Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Tom Brady going to FOX SPORTS for $375M in a 10 year deal...

Tue May 10, 2022 10:18 pm

A101

Re: Tom Brady going to FOX SPORTS for $375M in a 10 year deal...

Tue May 10, 2022 10:48 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
https://nypost.com/2022/05/10/tom-brady-gets-monster-10-year-375-million-deal-from-fox-sports/

Rich Eisen guessed 36 a year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmQMpL4Ges

Good for you Tom !!

Good for him I certainly would not knock it back, but how is anyone worth that sort of money just to talk on tv, he is not finding a cure for cancer

Really the mind boggles about the wages of some people.

johns624

Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 pm

A101 wrote:
[ he is not finding a cure for cancer

I wish that he were...

Aaron747

Tue May 10, 2022 11:06 pm

A101 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
https://nypost.com/2022/05/10/tom-brady-gets-monster-10-year-375-million-deal-from-fox-sports/

Good for you Tom !!

Good for him I certainly would not knock it back, but how is anyone worth that sort of money just to talk on tv, he is not finding a cure for cancer

There was no sports commentating deal anything like this 20 years ago, and the on-air talent was far better. Agents know the TV networks are milking bigger deals out of teams and regional markets, so they know they can get more for their client 'talent'.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2022 11:15 pm

A101 wrote:

Neither are Quarterbacks, making more than Tom. Or hedge Fund Managers making more than Tom. Or Jerry Jones, who makes more than Tom.
Or Max Scherzer, of the New York Mets', who is making more than Tom...

Maybe Coco-Cola should cure cancer, with the Global profits they make, or should we assign that to Apple??

Kiwirob

Wed May 11, 2022 5:04 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Good for you Tom !!

How often do good or even great players make good commentators? The James Hunts of this world are few and far between.

A101

Wed May 11, 2022 7:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
A101 wrote:

Neither are Quarterbacks, making more than Tom. Or hedge Fund Managers making more than Tom. Or Jerry Jones, who makes more than Tom.
Or Max Scherzer, of the New York Mets', who is making more than Tom...

Maybe Coco-Cola should cure cancer, with the Global profits they make, or should we assign that to Apple??

Not the point I was making, he obviously knows his market value and is being remunerated to what the will market bear.

I just think it’s an obscene amount of money for what he is actually doing. And yes I think sportsman’s movie stars and the like are all over paid for what they do.

But as I said earlier I do not blame him as no person in there right mind would knock that sort of money back I just think it’s a effed up world where entertainers are paid that sort of money compared to people who are doing real life saving/changing work in their respective fields

910A

Wed May 11, 2022 1:17 pm

A101 wrote:

Get ready for your cable/tv provider bill to go up.

LittleFokker

Wed May 11, 2022 1:56 pm

If there is one thing Fox Sports is good at, it's stupidly overpaying for stuff. In fact, I believe Fox is still (probably) paying NBC to broadcast the US Open for a few more years after their 12 year overpriced contract with the USGA turned out to be a money loser for them. I say probably because I can't find a source, but I can't imagine NBC Sports just taking on the bloated deal without some kind of incentive from Fox.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/golf-n ... =logged_in

https://golf.com/news/nbc-broadcast-us-open-fox-out/

StarAC17

Wed May 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Good for you Tom !!

How often do good or even great players make good commentators? The James Hunts of this world are few and far between.

There are a few former good players in each league that make Good commentators. If we look at the NFL I think Tony Romo and Cris Collinsworth are fantastic (I know people really don't like the latter but he is better than Aikman).

You mentioned James Hunt. I think most of the previous F1 drivers who do commentary for sky are all good, this includes two former champions being Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg.

Tom Brady doesn't seem to by a guy that would be good at it though. He would provide good insight but I don't think he can make the game exciting.
I would put him on Fox NFL Sunday but not calling the game of the week.

ER757

Wed May 11, 2022 4:15 pm

Brady is going to be "lead analyst" so where does that leave Aikman? Is Brady going to be teamed with Joe Buck now? I liked Aikman for quite a while but his act is wearing a little thin now IMO.

LittleFokker

Wed May 11, 2022 4:49 pm

ER757 wrote:
Brady is going to be "lead analyst" so where does that leave Aikman? Is Brady going to be teamed with Joe Buck now? I liked Aikman for quite a while but his act is wearing a little thin now IMO.

Joe Buck and Troy Aikman have already signed with ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/335 ... t-football

ER757

Wed May 11, 2022 5:43 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Ahhhhh - well that makes sense then.

LittleFokker

Wed May 11, 2022 5:57 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
There are a few former good players in each league that make Good commentators. If we look at the NFL I think Tony Romo and Cris Collinsworth are fantastic (I know people really don't like the latter but he is better than Aikman).

You mentioned James Hunt. I think most of the previous F1 drivers who do commentary for sky are all good, this includes two former champions being Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg.

Tom Brady doesn't seem to by a guy that would be good at it though. He would provide good insight but I don't think he can make the game exciting.
I would put him on Fox NFL Sunday but not calling the game of the week.

I agree with your analysis and I don't think Tom Brady will be anything special with a microphone. But the Sunday morning shows....why are they relevant? I never watch them, but I am under the impression they are just fluffer since all the other Sunday morning programs draw crap ratings. I do watch the halftime shows, and I have no idea why they need 5 people for 8 minutes of chatter. One host and one former player analysis is more than enough to do highlights and an ounce of opinions in between.

ObadiahPlainman

Wed May 11, 2022 6:37 pm

God we're never gonna be through with this guy, are we?

ACDC8

Wed May 11, 2022 10:25 pm

Kinda weird how so many grown men idolize and worship a guy that literally runs around with a ball to the point that society deems him worth sitting in front of a camera for $37 million a year.

Tugger

Wed May 11, 2022 10:30 pm

The question will be if he is better that Tony Romo. Who turned out to be surprisingly good.

Tom Brady may be a better QB but commentator is a different thing. I be curious to see if he is bested by Romo in the booth.

Tugg

Aesma

Thu May 12, 2022 12:14 am

The only sport I watch is F1 so I will respond to something I read upthread, Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg aren't play-by-play commentators. The commentator is David Croft, and they add insights (color commentary I believed it's called). The usual team is David Croft with former pilot Martin Brundle, who is a real commentator. Could Jenson and Nico do that job, maybe, I don't know. I think you need time to hone that skill, by commenting on other series for example.

Will Brady be a play-by-play commentator or a color commentator ?

StarAC17

Thu May 12, 2022 1:11 am

Aesma wrote:
The only sport I watch is F1 so I will respond to something I read upthread, Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg aren't play-by-play commentators. The commentator is David Croft, and they add insights (color commentary I believed it's called). The usual team is David Croft with former pilot Martin Brundle, who is a real commentator. Could Jenson and Nico do that job, maybe, I don't know. I think you need time to hone that skill, by commenting on other series for example.

Will Brady be a play-by-play commentator or a color commentator ?

I probably should post in the F1 thread.

Both Rosberg and Button have done the race with Crofty and so has Paul Di Resta. Brundle does most of the races but not all of them.

Speaking of Brundle, Sunday's grid walk was just awesome!!

StarAC17

Thu May 12, 2022 1:12 am

LittleFokker wrote:
ER757 wrote:

I'll be watching the Manning Cast when it's on. I cannot stand these two.

bluecrew

Thu May 12, 2022 7:35 am

ObadiahPlainman wrote:
God we're never gonna be through with this guy, are we?

No, I'm becoming increasingly convinced I'll die of natural causes before this guy goes away.

And I'm from Boston, lived there all through the Brady years (except the last couple), and I find the guy to be an insufferable narcissist with questionable views about anything besides the actual on-field playing of football.

Glad I'm usually glued to the remote for tactical mute.

TangoandCash

Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 pm

Tugger wrote:
The question will be if he is better that Tony Romo. Who turned out to be surprisingly good.

Tom Brady may be a better QB but commentator is a different thing. I be curious to see if he is bested by Romo in the booth.

Tugg

Brady is the better quarterback, no doubt. We will find about commentating at some point, if he ever really retires from playing.

Hopefully Brady won't be another Jason Witten, who was so bad at commentating he went back to playing football.

flyingclrs727

Thu May 12, 2022 3:04 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
ER757 wrote:

I can't figure out why people can't stand Joe Buck or Troy Aikman.

StarAC17

Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

I can't figure out why people can't stand Joe Buck or Troy Aikman.

I can't figure out why people don't like Cris Collinsworth. :box: :duck: I love "Now here's a guy..."

Buck is ok.
My problem with Aikman is that whenever there is a blindside hit or a cheap shot he makes football seems like a classy game and the guy who committed the cheap-shot is somehow disgracing football. The game is many things. Classy and civilized is something football isn't and is a lot of the reason why we watch it. Don't claim that the game is some classy sport among men, if you want that watch golf or tennis.