Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phugoid1982
Topic Author

Indian couple sue son for not giving them grandchildren

Sun May 22, 2022 7:15 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/17/india/in ... fe%2C%2031.

Seriously ridiculous nonsense. I swear despite the fact that I'm 100% genetically Indian (South Indian Brahmin) but completely westernized and raised in the US this is the kind of ridiculous insanity that makes me think India would be better off under Western Educated (secular) rule and not the archaic tribal thinking that has left India stagnant and still in the dark ages. This is a relatively benign case. One only needs to look into the rampant sexual assault of women there to note there is and has always been a serious problem in India clinging to anachronistic values under the guise of rejecting "western moral degeneracy" rather than progress both socially and economically

jetwet1

Re: Indian couple sue son for not giving them grandchildren

Sun May 22, 2022 9:34 pm

To the first part, there are plenty of non Indian mothers who try to pressure their kids into giving them grandchildren.

To the second part, I totally agree, but again not just in India.

Aesma

Sun May 22, 2022 11:36 pm

I haven't had children yet, but my brother has two. The conflicts between the grandparents, especially on my sister-in-law's side, are quite something.

There are regularly stories of grandparents suing their children, not because they've not made children as that wouldn't go anywhere, but because they're not allowed to see them. And there is an established right to see your grandchildren.

WesternDC6B

Tue May 24, 2022 11:23 am

Aesma wrote:
And there is an established right to see your grandchildren.

Where? An "established" right? Due to circumstances I will not go into, I never had children. But I was bound and determined that my father would never, EVER be near my children. He was such a pessimistic, miserable man and a drama queen from the word "go". I would not have wanted any of that to influence my children. On the other hand, my mother, and my stepfather - a fine man in anyone's book - would always be welcome.

steman

Tue May 24, 2022 12:00 pm

I honestly think people should be sued for having children, especially in overpopulated countries.
I mean, there are almost 8 billion people on Earth. We really really don´t need more!

Exrampieyyz

Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm

steman wrote:
I honestly think people should be sued for having children, especially in overpopulated countries.
I mean, there are almost 8 billion people on Earth. We really really don´t need more!

:checkmark:
Totally and 100% agree.
Way too many people on this earth. All this green talk, there really is only 1 problem and it's over population.
No one talks about it. It's all about eliminating short flights or electric cars.
It was talked about in the 60's and 70's when something could and should have been done.
But nothing and nothing since.
The world cannot handle this much human intervention and humans will be very hard pressed to fix this mess especially without some sort of population control.

phugoid1982
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2022 2:57 pm

Exrampieyyz wrote:
steman wrote:

Totally and 100% agree.
Way too many people on this earth. All this green talk, there really is only 1 problem and it's over population.
No one talks about it. It's all about eliminating short flights or electric cars.
It was talked about in the 60's and 70's when something could and should have been done.
The world cannot handle this much human intervention and humans will be very hard pressed to fix this mess especially without some sort of population control.

Agreed, I'm almost 40 and luckily my Indian mom has never pressured me about marriage or kids. I figured out early on I wasn't cut out to be father and I also have zero patience with kids. Unfortunately, it's a deal breaker with a lot of serious relationships with women. It's strange because my older sister hates kids (way more than me) but because of pressure from her husband adopted a girl who came from a really dysfunctional family. And yet, she's miserable because dealing with her obviously isn't easy. She also hates the fact that she cant live her clubbing "Sex and the City" lifestyle anymore I'm like "What the heck did you expect? You made a choice". I feel bad for my niece because sometimes I question whether my sister really loves her or she's just an accessory to garner sympathy. I mean, I don't like kids but I obviously want her to grow up happy and have a good life.

Also, since I started this thread about how Indians in India can't let go have of their regressive ideology a fair number of my relatives in India didn't like when my sister adopted her kid because she's "black". Indians love to whine about race but India is probably the MOST racist country on this planet. Look at all the hate crimes against African immigrants and obsession with skin whitening creams. Heck, an Indian professor once told me to stay out of the sun because "I was getting too dark". I was like dude, that's the point. After suffering 4 miserable winters in the midwest i felt my complexion was pale and I needed that vitamin D. This is when I thank my lucky stars or whatever that I had very progressive secular parents who didn't buy all that nonsense.

davecrowe

Wed May 25, 2022 2:28 am

A number of related cases have made headlines in India in recent years.
cookie clicker

avier

Wed May 25, 2022 5:28 am

"The couple claim they spent about 20 million Indian rupees (about $257,000) raising their son, who is an only child.
"They raised him, educated him, made him capable, made him a pilot -- which was expensive....
....the Prasads also bought a car for their son and daughter-in-law, and paid for their honeymoon."

I don't get why Indian (and other Asian) parents go overboard in giving their children (even into adulthood) everything and then start demanding things in return. Either give and don't expect, or don't give at all; i.e provide basic education till 18 and post that let them take an education loan and fund their lives and do what they want, making their own choices in life. Just like how it's in western cultures.

Instead, they'll choose to keep funding their kids way past into adulthood, just to control their lives later.

Aesma

Wed May 25, 2022 5:45 am

The desire to see your bloodline continue in the future is very human. First step would have been to make a couple more kids, though.

As for people making too many kids, that's especially true in a few countries, and indeed where they can least afford it. Instead of suing these people, I would sue US evangelical nutjobs that encourage them and stopped all programs that provided condoms and contraceptives...

WesternDC6B wrote:
Aesma wrote:
And there is an established right to see your grandchildren.

Where? An "established" right? Due to circumstances I will not go into, I never had children. But I was bound and determined that my father would never, EVER be near my children. He was such a pessimistic, miserable man and a drama queen from the word "go". I would not have wanted any of that to influence my children. On the other hand, my mother, and my stepfather - a fine man in anyone's book - would always be welcome.

Here in France. I wasn't sure how it came about so I checked, it's actually a law. That doesn't mean you would take a legal risk by not allowing your father to see your kids, but your father could sue for that right. Then a judge specialized in family matters (divorce, custody of children, etc.) would decide, and you could make your case that it wouldn't be in the interest of your kids to see your father.

flyingclrs727

Wed May 25, 2022 6:49 am

Aesma wrote:
I haven't had children yet, but my brother has two. The conflicts between the grandparents, especially on my sister-in-law's side, are quite something.

There are regularly stories of grandparents suing their children, not because they've not made children as that wouldn't go anywhere, but because they're not allowed to see them. And there is an established right to see your grandchildren.

Such petty people. My wife is from Ukraine and had to escape from Odessa with our son at the beginning of the war. Her grandmother is still staying in Odessa and doesn't want to leave despite the war and offers from relatives to mover her to Poland or Spain. I'm happy to be hosting my mother in law in our house while my father in law works in Australia. I had to host both my in-laws for five and a half months a couple of years ago, because the COVID-19 pandemic prevented them from traveling back to Ukraine or work in Saudi Arabia. Why would I want to keep our son away from any of his grandparents?

OzarkD9S

Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 am

Both of my cats are fixed so I won't be having any grandkittens.

Kno

Wed May 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Exrampieyyz wrote:
steman wrote:

Totally and 100% agree.

It really is a huge issue that nobody ever talks about.

Kiwirob

Thu May 26, 2022 6:22 am

jetwet1 wrote:
To the first part, there are plenty of non Indian mothers who try to pressure their kids into giving them grandchildren.

To the second part, I totally agree, but again not just in India.

How many of those non Indian mothers have sued there children for grandchildren?

Kiwirob

Thu May 26, 2022 6:32 am

Aesma wrote:
As for people making too many kids, that's especially true in a few countries, and indeed where they can least afford it. Instead of suing these people, I would sue US evangelical nutjobs that encourage them and stopped all programs that provided condoms and contraceptives...

This is a big problem in NZ, the wrong people have far to many children then expect the govt to pick up the tab because they can't afford them. We get sob stories in the media to pull the heart strings and give money constantly. Its very simple children are expensive, if you can't afford them don't have them.