Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Democrats as the Party of Life

Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:40 pm

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... past-year/

By and large the counties as growing versus shrinking coincide with voting Democratic versus Republican. Even more interesting, they probably coincide with positions on abortion. Most pro-choice areas are also strong believers in families, marriage, and looking after children. And in our state leave assault rifles to the military and police.

LabQuest

Re: Democrats as the Party of Life

Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Hard to get pregnant living in a tent on the street though. Not enough privacy from all the druggies waling about.

AirWorthy99

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Interesting, Deep blue Washington State as a measure to determine the Democrat party as the 'Party of Life".

Wonder why Starbucks decided to close shop in those areas where life is so good.

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 pm

The facts contained in that article are just that. And likely would hold throughout most of the US. Seattle, per last elections, is addressing its crime problems. Homelessness is national problem, and likely will not be solved without some Washington DC involvement. A true factoid: about five years ago Seattle beat out Salt Lake City on percent of children living with both mother and father.

ps - one of the reasons I favor immigration is that the US needs more workers if we are to compete with China, not all that many but several tens of millions. White people are not reproducing themselves.

seb146

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:40 pm

Here's what Republicons forget about "but... SEATTLE!!" or "but... SAN FRANCISCO!!!" or "but... PORTLAND!!!": Democratic controlled legislatures for those cities actually pass laws that cover the entire state. So, the higher minimum wage in Seattle actually helps people in places like Moses Lake and Spokane and the affordable health care for Portland residents actually helps people in Burns and Bend and so forth.

There are two movements here in Oregon that would either make southern Oregon counties and far northern California counties an independent state, which would be governed much like Texas or Florida or, the other movement, is to join Idaho, which would come as a complete shock to those Republcons who are supporting this path. Idaho has income, gas, sales, and property tax (Oregon has no sales tax), minimum wage is lower in Idaho, marijuana is completely illegal in Idaho (it is one of our top crops) and women's reproductive freedom is a joke there, as well.

Yes, I know how I spelled the name of the political party. There is a reason for that. See: post #3

c933103

Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:39 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/two-thirds-of-wa-counties-had-more-deaths-than-births-this-past-year/

By and large the counties as growing versus shrinking coincide with voting Democratic versus Republican.

... Isn't it a result of urbanization making city population younger?

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:29 am

It does have that function. Rural America's major export for scores of years are its bright adventurous high school graduates. On the other side, Seattle lost a lot of young families some 50 years ago with an asinine decision to integrate schools the whole city over by two hour busing for everyone. My mordant comment at the time, Let the Kids pay for the Sins of the Fathers. It took maybe 30 years to recover. Schools are at least OK now, my grandkids are doing great. (the previous plan was to improve integration of all schools, and go on a national hunt for the greatest minority teachers, especially black men, I thought that a super plan. It was producing good results. The new plan resulted in an exodus of families from town and they had to fire all the teachers without seniority.)

TriJets

Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:12 pm

Interesting that most of the fastest-growing states happen to be red. I guess a lot of people like their "assault" rifles after all.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-a ... on-in-2021

LCDFlight

Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:51 pm

seb146 wrote:
Here's what Republicons forget about "but... SEATTLE!!" or "but... SAN FRANCISCO!!!" or "but... PORTLAND!!!": Democratic controlled legislatures for those cities actually pass laws that cover the entire state. So, the higher minimum wage in Seattle actually helps people in places like Moses Lake and Spokane and the affordable health care for Portland residents actually helps people in Burns and Bend and so forth.

There are two movements here in Oregon that would either make southern Oregon counties and far northern California counties an independent state, which would be governed much like Texas or Florida or, the other movement, is to join Idaho, which would come as a complete shock to those Republcons who are supporting this path. Idaho has income, gas, sales, and property tax (Oregon has no sales tax), minimum wage is lower in Idaho, marijuana is completely illegal in Idaho (it is one of our top crops) and women's reproductive freedom is a joke there, as well.

Yes, I know how I spelled the name of the political party. There is a reason for that. See: post #3

Minimum wage laws do not help poor people. They harm the poorest people and teenagers, making it illegal for them to work. It criminalizes giving opportunities to low wage workers who are early in their development. Because hey... poor people and young people shouldn't be part of our community, right? That's why I buy fair trade coffee, too... I want my coffee grown by middle class people. To hell with poor people! Right?

seb146

Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:26 pm

TriJets wrote:
Interesting that most of the fastest-growing states happen to be red. I guess a lot of people like their "assault" rifles after all.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-a ... on-in-2021

Moving to those states has zero to do with guns. It has more to do with rents being lower. But, many people quickly realize their tax dollars are not being spent on things that matter, like schools and health care. Talk about those who regret leaving Democratic controlled states.

seb146

Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:27 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Minimum wage laws do not help poor people. They harm the poorest people and teenagers, making it illegal for them to work. It criminalizes giving opportunities to low wage workers who are early in their development. Because hey... poor people and young people shouldn't be part of our community, right? That's why I buy fair trade coffee, too... I want my coffee grown by middle class people. To hell with poor people! Right?

Giving people who need more money is bad? How?

Aesma

Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:17 pm

Too high minimum wage can have that effect. The minimum wage in some US states is ridiculously low.

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:55 pm

Two people in Seattle working at the minimum wage and full time are just at the edge of being able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment within about 5-10 miles from city center. World class cities need a lot of minimum wage workers - food service, hospitals, retail etc - if they are doing essential work they deserve to have an OK life. I realize at lot of people disagree.

c933103

Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:49 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Two people in Seattle working at the minimum wage and full time are just at the edge of being able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment within about 5-10 miles from city center. World class cities need a lot of minimum wage workers - food service, hospitals, retail etc - if they are doing essential work they deserve to have an OK life. I realize at lot of people disagree.

Two problems here.
1. The amount of housing units available within a city's commutable distance for the city's population, which will particularly affect low income workers since they have least money to pay for rent, but will also impact people across all classes of a society. The low density development mode of many American cities make the number of housing available within commutable distance relatively limited. Thus they either have to move further out or sacrifice some other things for a shorter commute.
2. Commute distance vs time. 5-10 miles from city center is close. If a city have reasonable amount of heavy rail service, then the commuting perimeter should be able to extend to like ~50km+, and still have workers reaching city center from home in about half an hour, probably add some more minutes for door to door commute time at both ends. That would increase the amount of housing that can be choose by an ordinary worker with reasonable commute time significantly.