Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Vintage
Topic Author
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 pm

The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 9:15 am

George Bush live in person saying:

The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1527092111195226114

I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2558
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 9:24 am

So I guess now that Trump's no longer president we can go back to hating Dubya?
 
Vintage
Topic Author
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 9:46 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
So I guess now that Trump's no longer president we can go back to hating Dubya?

Does that question make any sense to you?
Please explain.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4595
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 10:21 am

Vintage wrote:
I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).
I'd say that internationally Dubya has done more damage with his quagmires in Iraq and Afghanistan. Internationally Trump managed to insult every ally, killed the Iran treaty and loved sucking up to the likes of Putin and Kim. But Biden has managed to sort out that mess, no doubt helped by Putin's Ukraine war.

Domestically, Trump has done way more damage though. The USA has been polarized for as long as I follow US politics (president Clinton's 2nd term), but Trump really raised the polarization to 11. Not to mention stacking the courts, his botched Covid response and making (politically motivated) violence acceptable amongst team MAGA.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8611
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 10:49 am

petertenthije wrote:
Vintage wrote:
I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).
I'd say that internationally Dubya has done more damage with his quagmires in Iraq and Afghanistan. Internationally Trump managed to insult every ally, killed the Iran treaty and loved sucking up to the likes of Putin and Kim. But Biden has managed to sort out that mess, no doubt helped by Putin's Ukraine war.

Domestically, Trump has done way more damage though. The USA has been polarized for as long as I follow US politics (president Clinton's 2nd term), but Trump really raised the polarization to 11. Not to mention stacking the courts, his botched Covid response and making (politically motivated) violence acceptable amongst team MAGA.

There has been lots of damage, skepticism, eye rolling toward the US Government long before Trump and Dubya - they just carried on the torch.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 11:03 am

Vintage wrote:
George Bush live in person saying:

The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1527092111195226114

I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).


Well that explains how badly he has aged...might be keeping him up at night.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18956
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 11:06 am

Vintage wrote:
George Bush live in person saying:

The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1527092111195226114

I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).

And his paintings suck.

Hard to overstate how terrible W was for the country and the world. Incredible that Trump "softened" his image by comparison.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 11:16 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Vintage wrote:
George Bush live in person saying:

The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1527092111195226114

I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).

And his paintings suck.

Hard to overstate how terrible W was for the country and the world. Incredible that Trump "softened" his image by comparison.


They are both charlatans - just one as 'compassionate Christian protector of freedom' and the other as 'successful businessman turned maverick'
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am

Of the century? Teleprompter Joe has become the laughingstock of this country. His slips are so common, no one even mentions them.

One of the most damaging was:

"I think what you're going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/20/10744661 ... -incursion

Days later, Putin invaded Ukraine.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 11:41 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Of the century? Teleprompter Joe has become the laughingstock of this country. His slips are so common, no one even mentions them.

One of the most damaging was:

"I think what you're going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/20/10744661 ... -incursion

Days later, Putin invaded Ukraine.


Hope your kids never end up with a medical issue because someone will inevitably make fun of them as people make fun of Biden's stutter. Anyone making a 'laughingstock' of a bona fide speech impediment had parents who failed miserably to produce a human with functioning empathy. *tsk tsk*
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21098
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:00 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Of the century? Teleprompter Joe has become the laughingstock of this country. His slips are so common, no one even mentions them.


Yet more people voted for him rather than the alternative. Enough said.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Of the century? Teleprompter Joe has become the laughingstock of this country. His slips are so common, no one even mentions them.

One of the most damaging was:

"I think what you're going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It's one thing if it's a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/20/10744661 ... -incursion

Days later, Putin invaded Ukraine.


Hope your kids never end up with a medical issue because someone will inevitably make fun of them as people make fun of Biden's stutter. Anyone making a 'laughingstock' of a bona fide speech impediment had parents who failed miserably to produce a human with functioning empathy. *tsk tsk*


Nice straw man, never said anything about stutter. Its about all of his gaffes once he is out of the teleprompter. My citation shows exactly what I am talking about, that was a huge slip, that has cost lives. Elon Musk was even making fun of that.

And no, I don't have any empathy for the most destructive, divisive and incompetent president this country has ever had. If he has deficiency issues he should resign or never had ran for president.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:07 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Of the century? Teleprompter Joe has become the laughingstock of this country. His slips are so common, no one even mentions them.

One of the most damaging was:


https://www.npr.org/2022/01/20/10744661 ... -incursion

Days later, Putin invaded Ukraine.


Hope your kids never end up with a medical issue because someone will inevitably make fun of them as people make fun of Biden's stutter. Anyone making a 'laughingstock' of a bona fide speech impediment had parents who failed miserably to produce a human with functioning empathy. *tsk tsk*


Nice straw man, never said anything about stutter. Its about all of his gaffes once he is out of the teleprompter. My citation shows exactly what I am talking about, that was a huge slip, that has cost lives. Elon Musk was even making fun of that.


Not a straw man - those slips are part of the speech impediment. He has fought through it all his life. Have a little heart, if it doesn't pain you too much. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: Double *tsk tsk*
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:11 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Hope your kids never end up with a medical issue because someone will inevitably make fun of them as people make fun of Biden's stutter. Anyone making a 'laughingstock' of a bona fide speech impediment had parents who failed miserably to produce a human with functioning empathy. *tsk tsk*


Nice straw man, never said anything about stutter. Its about all of his gaffes once he is out of the teleprompter. My citation shows exactly what I am talking about, that was a huge slip, that has cost lives. Elon Musk was even making fun of that.


Not a straw man - those slips are part of the speech impediment. He has fought through it all his life. Have a little heart, if it doesn't pain you too much. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: Double *tsk tsk*


Interesting, I did not know you were an expert in speech impediment. If you are, saying Putin can make a 'minor incursion' into Ukraine and probably nothing happens, that sounds to me and to anyone as a gaffe and a slip. A lot of words in that quotation.

But this administration apologists are getting very creative to justify this disaster. Nice!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:20 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Nice straw man, never said anything about stutter. Its about all of his gaffes once he is out of the teleprompter. My citation shows exactly what I am talking about, that was a huge slip, that has cost lives. Elon Musk was even making fun of that.


Not a straw man - those slips are part of the speech impediment. He has fought through it all his life. Have a little heart, if it doesn't pain you too much. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: Double *tsk tsk*


Interesting, I did not know you were an expert in speech impediment. If you are, saying Putin can make a 'minor incursion' into Ukraine and probably nothing happens, that sounds to me and to anyone as a gaffe and a slip. A lot of words in that quotation.

But this administration apologists are getting very creative to justify this disaster. Nice!


Not an apologist, just perennially annoyed with factually inaccurate statements of any kind. I don't need to be an expert - other experts and Biden himself have testified to the fact he has the condition. Duh.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:27 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not a straw man - those slips are part of the speech impediment. He has fought through it all his life. Have a little heart, if it doesn't pain you too much. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: Double *tsk tsk*


Interesting, I did not know you were an expert in speech impediment. If you are, saying Putin can make a 'minor incursion' into Ukraine and probably nothing happens, that sounds to me and to anyone as a gaffe and a slip. A lot of words in that quotation.

But this administration apologists are getting very creative to justify this disaster. Nice!


Not an apologist, just perennially annoyed with factually inaccurate statements of any kind. I don't need to be an expert - other experts and Biden himself have testified to the fact he has the condition. Duh.


If this is a real 'condition'. The more troublesome and dangerous this situation is. The man is the most powerful man in the world. He has become very close to starting WWIII because of this 'condition'.

Anyone else can be more competent than him if this is truly something we should all worry about. Heck I am willing to accept Kamala Harris to replace him, at least with her, we know that she won't start a nuclear war just because of a 'stutter' caused by a 'condition'. The man should resign.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:29 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Interesting, I did not know you were an expert in speech impediment. If you are, saying Putin can make a 'minor incursion' into Ukraine and probably nothing happens, that sounds to me and to anyone as a gaffe and a slip. A lot of words in that quotation.

But this administration apologists are getting very creative to justify this disaster. Nice!


Not an apologist, just perennially annoyed with factually inaccurate statements of any kind. I don't need to be an expert - other experts and Biden himself have testified to the fact he has the condition. Duh.


If this is a real 'condition'. The more troublesome and dangerous this situation is. The man is the most powerful man in the world. He has become very close to starting WWIII because of this 'condition'.

Anyone else can be more competent than him if this is truly something we should all worry about. Heck I am willing to accept Kamala Harris to replace him, at least with her, we know that she won't start a nuclear war just because of a 'stutter' caused by a 'condition'. The man should resign.


Why do you pooh-pooh someone's struggle using condition in quotes? Are you now suggesting speech issues aren't real? Or is this like the Roe thread where you refused to acknowledge PPD is a real affliction suffered by millions of women?
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:38 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not an apologist, just perennially annoyed with factually inaccurate statements of any kind. I don't need to be an expert - other experts and Biden himself have testified to the fact he has the condition. Duh.


If this is a real 'condition'. The more troublesome and dangerous this situation is. The man is the most powerful man in the world. He has become very close to starting WWIII because of this 'condition'.

Anyone else can be more competent than him if this is truly something we should all worry about. Heck I am willing to accept Kamala Harris to replace him, at least with her, we know that she won't start a nuclear war just because of a 'stutter' caused by a 'condition'. The man should resign.


Why do you pooh-pooh someone's struggle using condition in quotes? Are you now suggesting speech issues aren't real? Or is this like the Roe thread where you refused to acknowledge PPD is a real affliction suffered by millions of women?


After 2 years in this forum and seeing and reading all sorts of posts about political figures, I don't take seriously at all the concern you supposedly have for someone's struggles.

I read from you directly without citing sources when you were 'speculating' on a certain ailment 45 had based on his speech and his manners when he was in the WH. Without no proof just supposition and speculation. Now you are telling me to be emphatic about someone's 'condition'.

These are politicians we are talking about. I have zero empathy for Biden, the same way you had zero for Trump. Its being honest and consistent.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 12:53 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

And no, I don't have any empathy for the most destructive, divisive and incompetent president this country has ever had. If he has deficiency issues he should resign or never had ran for president.


You mean Dubbya or Trump?
 
Willjet
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:59 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 1:07 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Interesting, I did not know you were an expert in speech impediment. If you are, saying Putin can make a 'minor incursion' into Ukraine and probably nothing happens, that sounds to me and to anyone as a gaffe and a slip. A lot of words in that quotation.

But this administration apologists are getting very creative to justify this disaster. Nice!


Not an apologist, just perennially annoyed with factually inaccurate statements of any kind. I don't need to be an expert - other experts and Biden himself have testified to the fact he has the condition. Duh.


If this is a real 'condition'. The more troublesome and dangerous this situation is. The man is the most powerful man in the world. He has become very close to starting WWIII because of this 'condition'.

Anyone else can be more competent than him if this is truly something we should all worry about. Heck I am willing to accept Kamala Harris to replace him, at least with her, we know that she won't start a nuclear war just because of a 'stutter' caused by a 'condition'. The man should resign.


How does having stutter start ww3 when verbal diarrhoea on twitter on a daily basis didn't?
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18956
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Of the century? Teleprompter Joe has become the laughingstock of this country. His slips are so common, no one even mentions them.

One of the most damaging was:


https://www.npr.org/2022/01/20/10744661 ... -incursion

Days later, Putin invaded Ukraine.


Hope your kids never end up with a medical issue because someone will inevitably make fun of them as people make fun of Biden's stutter. Anyone making a 'laughingstock' of a bona fide speech impediment had parents who failed miserably to produce a human with functioning empathy. *tsk tsk*


Nice straw man, never said anything about stutter. Its about all of his gaffes once he is out of the teleprompter. My citation shows exactly what I am talking about, that was a huge slip, that has cost lives.

"Cost lives"

How many Americans did W kill with his two wars that we lost almost the instant we toppled Saddam and the Taliban? Never mind Iraqis and Afghans? It's probably close to 1M.

AirWorthy99 wrote:
And no, I don't have any empathy for the most destructive, divisive and incompetent president this country has ever had.

You have to marvel at the sheer brain damage you have to have to make a statement like this. "Angela Merkel is the most divisive and incompetent leader Germany has ever had" would be similarly sane.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18956
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 1:19 pm

Willjet wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not an apologist, just perennially annoyed with factually inaccurate statements of any kind. I don't need to be an expert - other experts and Biden himself have testified to the fact he has the condition. Duh.


If this is a real 'condition'. The more troublesome and dangerous this situation is. The man is the most powerful man in the world. He has become very close to starting WWIII because of this 'condition'.

Anyone else can be more competent than him if this is truly something we should all worry about. Heck I am willing to accept Kamala Harris to replace him, at least with her, we know that she won't start a nuclear war just because of a 'stutter' caused by a 'condition'. The man should resign.


How does having stutter start ww3 when verbal diarrhoea on twitter on a daily basis didn't?

You have to understand that Putin was v v scared of alpha masc dom daddy Trump which is why he didn't invade.

Which is why Russia keeps saying they want him back in power. You need to have maximum MAGA brain rot for that to make sense. :roll:
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 1:20 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I read from you directly without citing sources when you were 'speculating' on a certain ailment 45 had based on his speech and his manners when he was in the WH. Without no proof just supposition and speculation. Now you are telling me to be emphatic about someone's 'condition'.


I was sharing concerns some mental health experts had about the last POTUS's pattern of behavior because they were a way to explain his bizarre and irrational decisionmaking that constantly had to be checked and tempered by others in the WH. There is nothing unempathetic about that - I did not put anything in quotes or ridicule the condition. Moving the goalposts is lazy.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18956
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 1:25 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I read from you directly without citing sources when you were 'speculating' on a certain ailment 45 had based on his speech and his manners when he was in the WH. Without no proof just supposition and speculation. Now you are telling me to be emphatic about someone's 'condition'.


I was sharing concerns some mental health experts had about the last POTUS's pattern of behavior because they were a way to explain his bizarre and irrational decisionmaking that constantly had to be checked and tempered by others in the WH. There is nothing unempathetic about that - I did not put anything in quotes or ridicule the condition. Moving the goalposts is lazy.

How many books are we up to from Trump hires that have now told us what a dumb, insane crackpot he is? Seems like every month there's a new cabinet member hocking a tell all. The best people.

Even though we've known that for decades but gotta sell those books... :roll:
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 1:33 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I read from you directly without citing sources when you were 'speculating' on a certain ailment 45 had based on his speech and his manners when he was in the WH. Without no proof just supposition and speculation. Now you are telling me to be emphatic about someone's 'condition'.


I was sharing concerns some mental health experts had about the last POTUS's pattern of behavior because they were a way to explain his bizarre and irrational decisionmaking that constantly had to be checked and tempered by others in the WH. There is nothing unempathetic about that - I did not put anything in quotes or ridicule the condition. Moving the goalposts is lazy.

How many books are we up to from Trump hires that have now told us what a dumb, insane crackpot he is? Seems like every month there's a new cabinet member hocking a tell all. The best people.

Even though we've known that for decades but gotta sell those books... :roll:


His WH generated hardly any results other than a conga line of tell all cash grabs.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18956
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I was sharing concerns some mental health experts had about the last POTUS's pattern of behavior because they were a way to explain his bizarre and irrational decisionmaking that constantly had to be checked and tempered by others in the WH. There is nothing unempathetic about that - I did not put anything in quotes or ridicule the condition. Moving the goalposts is lazy.

How many books are we up to from Trump hires that have now told us what a dumb, insane crackpot he is? Seems like every month there's a new cabinet member hocking a tell all. The best people.

Even though we've known that for decades but gotta sell those books... :roll:


His WH generated hardly any results other than a conga line of tell all cash grabs.

If only there was some common denominator here
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 2:45 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
How many books are we up to from Trump hires that have now told us what a dumb, insane crackpot he is? Seems like every month there's a new cabinet member hocking a tell all. The best people.

Even though we've known that for decades but gotta sell those books... :roll:


His WH generated hardly any results other than a conga line of tell all cash grabs.

If only there was some common denominator here


I know right? :boggled:
 
Newark727
Posts: 2999
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 2:52 pm

You'd think that after the fifteenth book entirely about how "this man is garbage and working with him is pure torture," people might have started to catch on.
 
alfa164
Posts: 4119
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 4:08 pm

Newark727 wrote:
You'd think that after the fifteenth book entirely about how "this man is garbage and working with him is pure torture," people might have started to catch on.


He will always have his bots fans and trolls shills to express unending support for his greatness... the yuugest greatness...

:roll:
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 4:11 pm

The current President of the US and his predecessor are not subject of this topic, so please keep this thread on topic.
 
User avatar
alberchico
Posts: 3671
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 4:27 pm

I'm shocked at how badly this man has aged in the years since he left office. Considering that the key people in his administration have never expressed any regret over the decision to go into Iraq, I don't think he will ever either. These people have their legacy to protect. Irritating how he laughs it off.

Edit: This guy also joked about the failure to find Iraqi WMD's back in 2004 when people were dying in large numbers. Granted this was done at a dinner but it was still classless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/mar/26/usa.iraq
Last edited by alberchico on Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 4:28 pm

My sense is that GWB, over the years since he left office, has tried to soften his image by crafting this folksy, grandfatherish, nice guy persona. While it may work in some ways, it doesn't change the fact that as President he oversaw one of the most significant political quagmires of the century (Iraq) which resulted in the deaths of thousands/millions of Americans and Iraqi's. A quagmire that was based on faulty intelligence and a quagmire that was prematurely determined a success (Mission Accomplished!)
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4997
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 7:30 pm

I'd forgotten he was still alive...

Vintage wrote:
I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).


MaverickM11 wrote:
Hard to overstate how terrible W was for the country and the world.


:checkmark: People have been surprisingly quick to forget just how much money was pissed away in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not to mention all the lives lost. And there's absolutely nothing to show for it.

MaverickM11 wrote:
Incredible that Trump "softened" his image by comparison.


I still remember how in the mid 2000s people (including me) didn't think it was even possible to have a president stupider than Dubya.
 
TriJets
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:13 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 7:45 pm

W wasn't a bad president, IMO. In fact, he was one of my favorites. The Iraq war was a blunder, but that was caused IMO by faulty intelligence....I can't necessarily blame the POTUS if he was given bad info and was acting in good faith.

W's actions in the aftermath of 9/11 and his unifying of the country endeared him to many, including me. He had the most badass Presidential moment in recent history in my opinion when he threw out a heater at Yankee Stadium in the fall after 9/11 while wearing a bulletproof vest. Balls of steel.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4595
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 7:59 pm

TriJets wrote:
W wasn't a bad president, IMO. In fact, he was one of my favorites. The Iraq war was a blunder, but that was caused IMO by faulty intelligence....I can't necessarily blame the POTUS if he was given bad info and was acting in good faith.
I have to disagree with you.

Most of the world was telling him that there was no reason to go to Iraq.
Most where also saying that if you DO go in, then prepare for the aftermath, not just the war itself.
He did not listen to either advice. In fact, he ridiculed them (e.g. freedom fries).
 
Newark727
Posts: 2999
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 pm

TriJets wrote:
W wasn't a bad president, IMO. In fact, he was one of my favorites. The Iraq war was a blunder, but that was caused IMO by faulty intelligence....I can't necessarily blame the POTUS if he was given bad info and was acting in good faith.

W's actions in the aftermath of 9/11 and his unifying of the country endeared him to many, including me. He had the most badass Presidential moment in recent history in my opinion when he threw out a heater at Yankee Stadium in the fall after 9/11 while wearing a bulletproof vest. Balls of steel.


The intelligence was faulty because they had a policy conclusion decided already - invade Iraq - and worked backwards to support it.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8137
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 8:34 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Vintage wrote:
George Bush live in person saying:

The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1527092111195226114

I still think that George Bush has done more damage to the US than has Donald Trump (so far).

And his paintings suck.

Hard to overstate how terrible W was for the country and the world. Incredible that Trump "softened" his image by comparison.

Bush did huge long term damage for the world, but at least it's *kinda* sorting itself out now in the Middle East.

Trump absolutely wrecked any domestic tranquility gained in this country since the 1960s. The polarization is what will destroy America, much worse than any terrorist or nuclear attack ever can.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17987
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 pm

TriJets wrote:
W wasn't a bad president, IMO. In fact, he was one of my favorites. The Iraq war was a blunder, but that was caused IMO by faulty intelligence....I can't necessarily blame the POTUS if he was given bad info and was acting in good faith.

W's actions in the aftermath of 9/11 and his unifying of the country endeared him to many, including me. He had the most badass Presidential moment in recent history in my opinion when he threw out a heater at Yankee Stadium in the fall after 9/11 while wearing a bulletproof vest. Balls of steel.


I'll say - takes a lot of balls to quietly move Saudi interests out of the country even though the FBI already knows AQ handlers had assistance from their diplomatic assets in the US. Super ballsy. :sarcastic:

Also it is incumbent on POTUS to ask the right questions of intel and foment an environment of risk analysis. Hello, Thirteen Days. Hello Ike in Korea.
 
emperortk
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 12:07 am

zkojq wrote:
People have been surprisingly quick to forget just how much money was pissed away in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not to mention all the lives lost. And there's absolutely nothing to show for it.


I think the clique of neocons who got rich (or richer in most cases) because of those wars would beg to differ. Those two wars were thinly veiled forms of corporate welfare in the end.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4411
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 am

alberchico wrote:
I'm shocked at how badly this man has aged in the years since he left office. Considering that the key people in his administration have never expressed any regret over the decision to go into Iraq, I don't think he will ever either. These people have their legacy to protect. Irritating how he laughs it off.

Edit: This guy also joked about the failure to find Iraqi WMD's back in 2004 when people were dying in large numbers. Granted this was done at a dinner but it was still classless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/mar/26/usa.iraq

It was extremely inappropriate to laugh after his mistake. I somehow understand him, we all know how it feels when you messed up bigly. But the people in the audience who laughed should be ashamed of themselves. How many innocent people have been killed in that invasion? And how many US soldiers lost their lives due to the WMDs that never existed. Not funny, but maybe I am just oldfashioned
 
Vintage
Topic Author
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 2:47 am

N14AZ wrote:
how many US soldiers lost their lives due to the WMDs that never existed.

The Iraq war was not about WMDs; WMDs were just a selling point for the masses. The higher ups in Bush administration knew there were no WMDs, although no doubt there were lower echelon zealot types who drank the kool aid.

The fact that there were no WMDs in Iraq has been proven without a doubt.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/07/usa.iraq1
So where did the idea that there were WMDs come from? Israel made it up out of whole cloth. A WMD program would leave evidence and there (obviously) was no evidence.
In 2002, the former head of the Mossad intelligence agency, Efraim Halevy, told a closed meeting of Nato that there were (WMDs) in Iraq.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... raq.israel

He was obviously lying. But nobody in the know believed this lie.

The Iraq war was a plan sold to dimwit Bush for the United States to "conquer" the Middle east. Iraq was to just be the first step, Iran was intended to follow immediately after. The other smaller ME nations were then expected to fall in line.

This was all publicly laid out in the project for a New American Century plan: Cheney and Rumsfeld were both members of PNAC.
Of the 25 founding members of PNAC 10 of them were members of the Bush administration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_f ... an_Century

Why would anyone continue to spread the lie that the Iraq war was about WMDs?
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1764
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 am

N14AZ wrote:
alberchico wrote:
I'm shocked at how badly this man has aged in the years since he left office. Considering that the key people in his administration have never expressed any regret over the decision to go into Iraq, I don't think he will ever either. These people have their legacy to protect. Irritating how he laughs it off.

Edit: This guy also joked about the failure to find Iraqi WMD's back in 2004 when people were dying in large numbers. Granted this was done at a dinner but it was still classless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/mar/26/usa.iraq

It was extremely inappropriate to laugh after his mistake. I somehow understand him, we all know how it feels when you messed up bigly. But the people in the audience who laughed should be ashamed of themselves. How many innocent people have been killed in that invasion? And how many US soldiers lost their lives due to the WMDs that never existed. Not funny, but maybe I am just oldfashioned


I think it’s funny, in about the sickest possible way. An idiot realizes he has murdered 500,000 people over a lie told to him by his fake church. He suddenly realizes his legitimacy as a human being is a sham, and that he belongs locked in a prison cell. His whole family knows it, too.

The killings in Iraq happened because Iraqis spoke a middle eastern language, were Muslims, and weren’t white.

I mean Trump did some bad things (minimizing Jan 6 was one thing he got very wrong), but Trump did nowhere near the damage, and committed nowhere near the crimes that Bush did. Bush killed far more people than Putin. Trump was corrupt, in that he stole millions, and tried to steal probably billions. But again… Trump was far from the most successful corrupt US politician. Lately, the real gangsters talk in trillions.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4411
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 4:41 am

Vintage wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
how many US soldiers lost their lives due to the WMDs that never existed.

The Iraq war was not about WMDs; WMDs were just a selling point for the masses. The higher ups in Bush administration knew there were no WMDs, although no doubt there were lower echelon zealot types who drank the kool aid.

The fact that there were no WMDs in Iraq has been proven without a doubt.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/07/usa.iraq1
So where did the idea that there were WMDs come from? Israel made it up out of whole cloth. A WMD program would leave evidence and there (obviously) was no evidence.
In 2002, the former head of the Mossad intelligence agency, Efraim Halevy, told a closed meeting of Nato that there were (WMDs) in Iraq.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... raq.israel

He was obviously lying. But nobody in the know believed this lie.

The Iraq war was a plan sold to dimwit Bush for the United States to "conquer" the Middle east. Iraq was to just be the first step, Iran was intended to follow immediately after. The other smaller ME nations were then expected to fall in line.

This was all publicly laid out in the project for a New American Century plan: Cheney and Rumsfeld were both members of PNAC.
Of the 25 founding members of PNAC 10 of them were members of the Bush administration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_f ... an_Century

Why would anyone continue to spread the lie that the Iraq war was about WMDs?

I have the feeling you misunderstood my post. I am fully aware about the background of that war. Believe me, when I followed that famous presentation of the secretary of defense where he tried to convince people about the existence of WMDs by showing a sketch of a truck, sold as mobile WMD production unit, I immediately knew that this was a desperate attempt to find a justification to invade Iraq and nothing more than a hoax.
 
Vintage
Topic Author
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 am

N14AZ wrote:
Vintage wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
how many US soldiers lost their lives due to the WMDs that never existed.

The Iraq war was not about WMDs; WMDs were just a selling point for the masses. The higher ups in Bush administration knew there were no WMDs, although no doubt there were lower echelon zealot types who drank the kool aid.

The fact that there were no WMDs in Iraq has been proven without a doubt.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/07/usa.iraq1
So where did the idea that there were WMDs come from? Israel made it up out of whole cloth. A WMD program would leave evidence and there (obviously) was no evidence.
In 2002, the former head of the Mossad intelligence agency, Efraim Halevy, told a closed meeting of Nato that there were (WMDs) in Iraq.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... raq.israel

He was obviously lying. But nobody in the know believed this lie.

The Iraq war was a plan sold to dimwit Bush for the United States to "conquer" the Middle east. Iraq was to just be the first step, Iran was intended to follow immediately after. The other smaller ME nations were then expected to fall in line.

This was all publicly laid out in the project for a New American Century plan: Cheney and Rumsfeld were both members of PNAC.
Of the 25 founding members of PNAC 10 of them were members of the Bush administration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_f ... an_Century

Why would anyone continue to spread the lie that the Iraq war was about WMDs?

I have the feeling you misunderstood my post. I am fully aware about the background of that war. Believe me, when I followed that famous presentation of the secretary of defense where he tried to convince people about the existence of WMDs by showing a sketch of a truck, sold as mobile WMD production unit, I immediately knew that this was a desperate attempt to find a justification to invade Iraq and nothing more than a hoax.

Then why the perpetuation of the WMD myth? Why not leave that lie behind?
Why not just call a spade a spade?

Even among those we would expect to know, there is a strong aversion to stating PNAC as the driving force behind the invasion of Iraq.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4411
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 am

Vintage wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
Vintage wrote:
The Iraq war was not about WMDs; WMDs were just a selling point for the masses. The higher ups in Bush administration knew there were no WMDs, although no doubt there were lower echelon zealot types who drank the kool aid.

The fact that there were no WMDs in Iraq has been proven without a doubt.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/07/usa.iraq1
So where did the idea that there were WMDs come from? Israel made it up out of whole cloth. A WMD program would leave evidence and there (obviously) was no evidence.

He was obviously lying. But nobody in the know believed this lie.

The Iraq war was a plan sold to dimwit Bush for the United States to "conquer" the Middle east. Iraq was to just be the first step, Iran was intended to follow immediately after. The other smaller ME nations were then expected to fall in line.

This was all publicly laid out in the project for a New American Century plan: Cheney and Rumsfeld were both members of PNAC.
Of the 25 founding members of PNAC 10 of them were members of the Bush administration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_f ... an_Century

Why would anyone continue to spread the lie that the Iraq war was about WMDs?

I have the feeling you misunderstood my post. I am fully aware about the background of that war. Believe me, when I followed that famous presentation of the secretary of defense where he tried to convince people about the existence of WMDs by showing a sketch of a truck, sold as mobile WMD production unit, I immediately knew that this was a desperate attempt to find a justification to invade Iraq and nothing more than a hoax.

Then why the perpetuation of the WMD myth? Why not leave that lie behind?
Why not just call a spade a spade?

Even among those we would expect to know, there is a strong aversion to stating PNAC as the driving force behind the invasion of Iraq.

It is NOT a myth that the US government used the alleged existence of WMDs as a justification for the invasion. Very similar to what Russia did now in case of the Ukraine. We all should learn from previous mistakes. As such I think it’s very appropriate to mention this lie in this context again and again.

So I don‘t understand why we should leave that lie behind. Younger generations might not know about all these things you perfectly summarized further above.
 
Vintage
Topic Author
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 6:07 am

N14AZ wrote:
It is NOT a myth that the US government used the alleged existence of WMDs as a justification for the invasion. Very similar to what Russia did now in case of the Ukraine. We all should learn from previous mistakes. As such I think it’s very appropriate to mention this lie in this context again and again.

So I don‘t understand why we should leave that lie behind. Younger generations might not know about all these things you perfectly summarized further above.

Why? Because this lie is still very much alive and accepted as truth for a large segment of the American public. The WMDs and the "it's all about oil" lies create a fog that perfectly obfuscates the mostly hidden truth of the Iraq war.

Do Jews relish the presentation of falsehoods about Jewish beliefs, behavior or genetics? No absolutely not.
Is it accepted to bandy about the lies that abound about 9-11, school shootings, racial myths, global warming etc etc? No it is not, these things can be discussed in good taste, but only in sober discussion, not just used for their entertainment value.

Why is the real cause of the Iraq war different? Why do so many people want to sweep that under the rug and keep repeating over and over: it was all about oil or WMDs WMDs WMDs? Younger generations need to know that our government was manipulated, but that is meaningless unless they know why we invaded Iraq. What the lies were that were used to cover up the truth are irrelevant unless they know the real reason for the invasion.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21098
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 am

TriJets wrote:
W wasn't a bad president, IMO. In fact, he was one of my favorites. The Iraq war was a blunder, but that was caused IMO by faulty intelligence....I can't necessarily blame the POTUS if he was given bad info and was acting in good faith.

W's actions in the aftermath of 9/11 and his unifying of the country endeared him to many, including me. He had the most badass Presidential moment in recent history in my opinion when he threw out a heater at Yankee Stadium in the fall after 9/11 while wearing a bulletproof vest. Balls of steel.


Damn, dude! That's the funniest thing I've read in nearly 20 years on this site. And they say Americans don't do irony. :rotfl:
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 6:34 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
My sense is that GWB, over the years since he left office, has tried to soften his image by crafting this folksy, grandfatherish, nice guy persona. While it may work in some ways, it doesn't change the fact that as President he oversaw one of the most significant political quagmires of the century (Iraq) which resulted in the deaths of thousands/millions of Americans and Iraqi's. A quagmire that was based on faulty intelligence and a quagmire that was prematurely determined a success (Mission Accomplished!)


TriJets wrote:
W wasn't a bad president, IMO. In fact, he was one of my favorites. The Iraq war was a blunder, but that was caused IMO by faulty intelligence....I can't necessarily blame the POTUS if he was given bad info and was acting in good faith.

W's actions in the aftermath of 9/11 and his unifying of the country endeared him to many, including me. He had the most badass Presidential moment in recent history in my opinion when he threw out a heater at Yankee Stadium in the fall after 9/11 while wearing a bulletproof vest. Balls of steel.


I don't think Dubya was a good president and he did oversee the failure that Iraq and Afghanistan were. He also was president when the 2008 crisis happened and while that was decades in the making much of the actions that caused that crash were under his watch.
I do believe that he was very coerced into the Iraq war by his cabinet. Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz etc. wanted that war and coerced him into thinking it made sense especially in the shadow of 9/11. Colin Powell IMO made that UN speech with a gun to his head. Granted most of what I know about what actually happened is from an Adam McKay movie.

His mild mannered personality helps him get away with it whereas Trump is crass and rude, but I can't say that one administration was much worse than the other.

However Trump really didn't start a whole lot of military conflicts when he was president. He didn't end them either but then again neither did Obama.

Perhaps its guilt that he said that and maybe he will come out saying that that war keeps him up at night but what is done is done and I am happy that he keeps a low profile as do most of the living presidents today.
 
phugoid1982
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:02 am

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 pm

The slip didn't even bother me that much. I was more appalled that he then corrected himself and s then said laughingly "Iraq too..hehe" calluosuly disregarding and disrespecting the thousands/millions of soldiers and innocent civilians lost in a debacle based on lies and deception.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4595
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: The Freudian slip of the century

Fri May 20, 2022 7:19 pm

phugoid1982 wrote:
calluosuly disregarding and disrespecting the thousands/millions of soldiers and innocent civilians lost in a debacle based on lies and deception.

beyond the direct kills, an argument could be made that he caused the rise of IS / ISIS / Daesh / ISIL or whatever these guys are named this year.

I did not understand Dubya’s “75” remark though. Can someone explain this?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CaptHadley, cskok8, dampfnudel, ExMilitaryEng and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos