Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation

Re: Musk, Twitter News and Discussion Thread

Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:20 pm

casinterest wrote:
I am still using twitter as I had in the past, but I have to wonder if Meta and Google now see an opening to take over the public town hall arena.

That's an interesting thought.

Google's strategy in anything to do with messaging has been a total mess.

Meta seems to be more interested in "social" rather than Twitter's strength, which is "breaking news".

But, still, the question should be asked by stockholders: the takeover took months to evolve, what are you doing to take advantage of the mess Elon has created?

LittleFokker

Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:22 pm

casinterest wrote:
I am still using twitter as I had in the past, but I have to wonder if Meta and Google now see an opening to take over the public town hall arena.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/meta ... 022-11-09/

Meta having it's own troubles. 11,000 people is a pretty substantial layoff. Facebook has a lot of dead users (profiles that have been abandoned) and I think it's starting to reflect in its ad sales. I think the opportunity is for a new company to come in and fill a void left by Twitter.

GDB

Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:23 pm

Speaking of interests, Tim Dodd who many will know from his You Tube site 'Everyday Astronaut', was mentioned in a UK newspaper report (Guardian) on Twitter, when Musk was suggesting YT channels with large followings (his had over a million subscribers) should move to Twitter.
Dodd was interested only as quoted it could host his longer form videos.
I know he was granted access by Musk, several times, however so have Peter Beck of Rocketlab, other start ups and the previous NASA Administrator.

I wonder if Dodd is still mulling a move to Twitter now?

leader1

Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:49 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
casinterest wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/meta ... 022-11-09/

Meta having it's own troubles. 11,000 people is a pretty substantial layoff. Facebook has a lot of dead users (profiles that have been abandoned) and I think it's starting to reflect in its ad sales. I think the opportunity is for a new company to come in and fill a void left by Twitter.

Apple's app tracking changes hurt Facebook more than anything else. Most Facebook users access it through their iPhones or iPads. Apple killing apps' tracking features hurt Facebook advertisers, and thus the company's revenue. They were printing money before. And Tim Cook did it to pretty much screw Zuckerberg. The two can't stand each other and Cook blames Zuckerberg for a lot of the societal division we see. Can't say he's wrong.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22929715/fac ... ta-privacy

My brother-in-law works for Facebook (I'll never be "Meta" to me). He tells me they're doubling down on the "Metaverse". Indeed, they were one of the few units largely spared from the recent layoffs. Zuckerberg seems to think that will save the company.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:

That's an interesting thought.

Google's strategy in anything to do with messaging has been a total mess.

Meta seems to be more interested in "social" rather than Twitter's strength, which is "breaking news".

But, still, the question should be asked by stockholders: the takeover took months to evolve, what are you doing to take advantage of the mess Elon has created?

Slightly off topic, but breaking news versus solid information has played out at New Yorker, to which I no .longer subscribe. It used to be that after some big event happened, a year, two or three later one of their authoritative writers would have got exclusive interviews with all sorts of insiders and then write that story with all facts ultra-established and in the most readable way. Now they do way too much 'breaking news'. Res twitter, Washington State DOT and forestry use twitter in a super manner, up to date information on fire watches and alerts, roads out etc. Its not the 'last word, but what you need to do in the next hour or two, in many cases, to stay alive.

skyservice_330

Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:31 pm

I am of two views on all this -

As a long time Twitter user / lurker, I would miss the app if it wasn't around. I don't tweet, but I follow pretty much every one and their brother and it is a great way to hear different voices, see people interact, stay up to date on things etc.

On the other hand, Musk truly does come off as a world class a**hole. There would be something pretty amusing and entertaining about watching a guy with such a humility deficit torch their own reputation by blowing up a $44B investment all because of their own hubris and ego.

Revelation

Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:31 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Slightly off topic, but breaking news versus solid information has played out at New Yorker, to which I no .longer subscribe. It used to be that after some big event happened, a year, two or three later one of their authoritative writers would have got exclusive interviews with all sorts of insiders and then write that story with all facts ultra-established and in the most readable way. Now they do way too much 'breaking news'. Res twitter, Washington State DOT and forestry use twitter in a super manner, up to date information on fire watches and alerts, roads out etc. Its not the 'last word, but what you need to do in the next hour or two, in many cases, to stay alive.

I agree, most media has moved away from "think pieces" towards "breaking news".

The problem is, once it's all about breaking news, they lose their relevance since there's so many different places/methods to get breaking news.

GDB

Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Another day in the Twitterverse, though with him in charge you can swap the first 'i' in that title for an 'a'.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... g-hardcore

scbriml

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 pm

GDB wrote:
Another day in the Twitterverse, though with him in charge you can swap the first 'i' in that title for an 'a'.

It would be hilarious if they all just left.

casinterest

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
GDB wrote:

It would be hilarious if they all just left.

I would take the 3 months severence pay.

speedygonzales

Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:48 pm

GDB wrote:

Elon's way of saying he doesn't know how productivity works without actually saying he doesn't know how productivity works.

casinterest

Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:14 am

This is like a death spiral.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63672307

In a message seen by the BBC, workers were told that the offices would reopen on Monday 21 November.

It did not given a reason for the move.

The announcement comes amid reports that large numbers of staff were quitting after new owner Elon Musk called on them to sign up for "long hours at high intensity" or leave.

I would have joined the ones that quit. Trump is insulting a belittling people that gave their effort to that company prior to his narcisstic take over.
Those who did not sign up by Thursday would be given three months' severance pay, Mr Musk said.

One Twitter worker who wished to remain anonymous told the BBC that they had resigned even though they had been prepared to take on the increased workload demanded by Mr Musk.

"I didn't want to work for someone who threatened us over email multiple times about only 'exceptional tweeps should work here' when I was already working 60-70 hours weekly," they said.

Revelation

Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:54 am

Tonight, #RIPTwitter is trending, ironic or not.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3740973-ri ... -collapse/

If you want irony:

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1593433763736080384

Also, more coverage:

https://www.mediaite.com/tech/riptwitte ... ster-plan/

Source: https://am12.mediaite.com/med/cnt/uploa ... sign-6.png from the proceeding linked article, which is pretty good.

Also, claims that Musk is paranoid: https://www.mediaite.com/news/twitter-e ... -sabotage/

A lot of the people I follow are writing short eulogies to Twitter, and are providing pointers to other social media sites.

My favorite goodbye tweet:

Hoping Elon Musk will rehabilitate the NRA next (praying hands)
#RIPTwitter

Ref: https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/statu ... 3695194118

Newark727

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:53 am

This has been a very strange thing to watch. I'm not even sure what to compare it to.

...the Trump-Hughes Memorial Deranged Billionaire Speedrun?

Revelation

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:35 am

Francoflier

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:12 am

Threatening, pressuring, overworking and micromanaging employees to within an inch of their lives only to then take credit for their hard work has been a Musk trademark in all his companies since the start.

It is less evident when the company is built from the ground up with that ethos but a lot more so when he tries to apply it in an already existing business...

I hope most employees do not give in to the threats and coercion and leave what will essentially become a tech sweatshop but I feel bad for those who will have to stay out of desperation for a paycheck ( I assume that's the only reason one would stay). Although I'm sure even they will be dusting off their resumes.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:59 am

Francoflier wrote:
Threatening, pressuring, overworking and micromanaging employees to within an inch of their lives only to then take credit for their hard work has been a Musk trademark in all his companies since the start.

It is less evident when the company is built from the ground up with that ethos but a lot more so when he tries to apply it in an already existing business...

I hope most employees do not give in to the threats and coercion and leave what will essentially become a tech sweatshop but I feel bad for those who will have to stay out of desperation for a paycheck ( I assume that's the only reason one would stay). Although I'm sure even they will be dusting off their resumes.

Twitter has been quite selective in their hiring over the last 3-4 years, especially for management and tech positions. Anyone with Twitter as most recent CV entry would be quite competitive now, with bonus points for having left on principle when new ownership abandoned mission entirely.

Musk just continues to redefine ‘failing forward’ with each passing moment.

His ultimatum email broke at least three employment laws (federal and CA state law) simultaneously.

GDB

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:32 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Twitter has been quite selective in their hiring over the last 3-4 years, especially for management and tech positions. Anyone with Twitter as most recent CV entry would be quite competitive now, with bonus points for having left on principle when new ownership abandoned mission entirely.

His ultimatum email broke at least three employment laws (federal and CA state law) simultaneously.

Those broken laws, any chance of any action at all, or has the Kleptocracy totally taken over?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcvfHa ... G9P5LyyRBj

Reinhardt

Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:54 am

Elon laid off the guy responsible for staff access to offices. Elon then called him, asked him to come back and fix it.

https://twitter.com/anothercohen/status ... 1832338442

Rumours today that hundreds more resigned yesterday and there could be only a few hundred left. Last night people all over twitter were tweeting different ways to contact them incase Twitter went offline.

I really think he's lost the plot.

scbriml

Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:19 am

Reinhardt wrote:
Elon laid off the guy responsible for staff access to offices. Elon then called him, asked him to come back and fix it.

https://twitter.com/anothercohen/status ... 1832338442.

I saw that! You honestly couldn't make this shit up. :rotfl:

Aaron747

Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:50 am

GDB wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Those broken laws, any chance of any action at all, or has the Kleptocracy totally taken over?

Always a chance some suits have already kicked off - employment lawyers live for this shit.

1. Federal and CA law require notification including reasonable accommodation of work hours for disabled employees, of which Twitter likely has scores.

2. Federal and CA law require adequate notification periods for working mothers regarding changes to hours - so gender discrimination too.

3. CA FEHA requires 21-day consideration periods for severance options (not 24 hours), and 40 days if done in a group termination setting.

phatfarmlines

Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:03 pm

So how long until Elon Musk moves Twitter out of San Francisco in his next "I'll show you!" move?

speedygonzales

Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 pm

Rolling Stone wrote:
All Twitter Offices Closed as Hundreds of Employees Resign
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/twitter-offices-shut-down-employees-resign-1234632854/

Aesma

Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:38 pm

Some days ago he says "either you come work at the office or you're fired", since he hates remote work (same happened at Tesla).

Then yesterday he closes the offices.

Makes total sense.

Revelation

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:31 pm

Francoflier wrote:

The same can be said of Steve Jobs, another 'tech bro'.

Agree.

Another reason: immigration status.

It's hard to switch jobs in the US till you get the green card. Lots of the people here on work visas have their partners and families local so losing a job can mean making life-changing decisions for them and their families. Others are supporting their families in their home countries. Most will prefer to gut it out rather than to leave.

Basically, Twitter will be now run largely by indentured servants needing to work at high intensity on 80+ hour weeks to avoid being deported.

hh65man

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:40 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
So how long until Elon Musk moves Twitter out of San Francisco in his next "I'll show you!" move?

Yup, straight to Texas… :roll:

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:49 pm

The difference between Tesla and Twitter is Tesla was one of the first movers in their realm and they offer a physical product (shoddily built but whatever, that hasn't stopped other auto manufacturers from doing well) that has taken time for competitors to replicate.

At least Musky can't run for POTUS.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:53 pm

luckyone wrote:
The difference between Tesla and Twitter is Tesla was one of the first movers in their realm and they offer a physical product (shoddily built but whatever, that hasn't stopped other auto manufacturers from doing well) that has taken time for competitors to replicate.

At least Musky can't run for POTUS.

True, but Twitter is a pretty powerful social media tool so he can have a ton of influence on who gets in.

Twitter will not go away. He has a few options. Zuckerburg just cut 10,000 jobs just down the street in Menlo Park, I am sure many of those people would love to have a job at Twitter. He can move the companies operation to India and pay them a few dollars a day. If he realizes he's in over his head, he can sell (but thats not likely). But Twitter is here to stay.

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:17 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

True, but Twitter is a pretty powerful social media tool so he can have a ton of influence on who gets in.

Twitter will not go away. He has a few options. Zuckerburg just cut 10,000 jobs just down the street in Menlo Park, I am sure many of those people would love to have a job at Twitter. He can move the companies operation to India and pay them a few dollars a day. If he realizes he's in over his head, he can sell (but thats not likely). But Twitter is here to stay.

Twitter will survive in some form, but Elon's reputation as a jerk and a bad employer is now greatly enhanced, so finding top notch people will be more difficult. Turnover is high at all his companies, for that reason.

As far as India, he just laid off 90% of the Twitter workforce there, and gave them less severance than he claimed publicly, so not really an option. He's viewed as a jerk there as well.

The thing about karma is that it always comes back around to the person who behaves badly toward others. Elon may be the richest person in the world, but he's not immune from the consequences of his own actions.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:22 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Twitter will survive in some form, but Elon's reputation as a jerk and a bad employer is now greatly enhanced, so finding top notch people will be more difficult. Turnover is high at all his companies, for that reason.

As far as India, he just laid off 90% of the Twitter workforce there, and gave them less severance than he claimed publicly, so not really an option. He's viewed as a jerk there as well.

The thing about karma is that it always comes back around to the person who behaves badly toward others. Elon may be the richest person in the world, but he's not immune from the consequences of his own actions.

I did not know he cut jobs in India. But agree his employment practices are horrible. Pretty much slave labor. I knew a few people that worked at the gigafactory in Nevada and they are scheduled 12 hour days and frequently subjected to mandatory overtime.

StarAC17

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Always a chance some suits have already kicked off - employment lawyers live for this shit.

1. Federal and CA law require notification including reasonable accommodation of work hours for disabled employees, of which Twitter likely has scores.

2. Federal and CA law require adequate notification periods for working mothers regarding changes to hours - so gender discrimination too.

3. CA FEHA requires 21-day consideration periods for severance options (not 24 hours), and 40 days if done in a group termination setting.

The lawyers are cashing in and Musk is likely settling every lawsuit behind closed doors. I don't think he wants a class action for wrongful dismissal.

I know US labour laws aren't as necessarily as strong as other developed nations but simply changing the terms of employment on a whim is called a constructive dismissal.
Musk has been proactive regarding the severance but some of these senior employees are likely entitled to much more than than 3 months. I don't know how much on-demand/at will employment holds up in court to eliminate or minimize severance packages.

To add fuel to the fire.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-11-17/

If you have Tesla stock I would probably sell it as it will be collateral damage to all of this.
I can almost guarantee that Musk will censor independent auto journalists on Twitter (Car and Driver, Motortrend etc. ) if they review Tesla's as sub par compared to other competing EV's

Revelation

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:57 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

True, but that's a double-edged sword. He's already made his opinions known on US Presidential politics and on the Russia-Ukraine war. Before Musk, Twitter was viewed as more or less neutral. Now it is not. That not only alienates those in opposition to his stances, it also alienates those who thought they were using a neutral platform.

It isn't mainly about finding and retaining employees, it really comes down to how much time users are willing to give to Twitter. That's what advertisers pay for, and these days both users and advertisers are at best keeping their distance from the toxic pall that Musk has cast onto Twitter.

Advertisers don't really *need* Twitter. At best it is a way to build brand awareness. There's plenty of other ways to do that. And now being on Twitter creates a negative image of their brand, which is something they really don't need.

william

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:05 pm

Revelation wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

The same can be said of Steve Jobs, another 'tech bro'.

Agree.

It's hard to switch jobs in the US till you get the green card. Lots of the people here on work visas have their partners and families local so losing a job can mean making life-changing decisions for them and their families. Others are supporting their families in their home countries. Most will prefer to gut it out rather than to leave.

Basically, Twitter will be now run largely by indentured servants needing to work at high intensity on 80+ hour weeks to avoid being deported.

Nice to see you posting again Rev, miss you on the aviation side.

True of these tech giants and inventors, many here who products they enjoy. You think they are humble? To get an idea through everyone arounds say is impossible, takes being anal sad to say. Twitter will be fine, it may look a lot different, and there are many rumors of it being transformed into something else, so we will see.

Maybe the most stupidest phrase will fade away into obscurity, "its gone viral". Who cares.

mxaxai

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:11 pm

Revelation wrote:

That sounds like exploitation facilitated by immigration laws.

casinterest

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:48 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Revelation wrote:

That sounds like exploitation facilitated by immigration laws.

It happens though

H1B visas are a crutch of the tech industry.

bluecrew

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:01 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Emphasis mine.

I think this is a really, really important point that can easily get glossed over. Elon runs SpaceX and Tesla like a slave driver - I have friends in engineering and tech who wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, because while it's probably great on a resume, and cool work, they don't want to ride out a decade working 16-18 hours a day, at an office or campus, with limited to no blended or remote opportunities.

Twitter? It's just another tech company. Why deal with Elon's threats and posturing, threatening managers and employees alike if their reasoning isn't good enough for approving remote work. Not offering a glimpse into the comp structure, stock options, the future of the platform, just a "You're in, and you'll be here every day, all day," or you're fired.

Why would you work there, instead of say, Google, Salesforce, or another AAA tech company. Even with job cuts, there's still going to be a lot of mobility in tech, and plenty of jobs to fill. I can't fathom why anyone would want to put up with this.

Revelation

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:31 pm

bluecrew wrote:
Twitter? It's just another tech company. Why deal with Elon's threats and posturing, threatening managers and employees alike if their reasoning isn't good enough for approving remote work. Not offering a glimpse into the comp structure, stock options, the future of the platform, just a "You're in, and you'll be here every day, all day," or you're fired.

Why would you work there, instead of say, Google, Salesforce, or another AAA tech company. Even with job cuts, there's still going to be a lot of mobility in tech, and plenty of jobs to fill. I can't fathom why anyone would want to put up with this.

One of the lures in the tech world is stock ownership via grants or discounted purchase plans. Now Twitter is privately held, so that seems to be a non-factor. Also, would you want to be taking the bet that Twitter will be appreciating in value with Musk in charge, when as you point out there's other places to work that are much better bets? Then there's the whole working your ass off for that jackass thing. It's easier to talk yourself into it when you're building a rocket or an electric car, less so when you're a slave bandaging together a broken social media web site.

Vintage

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:37 pm

bluecrew wrote:
I can't fathom why anyone would want to put up with this.
It seems obvious that the people with weak resumes, poor performance reviews and/or few friends are the ones who will stay, while the gogetters will go. Elon is probably going to be stuck with all the dead wood.

It has been noted before that Musk isn't a people person.

StarAC17

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 pm

Revelation wrote:
One of the lures in the tech world is stock ownership via grants or discounted purchase plans. Now Twitter is privately held, so that seems to be a non-factor. Also, would you want to be taking the bet that Twitter will be appreciating in value with Musk in charge, when as you point out there's other places to work that are much better bets? Then there's the whole working your ass off for that jackass thing. It's easier to talk yourself into it when you're building a rocket or an electric car, less so when you're a slave bandaging together a broken social media web site.

He wants all of his companies private is because when he mistreats his labour force or runs his mouth people can't sell the stock.
Public shareholders have a benefit and a drawback. They typically want quarter to quarter returns and they will not be pleased with a short term profit for a long term gain. However they tend to deservingly punish scandals like this.

Imagine if Twitter was public and where its stock price would be, in the toilet.

casinterest

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:51 pm

https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon ... 022-11-18/

He said the engineers should report at 2 p.m. on Friday.

First they lock everyone out, now the engineers have to come and beg for the jobs they already have.

Toxicity.

I have to imagine the engineers would be pissed off to have to give up their weekends to go explain what they already are doing to a man just looking to fire more people.

cpd

Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:22 pm

If Musk keeps carrying on in his current way then there will be nothing left of his investment.

Those people can go work elsewhere and get decent pay, they don't have to work for this guy. Eventually he will have to grovel and beg to get people back.

TangoandCash

Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:35 am

I can't wait for the movie version of all this. "How to Burn Through $44 Billion"

bluecrew

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:02 am

TangoandCash wrote:
I can't wait for the movie version of all this. "How to Burn Through $44 Billion"

For sure, the folks behind WeCrashed or Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber should be gleefully sketching out a TV show at this point. The Super Pumped guys are already working on a Facebook series, maybe in a couple of years.

ltbewr

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:40 am

TangoandCash wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised as a documentary by a news station like CNN, BBC. For sure it will become an example in business schools of how to destroy a company and waste $44 Billion.You can't make it up as to what has happened at Twitter in the last 2 weeks. Of course, conservatives love it that Twitter is being destroyed for what they see as excessive censorship on what could be posted by racists, anti-vaxers, White Supremacists, Neo-nazis, election deniers and anti-LGTBQ's and that their workers have to work more that 2 hours a day, without perks. To use a phrase once used when Boeing had serious business problems in the 1970's in the Seattle area, 'will the last person to leave turn the lights out'. With the mass attrition and evacuation at Twitter, it look like Musk may be that last one left.

c933103

Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:36 am

casinterest wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon-musk-asks-twitter-software-engineers-report-office-email-2022-11-18/

First they lock everyone out, now the engineers have to come and beg for the jobs they already have.

Toxicity.

I have to imagine the engineers would be pissed off to have to give up their weekends to go explain what they already are doing to a man just looking to fire more people.

Isn't it only in Middle East that Friday is weekend?

SL1200MK2

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:41 am

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon-musk-asks-twitter-software-engineers-report-office-email-2022-11-18/

Toxicity.

Technically, yes. However, it’s typically a dick-move to call an important meeting on a Friday afternoon. I’ve been with a few companies here in SF that do stuff like that and they never last long.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:50 am

The Bee has been let out of Twitter jail!!

https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/statu ... 4666402816

c933103

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:54 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Toxicity.

Technically, yes. However, it’s typically a dick-move to call an important meeting on a Friday afternoon. I’ve been with a few companies here in SF that do stuff like that and they never last long.

After reading into the report, it seems like they aren't calling for some sort of important meeting, but rather is requesting a report of summary of work of them in the past 6 months, but the most disturbing thing is to ask employees who are away to fly in immediately

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:56 am

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

He needs a poll to judge his mental health. He won't have any advertisers left, at this rate.