Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SoCalPilot
Topic Author

Joe Biden is currently one of the least popular Presidents in US history, moreso than Trump

Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:40 pm

...according to polling date from FiveThirtyEight.

Since the US began keeping track of presidential approval ratings, only one president has had a lower approval rating at day 510 in their presidency: Gerald Ford, by a mere 4 tenths of a percentage point. And unless Biden's approval rating magically trends upwards, he will be the least popular president in history (when it comes to current approval ratings).

Yes, even Trump was more popular at this point in his presidency, by a full 2 percentage points.

Past approval ratings at day 510 of presidency:
  • Joe Biden - 39.7%
  • Donald Trump - 41.8%
  • Barack Obama - 47.6%
  • George W. Bush - 71.2%
  • Bill Clinton - 50.1%
  • George H.W. Bush - 67.9%
  • Ronald Reagan - 45.0%
  • Jimmy Carter - 44.0%
  • Gerald Ford - 39.3%
  • Richard Nixon - 59.0%
  • Lyndon Johnson - 67.1%
  • John F. Kennedy - 70.9%
  • Dwight Eisenhower - 61.5%
  • Harry Truman - 43.1%

In a weird way, Joe Biden being elected could possibly be the best thing to ever happen to the Republican Party.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/

NIKV69

Re: Joe Biden is currently one of the least popular Presidents in US history, moreso than Trump

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:04 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

In a weird way, Joe Biden being elected could possibly be the best thing to ever happen to the Republican Party.

Already is. The AOC faction of the party has destroyed it with the progressive garbage and now the economy is tethering on being destroyed for a very long time. Worse than Carter. I know the Dems will recite it's Putin and Trump's fault but sane people in this country know otherwise and will speak loudly both this November and in 2024. I can't wait.

Newark727

Re: Joe Biden is currently one of the least popular Presidents in US history, moreso than Trump

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:25 pm

This thread feels like the political equivalent of "my dad could beat up your dad."

ACDC8

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:37 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Already is. The AOC faction of the party has destroyed it with the progressive garbage and now the economy is tethering on being destroyed for a very long time. Worse than Carter. I know the Dems will recite it's Putin and Trump's fault but sane people in this country know otherwise and will speak loudly both this November and in 2024. I can't wait.

Sane people understand that the current economic situation is a global issue shared by many countries and yes, Putin's war is a factor. But of course, that war would never have happened if Trump was still in office, or so he claims. But then again, Trump claims many things. I often wonder what ever happened to that "evidence" he kept going on about in regards to Obama's birth certificate, he kept saying it will be "revealed in a couple of weeks". Still waiting.

Your comment about AOC, I'll give you that - people like her pushed the Dems far too left but at the same time, people like MTG are pushing the Republicans way too far to the right.

Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:50 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

Since the US began keeping track of presidential approval ratings, only one president has had a lower approval rating at day 510 in their presidency: Gerald Ford, by a mere 4 tenths of a percentage point. And unless Biden's approval rating magically trends upwards, he will be the least popular president in history (when it comes to current approval ratings).

Yes, even Trump was more popular at this point in his presidency, by a full 2 percentage points.

• Joe Biden - 39.7%
  • Donald Trump - 41.8%
  • Barack Obama - 47.6%
  • George W. Bush - 71.2%
  • Bill Clinton - 50.1%
  • Ronald Reagan - 45.0%
  • Jimmy Carter - 44.0%
  • Gerald Ford - 39.3%
  • Richard Nixon - 59.0%
  • Lyndon Johnson - 67.1%
  • Harry Truman - 43.1%

If you scroll down a bit on FiveThirtyEight, the poll data are displayed, and it's clear there is an outlier of the Qinniapac poll at 35%. The average without that is above 40%, as is the average if you include additional polls.

Biden is being blamed for a lot of things, which goes with the territory of being President. He inherited the COVID crisis and Russian aggression in Ukraine, as well as the inflation that has come with the manifested shortages. The Afghanistan withdrawal was his own doing.

Kent350787

Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:08 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

• Joe Biden - 39.7%
  • Donald Trump - 41.8%
  • Barack Obama - 47.6%
  • George W. Bush - 71.2%
  • Bill Clinton - 50.1%
  • Ronald Reagan - 45.0%
  • Jimmy Carter - 44.0%
  • Gerald Ford - 39.3%
  • Richard Nixon - 59.0%
  • Lyndon Johnson - 67.1%
  • Harry Truman - 43.1%

If you scroll down a bit on FiveThirtyEight, the poll data are displayed, and it's clear there is an outlier of the Qinniapac poll at 35%. The average without that is above 40%, as is the average if you include additional polls.

Biden is being blamed for a lot of things, which goes with the territory of being President. He inherited the COVID crisis and Russian aggression in Ukraine, as well as the inflation that has come with the manifested shortages. The Afghanistan withdrawal was his own doing.

This day 510 rating is not at all good for Biden, and hopefully there are other turnout issues that will impact the mid-terms. He still has a long way to go for his average ratings to get anywhere near as bad as the immediate past President, who climbed to around 40% approval at day 510 and rarely got much higher across his full term.

Mods - can the title be corrected to "Joe Biden low approval rating on day 510". There is no evidence that he is one of the "least popular Presisnts" on much more than this day of his term.

luckyone

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:35 am

Who pays attention to polls anymore? I mean aren’t they just completely unreliable…isn’t that the line we kept hearing in 2020?

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:53 am

luckyone wrote:
Who pays attention to polls anymore? I mean aren’t they just completely unreliable…isn’t that the line we kept hearing in 2020?

And 2016 as well.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 am

luckyone wrote:

Fascinating how they are taken seriously again when they say something that touches feelz.

ACDC8

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:23 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Fascinating how they are taken seriously again when they say something that touches feelz.

Same thing here - polls are irrelevant when they show your guy in a negative light, but when they show the other guy in a negative light then all of a sudden polls are the holiest of scriptures.

Newark727

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:23 am

It's also hard to say that the ones with the highest approval numbers turned out to be the best presidents. Look at what George W. Bush managed to do with his 71.2%!

ACDC8

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:25 am

Newark727 wrote:
It's also hard to say that the ones with the highest approval numbers turned out to be the best presidents. Look at what George W. Bush managed to do with his 71.2%!

Approval ratings rarely have to do with the person in office, its about the current state of affairs. If things, like the economy are doing great, then approval ratings go up, if the economy sucks then the approval rating plummets - even if its the same person sitting at the helm.

With George W, he faced a lot of criticism when he entered office, 9/11 happened, everyone got emotional, approval went up and then when emotions went back to normal and Iraq started, public perception changed again.

Kent350787

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:49 am

Newark727 wrote:

His daddy and Jimmy Carter went the lowest since WWII, with 28%.

The electorate disapproved of the former President. It took around 230 days for the current President's rating to slide to the level of the former President's one-off peak. It will be interesting to see whether is gets down to the 26.4% trough.

afcjets

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:02 am

NIKV69 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

Even before inauguration day I told friends and family Joe Biden will make Jimmy Carter seem like a great President. I must admit, I didn't realize he would be this bad and so soon.

Joe Biden did not inherit Russian agression in Ukraine as much as he caused it if you believe Putin took advantage of a weak US president. This is my biggest concern of having Joe Biden in office, but I am more worried about what China will do than Russia.

afcjets

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:09 am

Kent350787 wrote:

Mods - can the title be corrected to "Joe Biden low approval rating on day 510". There is no evidence that he is one of the "least popular Presisnts" on much more than this day of his term.

This isn't newsworthy because his approval rating is "low", it's because it's the "lowest in US history"

Reinhardt

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:07 am

afcjets wrote:
Even before inauguration day I told friends and family Joe Biden will make Jimmy Carter seem like a great President. I must admit, I didn't realize he would be this bad and so soon.

What's he done so badly? Genuine question.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:07 am

afcjets wrote:

Joe Biden did not inherit Russian aggression in Ukraine as much as he caused it if you believe Putin took advantage of a weak US president. This is my biggest concern of having Joe Biden in office, but I am more worried about what China will do than Russia.

I realize the "Biden weak" narrative is the conservative take on Ukraine. But actually Putin had significant cooperation from Trump in denying military aid to Ukraine, and weakening NATO, such that Putin was achieving his goal of keeping Ukraine isolated from the West.

With Biden normalizing relations with Ukraine and strengthening NATO, Putin could no longer achieve his objective, which put military operations on the table. The result is that NATO is now stronger than ever in its history, with the former Soviet satellite nations wanting to join, as well as joining the EU. Not to mention Finland and Sweden, which had formerly been neutral.

So Putin's strategy has backfired, and NATO support of Ukraine will prevent his stategy there as well. He may be able to take the separatist regions, but Ukraine will be very strongly allied with the West afterwards. Which is the opposite of what he wanted.

Further the weakness of the Russian military has been exposed, such that there is no longer any doubt that NATO would dominate any conflict. But the tragedy is that Ukraine is being victimized by Russia and is suffering greatly. So they will continue to need enormous support from the West.

With regard to China, Biden has outright said that the US would defend Taiwan from military takeover by China, in accordance with the US commitment to Taiwan. China is extremely unhappy about that, but the US is resolute on that issue, again with support from the coalition of our Pacific allies, as well as the UK.

jetwet1

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:04 am

NIKV69 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

Just to go back to you're economy quote, would it be worse than George W gave us?

And yes, the AOC crowd do IMHO need to tone it down, in much the same way as MTG does, but neither will, the question for both is how long their respective constituency is willing to put up with them.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Approval ratings rarely have to do with the person in office, its about the current state of affairs. If things, like the economy are doing great, then approval ratings go up, if the economy sucks then the approval rating plummets - even if its the same person sitting at the helm.

With George W, he faced a lot of criticism when he entered office, 9/11 happened, everyone got emotional, approval went up and then when emotions went back to normal and Iraq started, public perception changed again.

Approval ratings are about as irrelevant to actual WH performance as the stock market, that much is certain. But every WH touts them (or discounts as the case may be) anyway.

flyingturtle

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:19 am

"Past approval ratings at day 510 of presidency:"

The key word is... ceteris paribus. Often used in economy, it means "if all other circumstances are equal".

Trump didn't suffer a spike in gasoline prices. But yet he was generally, and for almost all of his presidency, an unpopular president. See what happens when gasoline goes back to its normal price.

Virtual737

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:48 am

The Afghanistan withdrawal was his own doing.

It was Trump that announced the withdrawal and effectively tied Biden to a deadline. Not sure Biden should take all the blame for what happened.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2021/03/17/us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan-trumps-deadline-weighs-biden/4667248001/

Biden also inherited a USA that was about as divided as you can possibly get, largely because of the COVID pandemic that was hugely mismanaged by Trump.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that Biden is the messiah, but what a mess he was handed over. Also don't forget that this "hand over" was the worst in US history, with Mr Narcissist STILL TO THIS DAY bleating on about a steal that have been debunked totally.

casinterest

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Approval ratings are about as irrelevant to actual WH performance as the stock market, that much is certain. But every WH touts them (or discounts as the case may be) anyway.

Like it or not the Gas prices to the average joe, matter more than anything else. 80-90% in the US could care less that every country is seeing the same issue as the gas and inflation are tied to world economic issues.

So Joe will have to deal with his approval rating, which will improve as oil supply increases,.

Virtual737

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:28 pm

casinterest wrote:
80-90% in the US could care less that every country is seeing the same issue as the gas and inflation are tied to world economic issues.

I guess their grammar is as under-developed as their knowledge of the rest of the world.

casinterest

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:55 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
80-90% in the US could care less that every country is seeing the same issue as the gas and inflation are tied to world economic issues.

I guess their grammar is as under-developed as their knowledge of the rest of the world.

Ok Grammar police.
Let's dress it up for you.

Around 80-90% in the US could not care any less about the rest of the world's suffering under high inflation, and gas prices.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:00 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

It was Trump that announced the withdrawal and effectively tied Biden to a deadline. Not sure Biden should take all the blame for what happened.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/2021/03/17/us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan-trumps-deadline-weighs-biden/4667248001/

Biden also inherited a USA that was about as divided as you can possibly get, largely because of the COVID pandemic that was hugely mismanaged by Trump.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that Biden is the messiah, but what a mess he was handed over. Also don't forget that this "hand over" was the worst in US history, with Mr Narcissist STILL TO THIS DAY bleating on about a steal that have been debunked totally.

Agreed that Biden inherited Afghanistan too. I was referring to the exit planning that was under Biden's control. I don't think anyone foresaw the rapid collapse and abdication of the government, and what happened, was going to happen anyway. But could have been handled better on the US end, in hindsight. I defended Biden at the time and still do, but the facts are what they are.

Virtual737

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:13 pm

Agreed that Biden inherited Afghanistan too. I was referring to the exit planning that was under Biden's control. I don't think anyone foresaw the rapid collapse and abdication of the government, and what happened, was going to happen anyway. But could have been handled better on the US end, in hindsight. I defended Biden at the time and still do, but the facts are what they are.

Yep, 100% agree.

Exrampieyyz

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

:idea: :checkmark: :checkmark:
Sounds right to me

luckyone

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:32 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

Really? I think most people could look at the instability of Afghanistan and predict a pretty rapid handover. To that end, Trump is lucky he lost and didn't have to face that. Though let's be real, all he would've done was exactly what every other intellectually honest person said anyway: this was an inevitable disaster twenty years in the making. And he would've been right. The only thing that would've changed is certain people would not have been bleating about it.

StarAC17

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

That is an easy blame but I disagree with that. They might not be perfect but they advocate for progressive policy positions that do poll well, Medicare for all, $15 minimum wage, higher taxes on the wealthy etc. It might be largely the districts they are in but I expect in November AOC and the other members of the squad will be re-elected easily as will many progressives. Who will lose is the GOP lite democrats.

Where they can stop is the woke language which everyone hates but in my observation is more consistent with the establishment of the policy. Pelosi, Schumer, etc. Take a lesson from the popularity of Bernie Sanders. He is too old to run again but he keeps out of the woke SJW messaging and only focuses on the economic issues. I remember him being attacked by Hillary for a bunch of social issues and that Bernie appears to be quite indifferent to the 2nd Amendment.

Biden's approval ratings are low because he has no fight, that might be by design because he is a centre-right democrat and its easy to use Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema as scapegoats for legislation he could really care less about.

What had he had to lose if he took on Joe Manchin, he leaves the caucus? He wasn't going to vote for things like Build Back Better anyways so who cares what letter in name has next to him.
Do you think the GOP would take an ounce of this level of dissent from one of their moderate senators. That caucus will make Susan Collins vote with them every time.

flyingclrs727

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:12 pm

I dislike both Trump and Biden and their families. I voted for neither of them.

Bricktop

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:56 pm

His unpopularity is a messaging problem.

Joe Biden wrote:
"Look, here's where we are. We have the fastest-growing economy in the world. The world. The world,"

As told to hard hitting interviewer Jimmy ("You've got SUCH a tough job") Kimmel. Really, Mr. President?. NEGATIVE growth last quarter, and any economist with a pulse will tell you this quarter is gonna suck too. Maybe they can massage the numbers so we have a 0.01% growth and not have to say the R word. The message problem is at the pump every time you have to grab a C-note to fill your car. I don't know what the Klain-Rice administration is going to do to stop this, other than sucking up to dictators and MBS. Pariah? Pffft. Khashoggi who? So how they get KSA onside while the administration uses the war criminal Putin to negotiate with Iran for us on nukes will be something to watch. Another fine mess you got us into, Mr. Reporting For Duty John Kerry. Go back to Newport and spend wifey's money FFS.

zakuivcustom

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:03 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

• Joe Biden - 39.7%
  • Donald Trump - 41.8%
  • Barack Obama - 47.6%
  • George W. Bush - 71.2%
  • Bill Clinton - 50.1%
  • Ronald Reagan - 45.0%
  • Jimmy Carter - 44.0%
  • Gerald Ford - 39.3%
  • Richard Nixon - 59.0%
  • Lyndon Johnson - 67.1%
  • Harry Truman - 43.1%

It's actually funny how Biden is essentially trending the same way as Obama - except Biden started about 6-7% lower. Biden is also somewhat inline with Reagan - i.e. Reagan faced a recession early in his presidency and his approval rating was also in the tank relatively.

Trump rating is an outlier - his popularity rating pretty much stays flat at around 40-43% throughout his entire presidency. Keep in mind during Trump years the economy was fairly good up until the pandemic hits. For the most part, "It's the economy, stupid", and people are definitely feeling the pinch right now.

Now, there's zero surprise for me that the economy is going into a recession, at least a correction - everything was way overheated and everyone knows somebody will eventually have to increase the interest rate as you just can't print money forever. I don't see things being any different if Trump was reelected, either.

readytotaxi

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:57 pm

Outside of the USA Brits finds that Biden is a bit less flip flap than Trump.

par13del

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:16 pm

So no mention of his fossil fuel policies which a lot blame for the inability to minimize the huge price hikes?

SL1200MK2

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:31 pm

While I know it’s irrelevant, I’m curious as to Biden’s approval rating outside the US as compared to trump

lightsaber

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:32 pm

It looks like the biggest drop in approval ratings is with young voters:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

The decline among young voters has been largely fueled by female Democrats, 61% of whom approve of Biden’s performance, compared to 78% of Democratic male voters, according to the poll.

Democrats under the age of 35 were less likely to believe Biden is prioritizing a host of issues including voting rights, the economy and inflation compared to the average Democrat.

These are the voters who are not yet jaded on politicians.

Inflation and the economy are big ones. Rent is outrageous and those young people are priced out of homes. Try buying a car today; the sticker shock is outrageous.

Take a look at the 70 year chart on oil prices. Start thinking about prior political mindsets for oil prices.
https://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude- ... tory-chart

The oil shocks of the 1970s created pessimism and a national angst.
The declining prices in the 1980s created hope (do the young people here remember really nice cars only having 150 hp engines?).
That 2008 bubble where "buy now or be priced out forever in real estate?"

Everything is priced in oil. For everything needs energy to be made and transported. We now have oil above the price people tolerate politically, in my opinion. If green energy is to become the alternative, it needs to be competitive at under $70/bbl oil.

Regular working people, in particular parents, are hurting in this economy. While some is outside the President's control, there is a perception the current president strangled oil expansion a year ago.

Everyone should look at the money supply chart. Look at the maximum scale. We have more money, far more money, chasing a shortage of goods (housing, cars, gasoline, and to some degree food). We quantitative eased for too long and then really did ourselves in.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-sta ... -supply-m2

I had relatives in the hospital working through the covid crisis, but we didn't open up early enough (goods shortage due to idle labor). e.g., we are seeing a massive spike in productivity with a mandated in office 3 days per week schedule.

I'm :old:

I recall how high oil and inflation doomed Carter.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/white-hou ... ng-low.amp

Seriously, young parents panicked over the baby formula shortage. Hopefully significant crops come out of Ukraine as I personally believe there will be a global food crisis soon the makes the 1970s oil crisis minor.

The cure has to be better than the disease. I really hope we don't see the fallacy of price controls. In particular as half of the current inflation is vehicle related (see link). I can see some rationing coming, but that is going to be a tough political sell.

https://news.dominion-cs.com/the-cure-f ... gh-prices/

What needs to be done is old fashioned government stockpiling ("government cheese'). e.g., why doesn't the USA produce food and fertilizer like it used to?

There is a chart on approval ratings with time for various presidents. I believe Biden best compares to Carter. A president elected after a poorly regarded president. The difference is the plummet in Biden's rating with time.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pr ... n-n1277509

I'm seeing a trend that must be reversed. 1st step is to stop printing so much money (supply & demand). 2nd fix the homelessness and crime situation. Anyone who was an adult in the 1990s knows how that becomes all voters care about.
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/democr ... 1654716817

Lightsaber

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:32 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
While I know it’s irrelevant, I’m curious as to Biden’s approval rating outside the US as compared to trump

The US has surged 22 points in approval ratings across the world, led mostly by Europe. But sank by 58 points in Russia and China.

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-sinking- ... cy-1711516

Given the current state of rising prices and inflation, it's more or less a certainty that Biden would have low approval ratings in the US. No president has ever escaped that for periods of decline in the economy.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:47 pm

I wonder how many polled are 1 or 2 issue voters? I tend to look at the big picture, and while I gave Trump the benefit of the doubt at the start of his administration, he threw my open mindedness away in no time. Biden's intentions are more in line with my way of thinking but look at the Senate. Two allegedly Dem Senators who like the fact that they hold the cards in getting anything passed and are drunk on the power that gives them. We're in a hell of a pickle right now and if the mid-terms go the way I think they will, this country is in for a world of hurt that has nothing to do with Biden himself.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Two allegedly Dem Senators who like the fact that they hold the cards in getting anything passed and are drunk on the power that gives them. We're in a hell of a pickle right now and if the mid-terms go the way I think they will, this country is in for a world of hurt that has nothing to do with Biden himself.

The irony of Manchin & Sinema is that they are popular with Republicans right now for siding with them, but that will completely evaporate if the Republicans gain control. Then they will be the enemy again. So not really anything gained for what was given up.

Bricktop

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:04 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Two allegedly Dem Senators who like the fact that they hold the cards in getting anything passed and are drunk on the power that gives them. We're in a hell of a pickle right now and if the mid-terms go the way I think they will, this country is in for a world of hurt that has nothing to do with Biden himself.

The irony of Manchin & Sinema is that they are popular with Republicans right now for siding with them, but that will completely evaporate if the Republicans gain control. Then they will be the enemy again. So not really anything gained for what was given up.

It wasn't just Manchin and Sinema, but they had the courage to take the hits.

And there was a senior Obama economic advisor (can't remember his name, but not Larry Summers) who said if Manchin hadn't stopped the so-called "Build Back Better" plan, inflation would have been far worse. Maybe the adults in the Democratic Party have seen what happens when they leave the children unsupervised. Maybe Schumer will grow a set now he has no serious opponent in his primary, if you can ever put AOC and serious in the same sentence. Let's hope so.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:20 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:

Those polls are fake. It's only the ones here that matter. Under Trump, US standing in the world fell but his acolytes insisted our standing was the best it's ever been. Now Trump says we're the laughing stock and his acolytes say so, despite polls showing the opposite. The Schrodinger Party: polls are both fake and real, except when they're not, and conditions are great and bad except when they're not.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:43 am

Bricktop wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

It wasn't just Manchin and Sinema, but they had the courage to take the hits.

And there was a senior Obama economic advisor (can't remember his name, but not Larry Summers) who said if Manchin hadn't stopped the so-called "Build Back Better" plan, inflation would have been far worse. Maybe the adults in the Democratic Party have seen what happens when they leave the children unsupervised. Maybe Schumer will grow a set now he has no serious opponent in his primary, if you can ever put AOC and serious in the same sentence. Let's hope so.

The point was that the Republicans won't reciprocate by backing things that Manchin & Sinema want to do. It will be politics as usual again.

Build Back Better could have been a compromise plan. Biden bent over backwards to accommodate their concerns. But they effectively killed the entire concept. As others have pointed out, that was the part that seemed self-serving.

bpatus297

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:11 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
I wonder how many polled are 1 or 2 issue voters? I tend to look at the big picture, and while I gave Trump the benefit of the doubt at the start of his administration, he threw my open mindedness away in no time. Biden's intentions are more in line with my way of thinking but look at the Senate. Two allegedly Dem Senators who like the fact that they hold the cards in getting anything passed and are drunk on the power that gives them. We're in a hell of a pickle right now and if the mid-terms go the way I think they will, this country is in for a world of hurt that has nothing to do with Biden himself.

I like the fact that the Senators are voting the way their constituents want them too, rather than down a party line. If only 98 other senators would do the same, we might not be in the same pickle.

afcjets

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm

flyingturtle wrote:

The key word is... ceteris paribus. Often used in economy, it means "if all other circumstances are equal".

Trump didn't suffer a spike in gasoline prices. But yet he was generally, and for almost all of his presidency, an unpopular president. See what happens when gasoline goes back to its normal price.

That keyword does not exist in this poll or any of these polls. There is nothing special about this poll and despite the modified subject line and your spin, Joe Biden has the LOWEST approval rating of any US President at this point in their presidency, not one of the lowest. The rising gas prices are convenient for Joe in pushing the green new deal so don't expect them to go down while he's in office.

seb146

Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:03 pm

afcjets wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

That keyword does not exist in this poll or any of these polls. There is nothing special about this poll and despite the modified subject line and your spin, Joe Biden has the LOWEST approval rating of any US President at this point in their presidency, not one of the lowest. The rising gas prices are convenient for Joe in pushing the green new deal so don't expect them to go down while he's in office.

Even if Biden were to, somehow, get gas prices back to $2 per gallon, Republicans would still be screaming "on this one day he was the least popular!"

Interesting how polls didn't matter 2016-2020, but they matter now.....

Bricktop

Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
Interesting how polls didn't matter 2016-2020, but they matter now.....

And to some here, they mattered in 2016-2020 but don't matter now.

I bet there are a lot of incumbent Dems in the House to whom the polls matter a great deal. Let's see how many of them invite Biden to campaign for them.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:33 pm

Biden has the press on his side, little public criticism vs. Trump having hostile press.

https://www.uspresidentialelectionnews. ... -80-years/

What would it be like if the press was just as skeptical? Honestly, it feels as if middle class concerns have been ignored.

When people have to make tough financial decisions, it impacts their perceptions. I haven't heard any plans to aid refinery expansion, fracking, or other energy production.

Not to mention fertilizer production. But that is a political issue that seems to be ignored until we (USA) have a crisis.

ObadiahPlainman

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:04 pm

I give little credence to these sort of polls and never have really read into them much.

But when you have now matched Jimmy Carter and have inflation at an all-time high since the Carter administration, that's a nail in the coffin. And don't look now, but Mayra Flores (R) defeated Dan Sanchez (D) in the TX 34 District special election, thus flipping an 84% Hispanic Rio Grande Valley seat red. This district was just redrawn but went Biden +4 in the last cycle. The new district is D+15...this will be one to watch. If it flips, the midterms will be a total bloodbath for the Dems.

ER757

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:04 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

^^ This right here. As the old saying goes "It's the economy, stupid." If gas and grocery prices were not through the roof his approval would be in the 50's. That issue was, is and always will be what matters most to the majority of people.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:23 pm

ObadiahPlainman wrote:
I give little credence to these sort of polls and never have really read into them much.

But when you have now matched Jimmy Carter and have inflation at an all-time high since the Carter administration, that's a nail in the coffin. And don't look now, but Mayra Flores (R) defeated Dan Sanchez (D) in the TX 34 District special election, thus flipping an 84% Hispanic Rio Grande Valley seat red. This district was just redrawn but went Biden +4 in the last cycle. The new district is D+15...this will be one to watch. If it flips, the midterms will be a total bloodbath for the Dems.

To be fair the same district (current boundary) went from 61-38 in 2012 to 59-37 in 2016 but then to 51-47 in 2020. Tejanos (the majority of Hispanic in that area) are definitely acting more like Cubans now anyway. See the result for neighboring (current) TX-15 also.

Ultimately Dems had been losing support among Hispanic voters - they may not all automatically vote for GOP now, but they certainly ain't auto-vote for Dems anymore either.

EDIT:
ER757 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

^^ This right here. As the old saying goes "It's the economy, stupid." If gas and grocery prices were not through the roof his approval would be in the 50's. That issue was, is and always will be what matters most to the majority of people.

To be fair also Biden approval had been going down (typical after the "honeymoon" period) before the high gas price/inflation problem really sting. That being said if the economy is good (and some of the fundamentals, i.e. job market, is still good) his approval rating would certainly be higher.