Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Southern Baptist Convention covered up sex abuse

Mon May 23, 2022 9:41 pm

I know you'll be shocked--SHOCKED!--to find that the people screaming loudest about groomers and pedophiles in teaching, or Disney, or in the LGBTQ community are actually the ones you want to keep your children away from. In related news water wet, earth warmed by nearby star. More at 11.

Report: Top Southern Baptists stonewalled sex abuse victims

"“Our investigation revealed that, for many years, a few senior EC leaders, along with outside counsel, largely controlled the EC’s response to these reports of abuse ... and were singularly focused on avoiding liability for the SBC,” the report said.

“In service of this goal, survivors and others who reported abuse were ignored, disbelieved, or met with the constant refrain that the SBC could take no action due to its polity regarding church autonomy – even if it meant that convicted molesters continued in ministry with no notice or warning to their current church or congregation,” the report added.""

https://apnews.com/article/baptist-reli ... 4c3dae3fd5

Newark727

Re: Southern Baptist Convention covered up sex abuse

Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 pm

Well, they all lined up to vote for a guy who bought the Miss America pageant so he could creep on the participants (not to mention the Access Hollywood tape which is basically its own cliche at this point.) So this is at least very on-brand for them. Their relentless pursuit of wealth and political power has basically turned the American evangelical movement into Mammon worshipers, which you'd think they of all people should have seen coming.

Aaron747

Mon May 23, 2022 10:56 pm

My color is that of totally surprised.

casinterest

Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 pm

"Don't do as we do, do as we tell you to do"

That is all you need to know.

I still expect this thread to meet a quick demise.

scbriml

Mon May 23, 2022 11:10 pm

casinterest wrote:

On what basis?

WesternDC6B

Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 am

When I was very young, I often felt danger around many members of the clergy. Some made my skin crawl. Instinct, I guess.

luckyone

Tue May 24, 2022 2:11 am

To quote my father: “The only thing more crooked than a politician is a preacher.”

ltbewr

Tue May 24, 2022 12:13 pm

To paraphrase an old saying, 'God must love hypocrites, he made so many of them'. To use another phrase, 'the cover up is worse that the initial crime'.

As with so many institutions, faith related ones are for sure tied with my initial comments.Here in the USA, we allow way too much deference to religious organizations to police themselves as to sexual abuse, use of money, tax exemptions, being involved in politics, racism, sexism. While I don't believe in ending most tax exemptions for religious organizations, I do believe governments have the right to shut down their not-for-profit government business designations, have to limit expenses, keep out of politics.

Aaron747

Tue May 24, 2022 12:17 pm

luckyone wrote:
To quote my father: “The only thing more crooked than a politician is a preacher.”

Your father was a wise man and a good mentor off that quote alone.

luckyone

Tue May 24, 2022 2:14 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Your father was a wise man and a good mentor off that quote alone.

Well, mostly!

skyservice_330

Tue May 24, 2022 2:29 pm

The gross irony is that this is coming out on the heels of Republican leadership referring to Democrats as 'pedo grifters.'

The GOP relies heavily on social conservatives as part of their base. What is that saying about stones and glass houses again?

WesternDC6B

Tue May 24, 2022 2:39 pm

[*]
skyservice_330 wrote:
The gross irony is that this is coming out on the heels of Republican leadership referring to Democrats as 'pedo grifters.'

The GOP relies heavily on social conservatives as part of their base. What is that saying about stones and glass houses again?

You are conflating social conservatism with being affiliated with the more “effervescent” religious organizations.

As for goings-on with children, and adulterous behavior, that goes on across a quite broad spectrum of society.

casinterest

Tue May 24, 2022 2:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
"Don't do as we do, do as we tell you to do"

That is all you need to know.

I guess I expected the threads of old where all the folks would defend the churches :)

Can you believe we give tax breaks for stuff like this?
https://www.wral.com/it-s-a-shame-nc-ba ... /20296218/
The Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee is scheduled to meet Tuesday to review the report.

North Carolina Baptist leaders told WRAL News they approved some new recommendations on Monday, including working to change state laws to provide more protections for victims of abuse.

Wonder how all those "Independent branches: will take to these protections of abuse. Especially in light of the recent Anti-CRT and Anti-LGBTQ brigades that have their roots in these churches.

skyservice_330

Tue May 24, 2022 3:29 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
[*]
skyservice_330 wrote:

You are conflating social conservatism with being affiliated with the more “effervescent” religious organizations.

As for goings-on with children, and adulterous behavior, that goes on across a quite broad spectrum of society.

Fair enough. I suppose fairer to say, The GOP relies heavily on social conservatives as part of their base, for which Southern Baptists are one, of many groups, that would be in the social conservative umbrella.

As for your last part, I don't disagree.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 24, 2022 4:02 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:

Come on...we all know GQP are expert pedo grifters with their first-hand experience. :duck: