Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

penguins
Topic Author

Dominoes Pizza

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:01 am

I am curious if this forum enjoys that famous Michigan-based pizza chain. I have found the quality to vary widely by location.... The best pies I have tried have been in Iceland and. Crust-wise: you cannot beat the hand stuffed crust, although it does pack a calorie punch. The cheesy bread is also nothing to sniff at!

Kent350787

Re: Dominoes Pizza

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:55 am

The master franchise in Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Luxembourg, Denmark and Taiwan is owned by Dominoes Pizza Enterprises, an Australian company. There are around 700 stores across Australia.

Selling pretty darn average pizza, but my youngest son enjoys their BBQ meatlovers. Other than when it's the only option, his pizza is the only Dominoes we buy, with the rest of us buying ours from pretty much anywhere else - there are around a dozen or more better options in our suburb or those next door.

A101

Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:15 am

Kent350787 wrote:
The master franchise in Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Luxembourg, Denmark and Taiwan is owned by Dominoes Pizza Enterprises, an Australian company. There are around 700 stores across Australia.

Selling pretty darn average pizza, but my youngest son enjoys their BBQ meatlovers. Other than when it's the only option, his pizza is the only Dominoes we buy, with the rest of us buying ours from pretty much anywhere else - there are around a dozen or more better options in our suburb or those next door.

Yes they are nothing flash just something to fill the hole in your belly

Don’t know if it’s just me getting older but I can only eat the fast food stuff if I’m only really hungry as a last resort

HD some McDonald the other day it tasted like cardboard

Kent350787

Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:47 am

A101 wrote:
HD some McDonald the other day it tasted like cardboard

Funnily enough, the 14yo Dominoes lover works at the McD's directly opposite.

My thoughts on franchised fast food are pretty much aligned with yours.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:15 am

LOL, literally just ordered before I came on here.

I usually hit Domino's simply cause its cheap - $9 for a medium two topping is hard to beat these days. As for taste and quality, its definitely a pretty piss poor pizza. But I do like the Brooklyn.

Kent350787

Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:26 am

ACDC8 wrote:
LOL, literally just ordered before I came on here.

I usually hit Domino's simply cause its cheap - $9 for a medium two topping is hard to beat these days. As for taste and quality, its definitely a pretty piss poor pizza. But I do like the Brooklyn.

Whoah, Dominoes is expensive in the US. With the easily available discounts, a "classic range" large (11") such as the BBQ meatlovers is $7.95 aussie pickup. There are both cheaper and more expensive options. Admittedly that $7.95 pickup becomes $15 delivered.

B777LRF

Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:36 am

Domino’s had to completely shut down in Denmark a few years ago, due to repeated breaches of health regulations at a number of their “restaurants”. This included re-labelling expired food with new “use before date” stickers; poor facilities for personal hygiene; storing ingredients at too high temperatures; severe issues with dirt and (lack of) cleaning and; rat infestations.

All of the above landed them in a huge sh1t storm in both “real” and social media, to the point where they had to shut doors and regroup.

I’ve tried their pizzas a couple of times, seriously underwhelmed regarding both quality, taste and price. However, this place is awash in small independent pizza pushers, who offer both vastly superior quality and more reasonable prices. The price of a BBQ chicken, pick-up, is almost 15USD. The small independent pizzerias usually charge less than 10USD for something similar.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:27 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Whoah, Dominoes is expensive in the US. With the easily available discounts, a "classic range" large (11") such as the BBQ meatlovers is $7.95 aussie pickup. There are both cheaper and more expensive options. Admittedly that $7.95 pickup becomes $15 delivered.

Sorry, I'm in Canada.

The "Feast" pizzas here typically go for about $16 for a medium (12"). They do have some good deals now and then like last week, any "Feast" pizza for half price. Price is the same if you pick it up or get it delivered.

Little Caesars used to have a $5 medium pizza, but its pretty well inedible.

Pizza Hut used to be the best, don't know if its just part of getting older or if they're quality has gone down as well, but it just doesn't seem to be nearly as good as it once was.

Lots of good local pizza shops nearby though - a tad on the pricey side, but sometimes one needs to pay for quality.

Not to get too far off topic here, but one of my favourite pizzas (and cheapest) is that pizza slice joint on Fremont Street in Vegas - their sausage pizza is so good.

A101

Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:55 am

Talking about dominoes just come across this in Sydney (Chatswood)

You want a baked cockroach with that?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... 40304b9f0e

johns624

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:33 pm

It's better than Little Caesars, but that's damning with faint praise.

casinterest

Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:32 pm

johns624 wrote:
It's better than Little Caesars, but that's damning with faint praise.

Yep, that about covers my comments on it.

NIKV69

Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:14 pm

I think their pizza is gross. Papa John's was a little better.

Mortyman

Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:20 pm

Nothing special

Aesma

Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:11 pm

I mostly eat pizza at an Italian restaurant on work days, and sometimes at another, posher Italian restaurant when my boss offers to go there.

However from time to time I will order at Domino's, especially is there is some kind of promo going on, and since I have two of them a couple of minutes away by car. There are plenty of other pizza joints, but all of them are operated by muslims, and thus it's all chicken bacon, chicken ham, etc., thanks but no thanks.

seb146

Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:44 pm

Dominoes is too greasy. Any of the "fast food" pizza places are, it seems. Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars are all greasy and taste about the same. We have a regional chain called Abby's and they are really good. I want to go back to Seattle for Zeke's and Pegasus and Pagliacci's. I hear there is a Pegasus Pizza in Eugene, but I doubt it is the same.

Kno

Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:57 pm

Once in awhile I order it late night after going out for drinks.

It’s poor quality but tasty enough - I appreciate that their pepperonis are actually crispy and not greasy.

Plenty of fantastic pizza in Boston so it’s really only worthwhile at 2am when I’m out of range for better late night spots.

bhill

Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 pm

It's .....fast food pie....you get what you pay for....

AtomicGarden

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:31 pm

I tried it once in NY a few years ago and it wasn't worth it. I prefer Sbarro's (and my gf loves them) and even Pizza Hut. But then again, is US style pizza really a pizza? I don't like US style pizza.

DocLightning

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:05 am

Interestingly, there is one place in the world where you can get Domino's pizza not at Domino's. It's Dominic's in Ann Arbor, MI. Apparently the founder of Dominics worked with Tom Monahan, but Dominic wanted to run a restaurant and Monahan wanted an empire. So Dominic's serves the OG Domino's recipe, but it isn't Domino's.

ACDC8

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:14 am

seb146 wrote:
Dominoes is too greasy.

Thats surprising to hear, up here in Canada, their pizza is as dry as the cardboard its placed in. The only one that has actually has a decent amount of oil/grease is the Brooklyn.

Back in the day, the Pepperoni Lovers from Pizza Hut would ooze grease and oil, but today, even that one isn't what it used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like an overly greasy pizza either, but with American style pizzas, ya gotta have some oil/grease.

T18

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:35 am

Honestly the best stuff at Dominos isn't the pizza imo. If I want chain pizza isa Papas but if I want quick pasta, hot sandwiches or some chicken bits its Dominos. that mango habanero sauce is soo good.

seb146

Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:51 am

bhill wrote:
It's .....fast food pie....you get what you pay for....

This sums up the thread.

WidebodyPTV

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:20 am

Domino’s is heavily underrated: good pizza, and if you stick to promotional pricing, the best value around. For example, there’s an ongoing carry out special: large three-toppings for $7.99. From January-May, you got a stackable $3 coupon each time you choose carry out (brings the special to 4.99). And Multiple sources sell gift cards cheap — we paid $70 for $100 at Costco over the Holidays.

Dominos’ menu pricing is similar to most premium pizza joints. You’d be a fool to pay those amounts.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:31 am

If you want cheap pizza, go to a good supermarket, buy something there, take it home and put in the oven in your own kitchen. You will end up with reasonably good quality for a cheap price.
I've spent too much time in Italy, including plenty of time in Naples where pizza was invented, to know what the good stuff tastes like.

Places like Domino's are for those with little or no sense of taste, and see food only as a form of fuel to provide a required number of calories.

readytotaxi

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:41 am

Since learning to make my own dough about 10 months ago, from YouTube, I have never bought one since. There were a couple of failures along the way but nothing bets home made now, just takes a little planning, and it's fun.

Kno

Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:08 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If you want cheap pizza, go to a good supermarket, buy something there, take it home and put in the oven in your own kitchen. You will end up with reasonably good quality for a cheap price.
I've spent too much time in Italy, including plenty of time in Naples where pizza was invented, to know what the good stuff tastes like.

Places like Domino's are for those with little or no sense of taste, and see food only as a form of fuel to provide a required number of calories.

Dominos largely thrives off of drunk people ordering it long after everywhere else is closed.

Nobody’s coming home from a fun night at the club or the bar and crafting up a homemade pie.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:12 am

Kno wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Dominos largely thrives off of drunk people ordering it long after everywhere else is closed.

Nobody’s coming home from a fun night at the club or the bar and crafting up a homemade pie.

I don't propose anybody coming home drunk, putting on an apron and spending time rolling dough, mixing up tomato paste, grating cheese, etc...
It is however possible, even at 2 am after a night out, to take an uncooked ready-made pizza in a box from the supermarket out of the fridge, put it in the oven for 15 mins to cook, and wait until the timer beeps.

marcelh

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:27 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

:checkmark:

Here at my local Italian restaurant (owners of Italian descent) I pay for a pizza 14-20 Euro. Home made sauce and fresh ingredients only.

Kno

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:51 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Kno wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

I don't propose anybody coming home drunk, putting on an apron and spending time rolling dough, mixing up tomato paste, grating cheese, etc...
It is however possible, even at 2 am after a night out, to take an uncooked ready-made pizza in a box from the supermarket out of the fridge, put it in the oven for 15 mins to cook, and wait until the timer beeps.

Ah see that’s one market I think dominos has beat - haven’t had store bought pizza that’s up to par.

Which ones do you recommend?

stlgph

Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:45 pm

i've had *Domino's* Pizza....

penguins
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:50 pm

stlgph wrote:
i've had *Domino's* Pizza....

30 posts in and you have to be the pedantic one... LOL

Airstud

Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:17 pm

I only get pizzeria pizza from the big chains when it's 50% off. Tried Domino's for the 1st time coupla years ago and have nearly no complaints but no enthusiasm either. The Brooklyn one was actually way gross, but trying to be a grown-up about money I decided to put it in the fridge and endure the rest of it, maybe 1 slice @ a time with a Pepsi chaser.

The next day, the re-heated Brooklyn pizza tasted really good. Way better than when it was fresh from the oven. :boggled:

OzarkD9S

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:09 pm

I live in STL and the local pizza places DESTROY Domino's, P Hut, Papa J's etc....Hell, I make my own at home that taste better than the chains.

Boeing757100

Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:38 am

It's ok. But I haven't had domino's in a really long time since my family always gets Pizza Hut (which I don't especially like either). But I like homemade pizza better than the chains especially after my dad told me as a little kid of a story when he went into a pizza hut, the guy was rolling dough and then started picking his nose!

T18

Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:49 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
I live in STL and the local pizza places DESTROY Domino's, P Hut, Papa J's etc....Hell, I make my own at home that taste better than the chains.

I really hope you are not calling Imos pizza ;)
But you are spot if you mean somewhere like Racanellis

BHMNONREV

Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:56 pm

T18 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

While not bad in a pinch, Imo's is still better than the national chains.

When I'm in STL it is always Faraci's for me.. :)

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Not the best, not the worst. It is convenient though. When I used to be driving home from work along Skyline BLVD, I would call the Dominos in Pacifica, place my order. I would just get home, change into my sweats, crack open a cold beer and ding-dong here's your pizza. Life could get only a little better.

Georgetown

Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:48 am

I can be a total pizza snob given the opportunity. Sally’s in New Haven, Tony’s in SF, yadda yadda. But I gotta say, sometimes nothing will scratch the itch quite like a dominoes pepperoni thin crust. Pretty much Michelin star stuff after a couple beverages.

Jshank83

Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:13 pm

BHMNONREV wrote:
T18 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

While not bad in a pinch, Imo's is still better than the national chains.

When I'm in STL it is always Faraci's for me.. :)

You can buy dough at Deweys. I do that a lot and make my own on the grill.

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:02 pm

I prefer MOD Pizza where you can control everything that goes on your pizza and it is extremely fresh!!! Because of MOD Pizza, I have stopped getting pizza from Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa Johns (GROSS!) and the other big brands.

luckyone

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:25 pm

I've never cared much for it. If somebody's serving it I'll eat it, but I find their pizza too "saucy," and the sauce rather sour and too acidic for my liking. I have my personal favorites that are usually local places. If I must order a chain takeout, I would prefer Papa Johns because IMHO they put less sauce on their pizza.

seb146

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:14 pm

One thing that bothers me is I see ads for Marco's but I don't think we have Marco's on the West Coast. It looks as bad as Little Caesars but I would still like to try it. But I can't because they are nowhere near here. Why do companies do this? I see Popeye's ads too but they are much closer.

casinterest

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
One thing that bothers me is I see ads for Marco's but I don't think we have Marco's on the West Coast. It looks as bad as Little Caesars but I would still like to try it. But I can't because they are nowhere near here. Why do companies do this? I see Popeye's ads too but they are much closer.

We have Marco's here. a bit overpriced for what they offer, but they have some nice specialty pizzas .

Is your computer homed to a VPN that is in another location for work?
That usually affects the ads

bpatus297

Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:10 pm

I wonder how many people changed dinner plans to eat pizza after reading this thread. LOL

seb146

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

We have Marco's here. a bit overpriced for what they offer, but they have some nice specialty pizzas .

Is your computer homed to a VPN that is in another location for work?
That usually affects the ads

We have cable and that is where I see the ads. ESPN and Cartoon Network (Adult Swim) and MTV.

Kno

Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Georgetown wrote:
I can be a total pizza snob given the opportunity. Sally’s in New Haven, Tony’s in SF, yadda yadda. But I gotta say, sometimes nothing will scratch the itch quite like a dominoes pepperoni thin crust. Pretty much Michelin star stuff after a couple beverages.

This guy knows!

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:50 pm

T18 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I find Imo's too chain-y as well. And no deal for the price. There's a place called Omar's near my house that serves pretty decent pizza and Nick & Elena's isn't too far away either, but they've shut down twice for Covid so I'm more making-it-myself at this point.

Aesma

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:36 am

bpatus297 wrote:
I wonder how many people changed dinner plans to eat pizza after reading this thread. LOL

I did when I posted my answer last week. I checked my local domino's and discovered there is a promo price every Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I took advantage of it.

Reinhardt

Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:06 am

Awful here in Germany. I have no idea what their pizza bases are made of but it's nothing close to what proper pizza should be. There are tons of places with proper wood fired pizza ovens which are incredibly close to Italian Pizza, as it should be and barely more expensive. You can customise them and have virtually whatever you want, all 1000% more fresh and better tasting. And with delivery services it takes no longer to be delivered.

I have no idea why anyone buys from them any more.

bpatus297

Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:15 am

Aesma wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I did when I posted my answer last week. I checked my local domino's and discovered there is a promo price every Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I took advantage of it.

Ha, nice.