Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Going to Atlanta June 20-25

Sun May 01, 2022 9:49 pm

Two adults and two kids will be going. Personally I want to hit the Delta Airlines heritage museum. Is there anybody out there that may be able to give me in my party a private tour if that's doable? Also is there any kid friendly activities for a nine year old besides the Coca-Cola museum? Please comment below. Thank you so much in advance for the recommendations.

TWA772LR

Re: Going to Atlanta June 20-25

Mon May 02, 2022 3:34 am

CNN is pretty cool and the Atlanta Aquarium is supposed to be amazing

luckyone

Mon May 02, 2022 11:15 am

Don’t waste your time at the World of Coke. It’s expensive. And a lot of standing in video presentations that will bore most kids. The only thing they would like is trying the different sodas from around the world; which is at the end of the tour. I would verify that this is still available post pandemic otherwise your kids will absolute gripe.

The aquarium is much better. Stone Mountain Park or Kennesaw Mountain are also great family activities. Just bring sunscreen because Atlanta is already roasting in June.

casinterest

Mon May 02, 2022 12:36 pm

Six Flags over Georgia, A Braves MLB Game, and Atlanta Soccer Game. Children's museum. Zoo, CNN Tour

william

Mon May 02, 2022 1:09 pm

The kids will love Stone Mountain and the various activities ( I personally loved the train ride around the mountain), make sure to take the gondola to the top of the mountain. The Aquarium is world class. And for some Black flavor there is Tyler Perry Studios (should be allowing tours) and Spellman and Morehouse HBCUs.

stlgph

Mon May 02, 2022 3:43 pm

CNN tour is hardly with it any more. Most of the shows and production is now in NYC and Washington, D.C. It's a shell of its former self in the heyday. I think the only thing that goes on out of there at this point is Morning Express and the CNN wire services.

World of Coca-Cola is okay to do once if you *really* have to do it. Otherwise, you can read the Wikipedia page and save yourself the time and money.

The Civil and Human Rights museum is also right in there - it's nice, but a lot of video/visual displays.

The Aquarium is pretty awesome. I'd put more money into this and buy a better experience.

On top of the other suggestions, there are several outdoor music venues. See if a band you like is going to be in town at the time.

The Carter Presidential Library is neat to visit. *Really* enjoyed that one.

william

Mon May 02, 2022 3:54 pm

MCOflyer wrote:
Two adults and two kids will be going. Personally I want to hit the Delta Airlines heritage museum. Is there anybody out there that may be able to give me in my party a private tour if that's doable? Also is there any kid friendly activities for a nine year old besides the Coca-Cola museum? Please comment below. Thank you so much in advance for the recommendations.

You MUST go the Delta Museum. Be prepared to get a little teary eye when you see the Spirit of Delta......................it was a little emotional. The 747 on display is cool too.

I was surprised how popular it is with the tourists, can be very busy, best to go in the morning. Porsche USA HQ is nearby too.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2022 3:56 pm

Thanks fellow members. I've been relaying the information to my sister who will be in charge of the trip. Cannot wait to go up there.

TriJets

Mon May 02, 2022 4:24 pm

Agree with everyone else who recommends the Delta Flight Museum. Just know that they are closed on Wednesdays and randomly on other weekdays for special events. They have a calendar on their website that shows the days that they are closed. Last time I was there they had a 737-200 simulator that you could book but it was a bit pricey.

A bit touristy but you may want to check out The Varsity while you are there. Local fast food chain that has pretty decent burgers for being fast food. Definitely a spot that a lot of people check out. The original one is downtown but they have a few locations in the suburbs as well.

luckyone

Mon May 02, 2022 4:59 pm

TriJets wrote:
Agree with everyone else who recommends the Delta Flight Museum. Just know that they are closed on Wednesdays and randomly on other weekdays for special events. They have a calendar on their website that shows the days that they are closed. Last time I was there they had a 737-200 simulator that you could book but it was a bit pricey.

A bit touristy but you may want to check out The Varsity while you are there. Local fast food chain that has pretty decent burgers for being fast food. Definitely a spot that a lot of people check out. The original one is downtown but they have a few locations in the suburbs as well.

Very true. They are an original "drive-in" but you may want to eat inside depending on the weather. A "classic'' Varsity treat is an "FO," or Frosted Orange (which is basically an orange sherbet smoothie). Some people love them, some people aren't crazy for them. To me they resemble a melted orange creamsickle. I much prefer their chocolate milkshake. Their onion rings are great. None of it is what one would call heart friendly, but you're on vacation.