Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 pm

Two dead and many wounded after what appears to be a mass shooting targeted at gay people in Oslo. At least the cops didn't hide, unlike some here in the US.
https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/norway-ma ... 4-injured/
 
ltbewr
Posts: 16230
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:31 pm

The shooter was a Norwegian national originally from Iran. 2 people were killed and a number of others injured. Sadly the Gay Pride parade scheduled for Saturday in Oslo has been cancelled although some unofficial parading has happened. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/os ... uxbndlbing
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:37 pm

This is truly unfortunate. RIP to all who died.

How are the gun laws in Norway?
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:03 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The shooter was a Norwegian national originally from Iran
So he was Norwegian.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:19 pm

[url][/url]
AirWorthy99 wrote:
This is truly unfortunate. RIP to all who died.

How are the gun laws in Norway?


It’s very difficult to get a gun in Norway, that said there are a lot of guns in Norway, Norwegians are avid hunters. This gun was probably smuggled in from elsewhere.

There are two routes to gun ownership, the easiest is to belong to a gun club as a recreational shooter, you can only use it on a range, you will need to pass a test and be vetted by the police, they will also come and inspect your gun storage in your home, you can’t hunt. The next way is to belong to a hunting club, you have to hunt, they will check, same tests as the gun club route, same police inspections. You’re endorsed for a certain number of weapons, if you want more and you’re at your limit you have to sell an existing weapon, semi automatic weapons are banned.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 2761
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:19 pm

Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 pm

johns624 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The shooter was a Norwegian national originally from Iran
So he was Norwegian.


Not an ethnic Norwegian just a foreigner with a Norwegian passport, like I will be sometime soon.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:24 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Please remember to provide a link to your source when stating facts, thanks.


It’s all in Norwegian. I was going to join a gun club a couple of years ago and started the process. My wife decided she didn’t want a gun in the house so I stopped, I still go to the gun club, I can shoot under the clubs license.

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/gun-ownership-in-norway/
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:24 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The shooter was a Norwegian national originally from Iran
So he was Norwegian.


Not an ethnic Norwegian just a foreigner with a Norwegian passport, like I will be sometime soon.
So only "Aryans/Vikings" are 'real" Norwegians? If he has a Norwegian passport, then he's Norwegian. They should embrace their "melting pot" society, just like the US does. It doesn't matter where you come from, once you get a US passport, you're an American. Saying a person who was born somewhere else isn't the same, just sounds somewhat racist.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15601
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 pm

I saw of French TV they said one weapon was "automatic", was it really, or just semi-automatic (French journalists don't know the difference) ?
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:31 pm

Aesma wrote:
I saw of French TV they said one weapon was "automatic", was it really, or just semi-automatic (French journalists don't know the difference) ?
According to Kiwirob, who lives there, it doesn't matter because even semiautos are banned.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 pm

Aesma wrote:
I saw of French TV they said one weapon was "automatic", was it really, or just semi-automatic (French journalists don't know the difference) ?


There is a long border between Norway and Sweden and you can travel between Norway and Denmark or Germany on a ferry without passing though any checks, smuggling in a weapon from Europe wouldn’t be that difficult.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:09 pm

johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
So he was Norwegian.


Not an ethnic Norwegian just a foreigner with a Norwegian passport, like I will be sometime soon.
So only "Aryans/Vikings" are 'real" Norwegians? If he has a Norwegian passport, then he's Norwegian. They should embrace their "melting pot" society, just like the US does. It doesn't matter where you come from, once you get a US passport, you're an American. Saying a person who was born somewhere else isn't the same, just sounds somewhat racist.


Nope if you’re born in Norway you’re Norwegian, that can be anyone of any colour, but I will never consider myself a Norwegian even when I get citizenship, it’s just a passport it not who I am.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5457
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 pm

It is legitimate to note that immigrants coming from different traditions cannot bring their anti-gay, anti-women rights traditions with them.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15601
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:09 pm

I'm really asking about the weapons used, not their legality (I would be surprised if automatic weapons were legal anywhere in Europe, except Switzerland maybe ?).
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:28 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm really asking about the weapons used, not their legality (I would be surprised if automatic weapons were legal anywhere in Europe, except Switzerland maybe ?).
The police aren't releasing that information, according to this article.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/24/europe/n ... index.html
 
Kilopond
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:03 pm

johns624 wrote:
[...]the man had a Norwegian passport, so he was in effect, a member of the "tribe".[...]


Sorry to say so, I really do not want to offend you, but this is just completely weired. If I get a foreign passport I will still remain an allien. Unless I submit myself to certain masonic dogmas and suddenly consider myself some kind of [insert any sex and race and mixture of them].

On topic: that violent act was horrible. But brain-washed EVIL do-gooders will do their utmost to swamp Europe with as many potential terrosists as possible.
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:58 pm

Kilopond wrote:
johns624 wrote:
[...]the man had a Norwegian passport, so he was in effect, a member of the "tribe".[...]


Sorry to say so, I really do not want to offend you, but this is just completely weired. If I get a foreign passport I will still remain an allien. Unless I submit myself to certain masonic dogmas and suddenly consider myself some kind of [insert any sex and race and mixture of them].

On topic: that violent act was horrible. But brain-washed EVIL do-gooders will do their utmost to swamp Europe with as many potential terrosists as possible.
Wrong. A Norwegian (or Brit, Italian, American, etc.) is someone who lives in a country and has been approved for citizenship. There is no special race called "Norwegian". If you hold a country's passport, you are no longer an alien. A person who emigrates to the US and becomes a citizen is just as much an American as I am. This is just more of that unacknowledged European racism. Not all terrorists are those "evil foreigners". You have plenty of homegrown ones...IRA, RAF, Basques, Breivik, etc. Get off your high horse.
Last edited by johns624 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21078
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:11 pm

johns624 wrote:
It was some Europeans who tried to claim that he really wasn't a Norwegian, so they could distance themselves from his act.


I think you'll find it wasn't any Europeans, it was one New Zealander.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8596
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:36 pm

johns624 wrote:
It was some Europeans who tried to claim that he really wasn't a Norwegian, so they could distance themselves from his act.

Who's trying to distance from anything? You're the one who seems to be so adamant about what passport the shooter has. Never discuss the problem, always deflect and argue about doors and now passports.

Doesn't matter where the shooter is from, doesn't matter what passport they have - stories like this always have information of the shooters background included.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:44 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
[url][/url]
AirWorthy99 wrote:
This is truly unfortunate. RIP to all who died.

How are the gun laws in Norway?


It’s very difficult to get a gun in Norway, that said there are a lot of guns in Norway, Norwegians are avid hunters. This gun was probably smuggled in from elsewhere.

There are two routes to gun ownership, the easiest is to belong to a gun club as a recreational shooter, you can only use it on a range, you will need to pass a test and be vetted by the police, they will also come and inspect your gun storage in your home, you can’t hunt. The next way is to belong to a hunting club, you have to hunt, they will check, same tests as the gun club route, same police inspections. You’re endorsed for a certain number of weapons, if you want more and you’re at your limit you have to sell an existing weapon, semi automatic weapons are banned.


Its seems to be close to impossible to having a gun, and obtaining an illegal one seems like a very difficult task. Nonetheless a bad guy wanted to kill others and still did it, despite the laws and the difficulty.

This Norwegian man who did this, was he poor? Does Norway offer good welfare system for its poor? does it offer free health care? does it offer free mental health care?

I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.

We can get out of the equation the idea that having a 2nd amendment allowed this to happen in Norway as they don't have one. And the laws are tough since this was an illegal gun, yet despite that he managed to obtain it. So basically laws couldn't avoid this, I am interested if other reasons would allow for this to happen.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8596
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:49 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Its seems to be close to impossible to having a gun, and obtaining an illegal one seems like a very difficult task. Nonetheless a bad guy wanted to kill others and still did it, despite the laws and the difficulty.

Which is why this doesn't happen on a near daily basis in Norway.
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.

The American phenomenon is that they have mass shootings on a daily basis. Has nothing to do with the poor, has nothing to do with this or that, has only to do with one thing - gun control, or in the US's case, lack there of.

AirWorthy99 wrote:
This Norwegian man who did this, was he poor? Does Norway offer good welfare system for its poor? does it offer free health care? does it offer free mental health care?

I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings.

Those are deflections used by the pro-gun crowd that like to ignore the only common denominator that every mass shooting has in common.
Last edited by ACDC8 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
FGITD
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:54 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

We can get out of the equation the idea that having a 2nd amendment allowed this to happen in Norway as they don't have one. And the laws are tough since this was an illegal gun, yet despite that he managed to obtain it. So basically laws couldn't avoid this, I am interested if other reasons would allow for this to happen.


You’re making a bad faith argument and you know it.

No one in favor of increased gun control has made the argument you claim. No one is out there claiming there are no shootings in other countries.

The reason that this is so noteworthy is due to the rarity of such shootings. And at that, only 2 people died. The US had literally 10x that many victims in one single elementary school last month.

Here’s some fun reading. There are individual mass shooting events in the US that lead to more deaths than Norway has total murders per year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/670 ... -firearms/
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:03 pm

FGITD wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

We can get out of the equation the idea that having a 2nd amendment allowed this to happen in Norway as they don't have one. And the laws are tough since this was an illegal gun, yet despite that he managed to obtain it. So basically laws couldn't avoid this, I am interested if other reasons would allow for this to happen.


You’re making a bad faith argument and you know it.

No one in favor of increased gun control has made the argument you claim. No one is out there claiming there are no shootings in other countries.

The reason that this is so noteworthy is due to the rarity of such shootings. And at that, only 2 people died. The US had literally 10x that many victims in one single elementary school last month.

Here’s some fun reading. There are individual mass shooting events in the US that lead to more deaths than Norway has total murders per year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/670 ... -firearms/
yeah, and Norway's population is barely 1/70 of the US. Just think if they had the same population?
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:03 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Its seems to be close to impossible to having a gun, and obtaining an illegal one seems like a very difficult task. Nonetheless a bad guy wanted to kill others and still did it, despite the laws and the difficulty.

Which is why this doesn't happen on a near daily basis in Norway.
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.

The American phenomenon is that they have mass shootings on a daily basis. Has nothing to do with the poor, has nothing to do with this or that, has only to do with one thing - gun control, or in the US's case, lack there of.


Norway has a population of 5.5 Million, the US 330 Million.

And gun control couldnt avoid the tragedy of the mass shooting in Norway. So clearly, even with gun control and. Norway sits on the extreme, they couldnt stop the tragedy, dozens of people shot.
 
FGITD
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:14 pm

johns624 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

We can get out of the equation the idea that having a 2nd amendment allowed this to happen in Norway as they don't have one. And the laws are tough since this was an illegal gun, yet despite that he managed to obtain it. So basically laws couldn't avoid this, I am interested if other reasons would allow for this to happen.


You’re making a bad faith argument and you know it.

No one in favor of increased gun control has made the argument you claim. No one is out there claiming there are no shootings in other countries.

The reason that this is so noteworthy is due to the rarity of such shootings. And at that, only 2 people died. The US had literally 10x that many victims in one single elementary school last month.

Here’s some fun reading. There are individual mass shooting events in the US that lead to more deaths than Norway has total murders per year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/670 ... -firearms/
yeah, and Norway's population is barely 1/70 of the US. Just think if they had the same population?



Let’s dive into that a bit to compare by using an example.

South Carolina- Population-about 5 million
Norway-population-about 5 million


2020

South Carolina murders- 549

Norway-31
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:01 am

scbriml wrote:
johns624 wrote:
It was some Europeans who tried to claim that he really wasn't a Norwegian, so they could distance themselves from his act.


I think you'll find it wasn't any Europeans, it was one New Zealander.


Yup me, a New Zealander, not a Norwegian even when I get citizenship, it’s just a piece of paper it’s not who I am, this is my opinion and I stick by it.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21078
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:03 am

johns624 wrote:
yeah, and Norway's population is barely 1/70 of the US. Just think if they had the same population?


Swing and a miss - even 'per capita' numbers don't make Norway anywhere near as bad as America.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.


The US seems to have one almost every day. To try and draw a wider conclusion based on this single event in Norway wouldn't get you too many marks on any exam worth a damn.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 6235
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:50 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Its seems to be close to impossible to having a gun, and obtaining an illegal one seems like a very difficult task. Nonetheless a bad guy wanted to kill others and still did it, despite the laws and the difficulty.

Which is why this doesn't happen on a near daily basis in Norway.
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.

The American phenomenon is that they have mass shootings on a daily basis. Has nothing to do with the poor, has nothing to do with this or that, has only to do with one thing - gun control, or in the US's case, lack there of.


Norway has a population of 5.5 Million, the US 330 Million.

And gun control couldnt avoid the tragedy of the mass shooting in Norway. So clearly, even with gun control and. Norway sits on the extreme, they couldnt stop the tragedy, dozens of people shot.


https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Gun deaths per capita:
Norway: 1.75/100,000
U.S.: 12.25/100,000
...

You either fail to understand how data works or you seek to misrepresent it to push your political/ideological views . Or both.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8596
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:17 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Norway sits on the extreme

The US has had well over 250 mass shootings this year alone, compared to Norway's one. Now, you want to talk extremes?


AirWorthy99 wrote:
they couldnt stop the tragedy, dozens of people shot..

No, you can't stop it - but you can reduce it and you can reduce it significantly which almost every developed country that has gun control has literally done - expect for one.
Last edited by ACDC8 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:18 am

johns624 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

We can get out of the equation the idea that having a 2nd amendment allowed this to happen in Norway as they don't have one. And the laws are tough since this was an illegal gun, yet despite that he managed to obtain it. So basically laws couldn't avoid this, I am interested if other reasons would allow for this to happen.


You’re making a bad faith argument and you know it.

No one in favor of increased gun control has made the argument you claim. No one is out there claiming there are no shootings in other countries.

The reason that this is so noteworthy is due to the rarity of such shootings. And at that, only 2 people died. The US had literally 10x that many victims in one single elementary school last month.

Here’s some fun reading. There are individual mass shooting events in the US that lead to more deaths than Norway has total murders per year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/670 ... -firearms/
yeah, and Norway's population is barely 1/70 of the US. Just think if they had the same population?


John you’re an intelligent man, I know you understand the term per capita, even if you scaled up Norways population to the same size as the US murders per 100k would most likely remain the same.

Even when you look at countries with larger populations there are no US peer nations with anywhere near the same numbers of murders per capita as the US. The rate of murder in China is .53 which isn’t a lot higher than Norway at .47 per 100k

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings
 
bennett123
Posts: 11207
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:08 am

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Not an ethnic Norwegian just a foreigner with a Norwegian passport, like I will be sometime soon.
So only "Aryans/Vikings" are 'real" Norwegians? If he has a Norwegian passport, then he's Norwegian. They should embrace their "melting pot" society, just like the US does. It doesn't matter where you come from, once you get a US passport, you're an American. Saying a person who was born somewhere else isn't the same, just sounds somewhat racist.


Nope if you’re born in Norway you’re Norwegian, that can be anyone of any colour, but I will never consider myself a Norwegian even when I get citizenship, it’s just a passport it not who I am.


So if you do not feel Norwegian why get a Norwegian passport.

Personally I am eligible for an Irish passport.

Only thing is when I visit relatives over there, I become aware that I would still be English regardless.
 
GDB
Posts: 15367
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:11 am

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

You’re making a bad faith argument and you know it.

No one in favor of increased gun control has made the argument you claim. No one is out there claiming there are no shootings in other countries.

The reason that this is so noteworthy is due to the rarity of such shootings. And at that, only 2 people died. The US had literally 10x that many victims in one single elementary school last month.

Here’s some fun reading. There are individual mass shooting events in the US that lead to more deaths than Norway has total murders per year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/670 ... -firearms/
yeah, and Norway's population is barely 1/70 of the US. Just think if they had the same population?


John you’re an intelligent man, I know you understand the term per capita, even if you scaled up Norways population to the same size as the US murders per 100k would most likely remain the same.

Even when you look at countries with larger populations there are no US peer nations with anywhere near the same numbers of murders per capita as the US. The rate of murder in China is .53 which isn’t a lot higher than Norway at .47 per 100k

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings


Those figures, for 2018, are so clear, so easy to understand, to make all these false equivalents and other distractions just an attempt of denial.

So that year the US was at number 64, sounds not bad, until you see who is above.

The next peer nation, that is a western democratic nation, is Canada at 109, wonder if that is made worse by the neighbors?
First European one? Belgium at 112, which also happens to be an arms epicenter, both making them and illicit trade, (why do you think those terrorists that did those attacks in France a few years back were based there)?
A bit of a surprise even further down the list, where gun culture gets saner, I thought France would be a bit above the UK, however in 2018 it was the UK at 128, France at 130.
But from Canada onwards, despite the slaughter south of them, with peer nations it's a very big gap from US.

Nations that are also 'peer' in that the populations are exposed to the same media, most have immigrant populations, also varying levels of gang crime too.

Of course these stats could be a vast plot to to undermine gun 'rights', the world could also be flat.....
Last edited by GDB on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 16230
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:28 am

Please stop with the comparisons of which country is better or worse as to gun regulations and violence and be more concerned with the motivation and effects of this apparently lone gunman attacking persons outside a well known GLTBQ bar/club.

Judging from the birth place (Iran) of the alleged shooter, he is almost certain to be of a faith that totally abhors GLTBQs so motivated to do this act and others who violently attack GLTBQ's out of their 'faith'. Now what was a place where GLTBQ's could hang out with others in relative safety found out reality it wasn't, indeed it became a target..It caused an annual Pride Parade in the city to be suspended out of fear of others motivated with hate of GLTBQ's attack during it. More police were directed to carry guns for their and the public's safety. In cities around the globe, being openly GLTBQ may mean a death sentence, a reversal of over 50 years of hard work and many fights over their human rights.GLTBQ events and likely parades this weekend will have to have a massive police presence, something due to police abuses to GLTBQ's and racist policies by police creates a conflicting situation.
 
AeroVega
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.


This was an Islamic terrorist attack. Islamic terrorism is not an eminently American phenomenon, it happens almost everywhere in the world. And lax American gun laws do not do much to protect against it either, as history has shown a couple of times.
 
bennett123
Posts: 11207
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:39 am

Do US citizens of Iranian origin have the same right under 2A. I assume they do.

Would be interesting to see if they commit more or less acts of violence than in Norway.

Also do they have more guns per capita than other US citizens.

Last question, if I visited the US would I be allowed to Carry?.
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Do US citizens of Iranian origin have the same right under 2A. I assume they do.

Would be interesting to see if they commit more or less acts of violence than in Norway.

Also do they have more guns per capita than other US citizens.

Last question, if I visited the US would I be allowed to Carry?.
There aren't many Irani-Americans in my area, Living in Detroit and having used to work in a gun store, the great majority of Middle Easterners buying guns in this area are of Lebanese, Iraqi Chaldean and Yemeni descent. Detroit has by far the largest ME population in the US. I don't see many accused of crimes in the local papers. Many are small business owners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Amer ... ancestries.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17970
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:20 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Its seems to be close to impossible to having a gun, and obtaining an illegal one seems like a very difficult task. Nonetheless a bad guy wanted to kill others and still did it, despite the laws and the difficulty.

Which is why this doesn't happen on a near daily basis in Norway.
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I ask because that's also one of the reasons people say in the US we have mass shootings. I just want to know exactly how is it possible that Norway can have them since I have been told this is an eminently an American phenomenon.

The American phenomenon is that they have mass shootings on a daily basis. Has nothing to do with the poor, has nothing to do with this or that, has only to do with one thing - gun control, or in the US's case, lack there of.


Norway has a population of 5.5 Million, the US 330 Million.

And gun control couldnt avoid the tragedy of the mass shooting in Norway. So clearly, even with gun control and. Norway sits on the extreme, they couldnt stop the tragedy, dozens of people shot.


Not sure you fully grasp how per capita measurement works.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:43 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
So only "Aryans/Vikings" are 'real" Norwegians? If he has a Norwegian passport, then he's Norwegian. They should embrace their "melting pot" society, just like the US does. It doesn't matter where you come from, once you get a US passport, you're an American. Saying a person who was born somewhere else isn't the same, just sounds somewhat racist.


Nope if you’re born in Norway you’re Norwegian, that can be anyone of any colour, but I will never consider myself a Norwegian even when I get citizenship, it’s just a passport it not who I am.


So if you do not feel Norwegian why get a Norwegian passport.

Personally I am eligible for an Irish passport.

Only thing is when I visit relatives over there, I become aware that I would still be English regardless.


That’s an easy answer it means I don’t need to apply for a new residence visa every 24 months.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14168
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:47 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Please stop with the comparisons of which country is better or worse as to gun regulations and violence and be more concerned with the motivation and effects of this apparently lone gunman attacking persons outside a well known GLTBQ bar/club.

Judging from the birth place (Iran) of the alleged shooter, he is almost certain to be of a faith that totally abhors GLTBQs so motivated to do this act and others who violently attack GLTBQ's out of their 'faith'. Now what was a place where GLTBQ's could hang out with others in relative safety found out reality it wasn't, indeed it became a target..It caused an annual Pride Parade in the city to be suspended out of fear of others motivated with hate of GLTBQ's attack during it. More police were directed to carry guns for their and the public's safety. In cities around the globe, being openly GLTBQ may mean a death sentence, a reversal of over 50 years of hard work and many fights over their human rights.GLTBQ events and likely parades this weekend will have to have a massive police presence, something due to police abuses to GLTBQ's and racist policies by police creates a conflicting situation.


Just out of interest when did LGBTQ become GLTBQ, it doesn’t roll off the tongue as easily.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:24 pm

Ok so, its been more than 40 posts and no one has actually asked or said, what does Norway need to do to stop or to end mass shootings such as the one that happened last Friday.

No one has suggested any changes or anything to avoid this in the future.

Based on what we know from the suspect thus far;

Does Norway need to ban religion to avoid this?

Does Norway need to ban legal immigration?

Does Norway need to send immigrants to re education centers so that they can assimilate the Norwegian culture?

Does Norway need to make tougher laws that would help avoiding illegal guns from entering their borders?

Does Norway need more funding of their police to increase surveillance of people such as the suspect?

Does Norway need to change its laws in order to incarcerate people with suspected ties to Islamic terrorists?

These are the questions we need to ask if they would help reduce or stop another mass shooting in Norway.
 
bennett123
Posts: 11207
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:40 pm

They need to investigate this attack and not jump to conclusions.

Imprisonment of people who might be guilty of something really is the option of desperation.
 
santi319
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 pm

Same thing happened in Orlando, the Pulse shooting in 2016, an islamic extremist that targeted a gay bar, the death toll was greater, but there were no real consequences as for gun control etc.

Investing in intelligence is the only solution for Norway. These selfhating murderers almost always spread their hate commenting online or in conversations. Norway has the ability to tackle this.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 17970
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:09 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Ok so, its been more than 40 posts and no one has actually asked or said, what does Norway need to do to stop or to end mass shootings such as the one that happened last Friday.

No one has suggested any changes or anything to avoid this in the future.

Based on what we know from the suspect thus far;

Does Norway need to ban religion to avoid this?

Does Norway need to ban legal immigration?

Does Norway need to send immigrants to re education centers so that they can assimilate the Norwegian culture?

Does Norway need to make tougher laws that would help avoiding illegal guns from entering their borders?

Does Norway need more funding of their police to increase surveillance of people such as the suspect?

Does Norway need to change its laws in order to incarcerate people with suspected ties to Islamic terrorists?

These are the questions we need to ask if they would help reduce or stop another mass shooting in Norway.


Considering globally newsworthy mass shootings in Norway have consisted of a homegrown anti-minority maniac and a possibly fundamentalist immigrant, it would seem intel is obviously the answer. No need for all the deflection.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15601
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:18 pm

Apparently the guy was already known for his views and for violent acts, so something could have been done. Maybe revoke his citizenship and send him back where he seems to belong more ?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 9400
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:51 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Do US citizens of Iranian origin have the same right under 2A. I assume they do.

Would be interesting to see if they commit more or less acts of violence than in Norway.

Also do they have more guns per capita than other US citizens.

Last question, if I visited the US would I be allowed to Carry?.


Last question, probably not in most states.

43 of the 50 states are “shall issue” states, but they usually require US citizenship or legal alien status. Only 7 states were effected by the SCOTUS ruling, now required to have objective standard for denying a permit, as opposed to an arbitrary standard.
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:27 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Last question, if I visited the US would I be allowed to Carry?.


Last question, probably not in most states.

Except for one small exception that I won't go into here, you can't even buy a gun, let alone carry it. Like Galaxy said, you have to be either a citizen or a resident alien. It's not like Hollywood movies.
 
johns624
Topic Author
Posts: 5520
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Considering globally newsworthy mass shootings in Norway have consisted of a homegrown anti-minority maniac and a possibly fundamentalist immigrant, it would seem intel is obviously the answer. No need for all the deflection.
You forgot the "Mad Archer" :D . Five people killed.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-5 ... determined.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1589
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Mass Shooting in Norway

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Ok so, its been more than 40 posts and no one has actually asked or said, what does Norway need to do to stop or to end mass shootings such as the one that happened last Friday.

No one has suggested any changes or anything to avoid this in the future.

Based on what we know from the suspect thus far;

Does Norway need to ban religion to avoid this?

Does Norway need to ban legal immigration?

Does Norway need to send immigrants to re education centers so that they can assimilate the Norwegian culture?

Does Norway need to make tougher laws that would help avoiding illegal guns from entering their borders?

Does Norway need more funding of their police to increase surveillance of people such as the suspect?

Does Norway need to change its laws in order to incarcerate people with suspected ties to Islamic terrorists?

These are the questions we need to ask if they would help reduce or stop another mass shooting in Norway.


Considering globally newsworthy mass shootings in Norway have consisted of a homegrown anti-minority maniac and a possibly fundamentalist immigrant, it would seem intel is obviously the answer. No need for all the deflection.


I am in the 'ban' or 'change laws' camp, since obviously the Norwegian government's effort in improving intel did not help. Last year they also had an attack, yet despite that, we got this tragedy on Friday.

So I think if we use the same premise we should advocate for changing laws or banning something to improve this situation.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bikerthai, davidjohnson6, fallap, OzarkD9S and 34 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos