Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CometII

Re: Boris Johnson done as Prime Minister?

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:45 pm

You know you are a PM in trouble when even the Welsh MPs are raising independence in parliament.

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:01 pm

All this makes Trump look a little bit sensible.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 am

readytotaxi wrote:

Hmmm. Boris is a clown but Trump is in a totally different league on a unique planet in a galaxy far, far away.

Flanker7

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 am

Virtual737 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Hmmm. Boris is a clown but Trump is in a totally different league on a unique planet in a galaxy far, far away.[/quote

Well they could be brothers .

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:29 am

Flanker7 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Hmmm. Boris is a clown but Trump is in a totally different league on a unique planet in a galaxy far, far away.[/quote

As was commented this morning, thank god that unlike Putin (or Trump) that Johnson has no command of, or access to the Armed Forces.
Oh, plus the ‘he’s save up from......’
Bollocks, he’s saved only himself and always has.

Once this is over the blocking of the official report on the handling of the UK’s response to the pandemic, already now due to start, will expose all his in attention, the mass fraud that was the often late and supply of useless PPE massively favoring Tory donors over experienced suppliers, 39bn on a track and trace system to another Tory donor who screwed it up.
And the vaccine? The program to manage that thankfully was with the NHS, not his corrupt mates. Plus this ‘British Success’ was more like the story of the Tortoise and Hare.
180,000 dead, three times the projected worst case, of course that fact that his bunch partied through it breaking their own laws hit the public attention.

If you voted for them, him and things have got worse for you, no sympathy, only those who could not for any reason, or didn’t, deserve that.
Since it has long been obvious all through his time in public life what he was like.
Through him doing terrible damage to that party selfish enough to install him knowing his deep, massive unsuitability for ANY job near government, that’s fine by me.
Complicity becomes karma.

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:03 am

At 0800 British Summer Time 5 more departures from the government so far today including Michael Gove (sacked). Total so far is 51. BBC says at least 24 posts are vacant.

B717fan wrote:
EDIT: Brandon Lewis has NOT resigned.

Update: has now.
Last edited by art on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 am

Johnson is now like that last guest at a party who cannot recognise it's over, even though the hosts are now in their pyjamas!

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 am

scbriml wrote:
Johnson is now like that last guest at a party who cannot recognise it's over, even though the hosts are now in their pyjamas!

I think he has a problem inviting more to the party to replace those who have left. They don't want to come to a party that's over.

PS Replacement Chancellor of the Exchequer (finance minister) has written to Boris saying "go now". Source BBC. I wonder if that will be followed by the finance minister being sacked.

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:10 am

Boris is going to resign - says BBC news political editor.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:14 am

BBC newsflash - he's gone!!!!

Correction: He will be making a statement at some point today.

:hyper:
Last edited by scbriml on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:23 am

So last night's refusal to resign was just one final act of defiance and bluster.

Now we'll get to see the unedifying spectacle of the self-interested scramble to replace him.

noviorbis77

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:34 am

GDB wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

As was commented this morning, thank god that unlike Putin (or Trump) that Johnson has no command of, or access to the Armed Forces.

Once this is over the blocking of the official report on the handling of the UK’s response to the pandemic, already now due to start, will expose all his in attention, the mass fraud that was the often late and supply of useless PPE massively favoring Tory donors over experienced suppliers, 39bn on a track and trace system to another Tory donor who screwed it up.
And the vaccine? The program to manage that thankfully was with the NHS, not his corrupt mates. Plus this ‘British Success’ was more like the story of the Tortoise and Hare.
180,000 dead, three times the projected worst case, of course that fact that his bunch partied through it breaking their own laws hit the public attention.

If you voted for them, him and things have got worse for you, no sympathy, only those who could not for any reason, or didn’t, deserve that.
Since it has long been obvious all through his time in public life what he was like.
Through him doing terrible damage to that party selfish enough to install him knowing his deep, massive unsuitability for ANY job near government, that’s fine by me.

It was him or Corbyn.

People have forgotten that.

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:39 am

I wonder

(a) if Boris will be allowed to continue as caretaker prime minister until parliament re-convenes in September after the imminent July 21 recess
(b) if a new PM will abandon this government's intent to breach the Brexit agreement with EU re: Northern Ireland

Time to start rebuilding UK's historical record of observing international law... On that tack, it seems to me that all Tory MP's who were complicit with breaking international law should be removed from ministerial office by the new PM.
Last edited by art on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:44 am

If Boris remains as caretaker PM until September, he will have been PM longer than Theresa May. If not, he won't. He won't admit it, but I imagine that's a major reason for him wanting to remain in post as caretaker

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:50 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
GDB wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

It was him or Corbyn.

People have forgotten that.

No, also he’s on the complicity list too.
Another lazy, thick, public schoolboy with no actual merits.
But he wasn’t personally corrupt. Just useless.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:00 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If Boris remains as caretaker PM until September, he will have been PM longer than Theresa May. If not, he won't. He won't admit it, but I imagine that's a major reason for him wanting to remain in post as caretaker

Just seen another statistic. If Boris had quit yesterday and ceased to be a PM, his tenure would have equalled Neville Chamberlain. For someone who has Churchill as their hero, that's probably not what they want

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Just seen another statistic. If Boris had quit yesterday and ceased to be a PM, his tenure would have equalled Neville Chamberlain. For someone who has Churchill as their hero, that's probably not what they want

Another pathetic joke, he 'wrote' a book about him, put his own mug on the front, not the subject, massive schoolboy errors too, did you know the Germans took Stalingrad? One of the minor ones.
Still, worked on the thickos who took him seriously, either that or they were personally profiting from him.

Anyway;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9n-2RxMfa4

A minor legacy, aside from the annual 4% GDP hit, of the big lie that got him in, the responsibility of the vile Rees Mogg (who blamed the victims of the Grenfell fire for their deaths)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rts-brexit

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:39 am

I hope that a leadership election will be organised immediately and that the Conservative MP's will realise that the next leader needs to be someone who is clearly a person of honesty and integrity. Without a radical move away from the dishonesty and corruption of the Johnson administration I do not think that the Tories will win back the trust of the disaffected electorate sufficiently to win the next general election. Good timing for a change of leadership - the new leader will have over two years to retrieve confidence in the ruling party.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:01 am

Time is up for Johnson. He had what he came for: being Prime Minister. That's what he wanted, that's what he believed he deserved. Being raised in the upper classes, Eaton, Oxford, Journalism, Politics. That's why he choose to be in favor of Brexit, he saw his opportunity to be prime minister in this way. That's why he pushed for the hardest Brexit, just to be able to continue to blame the EU for everything, easier to cover things up.

This is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

John Oliver's piece over Boris Johnson when he became PM, is especially good to see at the 7:16 mark. It sums up Johnson's philosophy perfectly.

We will see who will be his successor and in what way they want to interact with the world and in which direction Brittain will develop.

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am

art wrote:
I hope that a leadership election will be organised immediately and that the Conservative MP's will realise that the next leader needs to be someone who is clearly a person of honesty and integrity. Without a radical move away from the dishonesty and corruption of the Johnson administration I do not think that the Tories will win back the trust of the disaffected electorate sufficiently to win the next general election. Good timing for a change of leadership - the new leader will have over two years to retrieve confidence in the ruling party.

Those who you describe either left or were purged in 2019.
The rest, all of them, are totally complicit.

One former MP said in 2018, 'if Johnson becomes PM, we cease being a serious country' (though we rather proved that in 2016).
Or Max Hastings, a Tory stalwart, better known as a historian, was the editor of a paper so he had to sack Johnson for dishonesty, predicted that he would last 3 or 4 years before ending in farce.

Anyone with any real idea of what he was like, beyond the very obvious media image which should never have fooled anyone, that he was always a very nasty piece of work, lazy and useless being the least of it.

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:14 am

GDB wrote:
art wrote:

Those who you describe either left or were purged in 2019.
The rest, all of them, are totally complicit.

On the one hand, strictly speaking, all Conservative MP's who remained in a party infected by corruption were complicit. All members of the Conservative party who remained in a party infected by corruption were complicit. On the other hand, if all MP's resigned the party whip when they judged any one of their party's actions unethical I don't think we would have many non-independent MP's. That would be my preference - I don't like political parties. They compromise a representative's freedom to represent their electorate's best interests.

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:35 am

So he plans to hang around like a discarded condom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv1BCB9fhvA

The other perps;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... leadership
Last edited by GDB on Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

seemyseems

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:44 am

Good riddance.

readytotaxi

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:31 pm

In April 2020 he spent £112,549. on a refurb of the ministers flat, quess another reason he is no hurry to leave.

NIKV69

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:37 pm

The best thing about this is that Cat that hangs out in front of the residence. Bye Bye Boris.

N14AZ

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:42 pm

Not a Putin supporter (… how could I…) but can’t wait to hear about his reaction. I guess he will comment while riding on a horse, without shirt, of course, grinning and saying „bye bye Boris“…

vrbarreto

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:49 pm

art wrote:
Dozens of people saying they decline to continue working for a government led by Boris. What in the world makes him think he can continue? I think it is time he announced that he is resigning the position of PM to spend more time with his family.

Which one?

Dutchy

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:05 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
It is quite extraordinary.

He saved us from Corbyn. He helped us escape the EU.

However it is time to move on.

Step aside, time for change.

All from your own perspective. I would like to offer another perspective: he helped to ruin British standing in the world, he helped to introduce trade barriers, he helped to question the stability of the UK, he helped to question the Good Friday Agreement. That is at least equally true, if not more so.

As for Corbyn, perhaps, however, he couldn't have done much more damage even if he tried.

So yeah, for the benefit for the UK, Europe and the world, it is indeed time to move on and let grown-ups handle politics and not just because one thinks he is entitled to be PM, he ought to be one.
Hopefully the next PM will be more sensable and more middle of the political spectrum and not the populist right or left.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:07 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Not a Putin supporter (… how could I…) but can’t wait to hear about his reaction. I guess he will comment while riding on a horse, without shirt, of course, grinning and saying „bye bye Boris“…

Apparently, he is quite ill, so don't know if riding a horse would be a good idea in his condition. I think Alexander Johnson has served his purpose quite well and he will be quite sad to see him leave. Johnson weakens the west, so that is all in the interest of Putin.

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:13 pm

Don't sit on the fence James!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1lMKFH8Nzk

Still he's right, every word, as for the Boris gave us Brexit, apart from the obvious disaster and tax dodging intention behind it's backers, he did not even believe in it! Fooled enough mugs unfortunately.
(As London Mayor he spoke in favour of the EU, the commentator above admitted in 2008 that he voted for Johnson then in his guise of liberal Tory centre ground stance but within weeks, as his performance in a real job became apparent, the scales fell from his eyes).

ltbewr

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Boris' departure is far better that in the USA where the Republican party here wouldn't remove President Trump from office for his far worse crimes than Boris did. I just hope he goes away, doesn't get any book or speech deals, financially ruined for all the UK citizens killed by his malfeasance with Covid-19, his personal corruption and the mess he caused in the UK with his support of Brexit. I just hope his replacement is competent. Seems that anyone would be better right now.

readytotaxi

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:00 pm

How long before he turns up on the board of "xyz" company as an "advisor", is there a required gap?

Arion640

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:04 pm

CometII wrote:
You know you are a PM in trouble when even the Welsh MPs are raising independence in parliament.

The 3 Plaid Cymru ones? I wouldn’t listen to them. Minority party.

art

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:07 pm

GDB wrote:
(As London Mayor he spoke in favour of the EU, the commentator above admitted in 2008 that he voted for Johnson then in his guise of liberal Tory centre ground stance but within weeks, as his performance in a real job became apparent, the scales fell from his eyes).

You seem somewhat critical of Boris' performance as London mayor. Anything wrong with spending £43 million of public money on an invisible pedestrian bridge over the Thames?

Dutchy

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:10 pm

GDB wrote:

Still he's right, every word, as for the Boris gave us Brexit, apart from the obvious disaster and tax dodging intention behind it's backers, he did not even believe in it! Fooled enough mugs unfortunately.

Boris (Alexander) had written two speeches in 2016: one in favor of Brexit, and one in favor of remain. He choose Brexit because he thought he could benefit the most from that and guess what, he was right. Now the show is over for him.

And indeed, James is absolutely right, except it is not one man, in the end, it is the British system.

77XdelayImcarl

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:15 pm

Didn't he promise us someone in a ditch a few years ago?

Arion640

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

All from your own perspective. I would like to offer another perspective: he helped to ruin British standing in the world, he helped to introduce trade barriers, he helped to question the stability of the UK, he helped to question the Good Friday Agreement. That is at least equally true, if not more so.

As for Corbyn, perhaps, however, he couldn't have done much more damage even if he tried.

So yeah, for the benefit for the UK, Europe and the world, it is indeed time to move on and let grown-ups handle politics and not just because one thinks he is entitled to be PM, he ought to be one.
Hopefully the next PM will be more sensable and more middle of the political spectrum and not the populist right or left.

Corbyn is a marxist who would of (also) destroyed our country. There wasn’t a lot of choice at the 2019 election.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Corbyn is a marxist who would of (also) destroyed our country. There wasn’t a lot of choice at the 2019 election.

Still one could argue which one would have done more damage? A Marxist or a Populist. It was indeed not the best of choices for the British electorate.

marcelh

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:56 pm

The worse part is that nothing will really change. A good read about how politicians are “made” in the UK:
https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2022/may/01/chums-how-a-tiny-caste-of-oxford-tories-took-over-the-uk-by-simon-kuper-review

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:04 pm

I've been wondering why the rebellion began specifically on 5th July - the Chris Pincher affair, while unpleasant, did not seem a sufficient trigger for dozens of resignations
I'm beginning to think the real reason was the rebellion was planned weeks or even months in advance and that Boris knew it was going to happen. It was delayed only so that Boris who wrote a book about Churchill could say he had been in office for longer than Neville Chamberlain. For those unaware, Neville Chamberlain resigned in 1940, when the UK was losing in WW2 and at serious risk of being invaded
Neville Chamberlain lasted 2 years, 348 days. Boris as of 7 July is also currently on 2 years 348 days
Boris is presumably now desperate to remain as PM until 5 August - that way he gets to say he lasted longer than Theresa May

News articles seem to compare Boris' longevity only to post-1945 prime ministers. Were they to include post-1900 prime ministers, I think the story might be a little clearer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... _of_tenure

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:31 pm

GDB wrote:

He's brilliantly savage.

scbriml

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I've been wondering why the rebellion began specifically on 5th July - the Chris Pincher affair, while unpleasant, did not seem a sufficient trigger for dozens of resignations

It certainly didn't begin on 5th July - the Pincher affair was the straw that broke the camel's back. The final nail in the coffin of Johnson's political career.

zkojq

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 pm

What a diabolical resignation speech. Not an ounce of apology or of contrition and instead playing the victim card. Oh and trying to make this about Ukraine. Disgusting.

Still, amazing that it wasn't all the thousands of excess covid deaths that got him. Not the billions of pounds of fraudulent PPE contracts for Tory favorites that had him bang to rights. Not the way he was too lazy to attend urgent COBRA meetings at the start of the pandemic, nor giving peerages to family of KGB agents that was his Waterloo. Not even partying like there was no tomorrow in the middle of lockdown then lying about it again and again that ended him.

...what a crazy world.

Also, everyone of the MPs, Ministers etc who resigned in the past 48 hours are still completely complicit in enabling him. The pretence that they were doing anything other than trying to save their own political career is beyond laughable.
Last edited by zkojq on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N14AZ

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:03 pm

So who will follow?

ElPistolero

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Still one could argue which one would have done more damage? A Marxist or a Populist. It was indeed not the best of choices for the British electorate.

More like Marxist populist vs nationalist populist. They both wanted massive state intervention/spending. To the extent that there was a difference, Corbyn couldn’t lie about the tax burden, while Johnson hid behind the Tory shield to claim he was against high taxes. Leaving the Tory party to figure out how to spend more money without raising taxes (an impossible task for Sunak, who duly quit).

Think we’ve finally reached the point where a lot of folk are realizing that the guy they chose to beat Corbyn was not much better than Corbyn in the long run. In fact, he may prove to be even worse in the long term, given the way sentiment is trending in the other 3 nations.

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:09 pm

marcelh wrote:
The worse part is that nothing will really change. A good read about how politicians are “made” in the UK:
https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2022/may/01/chums-how-a-tiny-caste-of-oxford-tories-took-over-the-uk-by-simon-kuper-review

And easy to change, simply pass an act which would remove their charitable status.
(Originally set up to provide education for the less fortunate, until the real parasites in this country infected it).
Which would give themselves a chance to do some of that bootstrap stuff they tell those without loaded parents to do, call it 'character building'.
You cannot help who your parents are, where they send you, George Orwell hated the place, saw it for what it was.

Lindsay Anderson's classic 1968 film 'if....' filmed at his old school, (not that the head of the place was shown a script!) sums these places up.
How they churn out Camerons and Johnsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zun2v3YNe6E
(Mick Travis's entrance got him the part of 'Alex' in 'A Clockwork Orange'.
Last edited by GDB on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GDB

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:12 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

More like Marxist populist vs nationalist populist. They both wanted massive state intervention/spending. To the extent that there was a difference, Corbyn couldn’t lie about the tax burden, while Johnson hid behind the Tory shield to claim he was against high taxes. Leaving the Tory party to figure out how to spend more money without raising taxes (an impossible task for Sunak, who duly quit).

Think we’ve finally reached the point where a lot of folk are realizing that the guy they chose to beat Corbyn was not much better than Corbyn in the long run. In fact, he may prove to be even worse in the long term, given the way sentiment is trending in the other 3 nations.

He was massively unsuited for PM, however he was not corrupt and no dimmer than Johnson.
It was those around him that concerned many.
Still, he's not even got his party whip since, being the stubborn old git he is, refuses to accept the findings of an independent report into some goings on when he was leader.

Still, he did not see the NHS as a source of income for his mates, all these dopes bleating 'Boris got the Pandemic right', I refer you to my post above on that, then there is this;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... osing-jobs

GDB

Re: Updated: UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson resigns

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 pm

As I was saying, before the edit feature 'struck' again;
(Mick Travis's (Malcolm McDowell) entrance here got him the part of 'Alex' in 'A Clockwork Orange')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zun2v3YNe6E

Yes, easy to see how creatures like Johnson are made. Dishing it out, power for it's own sake.

Not all what are called 'Public Schools' here are like Eton, Harrow etc, there are smaller ones, less establishment so not outsized conduits to power.
But you are still left with just 7% of the population educated at these but with power and reach, not just in politics, way beyond that.
Not that Johnson, or failed actor/right wing thicko Laurence Fox (Harrow), or the once chief national FailSon Mark Thatcher (Harrow) are great adverts for these places you would have thought.

noviorbis77

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

All from your own perspective.

It was the perspective of the many voters that saw the largest Conservative majority since 1987.

If it wasn’t for Brexit, there was no Boris as PM.

tomcat

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

I don't follow the internal politics of any country except mine. For me, Johnson will remain as one of the main supporter of Ukraine. His actions and his positioning in the weeks and days preceding the Russian invasion have certainly helped Ukraine to avoid a major disaster. Ukraine will remain a free and democratic country in no small part thanks to Johnson (in sharp contrast with Macron / Scholz / Draghi) and will eventually join the EU which is quite ironic when we know Johnson's views on EU. Johnson was obviously not expecting anything in return from Ukraine
when he decided to help them.

Of course I've read many opinions from people in continental Europe talking about Perfidious Albion showing no restrain when it comes to fuel a war in Europe that would weaken the continental Europe and Russia altogether. My take is that these opinions are just reveling the self-induced weaknesses of the European countries (little investment in their defense, placing themselves in a great state of dependence from a Russian dictator,...) and I would surely not blame Johnson for helping Ukraine against the Russian agression.