single point of entry follow local fire codes.

cjg225

Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:21 pm

afcjets wrote:
And so will schools in other areas if and when they create a single point of entry, much like airport concourses with a single point of entry follow local fire codes.

Well, you can have a lot of exits to comply with fire codes (one-way doors), but you're still going to have multiple points of entry even in an airport concourse... they're just a lot harder to get through. Getting through the front door is different than breaching a small employee entrance. Can be done, but presents more of a challenge.

Same with the NY school analogy.

SEAorPWM

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:34 am

I hate to dig up an old thread, but this story seems to be making the headlines in the US today:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/26/teen-free ... f-control/

Do New Yorkers really think lowering the age of adulthood back to 16 is going to solve all these problems as this "editorial" suggests? It seems Mayor Adams is on board.

What happens with 15 year olds who act this way? This guy was 15 when he committed his first arrest, and he therefore would have been sent to Family Court and released under the old (archaic and inconsistent) set of laws (read: Raise the Age had nothing to do with the first release).

Most other states seem to handle clearly violent 16 year old criminals in a way that takes them out of society, without throwing other 16/17 y/o's charged with more minor crimes in adult jail. Why can't NY figure this out?

CometII

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:58 pm

luckyone wrote:
leader1 wrote:
Funny to see how Miami and Scottsdale round up the top ten. Both places were traditionally considered cheaper with regards to real estate.

Growth begets increased cost of living. It'll be interesting to see how much those cities continue to grow in a housing downturn AND cost of living equilibration, given that so much of Florida and Arizona's growth has been from people cashing in from real estate sales in New York and California.

Miami's dynamics in this cycle are significantly different from Arizona, and even the rest of Florida. It's not just Northeastern retirees, or even West Coast transplants. There is a real housing shortage even without those groups, and then add all the rich Europeans, Russians and South Americans to the mix, PLUS people in the area avoiding buildings that are nearing recertification for fear of skyrocketing costs of repars (remember Surfside), and it is making people chase even a smaller pool of units.