Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alex0easy
Topic Author

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe fatally shot

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:11 am

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 022-07-08/
His condition doesn't look good. Japanese media are reporting that Abe's heart and lung functions have stopped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdp1PeW1tdQ
Last edited by qf789 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New information

ltbewr

Re: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 am

He was in the city of Nara, while speaking during campaigning for other members of his party. He was not a candidate himself. It occurred about 11 AM local time (10:30 PM Thursday US EDT). What would be the reason to assassinate a former PM of Japan ? Some nationalist extremist ? The alleged assassin has been detained. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/japa ... -rcna37228

alberchico

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:31 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/rawsalerts/s ... 3703152640

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottMStedma ... 4562974721

Footage of the shooting and the immediate aftermath.

Edit: He appears to be alive for now.

Edit: The shooter being captured by police.Looks like he used a crude homemade shotgun:

https://mobile.twitter.com/aus_forum/st ... 1369025536
Last edited by alberchico on Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEAorPWM

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:47 am

Guy on CNN has said he was shot in the chest and is having cardio/pulmonary issues. No indication of him passing.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:58 am

Very rare event here. There was a successful shooting assassination of the then-PM in the early 1930s.

Francoflier

Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:14 am

This is quite shocking and sad in a country where gun violence is almost unheard of. I hope he pulls through.

cpd

Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:01 am

alex0easy wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/japan-ex-prime-minister-abe-may-have-been-shot-taken-hospital-nhk-2022-07-08/
His condition doesn't look good. Japanese media are reporting that Abe's heart and lung functions have stopped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdp1PeW1tdQ

That is very sad and shocking. Fingers are crossed. I understand he was already suffering health problems. :(

cpd

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:07 am

Very sorry to relay that he is dead: https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/forme ... 5b06j.html

RIP Shinzo Abe - 1954-2022.
Last edited by cpd on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

alex0easy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:08 am

Aesma

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:13 am

Abe was a nationalist (some would say far right) so I'm not sure why someone on that side would be the culprit.

A101

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:49 am

alex0easy wrote:

If true sad to here and condolence to the family

RIP

sierrakilo44

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:20 am

Aesma wrote:
Abe was a nationalist (some would say far right) so I'm not sure why someone on that side would be the culprit.

Looking at his rhetoric Abe was a definite nationalist. Honoured the Class A war criminals at the Yasukuni Shrine (also visited by far right westerners like Le Pen and the BNP leader), downplayed the existence of “comfort women” (sex slaves of the IJA), he pushed for school education to teach a less critical view of Japan’s actions in WW2.

He was also praised by Steve Bannon as the “first nationalist leader”.

c933103

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:36 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Looking at his rhetoric Abe was a definite nationalist. Honoured the Class A war criminals at the Yasukuni Shrine (also visited by far right westerners like Le Pen and the BNP leader), downplayed the existence of “comfort women” (sex slaves of the IJA), he pushed for school education to teach a less critical view of Japan’s actions in WW2.

Not sure where Steve Bannon came from but okay

leader1

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:03 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Yeah, what does Steve Bannon have to do with this? Steve Bannon has also praised Putin and Xi, but you’re totally cool with that, right?

leader1

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:06 am

c933103 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Not sure where Steve Bannon came from but okay

He’s a wannabe White Wumao. I would expect nothing less from him. Bannon also heaped praise on Xi and Putin, but you won’t hear a peep from this guy about that.

ltbewr

Re: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe fatally shot

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:42 am

There seems to be no motive disclosed so far as to this assassination of Mr. Abe. Japan's justice system is very harsh and the detained alleged assistant could get the death penalty Yes, Japan still has the death penalty, done by hanging, several are done every year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_p ... t_in_Japan .
It will be interesting how his funeral arrangements will be, many of us are not familiar with their rituals, if a public ceremony or a private one. Mr. Abe does have some controversies as to his conservative political views, as other posters noted above and he was respected for them. This assassination took place in a country with extremely strict gun laws, but if someone is determined they will get a gun somehow, even illegally, they will do so. The infrequency of gun murders in Japan makes this assassination very shocking.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:45 am

ltbewr wrote:
There seems to be no motive disclosed so far as to this assassination of Mr. Abe. Japan's justice system is very harsh and the detained alleged assistant could get the death penalty Yes, Japan still has the death penalty, done by hanging, several are done every year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_p ... t_in_Japan .
It will be interesting how his funeral arrangements will be, many of us are not familiar with their rituals, if a public ceremony or a private one. Mr. Abe does have some controversies as to his conservative political views, as other posters noted above and he was respected for them. This assassination took place in a country with extremely strict gun laws, but if someone is determined they will get a gun somehow, even illegally, they will do so. The infrequency of gun murders in Japan makes this assassination very shocking.

The perp did not acquire a gun. He is ex-Japanese Navy and he built a crude homemade shotgun that was used in the attack. You basically need Yakuza connections to acquire an illegal firearm here.

alberchico

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:11 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/JISOT1968/st ... 0760803328

Everything happened in a matter of seconds. The fact that Japan has so little gun violence means that his security team was not prepared for this.

casinterest

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:38 pm

Always Tragic when someone's life is taken so callously.
It doesn't make much sense to me as Abe was out of power, and was of course still politically active, but not running things.

johns624

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:49 pm

alberchico wrote:
The fact that Japan has so little gun violence means that his security team was not prepared for this.
BS. A security team should be ready for anything. They are trained to be ready for the unexpected. The homemade "firearm" wasn't exactly small and concealble.

GDB

Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:35 pm

johns624 wrote:
alberchico wrote:
The fact that Japan has so little gun violence means that his security team was not prepared for this.
BS. A security team should be ready for anything. They are trained to be ready for the unexpected. The homemade "firearm" wasn't exactly small and concealble.

Japan does not have a recent history of political assassins, the last potential one I could think of was that ultra nationalist poet who committed hari kari in 1970.
Was the same here, first and last PM murdered was in 1812 by a deranged failed businessman.
There had been some threats, usually linked to Ireland and India prior to WW2, one post that conflict were threats to the British Foreign Secretary from Zionist terrorists.

But from the late 60’s, that started to change, PM Harold Wilson liked to introduce a burly Special Branch Officer, ‘this is Fred, his job is to shoot the bloke who shoots me’.
Ironically it was his government who had to provide troops when Northern Ireland erupted, this would, along with Middle Eastern and Baader Meinhof types mean more security.
Long after their terms in office, for the rest of their lives, previous PM’s and others like Northern Ireland Secretaries had bodyguards.

But Japan? When did the Japanese Red Army finally fizzle out?
The 1970’s?
My point, political assassins are nowhere in recent Japanese history, much less for a former PM.

CometII

Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:47 pm

Very tragic, no matter what the politics, for the family and loved ones. I'm also sorry to be the first to point this out, but any aspiring future politician should consider a name change if they have Abe, or any name that can thus be shortened, in their name...

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:59 pm

GDB wrote:
johns624 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

Japan does not have a recent history of political assassins, the last potential one I could think of was that ultra nationalist poet who committed hari kari in 1970.
Was the same here, first and last PM murdered was in 1812 by a deranged failed businessman.
There had been some threats, usually linked to Ireland and India prior to WW2, one post that conflict were threats to the British Foreign Secretary from Zionist terrorists.

But from the late 60’s, that started to change, PM Harold Wilson liked to introduce a burly Special Branch Officer, ‘this is Fred, his job is to shoot the bloke who shoots me’.
Ironically it was his government who had to provide troops when Northern Ireland erupted, this would, along with Middle Eastern and Baader Meinhof types mean more security.
Long after their terms in office, for the rest of their lives, previous PM’s and others like Northern Ireland Secretaries had bodyguards.

The 1970’s?
My point, political assassins are nowhere in recent Japanese history, much less for a former PM.

Didn't Nagasaki have a mayor assassinated in the late 90s? (Yakuza related maybe.)That is the only thing I can recall in the last 40 years or so.

GDB

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
GDB wrote:
johns624 wrote:

The 1970’s?

Didn't Nagasaki have a mayor assassinated in the late 90s? (Yakuza related maybe.)That is the only thing I can recall in the last 40 years or so.

A left wing politician was stabbed to death by a far right extremist in 1960, that few if any come to mind shows how this, as well as gun crime in general in Japan, is extremely rare.
It was a home made thing that killed the former PM, an ex military guy could not get a firearm legally or otherwise.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 pm

It was 07, I was off on the dates.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iccho_Itoh

Aaron747

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:50 pm

GDB wrote:
johns624 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

The 1970’s?

No history of political attack to speak of but there is history of absolutely wacko domestic terrorist activity with political motivation (the Aum cult etc). LE in Japan takes terrorism seriously - to the extent embassy buildings are well protected with heavy public security presence and trash bins have been removed from nearly all train stations for years.

c933103

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:30 pm

Recall Narita Airport

FlyingSicilian

Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:42 pm

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/shi ... l-violence

Article on some other history of political violence in Japan.

c933103

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:13 pm

Repost:
As the motivation of the assassination is reportedly caused by anger against Korean Unification Church, of which Abe was alleged to have link to, (like giving congratulations?), I don't think it is relevant to discuss political violence.

https://www.ft.com/content/a31f0f6d-39c ... 7f773d56d4

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:55 am

GDB wrote:
johns624 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

Actually, the last assassination attempt at a former Japanese Prime Minister was in 1994, when a right wing extremist tried to kill former PM Hosokawa for apologizing for Japanese atrocities in WW2.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Coincidentally, Abe's grandfather (who was also PM) also had an assassination attempt, although instead of a gun he had to face a knife wielding assailant.

c933103

Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:26 am

According to this report: (To avoid copyright issue, I am only extracting some key facts being mentioned instead of translating the article):
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/f70b1 ... b8043f61b6

It's said that the murderer targeted Abe because he watched Abe's speech on YouTube praising UPF's vision on peace and family value, as well as expressing gratitude to UPF's leader who is the wife of Korean Unification Church's founder in term of their effort to help settle conflicts around the world and work toward peaceful unification of Korean Peninsula, in one of the organization's online meeting last year, with UPF being an associated organization of the Korean Unification Church. According to cult analysts in the report, since the speech was given shortly after Abe quitted his position as Prime Minister, it might lead to the murderer believing that such speech is an endorsement toward the church.

Source in the article said the murderer's family used to own some real estates and a construction company, but murder's mother being a follower of the Church, sold all the real estates and donated the money to the Church in year 1998 after she inherited family wealth, later declaring bankrupt. And the murderer quitted university around the same time period. On the other hand, the report also quoted investigators who said the murderer learned how to make guns and explosives by following tutorial on YouTube, hence didn't take long to make them.

-----

What can be done to stop these cults?