Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: January 6 Committee public presentations and hearings

Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:29 pm

The Jan 6 grand jury subpoenas increased to 40 this week. This is widely believed to be in preparation for the 60 day "quiet" period the DoJ observes before an election, to avoid the perception of influencing results. So we will likely not hear much more on the grand jury until after the election.

The Jan 6 committee has no such obligation, so hearings will resume this month.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/12/us/p ... 6-doj.html

Looking forward to see if Pence finds it upon himself to testify about what it felt like to be an object of such angst from these insurrectionists.

The panel’s protracted negotiations to obtain Pence’s testimony are also ongoing with no resolution yet, according to people familiar with the discussions. While visiting New Hampshire last month, Pence declined to rule out testifying to the Capitol riot committee, saying he would “consider it.” He also promised to be more vocal about his experience on Jan. 6, when a mob of Trump supporters chased him from the Capitol, some threatening to hang him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/1 ... e-00055976

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:14 am

The Jan 6 committee will hold what is expected to be the final public hearing at 1 pm on September 28th.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/politics ... index.html

casinterest

Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:19 pm

The Jan 6 committee will hold what is expected to be the final public hearing at 1 pm on September 28th.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/politics ... index.html

Should be interesting to see the final fallout in the White House of the coverup that ensued over the hours and days following the raid to show how some of the most deplorable traitors in Congress changed their tune and allowed Trump to not face responsibility for the insurrection.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:58 pm

Sadly, the 1/6 Committee's work will be too little, too late to seek penalties on Donald Trump, for sure nothing will happen with Republican Congressional enablers of the terror attack. Democrats won't get any benefit in the Fall elections from the hearings due to more critical economic and social issues. Recommendations to limit the chance of another attack will likely be ignored or watered down. For many, they see the terror attack on the Capitol on 1/6/21 as a one-time aberration that will never happen again.

The real danger post-1/6 has been and will be in a number of Republican dominated states continuing to limit the access to voting, allow overriding of votes by state governors, election officials and legislatures due to clams of 'corruption' as to Democrats winning including for the Electoral College vote for Presidents, gerrymandering districts to totally control US House districts for Republicans.

Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:33 am

The Jan 6 committee will hold their deferred hearing tomorrow, Oct 13 at 1 pm ET. No live testimony but a review of information collected over the summer, including from the Secret Service. May feature some information on Roger Stone and his connection to right-wing militant groups.

The committee today asked to interview Newt Gingrich. Already have interviewed Ginni Thomas, who confirmed she still believes the 2020 election was stolen.

art

Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:36 pm

I was watching this just now. Decision made to subpoena a certain Donald Trump.

casinterest

Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:02 pm

art wrote:

While I applaud the move, this won't happen unless the dems when the senate and take over the commission.

Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:24 pm

I suspect the subpoena was done in response to the critics who claim Trump is being tried without representation. I have heard that argument endlessly in other forums. This is an opportunity for Trump to tell his side.

But of course he will evade and delay, as he always does, and time is on his side, as he only need do so for about 3 months. But he will have been given the opportunity to speak.

To me the import of today's hearing was the evidence that he prepared the stolen election theory in advance. And that he knew in advance the rally would become violent. And that he felt the violence was deserved.

The fact that he ordered the motorcade to be kept available, and the new Secret Service texts that he was pissed, lends credence to Hutchinson's testimony that he was livid about being taken back to the White House.

Makes one wonder what would have happened if he had been allowed to go the Capitol. Would he have personally directed the assault?

art

Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:12 pm

casinterest wrote:
art wrote:

While I applaud the move, this won't happen unless the dems when the senate and take over the commission.

Something I totally deplore in the US. Everything seems to be politicised almost to the extreme - to the extent that basic integrity is seen as an annoying inconvenience by most US politicians. What matters to politicians when another politician is accused of doing wrong is not seeking the truth of the matter. That is way, way less important than preventing a fellow member of your political tribe facing justice.

luckyone

Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:41 pm

I suspect the subpoena was done in response to the critics who claim Trump is being tried without representation. I have heard that argument endlessly in other forums. This is an opportunity for Trump to tell his side.

But of course he will evade and delay, as he always does, and time is on his side, as he only need do so for about 3 months. But he will have been given the opportunity to speak.

To me the import of today's hearing was the evidence that he prepared the stolen election theory in advance. And that he knew in advance the rally would become violent. And that he felt the violence was deserved.

The fact that he ordered the motorcade to be kept available, and the new Secret Service texts that he was pissed, lends credence to Hutchinson's testimony that he was livid about being taken back to the White House.

Makes one wonder what would have happened if he had been allowed to go the Capitol. Would he have personally directed the assault?

In hindsight it would’ve been a lot harder for him to wriggle out of culpability.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:00 pm

Subpoena Trump is pointless as he will likely never show up, he will just plea the 5th all day long. All these investigations on Trump are pointless as he will never be indicted.

Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:32 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Subpoena Trump is pointless as he will likely never show up, he will just plea the 5th all day long. All these investigations on Trump are pointless as he will never be indicted.

It's never pointless to tell the truth. As Kinzinger said, truth matters. Character matters. Lies have consequences.

The committee has offered Trump a fair chance to defend himself. They have revealed the facts that they have found. This is Trump's chance to reveal his own facts & truth, from his own perspective.

But I suspect you are right that he won't avail himself, because the truth is not something he desires, or that works to his advantage. I could not imagine what he could say to deflect the avalanche of evidence amassed by the committee.

It may be as you say, that his consequences won't involve legal punishment. That's up to the DoJ and the courts to decide. But at least the truth has been bought forward. About what he actually did, and the lies he told to the country. So no one can claim that they didn't know, or didn't understand.

casinterest

Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:18 am

Sobering reminder of what was going on with Pelosi and Shumer during Jan 6.

They were actually trying to get help while Donald Trump sat and watched it all happen.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... ng-vpx.cnn

Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 am

casinterest wrote:

They were actually trying to get help while Donald Trump sat and watched it all happen.

Not just Democrats, but Republicans as well, including McConnell and McCarthy. They were all trying to deal with the situation.

The hearings have given a lot of focus to those two, as Republican leaders. McConnell has stuck to his guns more or less with regard to Trump, but McCarthy has completely folded. I wish they could do A/B comparisons to his statements then and now, but they are trying to not be political, so are just showing the A side, and obliquely referencing his lack of cooperation with the committee.

I have to give a shout-out to Lisa Desjardan of PBS NewsHour. She was inside the Capitol on Jan 6 and captured the whole thing live on her tablet, sometimes having to run & shelter in place. She was asked today how she felt watching the legislators try to cope, but as a true reporter, she said her impressions were not important, she was far more interested in capturing how the participants felt and reacted.

She did a great job that day and continues to do so. The three women of PBS schooled the other networks. Judy Woodruff as anchor, Amna Nawaz outside the Capitol, and Lisa inside the building. Far better coverage than studios full of talking heads.

casinterest

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:40 pm

casinterest wrote:

Not just Democrats, but Republicans as well, including McConnell and McCarthy. They were all trying to deal with the situation.

The hearings have given a lot of focus to those two, as Republican leaders. McConnell has stuck to his guns more or less with regard to Trump, but McCarthy has completely folded. I wish they could do A/B comparisons to his statements then and now, but they are trying to not be political, so are just showing the A side, and obliquely referencing his lack of cooperation with the committee.

I have to give a shout-out to Lisa Desjardan of PBS NewsHour. She was inside the Capitol on Jan 6 and captured the whole thing live on her tablet, sometimes having to run & shelter in place. She was asked today how she felt watching the legislators try to cope, but as a true reporter, she said her impressions were not important, she was far more interested in capturing how the participants felt and reacted.

She did a great job that day and continues to do so. The three women of PBS schooled the other networks. Judy Woodruff as anchor, Amna Nawaz outside the Capitol, and Lisa inside the building. Far better coverage than studios full of talking heads.

McConnell has not stuck to any guns. He never tried to hold Trump or the organizers of the "Stop the Steal" accountable in any way. Both shrunk back into a party driven by fear and hate rather than accountabiltiy and justice.

casinterest

Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:19 pm

And just like that Trump has given what his testimony will be in letter format. Delusional and absent of factual data is about all you can say for it. Does show all the gullable flock that showed up for his Big Lie at the "Stop the Steal" Rally.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-sec ... -response/

Trump’s letter rehashes many of the same claims he’s made in the more than 18 months since the riot. He claimed he had authorized thousands of National Guard troops to defend the Capitol, a claim that his former acting Defense secretary has refuted in testimony to the committee.

And he repeated his claims that election results in Georgia, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania were all dubious because of reports of irregularities or suspicion about movement of ballots. But in each state, officials certified the results after audits and recounts. Testimony from Justice Department officials to the committee laid out how the department looked into each of Trump’s claims and was able to debunk or explain each of them.

The letter started with the use of ALL CAPS in order for Trump to make sure he had everyone's attention.

https://cdn.nucleusfiles.com/27/27b7896 ... r14446.pdf

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF 2020 WAS RIGGED AND STOLEN!

Pattently false. If Trump still beleives this, how come he has no real proof, and why has all the proof posted in the letter never been admitted in court?

Sigh.

Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:32 pm

He's still following the plan formulated before the election. If you lose, claim the election was stolen and then deny, deny, deny. That's all he has to do to retain the support of the MAGA's, and that's his only goal at present.

It doesn't have to be true, it just has to keep people who think with their emotions, fired up. This is the entire MAGA strategy.

It's why Ronna McDaniel, the RNC chairwoman, testified under oath that she and others in RNC knew the election was lost. But continues to this day to claim otherwise in fundraising materials. It's all about energizing the base and keeping the money flowing. She can pay Trump's legal bills for Jan 6, because she is raising far more than that amount, based on his claims.

This letter from Trump will be accompanied by another RNC fundraising appeal that quotes it. The public/private duality is what's wrong with the Republican party today.

casinterest

Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:37 pm

He's still following the plan formulated before the election. If you lose, claim the election was stolen and then deny, deny, deny. That's all he has to do to retain the support of the MAGA's, and that's his only goal at present.

It doesn't have to be true, it just has to keep people who think with their emotions, fired up. This is the entire MAGA strategy.

It's why Ronna McDaniel, the RNC chairwoman, testified under oath that she and others in RNC knew the election was lost. But continues to this day to claim otherwise in fundraising materials. It's all about energizing the base and keeping the money flowing.

This letter from Trump will be accompanied by another RNC fundraising appeal that quotes it.

It will go to all those folks that wish to enrich a con man at their own expense.

BN747

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:40 pm

'A con man' almost toppled the mightiest nation in human history.

That's the short explanation of what occurred from 2016-2020.
The image is truly disturbing when any sane citizen pauses and give deep thought to this deadly fiasco..all sent in motion by
a despicable greedy lying bastard..who had the support of many on members here. They're all silent now..as if it never happened.

A look back at the Obama threads, their seething hatred loaded the threads will vile vitriol ..and in the shadow of America's new traitor, Donald Trump.
One president catches hell from wearing a tan suit..the other nearly tosses Democracy into a burn pit and the outrage is minimal.

It sickens me to no end recalling of that and now if the face of actual behind the scenes footage we see how we escape some ghastly executions of US gov't
officials - and make no mistake, the faces of those destroying the Capitol would have use their bare teeth to inflict harm of Pelosi and others..
..that savage crowd of morons - running anything beyond a lemonade stand is unimaginable.

The footage shown yesterday - worldwide showed the fragility of American government, allies and enemies saw it all.
As a US AIr Force veteran, I couldn't be anymore embarrassed that this country nearly unraveled at the behest of a down right Thug!

I'm keenly aware that many of those marauding savage goons are ex- and active military and police..but they are responsible for their
giving into the wild dreams of a mad man wanting to allow armed individuals to raid the Capitol building itself - assuring violence.

Personally, I've to terminate long time friendships with a few people who tried their very best to convince men Loser Trump was 'a decent guy,
he's out for America' ..I found myself asking 'how could they not see what was really going on?'
How could they not see that this turd of a human (full disclosure - positive words from me regarding Trump exist on A.net archives but that was
long before politician Trump) - but with the discarded 'friends', it came down to one thing - Racism. The very core of the MAGA center.

America has a long way to go to recover from this, if it can the damage is so deep, so many minds warped into believing the Big Lie and worse
...and voting some 4 weeks away should give a clear picture of how disjointed American society is OR the possibility of of a brighter America.

How the hell did it come down this?

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:43 pm

bennett123

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:53 pm

The US is not out of the woods yet.

These are scary times.

Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:09 pm

BN747 wrote:

America has a long way to go to recover from this, if it can the damage is so deep, so many minds warped into believing the Big Lie and worse
...and voting some 4 weeks away should give a clear picture of how disjointed American society is OR the possibility of of a brighter America.

I think you've captured the sentiment of a large fraction of Americans. When I learned about the WW2 history of Germany and Japan in high school, I used to wonder how their leadership could come to power. I think Trump has given us a lesson on how it's done.

You first stoke, and then tap into, anger of the people against their own government. You tell them they've been abused, cheated, persecuted. Then you promise that you're on their side and will fix things for them, but you need their unconditional loyalty and support. It's essential for them to remain angry, to suppress any rational reflections they might have, on what's really happening.

I remember Trump's inaugural address, that was so dark, full of foreboding and laying out a terrible dystopian vision of America. Such a huge change from the optimism typically expressed by new Presidents.

I realize now that was a necessary component of the strategy. Happy and optimistic people won't support a maniacal person in pursuit of power. They have to be unhappy, pessimistic and angry. You have to stoke their fears and assure them they are real, and that only you stand between them and doom. Only you will stand up for them.

That essentially defines the MAGAs. Those who rely on them must keep asserting that "they are coming to get you, unless you support me". That is the magic MAGA formula.

So that is how we got here. It will probably take a generation to undo this damage to the fabric of America. There will always be public figures willing to exploit others. But the people have to learn not to be exploited. That's always been an American strength.

hh65man

Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:43 pm

That letter is clear proof the man isn’t playing with a full deck of cards. It’s beyond shocking to read, realising this was written by a former sitting President. It’s so far fetched it gives me a headache.

Vintage

Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:08 pm

BN747 wrote:
It isn't the first time; Julius Caesar toppled the Roman Republic which was almost 500 years old at the time.

It will probably take a generation to undo this damage to the fabric of America.
It will take a lot longer than that if the nation is ever to be made whole. Trump also tapped into and magnified the leftover divisiveness and ill will from the civil war.

BN747

Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:58 pm

bennett123 wrote:

These are scary times.

We certainly are not...

BN747 wrote:

I think you've captured the sentiment of a large fraction of Americans. When I learned about the WW2 history of Germany and Japan in high school, I used to wonder how their leadership could come to power. I think Trump has given us a lesson on how it's done.

You first stoke, and then tap into, anger of the people against their own government. You tell them they've been abused, cheated, persecuted. Then you promise that you're on their side and will fix things for them, but you need their unconditional loyalty and support. It's essential for them to remain angry, to suppress any rational reflections they might have, on what's really happening.

I remember Trump's inaugural address, that was so dark, full of foreboding and laying out a terrible dystopian vision of America. Such a huge change from the optimism typically expressed by new Presidents.

I realize now that was a necessary component of the strategy. Happy and optimistic people won't support a maniacal person in pursuit of power. They have to be unhappy, pessimistic and angry. You have to stoke their fears and assure them they are real, and that only you stand between them and doom. Only you will stand up for them.

That essentially defines the MAGAs. Those who rely on them must keep asserting that "they are coming to get you, unless you support me". That is the magic MAGA formula.

So that is how we got here. It will probably take a generation to undo this damage to the fabric of America. There will always be public figures willing to exploit others. But the people have to learn not to be exploited. That's always been an American strength.

Your mention of WW 2 reminded me of watching Midway (2018) for the 20+ time...a brilliant depiction of how fragile new giant America really was.
Seeing these young guys flying in those buckets of bolts taking down a massive mightier opponent. This plus the Morgan Spector starred mini-series Plot Against America - where 1930s aviation hero Charles Lindbergh, bestie of Hermann Goehring succeed in talking America out even entering WW 2 - which in real life did come very close as the Lindberghs slunk back into shame
as many MAGA fans should be made feel...they're appreciation for America is limited only for themselves - not all other Americans.

It was Lincoln who had the foresight to state 'America is Humanity's last best hope...' paraphrasing but his point is clear...tyrants, kings, ruthless leaders always end in devastating fashion.

..and today his words are no more profound.
As the world is on edge with so much going on, stable leadership is needed more now that ever...and stable leadership has never come in the form of insecure men too afraid
to suit up for military service but will trash fallen soldiers at the drop of hat. In street vernacular, a punk bitch who has never throw a punch in a street fight. I'm not advocating violence as I'm
merely pointing out someone who doesn't know the pain of being hit or hitting and hurting someone should never be behind the tiller of power. Especially in a world were those like Trump's puppet
master Putin is not afraid of mass indiscriminate killing.

Get rid of guys like him..and then there is no need for military forces. But this is not that world.

America's military might is indeed something to marvel but in the hand of a stark raving lunatic calling them 'his generals' aka dictator speak..surely could have taken the world to it's worst nightmare.

Allow me to expand on your post a bit with what I have seen in my years.

As a young military brat, i was a flag waving Iron Mike (Ft. Bragg) kid, thought tough talking Calif. Gov. Reagan was great candidate against Nixon in 1968.
By 1976, the late RFK message had set in I was all in for Carter as I had learned of Reagan's cooperation with Red Scare Joe McCarthy.

But what I have observed in the progress of race relations was this...

Reagan's 3rd attempt (1980) was launched in Philadelphia, Miss - the same town where a young black man and young two white men James Cheney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman Civil Rights were killed (1964) trying to register Black voters.
When Reagan did that, it cause me to do some due diligence, which I have been since.

When Carter won, his call for worldwide respect of Human Rights a volley fired at brutal dictators including those the US had installed - this was met with scorn and ridicule at home and abroad.
This was the beginning of the lethal nastiness in politics, apparently two political assassinations combined with Civil Rights leaders being killed..politics had go extra nasty with words triggering action.
Republicans and politically frightened Democrats (most) totally roasted him for even suggesting America ween itself off Saudi oil...45 years ago. Imagine had we listened instead of resorting to ridicule.
Republicans exploited his first Black cabinet positions instead of cheering those achievements...yes they had the right to be racist, but did it help or hurt the nation?

The people saw, heard and got that message loud and clear.
Sure, pre-Reagan, Lee Atwater lit the match for Repubicans under Nixon in racial hatred, while Blacks were getting their act together politically, it became clear this had to be knee capped at every turn.

Reagan wins after successfully character assassination of Carter and running interference with the Iran Hostages event which was later exposed in Iran-Contra.

Reagan and Bush played the tough guy American leader role well, Bush was accomplished as he was a WWII pilot, Reagan..a B-rated actor playing the part with great speech writers
and periodic wife whispers in his ear, as ion telling him what to say... in front of the world.
Now, today it is exposed that Reagan's War on Drugs was merely a spinoff of Nixon's War on Crime - and outright Racist campaign against Black America.

..and it worked, white Americans saw welfare queens, crackheads everywhere. The message was getting through to them..steer clear of the Dems and the minorities.

Bush Sr, hit one out of the park when he replaced the seat on Supreme Court (noble Civil Rights champion) Thurgood Marshall with a younger Hershel Walker, Clarence Thomas, the kind of
Black man who hates his own skin so much he's employ the speed of light to out run it if he could. Blacks were taught to hate themselves for several hundreds of years..of course there are
residuals. By getting Thomas (Anita Hill would have been a far superior jurist) on the bench, he silenced white Liberals because he picked a Black man and silenced Black people with sheer
shock of pulling it off.

There has always been a white baklash in America when progress is made by Blacks, now women, now gays, now any sex anyone wishes to be that not to the liking of the Religious Right (the
largest gathering of perverts out there).

Clinton, played both sides, pacifying many conservative whites while sticking with the War on Drugs (while drug cargo filtered thru Arkansas while he was gov. see Eugene Hasenfuss story).

His reign sent white Americans toward another fake tough guy, George W. Bush..who looked into Putin's soul, and saw what exactly?

His madness sent the America toward wanting lesser war mongering - to Obama.

The world celebrate America's milestone - half of America did not see it that way at all. A Black dude in the White House. I don't recall Russia celebrating this, perhaps this when Putin
planned the idea in TraitorTrump's mind that Obama was not, actually an American. That's a muse on my part given Trump has no mind for factual historical interests in any shape or form.

Regardless, all the voting/polling data his 'caught & burned agent' Paul Manafort had shipped off to Russia during the Trump 2016 campaign paid off - on Facebook, where they would really
crank up the racial hatred on Obama paving the way for the MAGA Minds we saw raiding, fighting, pissing and shitting in the US Capitol.

That's how we got there from where I sit,

The old adage of History repeats itself does come to mind as I see that people have difficulties in transferring lessons learned generationally.

In 2022, we have a freakin' governor in Florida running a 'don't say Gay' campaign, in other states, don't talk about slavery, etc...

It's long past time for the War of Ignorance.

BN747

Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks for the insightful post. It's interesting to compare Carter to Trump as one-term presidents who lost re-election.

Carter's entire life has been a study in kindness and decency, which has never waivered. It had to be hard for him to see the Iranians use the hostages as a political tool against him, to influence the election, with Reagan going along for the ride. But he remained gracious in defeat and has only improved his legacy since then. He never saw it as being about him.

Trump is from a different universe entirely, where everything is reversed. It's all about him, and only him. It would be difficult to even put Carter and Trump on the same spectrum of behavior.

M564038

Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:11 pm

Brilliant stuff!

BN747 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

These are scary times.

We certainly are not...

BN747 wrote:

Your mention of WW 2 reminded me of watching Midway (2018) for the 20+ time...a brilliant depiction of how fragile new giant America really was.
Seeing these young guys flying in those buckets of bolts taking down a massive mightier opponent. This plus the Morgan Spector starred mini-series Plot Against America - where 1930s aviation hero Charles Lindbergh, bestie of Hermann Goehring succeed in talking America out even entering WW 2 - which in real life did come very close as the Lindberghs slunk back into shame
as many MAGA fans should be made feel...they're appreciation for America is limited only for themselves - not all other Americans.

It was Lincoln who had the foresight to state 'America is Humanity's last best hope...' paraphrasing but his point is clear...tyrants, kings, ruthless leaders always end in devastating fashion.

..and today his words are no more profound.
As the world is on edge with so much going on, stable leadership is needed more now that ever...and stable leadership has never come in the form of insecure men too afraid
to suit up for military service but will trash fallen soldiers at the drop of hat. In street vernacular, a punk bitch who has never throw a punch in a street fight. I'm not advocating violence as I'm
merely pointing out someone who doesn't know the pain of being hit or hitting and hurting someone should never be behind the tiller of power. Especially in a world were those like Trump's puppet
master Putin is not afraid of mass indiscriminate killing.

Get rid of guys like him..and then there is no need for military forces. But this is not that world.

America's military might is indeed something to marvel but in the hand of a stark raving lunatic calling them 'his generals' aka dictator speak..surely could have taken the world to it's worst nightmare.

Allow me to expand on your post a bit with what I have seen in my years.

As a young military brat, i was a flag waving Iron Mike (Ft. Bragg) kid, thought tough talking Calif. Gov. Reagan was great candidate against Nixon in 1968.
By 1976, the late RFK message had set in I was all in for Carter as I had learned of Reagan's cooperation with Red Scare Joe McCarthy.

But what I have observed in the progress of race relations was this...

Reagan's 3rd attempt (1980) was launched in Philadelphia, Miss - the same town where a young black man and young two white men James Cheney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman Civil Rights were killed (1964) trying to register Black voters.
When Reagan did that, it cause me to do some due diligence, which I have been since.

When Carter won, his call for worldwide respect of Human Rights a volley fired at brutal dictators including those the US had installed - this was met with scorn and ridicule at home and abroad.
This was the beginning of the lethal nastiness in politics, apparently two political assassinations combined with Civil Rights leaders being killed..politics had go extra nasty with words triggering action.
Republicans and politically frightened Democrats (most) totally roasted him for even suggesting America ween itself off Saudi oil...45 years ago. Imagine had we listened instead of resorting to ridicule.
Republicans exploited his first Black cabinet positions instead of cheering those achievements...yes they had the right to be racist, but did it help or hurt the nation?

The people saw, heard and got that message loud and clear.
Sure, pre-Reagan, Lee Atwater lit the match for Repubicans under Nixon in racial hatred, while Blacks were getting their act together politically, it became clear this had to be knee capped at every turn.

Reagan wins after successfully character assassination of Carter and running interference with the Iran Hostages event which was later exposed in Iran-Contra.

Reagan and Bush played the tough guy American leader role well, Bush was accomplished as he was a WWII pilot, Reagan..a B-rated actor playing the part with great speech writers
and periodic wife whispers in his ear, as ion telling him what to say... in front of the world.
Now, today it is exposed that Reagan's War on Drugs was merely a spinoff of Nixon's War on Crime - and outright Racist campaign against Black America.

..and it worked, white Americans saw welfare queens, crackheads everywhere. The message was getting through to them..steer clear of the Dems and the minorities.

Bush Sr, hit one out of the park when he replaced the seat on Supreme Court (noble Civil Rights champion) Thurgood Marshall with a younger Hershel Walker, Clarence Thomas, the kind of
Black man who hates his own skin so much he's employ the speed of light to out run it if he could. Blacks were taught to hate themselves for several hundreds of years..of course there are
residuals. By getting Thomas (Anita Hill would have been a far superior jurist) on the bench, he silenced white Liberals because he picked a Black man and silenced Black people with sheer
shock of pulling it off.

There has always been a white baklash in America when progress is made by Blacks, now women, now gays, now any sex anyone wishes to be that not to the liking of the Religious Right (the
largest gathering of perverts out there).

Clinton, played both sides, pacifying many conservative whites while sticking with the War on Drugs (while drug cargo filtered thru Arkansas while he was gov. see Eugene Hasenfuss story).

His reign sent white Americans toward another fake tough guy, George W. Bush..who looked into Putin's soul, and saw what exactly?

His madness sent the America toward wanting lesser war mongering - to Obama.

The world celebrate America's milestone - half of America did not see it that way at all. A Black dude in the White House. I don't recall Russia celebrating this, perhaps this when Putin
planned the idea in TraitorTrump's mind that Obama was not, actually an American. That's a muse on my part given Trump has no mind for factual historical interests in any shape or form.

Regardless, all the voting/polling data his 'caught & burned agent' Paul Manafort had shipped off to Russia during the Trump 2016 campaign paid off - on Facebook, where they would really
crank up the racial hatred on Obama paving the way for the MAGA Minds we saw raiding, fighting, pissing and shitting in the US Capitol.

That's how we got there from where I sit,

The old adage of History repeats itself does come to mind as I see that people have difficulties in transferring lessons learned generationally.

In 2022, we have a freakin' governor in Florida running a 'don't say Gay' campaign, in other states, don't talk about slavery, etc...

It's long past time for the War of Ignorance.

BN747

Aaron747

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:12 pm

Trump’s response to the J6 committee is every bit as nuts as one would expect. Dude needs a straitjacket.

Vintage

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Trump’s response to the J6 committee is every bit as nuts as one would expect. Dude needs a straitjacket.

The problem is that we would need 70 million straitjackets. The base eats that crap up.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:38 pm

One thing that got to me during Thursday's presentation was the video by Speaker Pelosi's daughter showing her mom really scared [shiftless] about what was happening at the capitol that day, knowing that she and others were target of assassination but despite that as other videos showed, carried out her job and duties unlike Trump, keeping as a priority to actually doing the final procedures hours later to confirm Biden and Harris won as President and VP. At one point, she expressed being so angry with Trump that she wanted to hit him. President Biden should give a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Speaker Pelosi for standing up to Trump and despite the horrors around her, did her duty to her country and the Constitution unlike Trump.

BN747

Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:08 pm

ltbewr wrote:
One thing that got to me during Thursday's presentation was the video by Speaker Pelosi's daughter showing her mom really scared [shiftless] about what was happening at the capitol that day, knowing that she and others were target of assassination but despite that as other videos showed, carried out her job and duties unlike Trump, keeping as a priority to actually doing the final procedures hours later to confirm Biden and Harris won as President and VP. At one point, she expressed being so angry with Trump that she wanted to hit him. President Biden should give a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Speaker Pelosi for standing up to Trump and despite the horrors around her, did her duty to her country and the Constitution unlike Trump.

I found it very interesting amid all that commotion...John Thune, the tall stone faced loyal Moscow Mitchell Lieutenant was swaying, rocking back and forth in hypnotic fashion - as if he's gotta rocket outta there..he was gone!
A grown man, acting like that while everyone else show a modicum of composure while all hell is breaking loose around - as they watch it happening.

But most disturbing is Trump wanted Zip-Tie guy and others to actually execute someone so he could immediately invoke the Insurrection Act...followed by Marshall Law.
His 'Take the mags down (magnetometers) Let them through..' regarding his rifle armed supporters - as he said 'they won't hurt me'.
He wanted blood running down the Capitol steps.
He wanted the mayhem to continue and he wanted to be there...and it could have happened so easily as Secret Service agents were ready to draw down on one another (team Pence v team Trump).

But yes, Pelosi did step up with a pair and called Everyone for assistance! Schumer was steamed...while Mitch and Grassley looked on not saying much (knowing full well that their 'no impeachment' votes were their free passes should Trump prevail. ...why weren't they making calls?
The J6 Committee did a brilliant job of telling most the story, I say most because there is no way Trump thought this all up on his own.., he just doesn't have it him.

As Howard Dean said today, the Secret Service needs to be decapitated for starters...a ton of investigations are on the horizon.

BN747

Pellegrine

Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:24 am

BN747 wrote:

That's the short explanation of what occurred from 2016-2020.
The image is truly disturbing when any sane citizen pauses and give deep thought to this deadly fiasco..all sent in motion by
a despicable greedy lying bastard..who had the support of many on members here. They're all silent now..as if it never happened.

A look back at the Obama threads, their seething hatred loaded the threads will vile vitriol ..and in the shadow of America's new traitor, Donald Trump.
One president catches hell from wearing a tan suit..the other nearly tosses Democracy into a burn pit and the outrage is minimal.

It sickens me to no end recalling of that and now if the face of actual behind the scenes footage we see how we escape some ghastly executions of US gov't
officials - and make no mistake, the faces of those destroying the Capitol would have use their bare teeth to inflict harm of Pelosi and others..
..that savage crowd of morons - running anything beyond a lemonade stand is unimaginable.

The footage shown yesterday - worldwide showed the fragility of American government, allies and enemies saw it all.
As a US AIr Force veteran, I couldn't be anymore embarrassed that this country nearly unraveled at the behest of a down right Thug!

I'm keenly aware that many of those marauding savage goons are ex- and active military and police..but they are responsible for their
giving into the wild dreams of a mad man wanting to allow armed individuals to raid the Capitol building itself - assuring violence.

Personally, I've to terminate long time friendships with a few people who tried their very best to convince men Loser Trump was 'a decent guy,
he's out for America' ..I found myself asking 'how could they not see what was really going on?'
How could they not see that this turd of a human (full disclosure - positive words from me regarding Trump exist on A.net archives but that was
long before politician Trump) - but with the discarded 'friends', it came down to one thing - Racism. The very core of the MAGA center.

BN747

Mmm, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Everyone who was anyone in the NE US knew Trump was a charlatan and a con long ago. I remember when I was a kid and an uncle of mine who lived in Philadelphia would drive us to Atlantic City to his Taj Mahal to eat at the buffet, the whole time denigrating and laughing at this man with his plastic fixtures in his hotel, sheathed in faux gold varnish.

And to look at the Democrat and Republican leadership in their safe location at Fort McNair trying to do something, anything...to quell this criminal nonsense... What a shocking comparison with baby Trump, demanding to be driven to the Capitol, by then safely ensconced in the White House. For shame.

Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:43 am

Jeffrey Clark is the Assistant Attorney General whom Trump briefly considered appointing as Attorney General, in order to pressure Georgia into launching an investigation of falsely claimed voting irregularities. This was the meeting where a large fraction of the DoJ threatened to resign, if Trump had appointed Clark, as Clark recommended.

Clark has been charged with ethics violations for that activity, by the D.C. Bar Association. But now has filed suit in federal court, saying a local Bar does not have jurisdiction to punish him for activities he undertook in a federal position. He claims it's a violation of separation of state and federal powers.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-all ... 022-10-17/

BN747

Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:41 pm

Clark is the turd who is on the phone with Schumer and Pelosi while they were hunkered down while the Capitol was under siege.

We actually heard him, the nation's temporary chief Law Enforcement Officer, being pressured over the (loud speaker) phone by those two pleading for the Capitol
and Clark cowering to his master, (the Con man who began planning permanent residency from Jan 20, 2017) ordering him 'to do nothing'..as Clark dodges and avoids
what everyone was watching line real time.

We heard the AG answer the 3am call and shit his pants because he did not have intestinal fortitude to say "I've notified every border state to rush in their guard units
long all metro DCA community SWAT teams that are en route now as I've secured the authorization of the mayor"...

..he could not say those words because he had already drafted the next stage of their plan, he'd authored to directives for enacting the Insurrection Act for the Traitor president
to seize the government in it's tracks and not allow the electoral process to play.

Kudos go to Michael Cohen, for explaining the weakness of men, like himself (he admitted) who bend every which way to please a perceived more powerful figure.

It's same pressures that Kobe Bryant's pilot was under when you so want to please your employer..you'll negate and dismiss common sense and make a foolish decision.
Anyone ever working around A-list celebs, producers (above-the-liner), NFL stars (even just being attached the team is a BFD, and to a diehard sports nut - it becomes a BFD on steroids!

You'll do anything...and I do mean anything.

Most people never get to see that first hand. But they are the most type of pathetic humans ..and worse are the people who exploit them to no end, til they're all chewed up.
Like Cohen, he knew what he was in for and went in head first and staying til doing time at MCC.

BN747

Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:18 pm

Just to clarify, Clark was never appointed AG, although team Trump tried to force AG Rosen out, and replace him with Clark.

I believe it was Rosen on the phone with Congress, among others. Rosen, like everyone else, did what he could to engage Trump, but didn't get a response from the White House until 3:45 pm that day.

Rosen also testified before the Jan 6 committee about the attempts to replace him, as well as the events of that day, and helped to debunk Trump's claim that he had authorized the National Guard in advance.

https://www.americanoversight.org/ameri ... from-jan-6

Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:33 pm

Special Master Judge Dearie asks Trump counsel, "where's the beef? I need some beef."

He was commenting on perplexing claims of privilege asserted by Trump, in the document logs. He also pointed out that simultaneous claims of executive privilege and personal records were contradictory, as executive privilege only applies to government documents.

He mentioned that he disagrees with Judge Cannon on the lack of rolling logs, with Trump being free to revisit and re-challenge earlier documents, until the very end. He questions whether that process can be completed by the deadline, if there are not regularly scheduled deadlines. And has asked both sides for a schedule as to how they intend to review and propose documents.

Lastly he warned both sides he wouldn't tolerate nonsense arguments from either side, he only wants to see legitimate disputes.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-special-ma ... 09213.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... seized-fbi

casinterest

Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:36 am

Special Master Judge Dearie asks Trump counsel, "where's the beef? I need some beef."

He was commenting on perplexing claims of privilege asserted by Trump, in the document logs. He also pointed out that simultaneous claims of executive privilege and personal records were contradictory, as executive privilege only applies to government documents.

He mentioned that he disagrees with Judge Cannon on the lack of rolling logs, with Trump being free to revisit and re-challenge earlier documents, until the very end. He questions whether that process can be completed by the deadline, if there are not regularly scheduled deadlines. And has asked both sides for a schedule as to how they intend to review and propose documents.

Lastly he warned both sides he wouldn't tolerate nonsense arguments from either side, he only wants to see legitimate disputes.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-special-ma ... 09213.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... seized-fbi

I think Trump's team is going to try to nitpick this to death, but at the end of the day I think Trump created a trap for himself by not just letting the documents be when he left the white house.

I think a lot of this occurred because he had everyone preoccupied with running his lie, instead of doing a transition from Nov 2 -Jan 7.

Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:06 pm

In John Eastman's lawsuit to block his privileged Trump communications from being released to the Jan 6 Committee, Judge Carter has ordered the release of 8 e-mails under the crime-fraud exemption to privilege.

The first 4 e-mails reference the many lawsuits filed after the 2020 election, as a potential delaying tactic to prevent the Jan 6 certification of the election from taking place. They note that unruled actions could prevent states from certifying their results, or provide grounds for legislators to object during the certification proceedings. As such they represent possible evidence of conspiracy against the government.

The second 4 e-mails reference Eastman's advice to Trump that the election fraud numbers provided in state court cases, had been disproved and could not be used in subsequent appeals in federal court. Nonetheless, Trump signed the action which quoted those same numbers in federal court. As such they represent possible evidence of fraud and false evidence presented to the court.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .372.0.pdf

casinterest

Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:35 am

In John Eastman's lawsuit to block his privileged Trump communications from being released to the Jan 6 Committee, Judge Carter has ordered the release of 8 e-mails under the crime-fraud exemption to privilege.

The first 4 e-mails reference the many lawsuits filed after the 2020 election, as a potential delaying tactic to prevent the Jan 6 certification of the election from taking place. They note that unruled actions could prevent states from certifying their results, or provide grounds for legislators to object during the certification proceedings. As such they represent possible evidence of conspiracy against the government.

The second 4 e-mails reference Eastman's advice to Trump that the election fraud numbers provided in state court cases, had been disproved and could not be used in subsequent appeals in federal court. Nonetheless, Trump signed the action which quoted those same numbers in federal court. As such they represent possible evidence of fraud and false evidence presented to the court.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .372.0.pdf

Trump will probably get off by arguing that he can't read, or that Eastman wasa coffee boy that he never really knew.

However, that is rather damning evidence of Fraud. Trump kept up with the lie even though his own council told him it was a lie.

Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Trump was formally subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee today. So the ball is In his court now. This is his opportunity to speak in defense of himself. We'll see if he takes it.

https://news.yahoo.com/jan-6-panel-issu ... 34461.html

casinterest

Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:42 pm

Trump was formally subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee today. So the ball is In his court now. This is his opportunity to speak in defense of himself. We'll see if he takes it.

https://news.yahoo.com/jan-6-panel-issu ... 34461.html

I can't wait to see the tirade over the weekend.

In the mean time, the GOP continues to turn a blind eye to his Qanon embracement.

Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:20 pm

Trump must be employing a small army of attorneys now. He's involved in at least 6 major legal actions, with possibly a 7th in the form of Truth Social. The RNC is paying his bills for several of them that involve his actions as President. My guess is this will be another one.

The RNC has said that all that stops if he announces his candidacy for President in 2024. So my guess is he will be constrained from announcing until very late in the campaign, if at all. Then he will hope to make the leap back into the legal immunity of the Presidency.

The actions he brings against others are being dismissed, one by one. The actions against him are not, and more may be forthcoming.

luckyone

Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:04 pm

Trump must be employing a small army of attorneys now. He's involved in at least 6 major legal actions, with possibly a 7th in the form of Truth Social. The RNC is paying his bills for several of them that involve his actions as President. My guess is this will be another one.

The RNC has said that all that stops if he announces his candidacy for President in 2024. So my guess is he will be constrained from announcing until very late in the campaign, if at all. Then he will hope to make the leap back into the legal immunity of the Presidency.

The actions he brings against others are being dismissed, one by one. The actions against him are not, and more may be forthcoming.

An optimist would hope that the RNC may quietly be agreeing to do so in the hopes that they can move on from Trump the candidate and go forward with a candidate who isn’t interested in taking the ship down with him to preserve his ego.

casinterest

Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:32 pm

In case anyone needs it, here is a link to a site where someone spent the time to debunk all the ridiculous claims. All of which have long been debunked. It seems Trump's mental helath should really be checked.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... r-debunked

Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:18 am

Here is a link to the Jan 6 Committee subpoena. The inclusion of the explanatory letter is unusual, and may signify the expectation that Trump may not comply.

https://january6th.house.gov/sites/demo ... 0Trump.pdf

ER757

Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Here is a link to the Jan 6 Committee subpoena. The inclusion of the explanatory letter is unusual, and may signify the expectation that Trump may not comply.

https://january6th.house.gov/sites/demo ... 0Trump.pdf

I think there's zero chance he'll comply. He'll stall until after the new house members are sworn in figuring the republicans will re-take the majority and the committee will be disbanded.
This guy truly is the Teflon Don, nothing seems to stick. He should have long ago been behind bars for all the shenanigans he's pulled. How he hasn't been arrested and convicted for inciting a riot (at the very least) is beyond me.

Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:34 pm

In the John Eastman emails released by a judge to the Jan 6 committee, the strategy was to utilize Justice Thomas as leverage for disqualifying the slate of electors from Georgia and other states. They were confident he would recommend the case to the full court, and issue a stay for the submission of the slates.

In the actual event, that did not happen, Justice Thomas did not issue a stay and the Court declined to hear the case. But this shows the politicization of the Court, at least in the eyes of Trump attorneys.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/0 ... n-00064592

casinterest

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:10 pm

In the John Eastman emails released by a judge to the Jan 6 committee, the strategy was to utilize Justice Thomas as leverage for disqualifying the slate of electors from Georgia and other states. They were confident he would recommend the case to the full court, and issue a stay for the submission of the slates.

In the actual event, that did not happen, Justice Thomas did not issue a stay and the Court declined to hear the case. But this shows the politicization of the Court, at least in the eyes of Trump attorneys.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/0 ... n-00064592

And the whole motive was to hold up the re count in Georgia, so that they could further sew doubt.

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:31 pm

Will he or won't he? Trump's response to Jan 6 Committee subpoena is due today.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/04/11340974 ... ents-jan-6

skyservice_330

Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:27 pm

The brother of the dead Jan 6 insurrectionist - Ashli Babbitt - has been convicted on hate crime charges

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2022/ ... oint-loma/