Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

na
Topic Author

Lewis Hamilton got a "problem"

Sat May 07, 2022 2:32 pm

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181 ... hopped-off

In the twilight of his career, his vanity puts former F1 world champion Hamilton in "real trouble". Good taste and style hasn't been one one of virtues lately, being known more for questionable "individuality" and extremism in fashion.

petertenthije

Re: Lewis Hamilton got a "problem"

Sat May 07, 2022 2:51 pm

As I said in the regular F1 2022 topic (I expect this to be merged in there), I think Hamilton no longer cares and is just sitting out his contract. He would probably love to be disqualified on a technicality.

Francoflier

Sat May 07, 2022 5:49 pm

I'm not sure it's such a big deal. No official is going to do much more than maybe give him a fine about it. F1 is just butthurt that drivers may advertise products unlicensed by them.
They're apparently targeting watches on the track too now, with Hamilton immediately protesting by wearing three of them at a time during a presser... :lol:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lewis-h ... 00346.html
Good on him for taking a stand. It's just a money issue disguised under a safety pretext.

The way they handle watches is just weird anyway. Those racing gloves with watches printed on look ridiculous, and the way someone just shows out of nowhere and slaps a watch on the drivers the moment they step out of the car is just comical. (those Richard Mille, especially, look ugly, gaudy and heinous... talk about more money than taste)

As far as calling it vanity, I'd say that all these F1 drivers are full of themselves. They're young, mostly naive when it comes to anything other than driving fast, given all the attention in the World and given literal tons of money. People have gone insane with less.
Within that scale, however, I don't think Hamilton is the worst.

I also doubt the claim that he just gave up and is sitting the season out.
He's certainly on a low and has to adjust to competing with the midfield instead of running races in clean air and standing on the podium every other weekend. I think he will adapt. He is still a (highly paid) professional. He probably has to work on the mental. It's hard to get down from the dizzying heights he was at.

TangoandCash

Thu May 12, 2022 7:23 pm

I can understand the point of the rule, you don't want a neck chain or something getting in the way of exiting a car on fire. One would hope either the drivers or the teams would be able to figure this out on their own, but the FIA loves their rules and regulations. At the same time, Hamilton's wearing of three watches at the press conference seems a bit over the top and childish.

Now some of Hamilton's fashion choices... there ought to be rules! <sarcasm>

cpd

Thu May 12, 2022 10:42 pm

na wrote:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/12587990/lewis-hamilton-defying-formula-1s-jewellery-ban-as-he-refuses-to-get-earrings-chopped-off

In the twilight of his career, his vanity puts former F1 world champion Hamilton in "real trouble". Good taste and style hasn't been one one of virtues lately, being known more for questionable "individuality" and extremism in fashion.

Is Ricciardo any better, trashing an entire floor of a hotel?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... eb926fb531

Aesma

Fri May 13, 2022 2:36 am

I thought we were going to talk about something else. Hasn't he suggested that he has a piercing on his privates ?

Also, you say he's in the twilight of his career, well maybe, he got robbed of a title mere months ago, I wouldn't call his driving into question just yet. He said he's had the aforementioned platinum piercing for the last 16 years, so even before his first F1 start ! The new rules clearly seem to target him.

Makes me think of when the FIA made a fuss about unshaven drivers, it was when Sébastien Loeb was winning title after title in WRC. Nowadays half the drivers sport a stubble...

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 13, 2022 11:35 am

Aesma wrote:
I thought we were going to talk about something else. Hasn't he suggested that he has a piercing on his privates ?

Also, you say he's in the twilight of his career, well maybe, he got robbed of a title mere months ago, I wouldn't call his driving into question just yet. He said he's had the aforementioned platinum piercing for the last 16 years, so even before his first F1 start ! The new rules clearly seem to target him.

Makes me think of when the FIA made a fuss about unshaven drivers, it was when Sébastien Loeb was winning title after title in WRC. Nowadays half the drivers sport a stubble...

New racing directors, new management, new rule applications. The rules were actually in the book quite a while but neither Charlie Whiting nor Michael Masi chose to do anything about it.

Ironically, since Hamilton & Mercedes were the ones complaining about the FIA not applying the rules properly before, it's makes it a bit rich that he's complaining about FIA implementing rules in the book now isn't it?

StarAC17

Fri May 13, 2022 11:52 pm

Francoflier wrote:

The way they handle watches is just weird anyway. Those racing gloves with watches printed on look ridiculous, and the way someone just shows out of nowhere and slaps a watch on the drivers the moment they step out of the car is just comical. (those Richard Mille, especially, look ugly, gaudy and heinous... talk about more money than taste)

IIRC each (at least the big ones) have a watch sponsor and Mercedes is not the only team that has a printed watch on their gloves. Also as gimmicky as it is these companies pay big bucks for the product placement. Do you think an elite athlete like Max Verstappen actually drinks RedBull out of those cans? He wouldn't touch that stuff after a race.

Aesma wrote:

Some jewelry poses a risk but I don't think earrings and nose ring are a big risk as he is wearing what I presume is a fire resistant crash helmet that wouldn't cause those articles to be an issue in the event of a rescue. I agree chains and rings are a no-no but I think Kevin Magnussen wears his wedding ring which is much bigger risk.

The rules have to be reasonable and make sense. Show Lewis that this poses a danger and he might change his tune but does a nose ring and a couple of earrings really jeopardize safety?

TangoandCash wrote:
I can understand the point of the rule, you don't want a neck chain or something getting in the way of exiting a car on fire. One would hope either the drivers or the teams would be able to figure this out on their own, but the FIA loves their rules and regulations. At the same time, Hamilton's wearing of three watches at the press conference seems a bit over the top and childish.

Now some of Hamilton's fashion choices... there ought to be rules! <sarcasm>

He is absolutely sticking it to the FIA and Vettel did the same wearing underwear over his gear last Friday.