Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

78 Years Since D Day Invasion

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:49 am

Monday June 6 marks the 78 year anniversary of the D Day invasion at Normandy. This led to the Allied victory in Europe a year later and was a turning point with World War 2 in Europe.
viewtopic.php?t=1310607&start=50#p18440229

Boeing757100

Re: 78 Years Since D Day Invasion

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:31 am

Because of this, I believe DL is flying troops to Normandy this year to commemorate this anniversary.
https://news.delta.com/us-world-war-ii- ... sary-d-day

All my thanks goes to the troops who put their lives on the line everyday so that we can be safe!

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:28 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Monday June 6 marks the 78 year anniversary of the D Day invasion at Normandy. This led to the Allied victory in Europe a year later and was a turning point with World War 2 in Europe.

Is 78 years an important anniversary?

Francoflier

Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 am

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Given the amount of kids who came from all over the World to die in Europe to defend it against tyranny, I'd say any anniversary is an important enough one. Especially at a time when aggressive fascists regimes are once again threatening Europe and the old continent seems no closer to being able or even willing to defend freedom on its own turf than it was 80 years ago...

cjg225

Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Yes, for a variety of reasons. Including how few people are left alive who were there and how important that day was in world history.

910A

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:13 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Because of this, I believe DL is flying troops to Normandy this year to commemorate this anniversary.
https://news.delta.com/us-world-war-ii- ... sary-d-day

All my thanks goes to the troops who put their lives on the line everyday so that we can be safe!

Coming home today...6/7..
Good job by Delta and Best Defense Foundation. Somebody wrote is the 78th anniversary is important. Well these vets are in their mid to late 90's they might not be around in two years.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:32 pm

One D-Day vet near me is 101.

casinterest

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:45 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
One D-Day vet near me is 101.

There won't be many WW2 vets left as we go through the next few years.

78 years since D-Day. Amazing how short, yet how long ago that was.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:15 pm

I suppose it's an encouraging sign that many of the popular younger couples doing reaction videos on YT have focused on Band of Brothers, the Pacific, and Saving Private Ryan.

johns624

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:20 pm

I was at Omaha Beach a few weeks after the 75th Anniversary. It was very moving, not just the site but how many thousands still visit it daily.

readytotaxi

Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:04 pm

As long as people do not forget the sacrifice that others gave.

cjg225

Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:41 am

johns624 wrote:
I was at Omaha Beach a few weeks after the 75th Anniversary. It was very moving, not just the site but how many thousands still visit it daily.

I've been to the Nettuno American Military Cemetery, but I really do want to visit the Normandy American Military Cemetery someday; I'm sure that's quite the emotional experience.

flyingclrs727

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:09 am

Francoflier wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Given the amount of kids who came from all over the World to die in Europe to defend it against tyranny, I'd say any anniversary is an important enough one. Especially at a time when aggressive fascists regimes are once again threatening Europe and the old continent seems no closer to being able or even willing to defend freedom on its own turf than it was 80 years ago...

Every year the number of veterans of WWII dwindles even more. A 19 year old participating in Overlord would be 97 now. As long as there are veterans still living, there will be interest in each anniversary. I could imagine interest will still continue among the descendants too.

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:38 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Every year the number of veterans of WWII dwindles even more. A 19 year old participating in Overlord would be 97 now. As long as there are veterans still living, there will be interest in each anniversary. I could imagine interest will still continue among the descendants too.

The anniversaries most people make a song and dance over are usually every 10 or 25 years.

flyingclrs727

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:20 am

Kiwirob wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

The anniversaries most people make a song and dance over are usually every 10 or 25 years.

Most surviving D-Day veterans won't make it past the 80th anniversary to the 90th. I pretty large proportion won't make it from the 78th to the 80th.

cjg225

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:21 pm

This is like when a person gets to be a certain age. Every birthday becomes a celebration because you don't know if the person will make it to the next one. There are so few World War II veterans still alive, and even fewer who participated in some of the biggest events of the war, of which D-Day is certainly one.

Nicoeddf

Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:02 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Yes, for a variety of reasons. Including how few people are left alive who were there and how important that day was in world history.

In world history D-Day is ridiculously unimportant. Actually irrelevant.

But yes, in modern history a very important day if you fancy the slaughtering of young men, sons, husbands, fathers or all nations involved.

Let’s celebrate the sacrifice, though. Shall we not? Dying for your country. What a narrative.

Nicoeddf

Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

But yes, in modern history a very important day if you fancy the slaughtering of young men, sons, husbands, fathers or all nations involved.

Let’s celebrate the sacrifice, though. Shall we not? Dying for your country. What a narrative.

Slight disclaimer: that perspective dramatically shifts obviously if you somehow came to believe the age of the “world” is something like 2 to 4K years.

johns624

Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:20 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

What would be your solution to the problem of Hitler?

Nicoeddf

Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:10 am

johns624 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

Don’t change the direction of the argument, please. I don’t find the slaughtering of a 100k men of all nations in just a couple of days a reason to celebrate.

Having the Nazi regime removed is obviously worthy a great deal of celebrations. D-Day as one puzzle piece to achieve that, with brutal mowing down of men, not so much. Should be a day of quiet mourning, if anything.

A101

Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:42 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Don’t change the direction of the argument, please. I don’t find the slaughtering of a 100k men of all nations in just a couple of days a reason to celebrate.

Having the Nazi regime removed is obviously worthy a great deal of celebrations. D-Day as one puzzle piece to achieve that, with brutal mowing down of men, not so much. Should be a day of quiet mourning, if anything.

Its a day of reflection for the fact that it was the start of the down fall of Nazi Germany, D-Day is immensely important to the culmination of ending tyranny on the European continent, it was a remarkable achievement against a lot of odds

cjg225

Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:29 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

Slight disclaimer: that perspective dramatically shifts obviously if you somehow came to believe the age of the “world” is something like 2 to 4K years.

Not quite sure I've ever seen a more amusing attempt at making a pedantic argument than this.

johns624

Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:45 pm

A101 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Its a day of reflection for the fact that it was the start of the down fall of Nazi Germany, D-Day is immensely important to the culmination of ending tyranny on the European continent, it was a remarkable achievement against a lot of odds
That's the way that I've always looked at it. I never considered it a "celebration".

Nicoeddf

Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:23 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Not quite sure I've ever seen a more amusing attempt at making a pedantic argument than this.

Right? :-)