Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

leader1
Topic Author

World’s Thinnest Watch

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:59 pm

Any watch aficionados here? Richard Mille has released the world’s thinnest watch, measuring a minuscule 1.75mm thick. It beat the previous record holder, the Bulgari Octo Finissimo Ultra, by 0.05mm. It’ll cost you, though, a cool $1.9M.

Any takers?

https://www.maxim.com/style/richard-mil ... est-watch/

TheFlyingDisk

Re: World’s Thinnest Watch

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:20 am

It looks cheap, and that's not good for a $1.9 million watch!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:32 am

I can think of 1.9 million other ways to splurge on a watch. Plus, the actual portion that really tells you the time only occupies about 15% of the total real estate?

It's a fad - remember pre-smartphones, Nokia held the crown for the smallest mobile/cellular phone. Small was good then. Now, it's the opposite - bigger screens are better....

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:00 am

I love watches but this is a hard no from me.

M564038

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:16 pm

Watches does nothing for me, but this one was really something. Very cool, and on the shopping list when I win the lottery. (Slightly dependent on the amount won)

casinterest

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:58 pm

It's an exclusive club for people with money to waste. There is no real functionality there, just prestige in ordering a rare 50$ worth of materials device, with maybe 500$ of labor.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 pm

Wish I had the money to buy one, at which point I wouldn't buy one.

vikkyvik

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:20 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Wish I had the money to buy one, at which point I wouldn't buy one.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

889091 wrote:
Plus, the actual portion that really tells you the time only occupies about 15% of the total real estate?

Yep. 1.9 million so I can strain my eyes to tell the time.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:21 pm

casinterest wrote:
It's an exclusive club for people with money to waste. There is no real functionality there, just prestige in ordering a rare 50$ worth of materials device, with maybe 500$ of labor.

I’d imagine the investment in time and research to make this movement would run to some serious cash, a Swiss watchmaker would be a lot more expensive than $500 in labour, this isn’t a machine made movement, it’s hand made/assembled and finished, that said it’s not my cup of tea.

northstardc4m

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 pm

For 1.9 million you could buy a whole collection of high end watches AND the house to put them in.

And I agree this thing is ugly. The actually watch face is a tiny circle on a huge flat surface. It’s bragging and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pellegrine

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:11 pm

Nah, the Bulgari Octo Finissimo Ultra (limited to 10 @ $440k) is 1.80mm and actually has style. Bulgari says they could go to 1.5mm but it would sacrifice practicality. Piaget AUC is 2.00mm (not sure about price).

Richard Mille's aren't technically nor aesthetically interesting watches...they're just for people that want to show they have a million dollars literally on their wrist.

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:36 pm

"Honey! Throw me a bandage - I accidentally cut my wrist!" :banghead:

cpd

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:19 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
For 1.9 million you could buy a whole collection of high end watches AND the house to put them in.

And I agree this thing is ugly. The actually watch face is a tiny circle on a huge flat surface. It’s bragging and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.9m won’t even get you a single highest end watch. ;)

This one I don’t like to be honest.

LittleFokker

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 pm

Does anyone still rely on a watch to tell time? I occasionally look at mine for time, but just as, if not more frequently look at my phone for time. Watches are basically just a fashion statement at this point, and the statement for this watch is jibberish. And please don't get me started on Apple Watches, they're ugly as shit, and I don't comprehend their functionality (and I have known a few people who wear one).

casinterest

Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:33 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I’d imagine the investment in time and research to make this movement would run to some serious cash, a Swiss watchmaker would be a lot more expensive than $500 in labour, this isn’t a machine made movement, it’s hand made/assembled and finished, that said it’s not my cup of tea.

It still isn't a million dollars worth, unless they paid a crapload for the tooling. And if so, running a limited supply of watches, the owners are paying for other people's houses instead of a watch.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:25 pm

The thing with watches is that I find once they reach a certain price point, design just gets gaudy.

Kent350787

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Does anyone still rely on a watch to tell time? I occasionally look at mine for time, but just as, if not more frequently look at my phone for time. Watches are basically just a fashion statement at this point, and the statement for this watch is jibberish. And please don't get me started on Apple Watches, they're ugly as shit, and I don't comprehend their functionality (and I have known a few people who wear one).

My 14yo in particular keeps pushing that I should get a "smart" watch. "But dad, you can pay for things, read your messages and get health info on your watch. I respond that my main watch (a modded Seiko automatic) tells the approximate time - and date if I remember to reset for the month. :)

This new watch seems and amazing piece of engineering. Someone is usually willing to pay for that acheivement.

WesternDC6B

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:36 pm

This watch sounds like so many other things that exist: the answer to a question it never occurred to me to ask.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:38 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
My 14yo in particular keeps pushing that I should get a "smart" watch. "But dad, you can pay for things, read your messages and get health info on your watch.

I despise smart watches. Have zero desire to have my wrist buzz every time I get a stupid text or email. Have zero desire to spend hundreds of dollars on a useless piece of technology that will only have a few years of a life span and needs to be charged every day.

Classa64

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:00 am

LittleFokker wrote:

I do look at my watch all the time, cant stand digital watches or looking for my phone, nail on the head with the apple watch lol. . Some are surprised actually when they go "Oh crap do you have your phone, what time is it?" I look at my watch that's always on me, I don't take my phone everywhere so :)

This watch however is just plain ugly and at 1.9m, No.

C

petertenthije

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:57 am

A technological marvel it might well be, but damn that thing’s ugly.

Richard Mille are not quite in my price range yet (*cough*), so that’s probably why I did not know them. I’ve just spend 20 or so minutes going through photos of their watches. I have yet to find a watch of theirs that’s aesthetically pleasing.

c933103

Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:43 am

1.75mm thick?
Wouldn't something like a transparent OLED screen be thinner than that?

Francoflier

Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:32 am

I find it ironic that RM would come up with this one, given most of the rest of their lineup consists of huge and rather gaudy watches.
I love watches but I've never liked RM, not that I could afford one.

That competition between manufacturers for the thinnest mechanical watch started a little while ago and is purely for bragging rights. The only decent looking one of the bunch is the Piaget Altiplano, which is also much cheaper and actually usable, unlike this thing which risks bending or snapping in half the moment you bump it on something meaning no one will ever dare wear it.

The world of ultra expensive watches is completely insane anyway. None of it appeals to me. Even if I woke up tomorrow with Jeff Bezos money somehow, I wouldn't waste any of it on these things.

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:20 am

casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It still isn't a million dollars worth, unless they paid a crapload for the tooling. And if so, running a limited supply of watches, the owners are paying for other people's houses instead of a watch.

The development time for this watch was over 6000 hours, each watch takes 45 hours to assemble

B777LRF

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:39 am

There are very few brands I’d throw serious money at, and Richard Mille is certainly not one of them.

I have a choice of two IWC to carry on my wrist, both of which does a wonderful job of telling me the time and date of the month and absolutely nothing else, apart from looking good. And that’s all I want a watch to do, to be honest. However, should I be so lucky and come into a lot of money, or just decide to do save up a large sum, I might go for something with a few more complications than time/date. But more than anything it’s aesthetic, understatement and technology which fascinates me, and that leads me back to the “few brands”: IWC, Patek Philippe, Lange & Söhne, with a distinct preference for the former and latter.

Trouble with wanting a Lange or a Patek is, well, the price. Lange starts at around 20K EUR, but the model I want (Saxonia) is between 50 and 500K. And that’s just silly money for a watch; the 5K and 8K I paid for the IWCs is already way over the top on any scale of reasonableness.

cpd

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:50 am

Francoflier wrote:
The world of ultra expensive watches is completely insane anyway. None of it appeals to me. Even if I woke up tomorrow with Jeff Bezos money somehow, I wouldn't waste any of it on these things.

I still think a limited production Patek is definitely worth it, like those double-sided super-complicated watches. I really admire the work that goes into designing and engineering one of those, then building it. It's extremely interesting and immensely detailed work. Those people building them are brilliant.

Mechanical watch with mechanical chimes and many other features, all mechanical from one mechanism.

c933103

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The development time for this watch was over 6000 hours, each watch takes 45 hours to assemble

6000 hours is roughly 40 people working 1 month full time.

Pellegrine

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:48 pm

B777LRF wrote:
There are very few brands I’d throw serious money at, and Richard Mille is certainly not one of them.

I have a choice of two IWC to carry on my wrist, both of which does a wonderful job of telling me the time and date of the month and absolutely nothing else, apart from looking good. And that’s all I want a watch to do, to be honest. However, should I be so lucky and come into a lot of money, or just decide to do save up a large sum, I might go for something with a few more complications than time/date. But more than anything it’s aesthetic, understatement and technology which fascinates me, and that leads me back to the “few brands”: IWC, Patek Philippe, Lange & Söhne, with a distinct preference for the former and latter.

Trouble with wanting a Lange or a Patek is, well, the price. Lange starts at around 20K EUR, but the model I want (Saxonia) is between 50 and 500K. And that’s just silly money for a watch; the 5K and 8K I paid for the IWCs is already way over the top on any scale of reasonableness.

I like IWC and your list. I'd add Vacheron Constantin to it though.

casinterest

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

So in china that is less that 500 dollars of labor :)
Even if we say is is 100 dollars an hour of labor, that is still less than 5 grand per watch.
The development time of say 7000 hours leads to 700,000 stretched over 145 watches, so another ~5K there.
So maybe 15-20 Grand when all markups are done. Still overpriced for what it aesthetically offers and does.

jetwet1

Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:10 pm

I will be the first to admit I am a watch whore, however, I don't get this one. It just screams to me "look, I have money to waste.

ACDC8 wrote:
The thing with watches is that I find once they reach a certain price point, design just gets gaudy.

I agree to a point, some of the high end Rolexes just go overboard with diamonds etc, however, take a look at a Petak Philippe Nautilus. Classic looking watch built to insane standards with a price to match.

leader1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:12 am

A lot of luxury watches are actually a good investment. As soon as you buy something like a generic Rolex Sub, the value goes up at least 20%. Some manufacturers like AP and Richard Mille purposely release limited quantities to inflate demand and a lot of grey market dealers inflated the prices by an insane amount. As a result, prices have gone down a lot the last few months, but it’s still a good investment nonetheless.

Also, the craftsmanship in some of these pieces is insane. I probably wouldn’t buy these thin watches, but oh man, the amount of work that goes into making them. I have nothing but respect for the watch makers.

With that being said, as much as I love some of these pieces and an a huge fan of their craftsmanship, I don’t personally own one. I only have the most basic Apple Watch and only because I need to keep up with my health stats and the Apple Watch syncs best with my iPhone. But I would not rule out buying a nice Swiss watch down the line. Probably not one of these super thin pieces. I would go out of my way to check them out in person, though.

So anyways, the are the three thinnest watches. Personally, I like the Bulgari. Really sweet looking piece.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfuP1S3LYY_ ... MyMTA2M2Y=

leader1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:26 am

jetwet1 wrote:
I will be the first to admit I am a watch whore, however, I don't get this one. It just screams to me "look, I have money to waste.

ACDC8 wrote:

I agree to a point, some of the high end Rolexes just go overboard with diamonds etc, however, take a look at a Petak Philippe Nautilus. Classic looking watch built to insane standards with a price to match.

I really hate it when people “ice out” their watches. They looks stupid and gaudy. And funny thing is that they actually lose value according to a jeweler friend of mine. He always discourages clients from doing that because they end up getting bored of the watch and when they want to sell it, there are no takers because they’ve been tampered with too much.

ACDC8

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:30 am

jetwet1 wrote:

Oh for sure, some can still remain classy and elegant, but if you ever watch Producer Michael on YouTube, geezus :shakehead: :yuck: