Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Re: January 6 Committee public presentations and hearings

Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:28 pm

Trump has filed a lawsuit to block the Jan 6 Committee subpoena to testify and provide documents. So much for the claims of no representation before the committee, turns out he has no intention of representing himself.

In the lawsuit he makes the usual claims:

1. A former President cannot be compelled to testify to Congress, based on separation of powers, which Trump has an obligation to defend.

2. Trump has executive privilege for his actions as President, as well as personal rights and freedoms that are being infringed.

3. Trump attempted in good faith to provide the information the subpoena seeks, but the Committee insists on overreach and an appearance by Trump.

4. The subpoena is invalid for multiple reasons involving Congressional authority, intent and partisan abuse.

5. Congress has already drafted reform legislation for the Electoral Count Act, which Trump's testimony is meant to inform, via the subpoena.

Trump offers as exhibits his communications with the committee. He claims that he attempted to comply by conducting a good-faith search of his records for the sought materials, which revealed that no matching records exist. But the committee would not accept that result.

This would be funny in light of the Mar-a-Lago events, if it were not also so sad.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... 111122.pdf

luckyone

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:04 pm

Trump has filed a lawsuit to block the Jan 6 Committee subpoena to testify and provide documents. So much for the claims of no representation before the committee, turns out he has no intention of representing himself.

1. A former President cannot be compelled to testify to Congress, based on separation of powers, which Trump has an obligation to defend.

2. Trump has executive privilege for his actions as President, as well as personal rights and freedoms that are being infringed.

3. Trump attempted in good faith to provide the information the subpoena seeks, but the Committee insists on overreach and an appearance by Trump.

4. The subpoena is invalid for multiple reasons involving Congressional authority, intent and partisan abuse.

5. Congress has already drafted reform legislation for the Electoral Count Act, which Trump's testimony is meant to inform, via the subpoena.

Trump offers as exhibits his communications with the committee. He claims that he attempted to comply by conducting a good-faith search of his records for the sought materials, which revealed that no matching records exist. But the committee would not accept that result.

This would be funny in light of the Mar-a-Lago events, if it were not also so sad.

Sounds like Trump expects less GOP support in the House.

seb146

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:23 pm

I know it has been said before but it needs to be said again:

For someone who claims to be innocent, he sure is working very hard at not testifying under oath!

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:35 pm

In recent Jan 6 developments:

1. Mike Pence has "closed the door" on testifying before the committee, based on assertions of executive privilege, similar to those made by Trump. Which may signal his intent to run in 2024. If he were to testify, he would lose the MAGA base and be punished by them, as other Republicans have.

2. Trump has missed the second deadline for his subpoena, and so is now formally considered non-responsive. His lawsuit against the subpoena remains standing.

3. The committee took additional testimony from members of the Secret Service, regarding the communications and activities surrounding Trump on Jan 6.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/16/politics ... index.html

ltbewr
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 pm

1. Mike Pence has "closed the door" on testifying before the committee, based on assertions of executive privilege, similar to those made by Trump. Which may signal his intent to run in 2024. If he were to testify, he would lose the MAGA base and be punished by them, as other Republicans have.
2. Trump has missed the second deadline for his subpoena, and so is now formally considered non-responsive. His lawsuit against the subpoena remains standing.
3. The committee took additional testimony from members of the Secret Service, regarding the communications and activities surrounding Trump on Jan 6.

Sadly, it looks like the Jan 6 committee, which will close at the end of the year, will never get testimony from Trump, Pence and others. They will likely put out a final report that suggests Trump, others be prosecuted but with the Republicans taking control of the US House come January, Trump, et al. will get away for now for their crimes. I wouldn't be surprised with the Republicans in the new House session to go after those Democrats on the committee for their proper and necessary actions were protect the country instead they will face persecution to protect Trump and too many of them who supported directly or indirectly the terror attack on the Capitol that fateful day. With USAG appointing a Special Counsel to take over the investigations of the secret documents and actions on 1/6 of Trump due to his announcement of running for the R's nomination for President in 2024, it appears that justice will never be done on those issues. The only real result will be a public record of Trump's seditious and obscene acts. As I have suggested before, It may be the NY State AG with her current civil litigation and with the NY-Manhattan prosecutor, that may be the only ones who will 'get' to Trump and make him face some punishment.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:33 pm

The Jan 6 committee is pretty much a done deal, I don't think they have any more meetings planned there are no plans to press charges as the entire case is based on hearsay and circumstantial testimony.

Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:35 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
The Jan 6 committee is pretty much a done deal, I don't think they have any more meetings planned there are no plans to press charges as the entire case is based on hearsay and circumstantial testimony.

The goal was never to press charges, just to establish the factual record surrounding those events. Which they did very well. I look forward to the final report.

Charges are the responsibility of the DoJ, who just appointed a special counsel, since Trump announced his candidacy for 2024. The verdict is still out over whether he will be charged.

To be honest, I think the hearings had the effect of turning the Republicans away from Trump as a candidate. His announcement kind of fizzled. I think everyone has had enough. There are other candidates who come without the drama.

seb146

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:08 am

ltbewr wrote:

Sadly, it looks like the Jan 6 committee, which will close at the end of the year, will never get testimony from Trump, Pence and others. They will likely put out a final report that suggests Trump, others be prosecuted but with the Republicans taking control of the US House come January, Trump, et al. will get away for now for their crimes. I wouldn't be surprised with the Republicans in the new House session to go after those Democrats on the committee for their proper and necessary actions were protect the country instead they will face persecution to protect Trump and too many of them who supported directly or indirectly the terror attack on the Capitol that fateful day. With USAG appointing a Special Counsel to take over the investigations of the secret documents and actions on 1/6 of Trump due to his announcement of running for the R's nomination for President in 2024, it appears that justice will never be done on those issues. The only real result will be a public record of Trump's seditious and obscene acts. As I have suggested before, It may be the NY State AG with her current civil litigation and with the NY-Manhattan prosecutor, that may be the only ones who will 'get' to Trump and make him face some punishment.

Republican leadership has already said the way they will help the American people lower costs and shore up the economy is to impeach Joe Biden every chance they get and have endless investigations into Hunter Biden as well.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:41 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

I’ve had it up to here with denialism and selective memory. Since the reactions online from MAGA world are universal today: ‘you have no evidence, Trump
didn’t incite and never should have been banned’ etc, it’s time to revisit what was said that day, including the incendiary shit he deleted:

https://twitter.com/replizcheney/status ... xi8Wmc8dew

hh65man

Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

I’ve had it up to here with denialism and selective memory. Since the reactions online from MAGA world are universal today: ‘you have no evidence, Trump
didn’t incite and never should have been banned’ etc, it’s time to revisit what was said that day, including the incendiary shit he deleted:

Have you lost your marbles? It would have been awesome if the DOJ would have announced charges the same day the mutant Cheeto made his announcement. ….. but then, now I’ve lost my marbles. Sadly I’ve lost any faith in that happening. Almost seems to be a case of being afraid of what goes around comes around.

casinterest

Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:07 pm

hh65man wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Have you lost your marbles? It would have been awesome if the DOJ would have announced charges the same day the mutant Cheeto made his announcement. ….. but then, now I’ve lost my marbles. Sadly I’ve lost any faith in that happening. Almost seems to be a case of being afraid of what goes around comes around.

People are forgetting what the Jan 6 committee was established to do.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... lution/503

Shown Here:
Passed House (06/30/2021)
This resolution establishes in the House of Representatives the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol.

The select committee must (1) conduct an investigation of the relevant facts and circumstances relating to the attack on the Capitol; (2) identify, review, and evaluate the causes of and the lessons learned from this attack; and (3) submit a report containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations to prevent future acts of violence, domestic terrorism, and domestic violent extremism, and to improve the security of the U.S. Capitol Complex and other American democratic institutions.

The select committee consists of 13 Members of the House appointed by the Speaker; 5 must be appointed after consultation with the minority leader. The resolution gives the select committee specified powers, including the authority to hold hearings, receive evidence, and issue subpoenas. It also requires other House committees to share relevant records with the select committee within 14 days of the resolution's adoption or receipt of such records.

The committee owes a final report, and once that is released. The DOJ and others can decide to what to do. We all know that the 190 republicans that voted against the committee have no honor in invetigating their own members that were part of the corruption and collusion of trying to steal an election. They also dont't want to investigate the president that put their lives at risk.

Make no mistake. History will not treat any of those dishonorable members well.
Especially as they try to attack those committed to finding the truth out.

There is no honor whatsoever in people that call the Jan 6 investigation partisan. The only thing partisan about it was wanting to understand why out laws and election were attacked with no proof. If that is partisanship, then no one should want to be a member of the other group of cult worshipping liars .

Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:26 pm

hh65man wrote:

No need to lose hope. The DoJ is not like Trump, flying off the handle and then losing badly in court. They are building very methodical cases, to ensure they will win in court, if it comes to that.

As we see in the Mar-a-Lago case, the DoJ is the A Team. The only thing Trump has going for him is a sympathetic judge, and her ruling likely will not survive appeal. Even the Special Master, whom Trump insisted upon, is routinely ruling against him.

So this is far from over, but it won't be a spectacular public fireworks show that quickly fizzles out, in the traditional Trump style. It will be quiet proceedings in court, that may even end in some sort of settlement or deferred prosecution agreement. The DoJ knows what it's doing, and is playing the long game.

casinterest

Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:32 pm

hh65man wrote:

No need to lose hope. The DoJ is not like Trump, flying off the handle and then losing badly in court. They are building very methodical cases, to ensure they will win in court, if it comes to that.

As we see in the Mar-a-Lago case, the DoJ is the A Team. The only thing Trump has going for him is a sympathetic judge, and her ruling likely will not survive appeal. Even the Special Master, whom Trump insisted upon, is routinely ruling against him.

So this is far from over, but it won't be a spectacular public fireworks show that quickly fizzles out, in the traditional Trump style. It will be quiet proceedings in court, that may even end in some sort of settlement or deferred prosecution agreement. The DoJ knows what it's doing, and is playing the long game.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/january-6- ... he-nation/

In an interview with "Face the Nation," Lofgren stressed that the House select committee is conducting its own investigation and not sharing information with the Justice Department. But, with the committee set to dissolve at the end of this Congress, the California Democrat said the panel will make public all evidence it assembled along with a report of its findings.

"Within a month, the public will have everything that we've found, all the evidence. For good or ill," Lofgren told "Face the Nation." "And I think we've, as we've shown in our hearings, made a compelling presentation that the former president was at the center of the effort to overturn a duly elected election, assembled the mob, sent it over to Congress to try and interfere with the peaceful transfer of power. It's pretty shocking."

The committee will make a point of embarrassing a whole bunch of dishonorable liars within the GOP ranks.

Can't wait to see the final report. Perhaps the DOJ will get the evidence it needs to prosecute those responsible.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:37 am

Mark Meadows has been compelled to testify in the Georgia investigation of Trump attempts to overturn the electoral college, related to Jan 6 testimony.

Thus far, none of Trump's associates has been successful in avoiding the subpoenas issued by the Georgia grand jury. All have claimed executive privilege in some form.

Meadows did successfully avoid testifying to the Jan 6 Committee, after initially cooperating by turning over text messages.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/2 ... n-00071232

Reinhardt

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:13 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

How is hearsay first person, in person, at the time of the events witness testimony? No doubt some of it in a court of law would be declared hearsay i.e I heard xyz saying xyz. But being a location directly saying what happened, what somebody said to you on a phone call is not. Plenty of it / enough of it was the later.

As others have said I imagine they'll release a report that makes clear recommendations of what should happen next, but it has no powers to ensure that happens. That's down to others.

Either way, the hearings are entirely damming and tell us everything we need to know about that day.

luckyone

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:20 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

How is hearsay first person, in person, at the time of the events witness testimony? No doubt some of it in a court of law would be declared hearsay i.e I heard xyz saying xyz. But being a location directly saying what happened, what somebody said to you on a phone call is not. Plenty of it / enough of it was the later.

As others have said I imagine they'll release a report that makes clear recommendations of what should happen next, but it has no powers to ensure that happens. That's down to others.

Either way, the hearings are entirely damming and tell us everything we need to know about that day.

The talking heads in right wing programming know that they don't have to accurately use the word. All they have to do is use the word "hearsay," and it sticks.

seb146

Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:13 pm

luckyone wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

The talking heads in right wing programming know that they don't have to accurately use the word. All they have to do is use the word "hearsay," and it sticks.

Ah, yes... Republicans' other favorite phrase to get them out of any situation: I know a guy... They use "I know a guy..." or "my friend said..." or "my neighbor saw..." so they can say whatever without citation because who is going to question that closely related story? Reagan did this. This is where the "woman in an Escalade at the welfare office" came from, I believe.

seb146

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:09 pm

I forgot there are two threads about January 6. This post should be here and not the other one:

Presumptive House Majority Leader, Kevin McCarthy, sent a letter to the January 6 committee insisting they preserve all records and transcripts related to the investigation

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/30/politics ... index.html
https://www.politico.com/minutes/congre ... panel-ask/
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mccart ... e-takeover

He still has not officially been chosen as Majority Leader and he also ignored a subpoena by the committee. Chair head Bennie Thompson already said he would preserve all records and release what they could to the general public. Presumably, McCarthy wants all records preserved so he can "debunk" every word and "prove" this was a witch hunt. That what the world saw on January 6, 2021 never happened.

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:40 pm

The Republican strategy will be to review the testimony for potentially false or inaccurate statements. They only need to find one or two. Then they will proclaim that the entire presentation is false, and their base will believe it. Many of them already do.

We've seen this in their playbook before, so it's nothing new. McCarthy threatened to pursue charges against anyone caught lying, so you already know they will "catch" someone. No matter how contrived it is.

The thing is, the DoJ has evidence to pursue from the hearings, whereas they'll have no meaningful evidence from the Republicans. As we've seen before from the Mueller vs Durham investigations.

casinterest

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:13 pm

The Republican strategy will be to review the testimony for potentially false or inaccurate statements. They only need to find one or two. Then they will proclaim that the entire presentation is false, and their base will believe it. Many of them already do.

We've seen this in their playbook before, so it's nothing new. McCarthy threatened to pursue charges against anyone caught lying, so you already know they will "catch" someone. No matter how contrived it is.

The thing is, the DoJ has evidence to pursue from the hearings, whereas they'll have no meaningful evidence from the Republicans. As we've seen before from the Mueller vs Durham investigations.

The GOP is setting themselves up to fail with Kevin McCarthy as speaker and Jim Jordan leading the judiciary. McCarthy and Jordan are products and consumers of Right Wing media. Jordan's district is extremely crooked in it's borders. As is McCarthy. They stay away from cities, and they don't understand functional government.

If McCarthy was of any interest in lying, he would have already put himself, Jordan, meadows,Trump, and a host of others in prison.

The rest of America knows the fix is in with McCarthy and Jim Jordan. However I am sure Fox news and the people too addicted to right wing media will be all in for it.

luckyone

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:14 pm

casinterest wrote:

The GOP is setting themselves up to fail with Kevin McCarthy as speaker and Jim Jordan leading the judiciary. McCarthy and Jordan are products and consumers of Right Wing media. Jordan's district is extremely crooked in it's borders. As is McCarthy. They stay away from cities, and they don't understand functional government.

If McCarthy was of any interest in lying, he would have already put himself, Jordan, meadows,Trump, and a host of others in prison.

The rest of America knows the fix is in with McCarthy and Jim Jordan. However I am sure Fox news and the people too addicted to right wing media will be all in for it.

I'm not too worried about it. McCarthy has several times over demonstrated to be gaffe prone, and tends to look before he leaps. He will not be an effective speaker, assuming he wins.

casinterest

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:18 pm

luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I'm not too worried about it. McCarthy has several times over demonstrated to be gaffe prone, and tends to look before he leaps. He will not be an effective speaker, assuming he wins.

This whole episode is a gaffe. The dishonorable minority leader decided not to participate in the Jan 6 committee from the start, and now wants to check their work? He is like the sloppy Drunk that comes into work and wants to blame everyone for getting the job done.

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:46 pm

The other danger for the Republicans here, is that they plan on resurrecting their case to blame the Capitol police for the Jan 6 riot. I don't think that will go over very well, with all the video evidence presented of police officers being assaulted and chased.

And that Democrats interfered with security that Trump tried to provide. I'm sure that will come up again as well.

Those narratives were one of the more abhorrent stories concocted by Fox News. Yet were readily swallowed by the MAGA base. For that reason, I hope Dominion takes Fox to the cleaners on their other lies.

luckyone

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:15 pm

The other danger for the Republicans here, is that they plan on resurrecting their case to blame the Capitol police for the Jan 6 riot. I don't think that will go over very well, with all the video evidence presented of police officers being assaulted and chased.

And that Democrats interfered with security that Trump tried to provide. I'm sure that will come up again as well.

Those narratives were one of the more abhorrent stories concocted by Fox News. Yet were readily swallowed by the MAGA base. For that reason, I hope Dominion takes Fox to the cleaners on their other lies.

Wouldn't that be brilliant, the anti-Defund-the-Police crowd going after the police. The Chicago Police Department is showing what happens when leaders directly attack them. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... d/2586147/

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:48 pm

luckyone wrote:
Wouldn't that be brilliant, the anti-Defund-the-Police crowd going after the police. The Chicago Police Department is showing what happens when leaders directly attack them. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... d/2586147/

In fairness, the Chicago police union chief John Catanzara, is in a long-standing feud with Mayor Lightfoot. He told her not to go to the hospital to express concern and condolences for the injured and slain officers, that she wouldn't be welcome there.

But to her credit, she went anyway. Some of the officers turned their back on her, but many spoke to her and behaved civilly. Her battle is mostly with the union leadership, not the rank and file.

Much of the animosity stems from the COVID vaccination policy, which mirrored what went on in the US Armed forces. The majority had no issue with being vaccinated, but some refused and after extended arbitration, were dismissed.

Catanzara will likely run against Lightfoot for Mayor next year, but he isn't that well liked outside the ranks of the union. It will be an interesting race.

luckyone

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:44 pm

luckyone wrote:

In fairness, the Chicago police union chief John Catanzara, is in a long-standing feud with Mayor Lightfoot. He told her not to go to the hospital to express concern and condolences for the injured and slain officers, that she wouldn't be welcome there.

But to her credit, she went anyway. Some of the officers turned their back on her, but many spoke to her and behaved civilly. Her battle is mostly with the union leadership, not the rank and file.

Much of the animosity stems from the COVID vaccination policy, which mirrored what went on in the US Armed forces. The majority had no issue with being vaccinated, but some refused and after extended arbitration, were dismissed.

Catanzara will likely run against Lightfoot for Mayor next year, but he isn't that well liked outside the ranks of the union. It will be an interesting race.

Rahm v Karen Lewis 2.0. Lovely.

casinterest

Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:31 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/06/politics ... index.html

The House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol has decided to make criminal referrals to the Department of Justice, the panel’s chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson, told reporters Tuesday.

Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat, said the committee has not narrowed down the universe of individuals who may be referred.

Asked whether Thompson believed any witnesses perjured themselves, he said, “that’s part of the discussion.”

This is gonna be a great Christmas gift.

Espescially with Rudy twisting in the wind on his disbarment proceedings.

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:07 am

The Jan 6 committee has proposed December 21 as the release date for their report. There may be a final hearing as well. I hope they do have a presentation, it would be a fitting end in light of the special counsel and other aspects of the ongoing criminal investigation.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/07/11414758 ... =18&f=1001

Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:10 am

Monday at 1 pm ET, the Jan 6 committee will hold its final public hearing, and will release its report to the public. They also will refer criminal charges related to the Capitol riot, actions against members of Congress who refused to cooperate with the investigation, and legislative changes to prevent a repeat of interference with certifying the presidential vote.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/w ... mpted-coup

ltbewr
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:36 pm

I hope the Jan 6 Committee report also recommends changes in policy by law or rule as to the chain of command as to who can call for military assistance if a major attack on the Capitol again, and not just in the President as well to prevent political interference in preparing for large protests in the future.
Deeper I would love to see an end to the Electoral College and the President wins with the most number of votes of the whole country, not overridden by a few states. Of course that will never happen as would require a Constitutional Amendment.
I also hope the recommendations for criminal charges on Trump and many others are acted on but I am afraid the Republicans when they take control of the US House in January will prevent it with pressure and harassment on the DOJ, investigations of Hunter Biden and Democrats who supported the committee. It will get very ugly.

casinterest

Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:14 pm

Here is the live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZsiafsv4I

Hope that Jim Jordan gets contempt charges. it will help set the tone for the mockery the GOP shows towards justice by putting him in charge of the committee in January.

casinterest

Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:20 pm

casinterest wrote:
Here is the live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZsiafsv4I

Hope that Jim Jordan gets contempt charges. it will help set the tone for the mockery the GOP shows towards justice by putting him in charge of the committee in January.

For those that get a chance, please watch that meeting. It was worth it for the hour it took place.

The committee has made official recommendations to the DOJ to pursue the following Charges against trump and his co conspirators in the following charges.

Obstruction of an Official Proceeding
Conspiracy to Defraud the United States
Conspiracy To Make a False Statement
"Incite" "Assist" or "Aid or Comfort" an Insurrection

It will be interesting to see what comes of this as the DOJ moves forward.

//edit, the executive summary is below.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/19/politics ... estigation

CNN's take on what is in it.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/19/politics ... index.html

N14AZ

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:07 pm

Wow, so what will happen now?

luckyone

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:14 pm

N14AZ wrote:

Probably not much. It will be referred over to the DOJ which has a much higher burden. Congress had the luxury of only have to have things fail the smell test. This situation is like defining pornography — we all know it when we see it but trying to pin it down is a challenge. We all know what role Trump played in making Jan 6 happen. But shy of an email or a phone call, he can (and will) feign ignorance about the whole thing and very little can stick in a court of law, even if morally and sensibly it’s all on his hands.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:21 pm

N14AZ wrote:

It's up to the DoJ special counsel to decide what charges will be brought. They will spend some time reviewing the ton of material in this report.

What was interesting was the referral of several prominent Congress people to the Ethics Committee for censure. One of them is the incoming chairman of the Judiciary Committee, which is another unprecedented event.

Congress will become Texas, where the AG is under several criminal investigations. It's no coincidence that he too is dodging subpoenas issued by his own organization. Lol!!

Crazy stuff. The Republicans will block censure of their members in any case, but at least it will be in the official records.

casinterest

Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:13 pm

N14AZ wrote:

It's up to the DoJ special counsel to decide what charges will be brought. They will spend some time reviewing the ton of material in this report.

What was interesting was the referral of several prominent Congress people to the Ethics Committee for censure. One of them is the incoming chairman of the Judiciary Committee, which is another unprecedented event.

Congress will become Texas, where the AG is under several criminal investigations. It's no coincidence that he too is dodging subpoenas issued by his own organization. Lol!!

Crazy stuff. The Republicans will block censure of their members in any case, but at least it will be in the official records.

I think the DOJ will move forward with charges.
The false electors and the lies that were put forth are too much to look past. The whole point of the Jan 6 stop the steal was based on lies rather than any factual evidence. The fact that Trump and his staff formulated plans with Congress and Pence to halt the official election based on those lies is easy to prove when you have investigative starting points.

The DOJ can add to it's evidence all the evidence Congress has collected. It should be noted that in an attack on the Congressional Institution, the GOP leaders McCarthy and McConnell both failed to provide any investigative resources to the panels.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:40 pm

Yeah, I agree they will have to take some action. They have a ton of evidence, but they will only charge Trump with things they are confident of winning. They will take their time and build a very solid case.

They are likely to charge him also on the classified documents stuff. So well have to see what will win out, or if both do.

casinterest

Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:31 pm

Yeah, I agree they will have to take some action. They have a ton of evidence, but they will only charge Trump with things they are confident of winning. They will take their time and build a very solid case.

They are likely to charge him also on the classified documents stuff. So well have to see what will win out, or if both do.

I think we will see charges rather soon. There is a reason that there is a special council.

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:01 pm

Interesting that the non-MAGA members of the Republican party are standing aside on the Jan 6 Trump referral of charges. The report will have been effective and worthwhile if it achieves that.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/378 ... l-charges/

casinterest

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Interesting that the non-MAGA members of the Republican party are standing aside on the Jan 6 Trump referral of charges. The report will have been effective and worthwhile if it achieves that.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/378 ... l-charges/

The Senate Republicans ,especially under McConnell, are working hard to salvage what they consider to be important to their goals as a party. They sit there and acknowledge that the Jan 6 commission did good work, interviewed the right people, and got the right information for the public record, but they continue to play partisan games, when they couldn't bring themselves to honor American with their own investigation. It reaks of incompetance and politcal games that McConnell has played over the years.

McConnell know very well that Trump is guilty as hell, but he doesn't care about the USA more than he cares about his legacy with the GOP. Most of the GOP Senate acknowledges this, but their voters aren't the best at disecting fraud from fact so they have to play the game.

Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:28 pm

casinterest wrote:

The Senate Republicans ,especially under McConnell, are working hard to salvage what they consider to be important to their goals as a party. They sit there and acknowledge that the Jan 6 commission did good work, interviewed the right people, and got the right information for the public record, but they continue to play partisan games, when they couldn't bring themselves to honor American with their own investigation. It reaks of incompetance and politcal games that McConnell has played over the years.

McConnell know very well that Trump is guilty as hell, but he doesn't care about the USA more than he cares about his legacy with the GOP. Most of the GOP Senate acknowledges this, but their voters aren't the best at disecting fraud from fact so they have to play the game.

Yeah, the Republicans are still going to claim partisanship no matter what, which is in itself a false allegation. But this is at least a victory against Trump. They all have blood on their hands for supporting Trump for such a long time, but they can never admit it openly.

Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:19 pm

Some interesting revelations from the Jan 6 Committee Executive Summary:

1. Trump & his inner circle believed that the Capitol riot had strengthened their position for overturning the election, and continued to press for it afterwards, even though there was no legal recourse remaining.

2. John Eastman had concocted the Jan 6 plan, but had acknowledged beforehand that it wasn't legal, and further that the fraud claims were false. Pence's attorney Greg Jacob e-mailed Eastman while under siege in the Capitol, and asked him, did you advise Trump that his claims are false and illegal, as we agreed? Eastman responded that he had, but Trump wouldn't listen. Eastman contends that he only did what was asked by Trump. But continued to do so during and after the riot.

3. Trump raised almost $250M in December 2020 solicitations, based on the false allegations of election fraud.

4. Jeffrey Clark's reasoning for DoJ interfering in the election, was that it had already been tampered with by fraud, so the DoJ was only righting the ship. That is McCarthyism in the flesh. The other side has cheated, so that justifies whatever I might do. Raise the false fear, and then use it to conduct the same behavior yourself. Incredible. No wonder the DoJ staff threatened to resign.

5. The slates of false electors were told that their ballots would only be utilized if Trump prevailed in court, and would thus have a legal basis. But in fact they were used despite Trump losing every lawsuit.

6. In Wisconsin, the Trump campaign chartered a flight to deliver the false electoral ballots on Jan 6. They were personally delivered to Pence by Wisconsin GOP members Ron Johnson and Mike Kelly. However Pence refused to accept the delivery.

Still reading so more likely to come.

casinterest

Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:09 am

Some interesting revelations from the Jan 6 Committee Executive Summary:

1. Trump & his inner circle believed that the Capitol riot had strengthened their position for overturning the election, and continued to press for it afterwards, even though there was no legal recourse remaining.

2. John Eastman had concocted the Jan 6 plan, but had acknowledged beforehand that it wasn't legal, and further that the fraud claims were false. Pence's attorney Greg Jacob e-mailed Eastman while under siege in the Capitol, and asked him, did you advise Trump that his claims are false and illegal, as we agreed? Eastman responded that he had, but Trump wouldn't listen. Eastman contends that he only did what was asked by Trump. But continued to do so during and after the riot.

3. Trump raised almost $250M in December 2020 solicitations, based on the false allegations of election fraud.

4. Jeffrey Clark's reasoning for DoJ interfering in the election, was that it had already been tampered with by fraud, so the DoJ was only righting the ship. That is McCarthyism in the flesh. The other side has cheated, so that justifies whatever I might do. Raise the false fear, and then use it to conduct the same behavior yourself. Incredible. No wonder the DoJ staff threatened to resign.

5. The slates of false electors were told that their ballots would only be utilized if Trump prevailed in court, and would thus have a legal basis. But in fact they were used despite Trump losing every lawsuit.

6. In Wisconsin, the Trump campaign chartered a flight to deliver the false electoral ballots on Jan 6. They were personally delivered to Pence by Wisconsin GOP members Ron Johnson and Mike Kelly. However Pence refused to accept the delivery.

Still reading so more likely to come.

7. A White House ethics attorney tried to coerce Hutchinson to mislead the panel

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/20/politics ... index.html

Though the committee declined to identify the people, CNN has learned that Stefan Passantino, the top ethics attorney in the Trump White House, is the lawyer who allegedly advised his then-client, former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson, to tell the committee that she did not recall details that she did, sources familiar with the committee’s work tell CNN.

This will not go over well with the bar or the DOJ.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:35 am

casinterest wrote:

7. A White House ethics attorney tried to coerce Hutchinson to mislead the panel

Though the committee declined to identify the people, CNN has learned that Stefan Passantino, the top ethics attorney in the Trump White House, is the lawyer who allegedly advised his then-client, former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson, to tell the committee that she did not recall details that she did, sources familiar with the committee’s work tell CNN.

Wow, it would be awesome if he rolls on Trump. Typical mafioso boss.

8. Trump senior advisors were active on the web site "thedonald.win" in the month after the election. This is the site on which much of the coordination and planning for Jan 6 took place. On December 30, Jason Miller was forwarding links to Mark Meadows, with comments including the need for gallows & body bags for the filthy commies. Miller bragged "I got the base FIRED UP!"

9. In meetings with Trump on Jan 5th and 6th, prior to his Ellipse speech, he was effusive about how fired up and angry the crowd was. He brought it up again and again, and wanted the office doors open so he could hear the crowd.

The committee has really debunked the notion that Trump did not know what was going to happen. In fact he wanted to stoke it and lead it.

casinterest

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:01 pm

casinterest wrote:

8. Trump senior advisors were active on the web site "thedonald.win" in the month after the election. This is the site on which much of the coordination and planning for Jan 6 took place. On December 30, Jason Miller was forwarding links to Mark Meadows, with comments including the need for gallows & body bags for the filthy commies. Miller bragged "I got the base FIRED UP!"

9. In meetings with Trump on Jan 5th and 6th, prior to his Ellipse speech, he was effusive about how fired up and angry the crowd was. He brought it up again and again, and wanted the office doors open so he could hear the crowd.

The committee has really debunked the notion that Trump did not know what was going to happen. In fact he wanted to stoke it and lead it.

Trump is very upset already.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-r ... d=95323334

I have to wonder how all the Trump supporters are doing? The man that has been called a liar , fraud , and many worse things over the last 6 years has always had his defenders. Yet silence seems to be the key now? Very wierd.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:56 pm

casinterest wrote:

I have to wonder how all the Trump supporters are doing? The man that has been called a liar , fraud , and many worse things over the last 6 years has always had his defenders. Yet silence seems to be the key now? Very wierd.

As I've posted excerpts of the report online, I've gotten some pretty agitated pushback. A lot of MAGA's are still in denial. Claiming that questions about fraud were never answered, and that Pelosi allowed the riot to take place by not calling in the National Guard, which Trump had earlier called into reserve positions.

In Congress, I think they have the sense that Trump is going to be charged, and that is the one thing they don't want to be associated with. It's why so many of them requested pardons before he left office.

The really odd thing is that if the MAGA's were ever to wake up, the whole house of cards would collapse. That's what happened to McCarthy in that era. I'm still hopeful that can happen here as well.

In the McCarthy era, his collapse did not mean the collapse of the Republican party, it just flushed out his supporters. So not sure why Republicans are afraid of this.

casinterest

Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:32 pm

casinterest wrote:

As I've posted excerpts of the report online, I've gotten some pretty agitated pushback. A lot of MAGA's are still in denial. Claiming that questions about fraud were never answered, and that Pelosi allowed the riot to take place by not calling in the National Guard, which Trump had earlier called into reserve positions.

In Congress, I think they have the sense that Trump is going to be charged, and that is the one thing they don't want to be associated with. It's why so many of them requested pardons before he left office.

The really odd thing is that if the MAGA's were ever to wake up, the whole house of cards would collapse. That's what happened to McCarthy in that era. I'm still hopeful that can happen here as well.

In the McCarthy era, his collapse did not mean the collapse of the Republican party, it just flushed out his supporters. So not sure why Republicans are afraid of this.

The stuff about Pelosi ignores that it was Trump's job. Those level of trolls will never be convinced. However I think the folks that latched onto Trump as a convienient Trojan Horse for elections are really looking hard for another horse to ride on. Trump is the opposite of what America needs, but you can't tell that to Evangelicals hell bent on sending everyone down a path of misery.

The issue with Desantis and Pence, who they want ot back, is that they have no Charisma at all. Evangelicals thrive on charisma, and when it isn't there, the Message is destroyed. Mostly because the message can't be backed up with any real decent facts.

Let's look at the effects of the Tax Cuts of 2017. You know why the GOP keeps striking at inflation rathet than the deficit? That deficit is tcaused by the failure of their Tax Cut to pay for itsef.

The GOP as a party is losing members to death and intelligence, and right now the GOP is trying hard to lie to everyone rather than work back to their economical strengths.

BN747

Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
casinterest wrote:

there is nothing weird about it...it's a case of sheer embarrassment.

Just like the Virginia Beach christian school dean busted this week for holding tons of child porn - embarrassed.

This is a similar embarrassment where people run from their earlier fervor only to find it was built on pure lies - many relationships destroyed, even right here on A.net.
All those members cheering this scoundrel on..trying to get many to come to their way of approving this nakedly fraud of a human being.

A thread of strong Trump supporters needs to be compiled for 'A.net history sake'.

It's weirdness is because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to here and explain themselves - they never will.

That's not weird ..it's lack of their own faith in their own beliefs which they wish never happened.

BN747

skyservice_330

Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:47 pm

BN747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Just like the Virginia Beach christian school dean busted this week for holding tons of child porn - embarrassed.

This is a similar embarrassment where people run from their earlier fervor only to find it was built on pure lies - many relationships destroyed, even right here on A.net.
All those members cheering this scoundrel on..trying to get many to come to their way of approving this nakedly fraud of a human being.

A thread of strong Trump supporters needs to be compiled for 'A.net history sake'.

It's weirdness is because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to here and explain themselves - they never will.

That's not weird ..it's lack of their own faith in their own beliefs which they wish never happened.

BN747

I tend to generally agree with your assessment. It is now abundantly clear that the emperor has no clothes and you have a huge group of people who invested time, money and energy into supporting him. They now have egg on their face as it is clear they were taken for a ride and the house of cards is crumbling. They were used as useful rubes and pawns for Trumps personal gain. I can only imagine the embarrassment one must feel when reality slaps you upside the the face like this and you realize you have been taken for a ride the last few years ... especially when all along people were telling you it was so, and you passionately rejected the idea that your guy was a empty suit snake oil salesmen.

I suspect there will be a split - those that double down and support Trump despite all the evidence that he is not deserving of support. And those that will sheepishly, quietly, back away with their head lowered in embarrassment - but will still struggle to admit they were used and taken for a ride.

casinterest

Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:10 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

BN747

I tend to generally agree with your assessment. It is now abundantly clear that the emperor has no clothes and you have a huge group of people who invested time, money and energy into supporting him. They now have egg on their face as it is clear they were taken for a ride and the house of cards is crumbling. They were used as useful rubes and pawns for Trumps personal gain. I can only imagine the embarrassment one must feel when reality slaps you upside the the face like this and you realize you have been taken for a ride the last few years ... especially when all along people were telling you it was so, and you passionately rejected the idea that your guy was a empty suit snake oil salesmen.

I suspect there will be a split - those that double down and support Trump despite all the evidence that he is not deserving of support. And those that will sheepishly, quietly, back away with their head lowered in embarrassment - but will still struggle to admit they were used and taken for a ride.

I just have to wonder how many people will realize that their support of Trump was built on lies, and the lies of the party.

Will they remember that this is indeed who they are?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

― George Orwell, 1984

Will they go forward with new self awareness that the lies they fell for for over 6 years were just an extension of lies and mistruths they have been told for decades?
Will they run from their right wing news sources and sites?
Will they just hold on hope that maybe they just heard it all wrong and saw it all wrong?

I have been stunned by the willful ignorance for 7 years now. I don't expect it to end soon .