Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B717fan
Topic Author

Boris Johnson done as Prime Minister?

Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:15 pm

It appears Boris Johnson has been dealt a major blow as the Chancellor Rishi Sunak and health secretary Sajid Javid have both resigned from his cabinet.
https://news.sky.com/story/sajid-javid- ... y-12646456
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwirob

Re: Boris Johnson done as Prime Minister?

Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:22 pm

I think he will survive a wee while longer, unless another few ministers resign this week then he’s toast.

art

Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:37 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I think he will survive a wee while longer, unless another few ministers resign this week then he’s toast.

Can't wait for the weekend. I like Boris being a lovable rogue. I loathe Boris being a prime minister.

Virtual737

Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:07 pm

He's done. The only thing keeping him in No 10 now is his stubborness.

scbriml

Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:37 pm

We can only hope he is done, but there will still be people defending the clown.

MrHMSH

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:27 pm

The absolute and utter farce from those still defending him boggles the mind. He has to go, he really should have never been in the post anyway, but this mistake - despite being quite apparent - has taken a long time to really be revealed and appreciated.

I despair.

A101

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
We can only hope he is done, but there will still be people defending the clown.

I think he will be gone by the end of the year, can’t see them not changing leaders before the next GE

QF7

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:19 am

I think he’s a dead man walking, to steal a phrase.

But as said by a poster in another forum, many view him as the “least worst” option. Who would replace him?

QF7

Aesma

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28 am

The Tories must now realize the gig is up. There is no way for them to win the next election, so better put someone more sensible at the top, continue to pass bills to reduce citizens' rights and shuffle money to friends, then take the loss in 2024.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 am

QF7 wrote:

But as said by a poster in another forum, many view him as the “least worst” option. Who would replace him?

QF7

Hopefully somebody sensible like Liz Truss or Nadine Dorries. :faint: :banghead:

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:43 am

Even The Daily Mail is slamming him! It's the end....

Source: https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpspr ... ge1-nc.jpg

But somehow, the Daily Express still supports him...
Source: https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpspr ... ess-nc.png

davidjohnson6

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:20 am

He'll survive at least until the autumn. Too many politicians have gone or will go to the beach over the summer for a real rebellion. Something may happen during party conference season in late September or early October

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:29 am

Further resignations this morning -

Will Quince MP, who was on TV repeating the lie "erroneous information" that Johnson was unaware of claims against Pincher.

Ministerial Aide Laura Trott has also resigned saying "trust in politics had been lost in recent months".

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62048657

hh65man

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:57 am

I could swear I was reading about another person, on another continent…in a galaxy far far away…. Really feels like déjà vu… :bigthumbsup:

Braybuddy

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:36 am

Hasn't this thread been posted before??? :scratchchin: :D

sabenapilot

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:57 am

Time for him to start distracting the public with his preferred topic about getting something particular done...

Surely there must be some issues with the application of some protocol he himself proposed as an unworkable alternative to the common sense solution so as to conveniently distract the British people from all of this? After all, it's how British politics has been going for the past 35 years or so, and it has always worked, so why shouldnt it this time?

Oh yes, this way of "refocussing" ultimately ran the entire country off a cliff and risks breaking it up in the wake of it, but hey - it did give a very nice career to a of Torries who'd otherwise would have been out of a job in no time due to utter incompetence or worse! Nothing beats some flagwaving in the end.

(insert notorious picture of Boris Johnson stuck on a cable, pathetically waving the flag here)

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:15 am

sabenapilot wrote:
Surely there must be some issues with the application of some protocol he himself proposed as an unworkable alternative to the common sense solution so as to conveniently distract the British people from all of this?

It's already in play - apparently all this chaos and scandal with ministers resigning left, right and centre, now means he can cut taxes!

Look, a squirrel! :banghead:

art

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:30 am

UK parliamentary recess starts 21st July. Will he be pushed out before then? I don't see how he would be ousted after that until parliament returns in September.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:01 am

More rats deserting the sinking ship...

There has been a flurry of fresh resignations in the past few hours, including justice minister Victoria Atkins and treasury minister John Glen

And another (same source):
Another ministerial resignation
Just as the prime minister got to his feet, yet another junior minister stepped down.

This time it was health minister Jo Churchill, who's the MP for Bury St Edmunds.

She says "the country and party deserve better".

ltbewr

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm

At least in the UK system of Government, unlike the USA, it is a lot easier to remove a corrupt and incompetent leader of the country. Johnson is up to his messy head hairs in corruption from his stupid 'party' during some of the worst days of the Pandemic in late 2020, his incompetency over Brexit (especially as to Northern Ireland), high inflation rates and so on. As others have noted it will either be in the next 2 weeks or from September onward his term will end with a vote of no-confidence. Of course some believe if he goes, the Tories will lose PM seats and control of Parliament to a collision of labour and other fringe parties that likely won't be any better and a PM who may be a bigger wanker than Johnson.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:30 pm

Full list of resignations as of just now:

Here's the full tally of who has resigned, and from where:

Cabinet ministers
Rishi Sunak - chancellor
Sajid Javid - health secretary

Ministers
Will Quince - minister for children and families
Alex Chalk - solicitor general
John Glen - Treasury minister
Victoria Atkins - Justice minister
Robin Walker - Education minister
Jo Churchill - Defra minister
Stuart Andrew - Housing minister

Ministerial aides
Laura Trott - parliamentary private secretary (PPS) to the Transport secretary
Jonathan Gullis - PPS to the Northern Ireland secretary
Saqib Bhatti - PPS to the Health secretary
Nicola Richards - PPS to the Department for Transport
Virginia Crosbie - PPS at the Welsh office
Felicity Buchan - PPS at the Business Department

Others
Bim Afolami - vice-chair of the Conservative Party
Theo Clarke - trade envoy to Kenya
Andrew Murrison - trade envoy to Morocco

Aesma

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:16 pm

I don't see how you can do worse than this government an PM, frankly. The only promise they kept is "get Brexit done", only in the strictest sense of the UK not being in the EU anymore, not in the sense that all work is done and everything is going smoothly. Levelling up ? Nothing. Not raising taxes ? Record taxes. Save the NHS ? NHS in the gutter. No corruption, no scandals ? Record amounts of both. And of course some of the laws that have been passed are quite outrageous for a leading democracy.

B717fan
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:35 pm

Michael Gove has told Boris that it's time to go.

GDB

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:06 pm

ltbewr wrote:
At least in the UK system of Government, unlike the USA, it is a lot easier to remove a corrupt and incompetent leader of the country. Johnson is up to his messy head hairs in corruption from his stupid 'party' during some of the worst days of the Pandemic in late 2020, his incompetency over Brexit (especially as to Northern Ireland), high inflation rates and so on. As others have noted it will either be in the next 2 weeks or from September onward his term will end with a vote of no-confidence. Of course some believe if he goes, the Tories will lose PM seats and control of Parliament to a collision of labour and other fringe parties that likely won't be any better and a PM who may be a bigger wanker than Johnson.

It might be easier to remove a Party Leader, who might also happen to be PM, not so his party, who in this case enabled him, for decades, knowing all along who and what he is.
A UK PM with a decent majority has powers of patronage a US President could only dream of.
I have loathed this c*** since he first squelched into public life, before he was even a MP.
I regard anyone who is or was ever fooled by him as being uniquely vulnerable to scam artists.
No wonder they too are doing well.

ElPistolero

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:23 pm

QF7 wrote:

QF7

It’s a questionable question. There’s no shortage of PM-level talent on the Tory front and back benches. The bar that’s been set by BoJo is so low, it won’t take much effort to find many “better “ options.

The real issue here is the fracture within the Tory party, with entrenched and polarized factions - populists (Truss/Dorries/Rees-Mogg types) and more ‘traditional’ Tories (the One Nation types, Sunak, Javid, May, Davis etc).

Anyone acceptable to one faction is de facto unacceptable to the other.

That isn’t a question of “least worse” option - it’s a manifestation of a Tory divide that sacrifices talent and competence for ideology. There are a few frontbenchers and backbenchers who would make solid PMs or PM candidates ten years ago. Unfortunately UK (and Tory) politics appears to be in a state of never-ending flux - how else can anyone explain a UK PM who’s behaviour has been found wanting almost continuously, and Cabinet ministers like Dorries…

Aesma

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:26 pm

"PM-level" maybe but not election-winning level ! The one thing BoJo was good at, and others seem unlikely to manage.

Now if I was one of them I would still go for it, the election is lost anyway so you'll have been PM for two years, be in the history books, and nobody will care that you lost the election.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:38 pm

The list of resignations continues to grow...

Six ministers, including Kemi Badenoch, Lee Rowley and Mims Davies, are the latest to quit - with five announcing their resignation at the same time
At least 27 ministers and aides have now resigned from government, after Javid and Rishi Sunak quit the cabinet on Tuesday

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:39 pm

B717fan wrote:
Michael Gove has told Boris that it's time to go.

You know things are bad when a despicable backstabber like Gove says it's time to go! :rotfl:

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:41 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
It’s a questionable question. There’s no shortage of PM-level talent on the Tory front and back benches. The bar that’s been set by BoJo is so low, it won’t take much effort to find many “better “ options.

It's a serious question and one that I'm itching to see the answer to. However, it's a talent pool that is so shallow it's almost evaporated.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Aesma wrote:
"PM-level" maybe but not election-winning level ! The one thing BoJo was good at, and others seem unlikely to manage.

Johnson was only ever going to win one very specific, single-issue General Election and it's the only reason he was elected by the Conservatives to replace May.

ElPistolero

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:52 pm

Aesma wrote:

Now if I was one of them I would still go for it, the election is lost anyway so you'll have been PM for two years, be in the history books, and nobody will care that you lost the election.

A required election is still some time away. Whether BoJo is still a winning proposition… is up in the air after the past few days.

Besides, how much of an election-winning PM do you need when you’re up against Starmer (who lobbed a grenade within his own party earlier this week), and Ed Davey?

ElPistolero

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:55 pm

scbriml wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:

It's a serious question and one that I'm itching to see the answer to. However, it's a talent pool that is so shallow it's almost evaporated.

Fair enough - it’s probably a very serious question for the ABCs (Anybody But Cs) :P.

But seriously, there are enough competent people in the Tory party right now to take the helm and keep the country going - probably in better fashion than this regime. Whether they’re electable as PMs … I think Trump and BoJo have demonstrated than just about anybody can get elected these days.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:59 pm

art wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Can't wait for the weekend. I like Boris being a lovable rogue. I loathe Boris being a prime minister.

We didn’t even need to wait for the weekend. I believe it’s now 32 members. The rats a jumping ship to save there own skins.
Last edited by Kiwirob on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Boris, note to self. Book the removal van for the weekend. :wave:

GDB

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:08 pm

This not professional but astute commentator sums up the whole madness of it all, importantly why too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLa_ePSMGfs

Inevitably;
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... cial-media

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:36 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
The rats a jumping ship to save there own skins.

Or, as Sir Keir Starmer put it, the sinking ship is deserting the rat!

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:38 pm

It looks like the pressure is getting too great...

BBC Breaking News:
Michael Gove, a senior member of the cabinet, tells Boris Johnson to step down as the number of ministers resigning grows

A group of cabinet ministers, including the chief whip, are about to deliver the same message, BBC News understands

At least 31 ministers and aides have now quit the government, including Sajid Javid and Rishi Sunak who resigned yesterday

ElPistolero

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:47 pm

He’s live on the Liaison Committee right now. And getting a few uncomfortable questions about this - if anyones interested.

Just got asked about the delegation waiting for him at 10 Downing Street, apparently to ask him to resign.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:58 pm

BBC reporting that Nadine Dorries has just arrived at No 10. As one of Johnson's most vocal supporters, I can only assume that if he goes, she'll feel compelled to resign as well? I'm an optimist!

B717fan
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
BBC reporting that Nadine Dorries has just arrived at No 10. As one of Johnson's most vocal supporters, I can only assume that if he goes, she'll feel compelled to resign as well? I'm an optimist!

She will NOT be calling for Boris to resign, from what I've read.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:04 pm

I'm sure Geoffrey Howe would have been proud of Sajid Javid... :-)

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:23 pm

B717fan wrote:
scbriml wrote:

She will NOT be calling for Boris to resign, from what I've read.

I'm sure she won't, she's not that smart. Hopefully Johnson's successor will demote her to a role that her intellect deserves.

GDB

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:12 pm

art

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm

Dozens of people saying they decline to continue working for a government led by Boris. What in the world makes him think he can continue? I think it is time he announced that he is resigning the position of PM to spend more time with his family.

B717fan
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:34 pm

EDIT: Brandon Lewis has NOT resigned.

scbriml

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:51 pm

BBC reporting that Johnson refuses to resign.

Dutchy

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:51 pm

BoJo is a political jester and jesters shouldnot be a king. It will always end in a disaster.

ReverseFlow

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:51 pm

Now it is reported that Gove has been sacked after telling Johnson to resign.

And apparently BoJo the Clown has got an economic announcement to make tomorrow.
All smoke and mirrors to distract from the crumbling Number 10 methinks.
It's the Trumpian tactic - distract with something new or even more outrageous. Hard to see what would be though.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... ive-latest
Last edited by ReverseFlow on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B717fan
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:52 pm

As if things weren't wild enough, BoJo just fired Michael Gove.

noviorbis77

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:48 pm

It is quite extraordinary.

He saved us from Corbyn. He helped us escape the EU.

However it is time to move on.

Step aside, time for change.