Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bpatus297

Re: Supreme Court is preparing to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Tue May 10, 2022 2:02 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

If someone is arguing from the perspective that women don’t know what they want or their feelings/motivations for the decision are irrelevant, than yes, the nuance is lacking regardless of ‘side’. In a human issue, if the ‘why’ isn’t even being discussed, side ceases to matter. It’s just ignorance at that point.

I'm talking across the spectrum, You like to claim nuance in the arguments that you are making, but I don't know if I have ever seen you cede it to the other side of the argument. Just my observation.

You have a few hundred posts here whereas I’ve been around almost twenty years, so your observation is a little lacking in sample size I guess.

I have been around for at least five years, I have seen plenty of your posts to make that observation.

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 2:08 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

You are all over the place.

Based on your last sentence, you are OK if it has to be done by due date. If the mother says she doesn't want to on due date, then, its over.

Pretty black and white to me.

On the contrary, all of us who have expressed a negative view on Roe in this thread, are very grey, since we believe (most of us) that rape, incest, and the health of the mother can be an exception.

Who is black and white then? That's a fairly moderate view.

All over the place? Can you be more specific?

In the last sentence ‘have one’ refers to an abortion, not a child. Read it over and over again until that sinks in. Literally the paragraph before I clearly said I don’t support voluntary abortion after medically-designated viability - that’s minimum 12 weeks before due date dude.

Thanks for the clarification.

You are grey then. However, most of the other pro-choice posters aren't. They as you have read have stated or implied there shouldn't be any limits.

None of us on the right have said there shouldn't be NO abortions. We are grey. So no, its not us being part of the black and white group.

Sorry I don’t consider making the feelings or motivations of women irrelevant ‘grey’ - that was my whole point about the difference between how people live real life and making this a black/white thing.

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 2:10 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I'm talking across the spectrum, You like to claim nuance in the arguments that you are making, but I don't know if I have ever seen you cede it to the other side of the argument. Just my observation.

You have a few hundred posts here whereas I’ve been around almost twenty years, so your observation is a little lacking in sample size I guess.

I have been around for at least five years, I have seen plenty of your posts to make that observation.

Then your observation itself lacks a nuanced lens. Plenty of times I have acknowledged reasonable points or established an understanding of where a middling view may actually reside on something.

AirWorthy99

Tue May 10, 2022 2:11 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

In the last sentence ‘have one’ refers to an abortion, not a child. Read it over and over again until that sinks in. Literally the paragraph before I clearly said I don’t support voluntary abortion after medically-designated viability - that’s minimum 12 weeks before due date dude.

You are grey then. However, most of the other pro-choice posters aren't. They as you have read have stated or implied there shouldn't be any limits.

None of us on the right have said there shouldn't be NO abortions. We are grey. So no, its not us being part of the black and white group.

Sorry I don’t consider making the feelings or motivations of women irrelevant ‘grey’ - that was my whole point about the difference between how people live real life and making this a black/white thing.

Well, that's your prerogative. I also don't consider the lives of the innocent unborn irrelevant. We all have different viewpoints, even if we would like to dismiss the others as bad just because you might not like it.

I can think millions of things from the people who are in favor of unlimited on demand abortion, but I won't just dismiss them as bad people. Just people with different opinions. There was a time when we learned to be tolerant of different viewpoints and agree to disagree.

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 2:15 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Well, that's your prerogative. I also don't consider the lives of the innocent unborn irrelevant. We all have different viewpoints, even if we would like to dismiss the others as bad just because you might not like it.

I can think millions of things from the people who are in favor of unlimited on demand abortion, but I won't just dismiss them as bad people. Just people with different opinions. There was a time when we learned to be tolerant of different viewpoints and agree to disagree.

I can’t ‘agree to disagree’ when people are trying to enforce that there’s only one correct way to live or make life decisions. Women have a hard enough life in most places without that shit.

It’s fine if people have feelings about the unborn, but until there is established consensus on when life begins, there is no basis for hard legislation/criminalization of that choice so long as its made with proper medical consultation.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Tue May 10, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emperortk

Tue May 10, 2022 2:16 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

You are all over the place.

Based on your last sentence, you are OK if it has to be done by due date. If the mother says she doesn't want to on due date, then, its over.

Pretty black and white to me.

On the contrary, all of us who have expressed a negative view on Roe in this thread, are very grey, since we believe (most of us) that rape, incest, and the health of the mother can be an exception.

Who is black and white then? That's a fairly moderate view.

Can you point to any posts where has this been stated? Most pro-choice supporters don't want non-medically necessary abortions after viability or in the third trimester. This is clearly indicated by polls including one that was posted up thread.

AirWorthy99

Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I can’t ‘agree to disagree’ when people are trying to enforce that there’s only one correct way to live or make life decisions. Women have a hard enough life in most places without that shit.

It’s fine if people have feelings about the unborn, but until there is established consensus on when life begins, there is no basis for hard legislation/criminalization of that choice so long as its made with proper medical consultation.

Your first sentence is very black/white.
Your last is pretty grey.

I don't know why its so hard to be consistent, the ones against Roe have been pretty consistent, pretty much for almost 50 years now.

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 2:32 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

I don't know why its so hard to be consistent, the ones against Roe have been pretty consistent, pretty much for almost 50 years now.

Those two sentences are within the same larger context, and in relation to one another, are completely consistent. Since there is no medical/biological consensus that establishes a reason to restrict abortion more strictly than the viability criteria in Roe, there is no logical basis for limiting people's freedoms only based on feelings.

Roe set three important precedents: the beginning of life cannot be resolved in court with evidence of scientific consensus, abortion cannot be an unlimited exercise and states can reasonably regulate it, and regulations should take medical opinion on fetal viability into account.

AirWorthy99

Tue May 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Those two sentences are within the same larger context, and in relation to one another, are completely consistent. Since there is no medical/biological consensus that establishes a reason to restrict abortion more strictly than the viability criteria in Roe, there is no logical basis for limiting people's freedoms only based on feelings.

Roe set three important precedents: the beginning of life cannot be resolved in court with evidence of scientific consensus, abortion cannot be an unlimited exercise and states can reasonably regulate it, and regulations should take medical opinion on fetal viability into account.

Ok, pretty soon, and very likely Roe is going to be overturned. Any legal argument will soon fade, Roe will be in the same league as Dred Scott.

Therefore, it will be a state issue, unless congress does something. But something tells me that even if Congress does something, it will fall to the states anyways. Even if Congress does something to appease either the left or right.

The obvious solution will be a constitutional amendment if you want this federally protected.

That's the discussion we are to have very soon. But as I mentioned earlier, pretty much this is not a priority for the American people. So doubtful we will keep this as a topic going forward.

MaverickM11

Tue May 10, 2022 2:48 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

LOL You people murdered doctors, blew up clinics, and bombed the Olympics, never mind endless additional attempts on lives, perpetual harassment, and doxing of care providers and recipients. Tough to find a more violent group of people than the pro life crowd.

But go on tell us about peaceful protesting. :roll:

Those are not my people, I am against those acts, but could you imagine if a conservative said "you people"!?!? Could you imagine the outrage that would be had. BTW, this is rhetorical, I know you wont agree/

*You people* just started calling all LGBTQ people and supporters pedophiles, so you can stop with the righteous feigned anger and take a long hard look in the mirror.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

LOL You people murdered doctors, blew up clinics, and bombed the Olympics, never mind endless additional attempts on lives, perpetual harassment, and doxing of care providers and recipients. Tough to find a more violent group of people than the pro life crowd.

Senate passes bill to boost security for Supreme Court

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-con ... 5fc06540b6

The bipartisan bill, which passed by voice vote with no objections, did not provide additional funding, which could come later. But it aims to put the court on par with the executive and legislative branches, making certain the nine justices are provided security as some protesters have gathered outside their homes. The bill now moves to the House for its consideration.

It's about Judges... which actually IS a world of difference from all of the side issues you just enumerated.
Try to keep on topic about a story about Judges...

The morbidly funny thing is the Supreme Court struck down a "buffer zone" around abortion clinics in 2014 which was instituted because of increased threats and violence from the right, up to and including murder and bombings. Protections for me--from peaceful protesters--but not for thee--from violent conservatives, as always.

Clutch101 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

The bipartisan bill, which passed by voice vote with no objections, did not provide additional funding, which could come later. But it aims to put the court on par with the executive and legislative branches, making certain the nine justices are provided security as some protesters have gathered outside their homes. The bill now moves to the House for its consideration.

It's about Judges... which actually IS a world of difference from all of the side issues you just enumerated.

Yeah, c'mon Maverick. We're not talking about the doctors, nurses, clinic help, innocent bystanders blown to bits by the anti-abortion activists. You know, the "littler people" We're talking about judges, JUDGES! The beer drinking, handmaid tale followers who make decisions for us. Seriously, what is it about people from Texas? Lastly, DIRECTFLT, are you trying to take over ArchGuy1 shtick? Oh, when you're talking about the left and violence, yeah..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... c-killers/

The people murdering doctors and blowing up clinics and passing laws to run over protesters are obviously very concerned about life.

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 2:50 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Ok, pretty soon, and very likely Roe is going to be overturned. Any legal argument will soon fade, Roe will be in the same league as Dred Scott.

Therefore, it will be a state issue, unless congress does something. But something tells me that even if Congress does something, it will fall to the states anyways. Even if Congress does something to appease either the left or right.

The obvious solution will be a constitutional amendment if you want this federally protected.

That's the discussion we are to have very soon.

Yeah and that's this whole discussion basically - the overturn is BS because Roe has been politicized into something more than what it actually says. It says abortion is not unlimited and it says states can regulate it reasonably. Women have agency over the first stages of their pregnancies because of it, and changing that will be a massive rollback of their personal freedoms, with no evidence-based basis for doing so.

A constitutional amendment is out of the question in this day and age due to the 3/4 state lege ratification requirement.

bpatus297

Tue May 10, 2022 2:57 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Those are not my people, I am against those acts, but could you imagine if a conservative said "you people"!?!? Could you imagine the outrage that would be had. BTW, this is rhetorical, I know you wont agree/

*You people* just started calling all LGBTQ people and supporters pedophiles, so you can stop with the righteous feigned anger and take a long hard look in the mirror.

Really? Care to show me where that is true of myself? Care to show links where conservatives are supporting pedophiles? I don't need to take a look in the mirror, I know what's in my heart of heart. Your "you people" and other lumping people you don't know into categories tells me everything I need to know about you.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

The morbidly funny thing is the Supreme Court struck down a "buffer zone" around abortion clinics in 2014 which was instituted because of increased threats and violence from the right, up to and including murder and bombings. Protections for me--from peaceful protesters--but not for thee--from violent conservatives, as always.

Clutch101 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Yeah, c'mon Maverick. We're not talking about the doctors, nurses, clinic help, innocent bystanders blown to bits by the anti-abortion activists. You know, the "littler people" We're talking about judges, JUDGES! The beer drinking, handmaid tale followers who make decisions for us. Seriously, what is it about people from Texas? Lastly, DIRECTFLT, are you trying to take over ArchGuy1 shtick? Oh, when you're talking about the left and violence, yeah..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... c-killers/

The people murdering doctors and blowing up clinics and passing laws to run over protesters are obviously very concerned about life.

AirWorthy99

Tue May 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Yeah and that's this whole discussion basically - the overturn is BS because Roe has been politicized into something more than what it actually says. It says abortion is not unlimited and it says states can regulate it reasonably. Women have agency over the first stages of their pregnancies because of it, and changing that will be a massive rollback of their personal freedoms, with no evidence-based basis for doing so.

A constitutional amendment is out of the question in this day and age due to the 3/4 state lege ratification requirement.

Like I mentioned and you have seen. Abortion isn't a topic of people's concern. Its 2022, many many contraception methods exist for women, and also men. Abortion has been in a decline because of that in recent years.

This is a subject that we on the political right or political left like to argue about, but its not a real life issue that will all of the sudden roll us back to the dark ages. There are a lot of free, cheap and accessible solutions for those women that don't want to be pregnant.

Probably it was 50 years ago, but this issue is fading and once the ruling is announced I doubt anyone will really care. If Alabama prohibits, they will fly to CA, IL or NY to get one if that's what a woman truly wants.

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 3:13 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Like I mentioned and you have seen. Abortion isn't a topic of people's concern. Its 2022, many many contraception methods exist for women, and also men. Abortion has been in a decline because of that in recent years.

Partially true, but if you talk to an OB/GYN, those free/cheap/accessible solutions are not accessible to all, and it often depends on the state, or more often county in which one resides. Low income people are not able to just travel at will, especially if underage. The other issue is that the most reliable contraceptive methods are either surgical (not possible for the uninsured or underemployed), or the BCP - which has to be used perfectly for total effectiveness and monitored by a physician for health effects, hormonal balance, etc. Again the latter may be difficult for women who have several jobs due to being underemployed etc. As I said, women often have hard enough lives without the government coming in and actively making them harder.

casinterest

Tue May 10, 2022 3:17 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Clutch101 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I just wonder what Medical insurance and health care will look like in the pro life states. Especially with bans on many drugs used to treat issues related to menstrual cycles.

See that’s the problem. People don’t read the “fine print” all they see is save the cells! They have no idea what kind of drain on the system this will take on their, yours and mine wallet. God help the southern states, as bad off as they are now I can just see us normal northern people having to help out even more.

Also pointing out, yet again, that making abortion illegal isn't the most effective means of reducing the abortion rate. It is most effective at crimalising women.

This is what the far right wants, along with a return to segregation and getting rid of the separation of church and state. They are modeling Saudi Arabia and rolling with it.

MaverickM11

Tue May 10, 2022 3:42 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Really? Care to show me where that is true of myself? Care to show links where conservatives are supporting pedophiles? I don't need to take a look in the mirror, I know what's in my heart of heart. Your "you people" and other lumping people you don't know into categories tells me everything I need to know about you.

No one said anything about conservatives supporting pedophiles but rather labeling all LGBTQ people and supporters as pedophiles. It is wall to wall on Fox, conservative media, and GOP leadership.

bpatus297

Tue May 10, 2022 4:08 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

No one said anything about conservatives supporting pedophiles but rather labeling all LGBTQ people and supporters as pedophiles. It is wall to wall on Fox, conservative media, and GOP leadership.

I haven't seen blanket statements from conservative media or GOP leadership like you claiming, I have seen individual idiots spouting off ignorant and hateful things, but nothing that suggests conservative media and GOP leadership support them. Again, links would be helpful. Sounds like a nice Dem talking point though.

Reinhardt

Tue May 10, 2022 4:36 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

This is a subject that we on the political right or political left like to argue about, but its not a real life issue that will all of the sudden roll us back to the dark ages. There are a lot of free, cheap and accessible solutions for those women that don't want to be pregnant.

Probably it was 50 years ago, but this issue is fading and once the ruling is announced I doubt anyone will really care. If Alabama prohibits, they will fly to CA, IL or NY to get one if that's what a woman truly wants.

It hasn't been a topic because people were happy with the status quo. What about those victims of rape? Ask the Ukranian refugees in Poland what that's like.

There was no need to change anything in the US, it's only the nut job highly religious GOP right that are pushing their outdated views on the rest. Nobody should have to travel to another state or be forced to carry a baby that is unwanted. And as has been said here numerous times, the moment it's born nobody wants anything to do with supporting it. This is 2022 NOT the 1800's.

victrola

Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 pm

I'm sick of the situation in this country where a small minority of narrow minded religious fanatics are able to impose their views on the rest of the country. I bet if you passed a national law allowing abortions in the first trimester and later in cases of rape, incest or, where the pregnant woman's life is in danger, it would receive the support of the vast majority of Americans. But no, we have to have a system where the majority is held hostage by the tyranny of a minority.

MaverickM11

Tue May 10, 2022 5:22 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I haven't seen blanket statements from conservative media or GOP leadership like you claiming, I have seen individual idiots spouting off ignorant and hateful things, but nothing that suggests conservative media and GOP leadership support them. Again, links would be helpful. Sounds like a nice Dem talking point though.

You're either clueless or being intentionally obtuse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... democrats/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... ry-twitter

https://thenevadaindependent.com/articl ... is-groomer

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/07/opin ... g-gay.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... -the-news/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... ?gnt-cfr=1

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 5:29 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:

And then you've got a Kermit Gosnell.

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 5:33 pm

victrola wrote:
I'm sick of the situation in this country where a small minority of narrow minded religious fanatics are able to impose their views on the rest of the country. I bet if you passed a national law allowing abortions in the first trimester and later in cases of rape, incest or, where the pregnant woman's life is in danger, it would receive the support of the vast majority of Americans. But no, we have to have a system where the majority is held hostage by the tyranny of a minority.

The reality is that this ruling is what allows your vision to be realized for a majority of Americans, but you decry it as anti-democratic.

First, why does it need to be a national law? If your vision does in fact reflect the "vast majority of Americans" it will be reflected in the vast majority of state legislatures.

Places like NY or CA will have a wildly permissive abortion criteria while places like Missouri or Texas will have one likely more restrictive than say, the European norm.

Second, the entire Constitution is pretty much designed to make governance hard while restricting the governance of the majority and protecting the rights of the minority. Luckily, there are tons of Westminster-style democracies where majority rules all the time. The US, by design isn't one.

bgm

Tue May 10, 2022 5:46 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
First, why does it need to be a national law? If your vision does in fact reflect the "vast majority of Americans" it will be reflected in the vast majority of state legislatures.

This is unfortunately not true. Due to extreme gerrymandering and all sorts of voter restriction laws, the state legislatures will be vastly skewed towards the GOP.

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 5:51 pm

bgm wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

This is unfortunately not true. Due to extreme gerrymandering and all sorts of voter restriction laws, the state legislatures will be vastly skewed towards the GOP.

NY, IL and CA are functionally single party states, are they not? That's like 1 in 5 Americans right there.

At the end of the day, districts are approved by judiciary, are they not?

Voter laws are also subject to judicial review, are they not?

In an US style democracy, everyone is better served by these issues being legislative ones, versus judicial or executive ones. The US already has way too power invested in its executive.

casinterest

Tue May 10, 2022 5:57 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
bgm wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

NY, IL and CA are functionally single party states, are they not? That's like 1 in 5 Americans right there.

In an US style democracy, everyone is better served by these issues being legislative ones, versus judicial or executive ones. The US already has way too power invested in its executive.

If you want to live in a cowardly theocracy where individual rights are trampled by religion, then go move to Saudi Arabia. Do not argue for "Individual state" laws that deny basic rights to human beings based on bad science and fake religions.

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 6:06 pm

casinterest wrote:

If you want to live in a cowardly theocracy where individual rights are trampled by religion, then go move to Saudi Arabia. Do not argue for "Individual state" laws that deny basic rights to human beings based on bad science and fake religions.

Well, I guess the US voted for a Catholic President, and look what it got.

bpatus297

Tue May 10, 2022 6:07 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

So some dumb idiotic comments from a couple cooks (MGT included) and opinion pieces equates to conservative media and the GOP leadership?

bgm

Tue May 10, 2022 6:08 pm

FlapOperator wrote:

Yes, but does the judicial review reflect the majority?

bgm

Tue May 10, 2022 6:09 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

So some dumb idiotic comments from a couple cooks (MGT included) and opinion pieces equates to conservative media and the GOP leadership?

If you honestly believe these are just extreme fringe opinions of the GOP, I have a bridge to sell you...

skyservice_330

Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 pm

No true Scotsman! You see, they aren't 'real' conservatives.

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 6:25 pm

bgm wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

Perhaps, as a political question.

But the system and the law isn't that the judiciary leads the discussion. Its that the legislators do the hard work of making a law.

Ideally, in a federal system, that is done as close to the effected populations as possible. North America is fascinating, because you can see a federal dominated process in Canada, and a somewhat balanced process in the US.

This leaked decision(as corrosive in and of itself) seems intended to punt the political decision back to the states.

As a person whose done Peace Studies work both academically and professionally, I have to laugh at the process, in a completely positive way.

MaverickM11

Tue May 10, 2022 6:29 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

The two leading contenders for the GOP Presidential nomination in 2024, all of their surrounding handlers and staff, the vast majority of their supporters and amplifiers, and Fox News are all...."a couple of kooks"?

FlapOperator wrote:
bgm wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

Perhaps, as a political question.

But the system and the law isn't that the judiciary leads the discussion. Its that the legislators do the hard work of making a law.

Ideally, in a federal system, that is done as close to the effected populations as possible. North America is fascinating, because you can see a federal dominated process in Canada, and a somewhat balanced process in the US.

This leaked decision(as corrosive in and of itself) seems intended to punt the political decision back to the states.

As a person whose done Peace Studies work both academically and professionally, I have to laugh at the process, in a completely positive way.

This will age like unpasteurized dairy in the Texas sun the nanosecond the GOP has control of the government again.

flipdewaf

Tue May 10, 2022 6:30 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
No true Scotsman! You see, they aren't 'real' conservatives.

You beat me to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

victrola

Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
victrola wrote:

The reality is that this ruling is what allows your vision to be realized for a majority of Americans, but you decry it as anti-democratic.

Places like NY or CA will have a wildly permissive abortion criteria while places like Missouri or Texas will have one likely more restrictive than say, the European norm.

Second, the entire Constitution is pretty much designed to make governance hard while restricting the governance of the majority and protecting the rights of the minority. Luckily, there are tons of Westminster-style democracies where majority rules all the time. The US, by design isn't one.

It is anti-democratic when a minority of religious fanatics want to dictate to a woman what she can do with her own body. So I take it you believe that a tyranny of the minority is superior to a tyranny of the majority. You are truly naive if you believe those gerrymandered state legislatures accurately represent the will of the majority. You people just can't be satisfied unless you are shoving your religious fanaticism down everyone else's throats. Get the hell out of our private lives.

casinterest

Tue May 10, 2022 6:38 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Thank you for pointing out your lack of understanding of the Separation of Church and State.

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 6:54 pm

victrola wrote:

It is anti-democratic when a minority of religious fanatics want to dictate to a woman what she can do with her own body. So I take it you believe that a tyranny of the minority is superior to a tyranny of the majority. You are truly naive if you believe those gerrymandered state legislatures accurately represent the will of the majority. You people just can't be satisfied unless you are shoving your religious fanaticism down everyone else's throats. Get the hell out of our private lives.

Well, if this is your narrative, I don't what to tell you.

As I mentioned earlier, its completely possible to make a totally coherent ethical and moral position that abortion is wrong. Fixate on religion all you want, but its a completely reasonable point.

It's not a function of the moral desirability superiority of the tyranny over the rights of the minority per se, unless the left WANTS it to be.

Literally, if the current leaked SCOTUS decision drops tomorrow, no change will be immediate apparent to any woman, from the Arctic to the Belize border.

Yet, we are hyperventilating about it.

Here you are, willing to burn down both down for what? What is your plan for managing 400 million multilingual people?

FlapOperator

Tue May 10, 2022 6:55 pm

casinterest wrote:

Thank you for pointing out your lack of understanding of the Separation of Church and State.

Point out where I'm wrong. Appreciate it!

Virtual737

Tue May 10, 2022 7:15 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

I think that's a very mature attitude. However I'd rather the decision in this case was weighted more towards those that it directly affects - women of child bearing age. If their opinions were different from my own, agree to disagree would be the position I would take.

Newark727

Tue May 10, 2022 7:23 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
bgm wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

Emphasis mine. Why is this? Well, we have a legal process that's supposed to curb the executive - impeachment - but it can't effectively be used, because the executive is going to be one of two political parties, and the executive's party is always going to have enough of the Senate to keep the two-thirds threshold for impeachment to succeed from ever being reached. And if the check can't actually be used in practice, what good is it? The judiciary has in practice usually chosen not to exercise its powers of review over voter suppressive laws and gerrymandered districts, insofar as it has them - after all, gerrymandering is a 200-year-old practice, and Jim Crow voter laws were decided as perfectly legal by the courts for generations. Legislatures can and do select members of the judicial branch who are their ideological allies, who will work to protect these anti-majoritarian practices. So again, if the check can't actually be used in practice, what good is it?

The systems supposed to protect the country from tyranny of the majority, and the ones designed to protect from tyranny of the minority, aren't necessarily equal in power or balanced effectively. And we're seeing that now.

casinterest

Tue May 10, 2022 7:26 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Point out where I'm wrong. Appreciate it!

You already deleted your embarrassing comment in this post. So that pretty much cinches it.

flipdewaf

Tue May 10, 2022 7:27 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
victrola wrote:

Well, if this is your narrative, I don't what to tell you.

As I mentioned earlier, its completely possible to make a totally coherent ethical and moral position that abortion is wrong. Fixate on religion all you want, but its a completely reasonable point.

It's not a function of the moral desirability superiority of the tyranny over the rights of the minority per se, unless the left WANTS it to be.

Literally, if the current leaked SCOTUS decision drops tomorrow, no change will be immediate apparent to any woman, from the Arctic to the Belize border.

Yet, we are hyperventilating about it.

Here you are, willing to burn down both down for what? What is your plan for managing 400 million multilingual people?

Indeed, it’s about the freedom of people to choose how their bodies are used.

I think the anti-personal-freedom crowd are often mislabelled as religious because that’s often where such abhorrent behaviour originates.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIRECTFLT

Tue May 10, 2022 10:13 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Here's a historical perspective on what then Catholic US Senator Biden had to say in 2006 to Judge Samuel Alito in his hearings to become a SCOTUS Judge. Senator Biden suggested to Alito that he would be in his rights to engineer the overturn of the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, regardless of concerns for precedence - if he had the votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251C0pvYp-0

Fun stuff.. :)

Pi7472000

Tue May 10, 2022 10:45 pm

Hopefully we will see corporations leave extreme states that will ban abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned. I will make sure not to travel to states like Texas etc. that ban abortion and do not support the rights of women.

c933103

Tue May 10, 2022 11:47 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
Hopefully we will see corporations leave extreme states that will ban abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned. I will make sure not to travel to states like Texas etc. that ban abortion and do not support the rights of women.

If they aren't leaving Middle East why would they leave Texas

Aaron747

Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 am

c933103 wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

If they aren't leaving Middle East why would they leave Texas

Different priorities. From an HR perspective, higher likelihood of unplanned/unwanted pregnancy among female employees is a potential operational risk if there is significant local change in access/availability of care.

Remember companies only care about what employees can deliver. Kids and family are always congratulated of course, but the truth is that from a cost/ops perspective it would be ideal if the majority of employees did not have families.

sierrakilo44

Wed May 11, 2022 12:54 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Remember companies only care about what employees can deliver. Kids and family are always congratulated of course, but the truth is that from a cost/ops perspective it would be ideal if the majority of employees did not have families.

Does that lead the cynic in me to believe that’s the real reason why corporations are also very pro LGBT rights and encourage LGBT employment? No maternity or paternity leave, no wanting every holiday period off work, no leaving work early to pick up the kids from school?

PS fully aware LGBT couples have children too but proportionally less than heterosexual couples

MaverickM11

Wed May 11, 2022 1:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Here's a historical perspective on what then Catholic US Senator Biden had to say in 2006 to Judge Samuel Alito in his hearings to become a SCOTUS Judge. Senator Biden suggested to Alito that he would be in his rights to engineer the overturn of the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, regardless of concerns for precedence - if he had the votes.

Your messiah wanted to flush Tiffany and the dumb son down the toilet and here we are

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ffany.html

Aaron747

Wed May 11, 2022 1:05 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Does that lead the cynic in me to believe that’s the real reason why corporations are also very pro LGBT rights and encourage LGBT employment? No maternity or paternity leave, no wanting every holiday period off work, no leaving work early to pick up the kids from school?

PS fully aware LGBT couples have children too but proportionally less than heterosexual couples

I have not heard it myself but friends in larger organizations say that has certainly come up in BOD discussions.

casinterest

Wed May 11, 2022 1:58 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Fun Stuff , try reading instead of watching incorrectly quoted material.

I am also concerned with the impact you could have on women’s
rights, and specifically, a woman’s right to choose. In the 33 years
since Roe was decided, there have been 38 occasions on which Roe
has been taken up by the Court. The Court has not only declined
to overrule Roe, but it has also explicitly reaffirmed its central
holding. In our private meeting, when we spoke about Roe and
precedent, you stated that you could not think of a case that has
been reviewed or challenged more than Roe. You also stated that
you believe that the Constitution does provide a right of privacy
and that you have a deep respect for precedent.
However, in 1985, you clearly stated that you believed Roe
should be overturned and that the Constitution does not protect a
woman’s right to choose. So despite voting to sustain Roe on the
Third Circuit, your opinions also raise questions about how you
might rule if not bound by precedent, and of course, obviously, I
would like to find that out

lean—in close cases, you lean to the state versus the individual.
Now, again, a lot of constitutional scholars would argue that is perfectly correct.
All I am suggesting is if I am right—and we will get a chance
to do this again—if I am right, that would be a change that will
occur, more than subtle, on the bench, on this Court, on a closely
divided Court, which would take it in a direction that I am not as
comfortable with as others may be.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GPO ... -ALITO.pdf

Biden was right that Alito does not believe in personal rights in many of his cases.

FlapOperator

Wed May 11, 2022 1:34 pm

Newark727 wrote:

Emphasis mine. Why is this? Well, we have a legal process that's supposed to curb the executive - impeachment - but it can't effectively be used, because the executive is going to be one of two political parties, and the executive's party is always going to have enough of the Senate to keep the two-thirds threshold for impeachment to succeed from ever being reached. And if the check can't actually be used in practice, what good is it? The judiciary has in practice usually chosen not to exercise its powers of review over voter suppressive laws and gerrymandered districts, insofar as it has them - after all, gerrymandering is a 200-year-old practice, and Jim Crow voter laws were decided as perfectly legal by the courts for generations. Legislatures can and do select members of the judicial branch who are their ideological allies, who will work to protect these anti-majoritarian practices. So again, if the check can't actually be used in practice, what good is it?

The systems supposed to protect the country from tyranny of the majority, and the ones designed to protect from tyranny of the minority, aren't necessarily equal in power or balanced effectively. And we're seeing that now.

First, I would make the argument that impeachment isn't designed to curb the executive, that's a balance of powers function. Its a recent innovation that impeachment was intended as the nakedly political tool its become.

Second, its interesting that you bring up Jim Crow, as it was a political tool used by the then dominant political party in that area to achieve a blatantly extra-constitutional result. It took time to bring down that "settled law" but a combination of political and legal means did so.

Third, no achieving the outcomes you desire when not using the machine as it was intended doesn't mean the machine is broken; more likely, its operator error.