Top Gun: Maverick

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:29 pm

Just watched it.

Brilliant.

Well worth the wait.

phugoid1982

Re: Top Gun: Maverick

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:37 pm

I'm ecstatic to see it next week. All the reviews look amazing.

N965UW

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:10 pm

It heavily references the first movie yet doesn't feel like a reboot at all. Very well done.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:55 pm

I'm a Brit. Watched the trailer. Seemed like it was an all-American film that will play extremely well in red states in the USA.... but not for me

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:21 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I'm a Brit. Watched the trailer. Seemed like it was an all-American film that will play extremely well in red states in the USA.... but not for me

Having seen the movie, there's nothing red or blue about it.

You should really go see it because the trailer doesn't do it justice.

TriJets

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:04 am

Saw it earlier this evening. I didn't think it could top the first one but I was pleasantly surprised. I'd put them neck and neck. My palms were sweating towards the end. Absolutely incredible air-to-air footage....beats the hell out of the CGI'd crap that we're used to.

cjg225

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:10 am

Despite loving military movies and thinking the F-14 is the greatest that ever was, I have never seen the original Top Gun and kinda don't have any interest in it. But, I did go to see Top Gun: Maverick with a family member this past weekend. It was pretty decent, but I wouldn't say it was great. I definitely did appreciate the aspect of putting the actors/actresses in the backseats of F/A-18Fs and filming them actually pulling significant Gs.

ACDC8

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:00 am

Was never a fan of the first one (great soundtrack though) but I'm sure I'll go see this one.

StarAC17

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:23 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

While its the American Navy featured, this movie has none if very limited politics in it. If you like any of the Mission Impossible movies then you will probably like this. Essentially the writers made this a Mission Impossible movie with F18's with homage to the original Top Gun and the final mission basically rips off the first Star Wars.

It's not going to win an Oscar but its good entertainment.

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:36 pm

I'd like to see it but I just can't with Tom Cruise and his Scientology circus :roll:

StarAC17

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:09 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
I'd like to see it but I just can't with Tom Cruise and his Scientology circus :roll:

Can't disagree that he is kind of a nutcase in real life but those people are usually fantastic in some way.

He is a really good actor especially in action movies. Its hard to find a bad Tom Cruise movie.

marcelh

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:32 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

While its the American Navy featured, this movie has none if very limited politics in it. If you like any of the Mission Impossible movies then you will probably like this. Essentially the writers made this a Mission Impossible movie with F18's with homage to the original Top Gun and the final mission basically rips off the first Star Wars.

It's not going to win an Oscar but its good entertainment.

Watched the movie yesterday. Fun to watch, although I have to agree it’s a “America is great” attitude with the obvious “bad, bad, really bad country” and some cringing flag waving. But that’s just my opinion ;-)

cjg225

Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
Can't disagree that he is kind of a nutcase in real life but those people are usually fantastic in some way.

He is a really good actor especially in action movies. Its hard to find a bad Tom Cruise movie.

Agreed. Dude may be crazy, but he puts together a mean performance time and time again. He's kind of a throwback actor; really dedicated to his craft.

PhilBy

Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:55 pm

I find that Tom Cruise's acting is a bit like Eddie Murphy - whatever character he plays he's playing, he's playing Tom Cruise.Some good actors you don't automatically recognise from one film to the next (being someone who prefers not to know who is in a film before watching but whether it is considered a good film).
The original Topgun was a médiocre, macho film but with a great soundtrack. Waiting for the next to come out on DVD.

StarAC17

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:50 pm

PhilBy wrote:
I find that Tom Cruise's acting is a bit like Eddie Murphy - whatever character he plays he's playing, he's playing Tom Cruise.Some good actors you don't automatically recognise from one film to the next (being someone who prefers not to know who is in a film before watching but whether it is considered a good film).
The original Topgun was a médiocre, macho film but with a great soundtrack. Waiting for the next to come out on DVD.

He isn't the only actor like that. Some of the best are like that too including multiple Oscar winners. I would say that Tom Hank (for the most part), Al Pacino, George Clooney, Jack Nicholson and the mentioned Tom Cruise fit into that category.

Also waiting for the DVD. It's not 2002 :duck: . This will be on Netflix or Prime in 6 months and that is where you will watch it.

TriJets

Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:36 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
PhilBy wrote:

He isn't the only actor like that. Some of the best are like that too including multiple Oscar winners. I would say that Tom Hank (for the most part), Al Pacino, George Clooney, Jack Nicholson and the mentioned Tom Cruise fit into that category.

Also waiting for the DVD. It's not 2002 :duck: . This will be on Netflix or Prime in 6 months and that is where you will watch it.

Just my opinion, but some movies are meant to be seen on the big screen and this is one of them. The aerial scenes, filmed with real cameras rather than being CGI, are incredible.

william

Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:42 pm

"Globally, the film took almost $250 million in its opening weekend, Comscore said."

https://fortune.com/2022/05/31/top-gun- ... -over-35s/

No bad for a movie aimed at my age group. Here is hoping using actual aerial footage and not cartoonish CGI will be a trend in action movies.

StarAC17

Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:59 pm

TriJets wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:
PhilBy wrote:

Just my opinion, but some movies are meant to be seen on the big screen and this is one of them. The aerial scenes, filmed with real cameras rather than being CGI, are incredible.

Most action movies are meant to be seen on the big screen even if there is a lot of CGI, this movie is no exception. Its the Oscar dribble that ironically these hits pay for that you can wait to see on Netflix.

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:20 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I agree it just gets harder and harder to push the cuckoo aside, especially for people like Elizabeth Moss in Handmaid's Tale. At least Cruise isn't doing movies about cults lately :rotfl:

TWA772LR

Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:50 pm

Needs more Kenny Loggins.

The lack of CGI is very nice but a good score makes a good movie too. I give it 6.5/10.

ehbowen

Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:06 pm

Navy (surface, battleship) vet here. Really liked this one, more than the original. My score: 8/10.

[Spoiler:

When the mission briefer mentioned that along with the '5th generation fighters' guarding the target site were a few still-flyable F-14s, the first thought through my mind was, "Before this film ends, they're going to put Tom Cruise in an F-14!"]

DIRECTFLT

Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:59 am

Hollywood has chosen the USA over China after it responded to the outcry from fans who noticed the Taiwanese flag was missing from the bomber jacket worn by Tom Cruise’s character in the trailer of “Top Gun: Maverick.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/top-gun- ... ers-jacket

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Responds To Outcry, Replaces Taiwanese Flag On Tom Cruise’s Character’s Jacket

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1530307967115055107

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 am

Saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty mediocre, too much copy paste from the original movie combined with a pretty cringe story.
The original is a classic but this one is pretty forgettable.

cjg225

Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:03 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Hollywood has chosen the USA over China after it responded to the outcry from fans who noticed the Taiwanese flag was missing from the bomber jacket worn by Tom Cruise’s character in the trailer of “Top Gun: Maverick.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/top-gun- ... ers-jacket

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Responds To Outcry, Replaces Taiwanese Flag On Tom Cruise’s Character’s Jacket

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1530307967115055107

Huh. As small as that is, it's actually pretty nice to see that.

PhilBy

Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
PhilBy wrote:

We live in the backwoods. We don't have the bandwidth (or interest) for Netflix or Prime.

Personally, I didn't even see Star Wars until the 90's

luckyone

Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:27 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Was never a fan of the first one (great soundtrack though) but I'm sure I'll go see this one.

I thought the first one was a bit corny and relied too much on the love story, not to mention far too many samples of the “Take My Breath Away” and “Highway to the Dangerzone” songs. I enjoyed Maverick better.

ACDC8

Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:44 pm

luckyone wrote:
I thought the first one was a bit corny and relied too much on the love story, not to mention far too many samples of the “Take My Breath Away” and “Highway to the Dangerzone” songs. I enjoyed Maverick better.

For sure, it was totally corny. But it was the 80s, so that was pretty normal :lol:

What made it so big though is that it was more than just a movie at the time, it was a cultural/generational phenomenon - if Jim Abrahams and Pat Proft can do a whole parody on it, then yeah it was pretty big lol.

Personally, I always preferred Iron Eagle, yeah, it was just as corny but at least it had more action.

Probably gonna go see Maverick tomorrow, hit up The Spaghetti Factory for dinner and cross the street for the movie.

Kent350787

Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:06 pm

I enjoyed the flight sequences in the first movie, and it was literally a date movie for me so served a purpose.

Unless someone convinces me that the flight sequnces in the new movie ar eessential, this seems like a pass.

I noticed on Twitter Jon Cryer suggesting Hot Shots: Part Tre to Charlie Sheen....

sierrakilo44

Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:48 am

ACDC8 wrote:
For sure, it was totally corny. But it was the 80s, so that was pretty normal :lol:

Of note is the era Top Gun was released in. 80s, Reaganism, back to more nationalistic feeling in America after the malaise of the post Vietnam war 70s. No surprise the US Navy allowed a lot of footage shot with real aircraft. Top Gun is considered one of the first modern "military entertainment complex" films, where the US military provides equipment and personnel but also has to approve the script to ensure a "pro US and pro military" message is maintained. For instance Kelly McGillis's character was originally a female Navy Enlisted woman, however the Navy had her changed to a civilian as they didn't want to highlight relationships between officers and enlisted personnel. The Navy set up recruiting booths outside theatres during the film's release.

It's also interesting to compare Top Gun to another movie released in 1986 featuring the US military, Platoon, which is it's polar opposite. Whilst Top Gun is all fast planes, hot people and shirtless volleyball Platoon portrayed US soldiers being committing war crimes, rapes, murdering their fellow soldiers and ultimately not believing the cause they were fighting for. One was a box office hit, the other won the Best Picture Oscar.

Not surprisingly the US military wanted nothing to do with Platoon, even though it was based on director Oliver Stone's real life experiences as a Vietnam combat soldier. They much preferred to fund and support what is essentially a military recruiting film.

Personally, I always preferred Iron Eagle, yeah, it was just as corny but at least it had more action.

Same. It's jingoistic flag waving cheese but with something Top Gun lacks. A plot. A 17 year old kid stealing an F-16 and destroying what seems to be the entire military of a nation (modelled on Libya) in a single sortie with bombs that magically reappear after dropped and a cannon that never runs out of rounds whilst pumping out classic rock on his Walkman may be the most absurd aviation related plotline to exist, but it's still a plotline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCWzXYQmvyU

Top Gun was just a sequence of glorious air to air shots of planes, and then pilots showering, drinking and playing volleyball together. At some point in writing the script a romance was inserted into the movie as a side plot, and then a combat sequence against some faceless unnamed "bad guys" at the end which seemed totally tacked on.

And I can't say much better about the new Top Gun. The air to air sequences look cool but in an age where we can view HD videos of aircraft on Youtube all day long they no longer make an impact as they did in the 80s. The plotline just seems more contrived and unrealistic, not in the cool Iron Eagle way. And as I'm older now Americans just shooting at some faceless enemy doesn't really cut it. I would prefer to think and be challenged in a film with a plot tbh. If I want cool aerial footage I can view a YouTube video in HD on my phone. And we've moved on from simple "US good guys shoot foreign bad guys" scenarios too, the world is too complex and we know much more about it's realities to fall for such a simplistic story. Because then it's nothing more than a piece of pro military recruiting propaganda.

It's interesting to note, that even though on the surface there doesn't appear to be any apparent politics, right wing conservatives are embracing this movie hard, saying it's a pro American pro military counter to "woke" films they despise.

ACDC8

Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:41 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
It's also interesting to compare Top Gun to another movie released in 1986 featuring the US military, Platoon, which is it's polar opposite. Whilst Top Gun is all fast planes, hot people and shirtless volleyball Platoon portrayed US soldiers being committing war crimes, rapes, murdering their fellow soldiers and ultimately not believing the cause they were fighting for. One was a box office hit, the other won the Best Picture Oscar.

Now Platoon, that was a good movie.

william

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm

'Top Gun: Maverick' soars to big second weekend, crosses $500 million worldwide

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/media/to ... index.html

TriJets

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
I enjoyed the flight sequences in the first movie, and it was literally a date movie for me so served a purpose.

Unless someone convinces me that the flight sequnces in the new movie ar eessential, this seems like a pass.

I noticed on Twitter Jon Cryer suggesting Hot Shots: Part Tre to Charlie Sheen....

The flight sequences in the new one are much better than they were in the original. The actors were actually in F-18s, pulling real Gs, as opposed to faking it in a trailer in Hollywood like they were limited to in the 1980s.

cskok8

Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:32 pm

Now I wonder which other country operated the F14

luckyone

Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:34 pm

cskok8 wrote:

I also found it amusing that the Rooster character expressed surprise that the F-14 had swing wings. I would expect that most aviators would at least have a general understanding of features of past aircraft.

ObadiahPlainman

Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:16 pm

luckyone wrote:
cskok8 wrote:

I also found it amusing that the Rooster character expressed surprise that the F-14 had swing wings. I would expect that most aviators would at least have a general understanding of features of past aircraft.

I think he was more surprised that Mav was opening them for that short field takeoff (which, BTW, isn't possible in an F-14, but whatevs)

cjg225

Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:52 pm

ObadiahPlainman wrote:
I think he was more surprised that Mav was opening them for that short field takeoff (which, BTW, isn't possible in an F-14, but whatevs)

Yeah, that was the clear implication of that comment, evidenced by the continuation of the conversation being Rooster trying to talk Maverick out of taking off there.

luckyone

Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:00 pm

cjg225 wrote:
ObadiahPlainman wrote:

Yeah, that was the clear implication of that comment, evidenced by the continuation of the conversation being Rooster trying to talk Maverick out of taking off there.

Good point!

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:55 pm

I got the Senior discount for a 5pm showing at AMC. $10

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:58 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty mediocre, too much copy paste from the original movie combined with a pretty cringe story.

Most sequels are cringe, lame, pandering cash grabs.

sierrakilo44

Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:33 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:

Most sequels are cringe, lame, pandering cash grabs.

The problem is almost all new big movies now are sequels or reboots. Very few original ideas and stories being developed.

Audiences want familiarity and repetition. That’s what makes money, more of the same, and that’s why producers pump out the same movie again and again.

If hasten to say if this year’s new Top Gun was a different movie it would not have done as well. Instead of fast planes and hot actors perhaps Tom Cruise and his buddies are tasked to bomb a real nation the US has bombed over the last 20 years, and then they begin to question the morality or appropriateness of what they are are doing, would make for a better movie but would not make as more money, as it makes the audience think and question their beliefs, rather than mindless action.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvx7m4/ ... eboots-why

Kent350787

Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:41 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I got the Senior discount for a 5pm showing at AMC. $10

I'd almost fall into the same category. I wonder if Tom claims his?

caitlin23

Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:41 am

definitely worth the wait, amazing film!

PhilBy

Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:23 pm

Apparently this film is a breach of copyright!!!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61714737

Or will they accept cash? (i'm not a cynic he lies)

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:41 am

Went for the full Top Gun: Maverick treatment tonight. Dinner at Applebee's, and AMC full recliner leather seats.

The jet scenes, and there are many, are very intense. There are many heroic actions in this movie. There were emotional moments, and, many belly laughs as well. One scene in particular that was emotional, was the scene at a funeral, where a folded American flag, and a salute with rifles were presented.

The memorable music for me, was the Kenny Loggins song "Danger Zone," David Bowie's "Let's Dance," and The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

"Don't think ... Use The Force Pete!!"

cjg225

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:08 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I did like the bit about,

"What were you thinking!?"

"YOU told me NOT to think!"

Zkpilot

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:23 pm

Great movie, saw it on a big screen but want to see it again in imax.

StarAC17

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:40 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

"Won't get Fooled Again" is reserved for David Caruso making cheesy remarks before the opening credits of CSI: Miami. I can't hear this song without thinking of one of these one liners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mznsEcZlM2I

Also to the second point.

This final mission has a lot of similarities to a certain Space Opera that came out sometime in the 70's :duck: :duck:

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:55 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

This final mission has a lot of similarities to a certain Space Opera that came out sometime in the 70's :duck: :duck:

The TGM drama is good. The Space Opera drama was magnitudes better than the TGM drama though, imo.

william

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:28 am

Awesome movie. Brought back memories from 86. Major props for using real aircraft in stunts. Coming from military family I appreciated some of the military lingo. Since Holllywood is a copycat industry hope this starts a trend of less cgi and more real stunts.

And since we are keeping score $612 mill not including this weekend. Apparently Tom Cruise will take his 12 mill base pay and a 100 mill more.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... d5f61627ee

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:59 am

Berlin • Take My Breath Away • Jennifer Connelly •Tom Cruise • Footage from Top Gun: Maverick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTYPGouEtU