Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml

Re: Dominoes Pizza

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Haven't had Domino's in years. Of the two chains, I prefer Papa John's.

That said, we now live half a mile from our local pub which not only brews its own beer, but also make their own wood-fired pizzas. They're simply the best pizzas I've had outside of Italy. The beer's pretty damned good as well. We're off their tonight with our daughter and son-in-law. :bouncy:

casinterest

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:34 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Awful here in Germany. I have no idea what their pizza bases are made of but it's nothing close to what proper pizza should be. There are tons of places with proper wood fired pizza ovens which are incredibly close to Italian Pizza, as it should be and barely more expensive. You can customise them and have virtually whatever you want, all 1000% more fresh and better tasting. And with delivery services it takes no longer to be delivered.

I have no idea why anyone buys from them any more.

Apparently a lot of people.
https://ir.dominos.com/news-releases/ne ... nationally.

t ranks among the world's top public restaurant brands with a global enterprise of more than 18,800 stores in over 90 markets. Domino's had global retail sales of nearly $17.8 billion in 2021, with over $8.6 billion in the U.S. and over $9.1 billion internationally. In the fourth quarter of 2021, Domino's had global retail sales of over $5.5 billion, with over $2.6 billion in the U.S. and nearly $2.9 billion internationally.

csturdiv

Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:57 am

I never thought about making my own pizza until moving to Australia. Pizza here is not like the US. Dominos here is bad, just bad. And many smaller pizza shops do not have pork sausage, based on religious beliefs. So I've mastered making dough and make a pretty good pie.

AirKevin

Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:24 am

bpatus297 wrote:
I wonder how many people changed dinner plans to eat pizza after reading this thread. LOL

Not me. I drive a truck for a living, so I only get to eat what's available where I am. Pizza generally isn't on that list.

Kno

Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:48 pm

AirKevin wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
I wonder how many people changed dinner plans to eat pizza after reading this thread. LOL

Not me. I drive a truck for a living, so I only get to eat what's available where I am. Pizza generally isn't on that list.

Where are you driving that pizza isn’t available?

Aesma

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:38 pm

casinterest wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:
Awful here in Germany. I have no idea what their pizza bases are made of but it's nothing close to what proper pizza should be. There are tons of places with proper wood fired pizza ovens which are incredibly close to Italian Pizza, as it should be and barely more expensive. You can customise them and have virtually whatever you want, all 1000% more fresh and better tasting. And with delivery services it takes no longer to be delivered.

I have no idea why anyone buys from them any more.

Apparently a lot of people.
https://ir.dominos.com/news-releases/ne ... nationally.

t ranks among the world's top public restaurant brands with a global enterprise of more than 18,800 stores in over 90 markets. Domino's had global retail sales of nearly $17.8 billion in 2021, with over $8.6 billion in the U.S. and over $9.1 billion internationally. In the fourth quarter of 2021, Domino's had global retail sales of over $5.5 billion, with over $2.6 billion in the U.S. and nearly $2.9 billion internationally.

Before COVID I visited Viet Nam and one night went eating at a Domino's in my grandfather's hometown. Lots of young people, all excited, you could see this was the "place to be". Despite a pizza costing way more than the average meal.

phugoid1982

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:59 pm

In the states theyir regular crust isn't my thing. But their thin crust with garlic sauce rather than their disulgusting tomato sauce is absolutely delicious!!

AirKevin

Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:21 pm

Kno wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Where are you driving that pizza isn’t available?

TA and Petro truck stops don't have pizza. Some TA's have Sbarro's inside, in which case pizza is there provided they are actually open. Some Pilot truck stops also don't have pizza. Keep in mind I drive a 72-foot long tractor-trailer, so finding a place to stop to get something to eat isn't as straightforward since most restaurant parking lots aren't big enough for us to maneuver around.

Vintage

Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 am

The Dominos chain gives up on Italy. Closes all the stores.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/09/worl ... ew_arm_5_1

ACDC8

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:15 am

Vintage wrote:

I saw that story last week - pretty bold move Domino's even opening up there in the first place lol.

Boeing74741R

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:40 pm

Here in the UK, Domino's are generally a rip-off unless you've got a coupon and you're willing to collect (coupons for collections sometimes differ from coupons for deliveries). We occasionally get one if we have a BOGOF coupon as my wife has a gluten intolerance and they offer a gluten free base that most other takeaways and even quite a few Italian restaurants don't offer. If I'm getting a takeaway pizza for myself, an independent takeaway is usually preferred on price grounds.

However, close to me an independent pizza restaurant that does fantastic pizza and offer GF bases as an option has recently started trialling deliveries. If they stick with it I know where I'll be ordering from in the future instead of the takeaways or Domino's.

Vintage wrote:

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Altimeter2992

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:41 pm

The pizza is sub par

WidebodyPTV

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
Here in the UK, Domino's are generally a rip-off unless you've got a coupon and you're willing to collect (coupons for collections sometimes differ from coupons for deliveries). We occasionally get one if we have a BOGOF coupon as my wife has a gluten intolerance and they offer a gluten free base that most other takeaways and even quite a few Italian restaurants don't offer. If I'm getting a takeaway pizza for myself, an independent takeaway is usually preferred on price grounds.

However, close to me an independent pizza restaurant that does fantastic pizza and offer GF bases as an option has recently started trialling deliveries. If they stick with it I know where I'll be ordering from in the future instead of the takeaways or Domino's.

Dominos is like Kohls: menu prices are high, but there's perpetual sales and coupons. For example, all pizzas are 50% off the menu price this week. Alternatively, if I walk into my local Dominos, I can get a three-topping carryout for $8. It's not the best pizza, but it's good, and it's great value for the money. Much better than Costco, IMO, which for some reason is the sales leader in much of the Los Angeles area.